AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Oh! Edo Rocket (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=43308)

monir 2007-02-20 18:28

Oh! Edo Rocket

http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/1189920c.jpg

Animation Production: Madhouse

Genre: Alternate History, SciFi

Expected Release Date: April 2007

Nakashima Kazuki is the original creator of this title. He is apparently a well known name in the division of performing arts in Japan.

Main Cast & Staff info:-
Fujimura Chika as Sora
Soumi Yoko as Tamaya Seikichi

Director: Mizushima Seiji
Art Director: Higaishi Junichi
Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro
Music: Honmaa Ysuske
Director of Photography: Morishita Seiichi
The synopsis in the following is taken from Anime Days:
Year 1842, 12th year of the Tenpô era. To the twilight of the Edo era, we follow the steps of a Master bomb disposal expert and his young friend in Tokyo where fires of artifices became illegal with the eyes of the imperial capacity. While the reforms of Mizuno Tadakuni make devastations in main Japon.Le bomb disposal expert receives one day a strange request of a young woman of the name of Sora: to carry out a fireworks which will rise to the skies in order to awake the population tokyoïte).
What impresses about this show is the detailed information regarding the staff and the cast on the show, and yet, there is no official website promoting it. Unfortunately, I also couldn't find a synopsis. Will update when more information becomes available.

edit: (2-21-2007) Added synopsis, all thanks to Sonhex!

NeoSam 2007-02-20 18:45

Thats the cover of the book the anime is based on :)

Not only an anime is starting, but also a manga based on the book is starting serialization in the April 2007 issue of the seinen manga magazine Afternoon :)

7Th 2007-02-20 18:59

Huh? I already knew about Ooedo Rocket... but isn't the Seiji guy set to direct that new Gundam series with Loveless mangaka designs?

monir 2007-02-20 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoSam (Post 839153)
Thats the cover of the book the anime is based on :)

A novel based show!? My expectation has gone up a few notch. Madhouse seems to be gearing up for a very busy year. This is like their 6 or 7 show they intend to produce within the month of July of 2007.

NoSanninWa 2007-02-20 21:37

From my persepective it is unfortunate that they are releasing this and Claymore at the same time.... Which show will get their best animators? :(

7Th 2007-02-20 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa (Post 839297)
From my persepective it is unfortunate that they are releasing this and Claymore at the same time.... Which show will get their best animators? :(

Is that even a question? Dennou Coil, starting in May, is the Madhouse show set to get most of their best staff. Hell their main staff is pretty much composed amazing sakuga creators, like Takeshi Honda or Iso Mitsuda, it's been more than 10 years on the making and it's the only one going on National TV. Expect something beyond Paranoia Agent, the studio technically best TV release to date.

Don't worry about it going out at the same time as other Madhouse productions, though as most animators are, even if sometimes loosley tied to a show or company, freelancer. The thing is, with the huge amount of movement heavy anime coming on spring, as Seirei no Moribito, both Bones shows Gurren Lagann or Gigantic Formula, I have zero expectances for Claymore to be graphically decent for more than 2 or 3 episodes.

duckroll 2007-02-21 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 839285)
A novel based show!? My expectation has gone up a few notch. Madhouse seems to be gearing up for a very busy year. This is like their 6 or 7 show they intend to produce within the month of July of 2007.

No, it's actually based on a stage play. The author of the original stage play is the lead writer of Gurren Lagaan. EVERYONE seems busy this Spring.

NeoSam 2007-02-21 03:03

Maybe its better to change the title of this thread to Oh! EDO ROCKET as mentioned on the cover of the book in english.

monir 2007-02-21 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoSam (Post 839541)
Maybe its better to change the title of this thread to Oh! EDO ROCKET as mentioned on the cover of the book in english.

Good point! :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckroll
No, it's actually based on a stage play. The author of the original stage play is the lead writer of Gurren Lagaan. EVERYONE seems busy this Spring.

Ah, I see. It makes sense considering the author is such a known name in the Japanese division of performing art. Thanks for the clarification! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa-san
From my persepective it is unfortunate that they are releasing this and Claymore at the same time.... Which show will get their best animators?

I was waiting for AniDB to return from it's down time before I replied. Well.. here is a list of all the show Madhouse was involved in (production & financial) that aired in year 2006:

Kiba - 51 episodes
Nana - 50 episodes
Strawberry Panic - 26 episodes
Saiunkokou Monogatari - 39 episodes
Black Lagoon 1st & 2nd season - 24 episodes
Yume Tsukai - 12 episodes
Otogi-Juushi Akazukin - 39 episodes
Kemonozume - 12 episodes
Taiyo no Mokushiroku - A Spirit of the Sun - 2 episodes TV special
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo - Movie (this one actually got a few awards)
Death Note - 39 episodes
Tokyo Tribe 2 - 13 episodes [amazing background animation]
Paprika: movie [involved as financial production]

Most of the above show has appealed to a various types of audience of various genre. Madhouse is pretty consistent at capturing the mood of a given series, so I think there is not much cause for worries. Wao has a post on Madhouse in the Claymore thread that I agree with. They are quite capable of handling a heavy loads of schedule. Beside, they have pretty much completed most of the series they were working on from 2006.

So far the shows Madhouse is to take part in 2007:

Devil May Cry: 12 episodes
Calymore: ??
Princess Resurrection: ??
Denno Coil: ??
Piano no Mori: movie
Highlander: Vengeance - movie

So, yes! I think Claymore will have it's desired impact on its fan without loosing a beat.

Sonhex 2007-02-21 14:24

Some scans of the characters and monsters. Is that an Edo-era Eureka I see? :p

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/2...et01pk6.th.jpg

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8...et02bo9.th.jpg

And synopsis:

Quote:

Year 1842, 12th year of the Tenpô era. To the twilight of the Edo era, we follow the steps of a Master bomb disposal expert and his young friend in Tokyo where fires of artifices became illegal with the eyes of the imperial capacity. While the reforms of Mizuno Tadakuni make devastations in main Japon. The bomb disposal expert receives one day a strange request of a young woman of the name of Sora: to carry out a fireworks which will rise to the skies in order to awake the population tokyoïte.
From Anime-Days

monir 2007-02-21 14:37

Huzzah! Sonhex is back and comes bearing gift. I'm glad my premonition about you getting crushed by a mecha or an over-weight Yanks was unfounded. :D Yes, I noticed you took a couple of weeks break, especially after the lack of posts in Getsuman to Heiki Mina. Shall add the synopsis as soon as I press submit. *submits.

Sonhex 2007-02-21 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 840035)
Huzzah! Sonhex is back and comes bearing gift. I'm glad my premonition about you getting crushed by a mecha or an over-weight Yanks was unfounded. :D Yes, I noticed you took a couple of weeks break, especially after the lack of posts in Getsuman to Heiki Mina. Shall add the synopsis as soon as I press submit. *submits.

He-he, mechas and overweight Yanks I can deal with, work and real life on the otherhand. :p

Oh! Edo Rocket looks kind of fun, I've seen the character artwork in Newtype before but didn't know what it was. April = busy busy month.

Nightengale 2007-02-21 20:59

Fireworks....How ironic.

I was just hoping/dreaming last night that Madhouse would suddenly jump to animate a manga which was about a young boy using fireworks to kill people, and now they tell us they're going to animate a novel of a young boy using fireworks to respark life.

Anyway...I'm not specifically if I should be thrilled or worried. At least, the 2nd page interest me more than the 1st.

NeoSam 2007-03-08 17:48

Official anime site:
http://www.ohedorocket.jp/

Sonhex 2007-03-13 16:48

My spamming of the boards continues with some screens from Oh! Edo Rocket (courtesy of Manuloz)...

Guess it'll have a lot of comedy aswell as historical themed action. Could be a fun mix and one of those unexpectedly good animes that sneak up on you (maybe). I like the character designs a lot, especially Eureka Sora and that oji-san in the pram (guess the homage lol). Though the monster in the screen reminds me of the catgirl from Darkstalkers...:p

Sonhex 2007-03-24 10:40

Trailer from TAF on Youtube. Madhouse being mad again. :p

Haohmaru 2007-03-26 19:54

This doesn't look half bad. I like the style of this anime and it looks like it has comedy in it too. The animation seems good too.
Not much about the story. Hope this turns out to be a good one.

monir 2007-03-26 19:59

I think this might be the type of series where the audience gets to laugh their hineys off and can still have some moments of serious introspection. As usual, thanks for the spam Sonhex

digiboy123 2007-03-30 07:44

Yay, a colorful and firework filled anime. Can't wait.

Sonhex 2007-04-03 15:58

Thing that really appeals to me about these screens, beside the madcap humour and char design, is the distinctive look of the backgrounds. Brush and watercolour style and lots of detail. Very stylized sure, but looks so well done. Hats off to Madhouse's versatility. Not sure where the monsters will fit in though :p