AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Problem: Forum lag (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=95148)

felix 2010-07-05 12:34

Forum lag

Forums seem unresponsive, or otherwise very slow. I can't be sure if the "very slow" is actually the browser retrying to send the request though.

Anyone else experience this?

Kaze 2010-07-05 12:48

Not at the moment, no
But if I encounter any problems, I will post here ;)

NorthernFallout 2010-07-05 12:49

Working as normal for me, despite heavy load on connection from other sources. Haven't noticed earlier either.

AnymX 2010-07-05 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3122581)
Forums seem unresponsive, or otherwise very slow. I can't be sure if the "very slow" is actually the browser retrying to send the request though.

Yea I get the same problem. The page loads like 5 times slower.

felix 2010-07-05 14:13

Its back to normal for me now.

Gin 2010-07-05 23:41

Every now and again I get this problem. I know its not my connection because other sites still load really fast.

Arbitres 2010-07-05 23:55

I experience it more than everyone else does, it seem.

My dial-up actually becomes familiar with frequent places and downloads them quicker - My profile, which I've been to several million times take quite awhile to load - I'd have to assume that's forum lag. Since I ultimately disconnect.

Since the site is mostly text (I try to avoid places with lots of videos posted) it is easy to find it acting up.

No problem today though.

SeijiSensei 2010-07-07 07:33

GET actions are usually fairly quick, but POST actions can sometimes encounter lag. I'd guess it's database contention. It's visible but hardly that annoying. I just reload once or twice, and the problem disappears.

Another type of lag occurs when people have graphics stored on public image-sharing sites which can often be slow. I'll see most of a page load then hang. Looking at the status bar shows I'm waiting on a linked asset from a image-sharing site.

MeoTwister5 2010-07-07 07:36

I only get lag during posting, but when I don't it really only comes on image-heavy pages.

felix 2010-07-07 07:58

The lag I experienced was not anything like that. The document would not load at all (no html no nothing). The entire [blank] page would hang for around 15 - 25 seconds, then it would load. That's why in the first post I described the problem as the forum being "unresponsive."

Gin 2010-07-08 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3126631)
The lag I experienced was not anything like that. The document would not load at all (no html no nothing). The entire [blank] page would hang for around 15 - 25 seconds, then it would load. That's why in the first post I described the problem as the forum being "unresponsive."

That's the kind of lag I get sometimes.

Kudryavka 2010-07-10 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3122581)

You don't think that it's just your internet connection? If the forum isn't screwing up for everyone, only you, then how is it the forum's fault? [/serious question]

Kotohono 2010-07-10 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komari (Post 3133362)
You don't think that it's just your internet connection? If the forum isn't screwing up for everyone, only you, then how is it the forum's fault? [/serious question]

I've had it happen recently as well, and I know it's not my internet when my other tabs on other web pages aren't experiencing the lag.

felix 2010-07-11 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komari (Post 3133362)

Every other site on the net worked 101%, so no.

Kudryavka 2010-07-11 04:23

Mm, okay. I'm so black and white, sorry. :eyespin:

CMSensei 2010-07-11 13:05

Yesteday when I went on this site it was not laging, but today its laging and sometimes I would get a [blank] page then have to refresh the page.
Edit: well it seems to happen now and then

GHDpro 2010-07-11 13:50

FYI: I'm not ignoring this thread, but this problem is something I can't replicate here. I've never noticed the forum lagging or pages not loading. Server load in any case should not be a problem as the server is significantly overpowered hardware wise.

Kotohono 2010-07-11 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro (Post 3134562)
FYI: I'm not ignoring this thread, but this problem is something I can't replicate here. I've never noticed the forum lagging or pages not loading. Server load in any case should not be a problem as the server is significantly overpowered hardware wise.

Just what I am noticing on FF, sometimes when I attempt to open multiple tabs of the forums[sections, or threads] at once I'll get 'lag', like for example if I click to open Shana, K-ON, and General Chat in separate tabs then the pages will just keep loading until I stop of them and refresh one at a time, then it tends to load right.

SeijiSensei 2010-07-14 22:55

I encountered the blank page problem today. I looked at my AdBlock Plus preferences and saw there are two scripts that load routinely. One of them I block (from edge.quantserve.com) though I don't block the googleapis ajax script. I've noticed that links to third-party scripts can sometimes cause hangs if the third-party server is heavily loaded and takes a while to reply. Reloading the page with the ABP preferences page open made me wonder if that might be the problem. I doubt it's a local script issue, but who knows?

GHDpro 2010-07-15 01:35

Both scripts are at the bottom of the page and shouldn't affect the loading times to much. Both should also be common enough that most people probably have them cached in their browser already.

felix 2010-07-15 05:03

Seiji, the quantserve thing is a tracking system. It may be part of vB as a means of statistics, I honestly can't say for sure. Its pretty common these days though. The google ajax api is more or less a javascript optimization. By loading the script from google you take advantage of a sort of cross-domain cache. Say you go to domain1.com and load it, when you go to domain2.com you don't load it.

As GHD mentioned, you have them cached. But lets assume they weren't. The site would be slow for the first time, but the next time you loaded it would definitely be cached! At least if all worked well. Are you still using the FF4 beta?

I'm pretty sure document gets priority over this sort of content anyway; so no blank screen.