AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking for a new anime for me to watch. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=66461)

network 2008-05-14 20:54

Looking for a new anime for me to watch.

I am having troubles trying to find a nice, decent, new anime to watch. It feels like ive watched them all. Can anyone please help me in recommending me a new anime? Ive already tried somethingawful and 4chan, but they weren't that much help. :(

Here's a pic of my current anime collection.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9676/42309721xw0.jpg

qtipbrit 2008-05-14 21:12

Damn you people and your large hard drives.

But before recommending anything, which of these did you enjoy the most?
Anything particular about some of them that you especially liked?

Kind of irrelevant, but you could group your movies together in a single movie folder.
[Movies]
-Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
-[Makoto Shinkai]
--Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place
--5 Centimeters per Second
-[Satoshi Kon]
--Millenium Actress
--Paprika
-[Ghibli]
--Mononoke hime
--Nausicaa
--etc.

Or just all of your movies in one folder.

james0246 2008-05-14 21:41

You might want to take down your pic, if for no other reason than the majority of the anime you have listed on your computer are in fact licensed in America. I doubt anything will come from you posting this picture, but it is always better to be safe in these circumstances.

That being said, you already have some of the best newer shows, so is there anything else you would like, a specific style or demographic or genre?

qtipbrit 2008-05-14 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by james3wk (Post 1594291)
You might want to take down your pic, if for no other reason than the majority of the anime you have listed on your computer are in fact licensed in America. I doubt anything will come from you posting this picture, but it is always better to be safe in these circumstances.

No, it's fine. OP probably ripped them off of the official R1 DVD release and is just keeping them for archiving purposes.
Even Rozen Maiden and Code Geass. :D

Speaking of Rozen Maiden, you might want to try out Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which has three seasons, so it'll keep you entertained for a while. They both focus on overmoe magical characters (though MGLN isn't about dolls in a literal sense.)

And as for currently airing series, you might want to also try out Macross Frontier, which is a mecha/action series with what seems to be a touch of romance.

Utau 2008-05-14 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 (Post 1594305)
Speaking of Rozen Maiden, you might want to try out Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, which has three seasons, so it'll keep you entertained for a while. They both focus on overmoe magical characters (though MGLN isn't about dolls in a literal sense.)

Like he said, you might want to try MGLN it is one of the best animes you can get.

Also, I recommend Seto no Hanayome for a doze of laughter ;)
Oh and, telling us what type of genres you prefer will help you a lot.

network 2008-05-20 19:09

Bump, I need more suggestions.

cerrian 2008-05-20 19:28

There's a ton of stuff you haven't seen, so forgive me for just throwing a list at you without links or summaries. I did give a recommendation for each genre though.

Action/Adventure:
Baccano (highly recommended)
Mnemosyne
Angel Heart
Full Metal Alchemist
Black Lagoon

Mecha:
Macross Frontier (highly recommended)
Full Metal Panic
Gunbuster I & II

Drama:
Monster
xxxHolic
Denno Coil
Nodame Cantabile
Honey and Clover (highly recommended)

Slice of Life:
Aria (highly recommended)
Maria-sama ga Miteru

Comedy:
Zero no Tsukaima (highly recommended)
Ouran Host Club

Romance:
School Days
Strawberry Panic (highly recommended)

ESC 2008-05-20 19:33

Seto no Hanayome. It is a must...
Great Teacher Onizuka is also a must...

If you are only willing to watch animes airing this season then I recommend To-love-Ru.
My recommendations are all comedy and are also slightly ecchi.

Mirrinus 2008-05-20 20:16

Your list looks suspiciously similar to mine...

My pick of the season would definitely be "Nijuu Mensou no Musume" ("The Daughter of Twenty Faces"). Action, adventure, and mystery, with a well-written plot and good storytelling. It's only up to 6 episodes so far, but it's done well as of now. Not a terribly well-known show, but a solid choice.

Oh, and I second "Baccano!". You guys can tell I'm just a sucker for post-WWI era stories, eh? That's probably how Last Exile got so high on my list of favorites...

miaka 2008-05-20 21:55

saiunkoku monogatari - historical/drama/politics
Sola - action/romance
ghost hunt - mystery
Tsubasa Chronicle - action/adventure
persona
shigofumi

network 2008-05-30 14:46

Im still having troubles trying to find new anime to watch.

My friend transfered some more files over to my computer (animes that he has bought/legal fansubs).

Here is an updated list btw:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1885/animuny3.jpg

Niji 2008-05-30 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by network (Post 1623872)
Im still having troubles trying to find new anime to watch.

My friend transfered some more files over to my computer (animes that he has bought/legal fansubs).

Here is an updated list btw:

(snip)

You have a very interesting collection there :)

Try Samurai Champloo, quite funny, quite cool, quite addicting sword play anime. Since you liked Planetes maybe Black Heaven (NOT if you dislike hard-rock) Tortov Roddle, for a quicky (cuz of Kino and Ginko-san, though it is a bit more crazy imo). Maybe Wolf's Rain since you have some darker anime in the list. Twelve Kingdoms maybe. One of my favorites I mention too, without any reason :): Noir - Suspense, 2 cute female leads, pretty addicting, and high production values.

xxanimefan4_ever 2008-05-30 18:45

well you can re-watch death note if you saw kuro-hana's version cause kuro-hana sucks.... animanda or buy/rent dvd or watch dub

Samurai Panda 2008-05-30 20:30

Lulz, you asked 4Chan for help? Never repeat your mistake again.
Hmm, I see you're missing Fullmetal Alchemist. As far as I remember, I've yet to here negative review on the series and with a clever story line, and good contrast of characters, it 's almost "God-like". If not that, then give my favourite anime series a shot: One Piece(though the Manga surpass' it by far). Awesome story line, a hell of a load of enemies, nice cast of characters and I've yet to see a bad Arc in this anime/manga. In the end though, it all really comes down to your anime interests.

network 2008-05-31 14:24

Oh, just as a clarification with all the suggestions:

FMA - I already watched all of it and hated the ending to it.

I sincerely hate anything by Clamp or Shonen Jump (except deathnote, they produced that anime, they didn't make it) and I think of them as a disgrace to anime.

network 2008-06-03 07:46

another bump

Boduar 2008-06-03 22:12

After rewatching Kiba I have to say its probably one of the best action/adventure anime out there think it finished ~1year ago. Has a very nice storyline and main character and the ending is probably one of the best conclusions imo.

Edit: Oh yeah another one if you want a short 6 episode ova would be Murder Princess (its what my avatar is from). Its basically 6 action packed episodes with a story line.

Reckoner 2008-06-04 22:26

Now and Then, Here and There- Interesting story. It's a tiny bit old though.

MONSTER <---- 74 episodes of pure goodness

Samurai Champloo- Probably the best stylistic samurai show ever done

Cowboy Bebop- How have you not seen this? Wonderful anime.

Wolf's Rain-Good beginning, slow middle, great end

Neon Genesis Evangelion - You might want to catch the new movies of it being released after watching this series, first one was great. Mostly for sentimental reasons, I consider it my favorite show of all time.

Shigurui, Beserk, Gungrave...

You've seen Parprika, but have you seen any other of Satoshi Kon's works? Every single one of them are wonderful works. His best two are probably Millennium Actress and Paranoia Agent. Perfect Blue and especially Tokyo Godfathers are also very good as well.

I think you still have a bunch of anime out there you need to see, if you want more suggestions, I have plenty more :).

mandarb916 2008-06-06 22:30

Someone mentioned ARIA...along a similar line (and ironically, similar VA's)...Kaleido Star is really well done imho and Gonzo's (arguably of course) best work...somewhat like an anime version of Chicken Soup for the Soul, but much faster pace than ARIA in general. It's about a girl who's dreamt of joining the Kaleido Stage (think Cirque du Soleil...as it's based heavily aound that) and comes to San Francisco from Japan, alone...following her trials, tribulations, successes, etc. Almost every episode is heart warming in one way or another, and there are quite a few emotionally moving moments small and large, throughout all 51+ eps.

network 2008-09-06 11:54

another bump, still looking for new anime to watch.