AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

DarkWarrior 2006-12-29 14:27

The thing that irritates me about Strike Freedom's gold plating is that Bandai didn't even bother to gold plate all the visible gold parts. They half-assed it and just plated some of the visible parts, which ruins the whole point of gold plating since the colors doesn't match.

I've been messing around with some gold paint to get the color that I want, but this is definitely going to take awhile. And what's funny is that I bought the SF-FB version specifically to avoid painting.. yet here I am. Seriously, wtf Bandai? Last time I fall for your marketing schemes.

Sorry, needed to vent. :heh:

dagr81 2006-12-29 14:57

your should wait lear your lession well young one lol. but good thing i waited on that i was going to pre-order it

Meehlimo 2006-12-29 20:16

Get this kind gold spary paint Rust-oleum specialty metalic gold best gold i have ever seen for models. Almost resembles brass finish.

Mr Chow 2006-12-30 03:57

Kia Ora all! I'm new to the forums, and have just recently discovered this site (thanks to Google!!). I have been collecting Gundam models for only the last few months from a friend that directly imports them from HK, and have only assembled a 1/144 Strike Gundam (from Seed series) and found them to be lacking in details and that "WOW!!" factor. So have decided to concerntrate on the more HG and PG series of models, or which the HG come in around the 1/100 and 1/60 mark and the PG only in 1/60.

I have only about 7 in my collection to date and judging by the quality of Bandai's products and my bank balance, I don't think that I will be giving up too soon. Thanks in part to my daughter who keeps in saying that its cool that dad is doing something besides drinking and smoking!! So in the meantime thanks for having me here and I hope you all can give me some advice on where I can get the paint markers (0.02 - 0.04) around where I live; Auckland, New Zealand?

When I get the chance I will put up some of the better assembled models and maybe if time allows some model progression pics of the PG Strike Gundam when it arrives from HK next month!

So take care and be safe in the new year all.

Haere ra

WaytoDawn 2006-12-30 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavehawk (Post 782724)
- Well, there's actually TWO Tamiya gold paints (Enamel): Gold Leaf and Titanium Gold. Titanium Gold is less 'shiny' than Gold Leaf, but it more resembles the kind of "gold" parts you see on computer chips or high-performance machinery (such as sportscars). Gold Leaf is closer to the actual metal. IMHO, Titanium Gold is better, but I suggest you look at finished models with both kinds of paint then decide for yourself.

- IMHO, I go for (Testor's) Dullcote, but that's because I prefer not to have a glossy look to my MS. I can't say for glosscote, but Titanium Gold under Dullcote is OK--then again, it's not as shiny as Gold Leaf.

- If you apply Dullcote to a gloss paint, the color will dull. In fact (I mentioned this in this thread awhile back), for some Master Grade kits, all you really need is a layer of dullcote to make it look good, because it gets rid of that "plasticky" gloss look. So yes, a gloss caint will be flat or matt in appearance when you coat it with dullcote. I can't say if the reverse is true (flat paint and gloss clearcote), since I've personally never tried it.

Thanks a lot for all this details!!!I truly am grateful. Now, my final problem is this, i can't seem to find any sort of topcoat or clearcoats where i live. that is, in Malaysia. And if purchasing these things online is not an option, where can i find the gold leaf type paint and topcoat here? The local Tamiya shop said that they have not received any stock of topcoat here for quite a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meehlimo (Post 783574)
Get this kind gold spary paint Rust-oleum specialty metalic gold best gold i have ever seen for models. Almost resembles brass finish.

Erm, i have never heard of this brand of paint, where can i purchase it?

kct 2006-12-30 13:09

Which part of Malaysia do you live at? Or you can try to ask the guys in lowyat.net forum's GunPla thread, they can be of some help (sometimes, very helpful).

~Destiny~ 2006-12-30 22:35

Hi all, I was just wondering how do you make sure paint wont scrape off when you're finished the model. I've painted a few HG's now, the paint on joints and beam saber handles seem to come off of the plastic quite easily.

guttertrash 2006-12-30 22:56

Hcm Pro Zeta

Hello all!

I just purchased the HCM PRO MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam and I have completely put it together, except I cannot figure out how to attach the base stand to it. Usually, my other gundam models are able to fit their stand snug in between their legs but this gundam has no slot or space available for me to attach the stand. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? Please let me know! Thanks in advance.

dodgethis_sg 2006-12-30 23:16

Gloss coat then flat coat. Gloss has a tough finish and the flat is to kill the gloss.

Meehlimo 2006-12-30 23:22

You can get that gold spray paint at any hardware store.

WaytoDawn 2006-12-31 05:34

I live in Kuala Lumpur. Btw, Meehlimo, when you say ANY hardware store, does that include ACE hardware store??

Meehlimo 2006-12-31 15:44

yes probably i got mine at home depot

~Destiny~ 2006-12-31 16:53

Here's some of my earlier models, not exactly well done but still isn't that bad.
1/144 Gunner Zaku
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9899/img0842an9.jpg
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/9489/img0843to6.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/27/img0846ns6.jpg

1/144 HG Gouf Ignited
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8841/img0857lf4.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/19/img0879kp1.jpg

Meehlimo 2006-12-31 17:35

Those kits look fine whats wrong wit em lol?

kuraishi 2006-12-31 22:58

Hey i just got my strike freedom .. the FB one ... ( talk about getting riped off) well i was wondering i want to keep that same gold of the plates but the thing is when u cut it of the runner it will have that ugly mark which you would usually sand of but due to its like gold coated I wont be doing that but dose anyone know what will cover up the cut mark? like touch up markers? or like paint?..

well for the non shinny gold ill be geting MR.colours gold paint and i was wondering if that gold would look any good? help would be good ...

last questiong ..... ive made a pg strike , crossbone and wing and sprayed over them with Mr.superclear semi gloss so does that mean if i spray over it with matt would i get the matt effect?

Fafnir 2007-01-01 03:21

Wow... Dalong's comparison between Freedom and SF really show how guady, ugly, and... well... shitty SF's design is(not even an MG incarnation can save it from that it seems...).

Not to mention, people who bought FB got totally ripped off by Bandai...

Meehlimo 2007-01-01 04:29

You have no idea that gold plating is the worst kind of crap gold u could ever get. The poster was cool tho.

mangatron 2007-01-01 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafnir (Post 785595)
Wow... Dalong's comparison between Freedom and SF really show how guady, ugly, and... well... shitty SF's design is(not even an MG incarnation can save it from that it seems...).

Well, looking at this makes me appreciate the SF more than the Freedom, actually. For one thing it really confirmed to me how skinny the Freedom really is (back at home I always wondered if it was the skinniest thing around :heh: ), and holding the Freedom in my hand I really really thought it was too small for enjoyment, and with the comparison yeah Freedom really is a midget lol, the shoulders look a bit odd to me, the knee is (the fattest limb? lol...), I've always thought the feet look like they should've been redesigned, legs are up and down, and....what is with that large rear skirt? While it may not look bad on paper, I can imagine Freedom doing a split to dodge only to have the rear skirt blasted off :heh: :heh:

That said, I do feel myself liking the anime Freedom more than the anime SF, but you have to admit.....the MG SF did make an improvement over the 1/100 SF :heh:

I guess, to fix whatever fault the MG Freedom may have is to Perfect Grade it. There, much better :p

And why is everyone saying the FB MG SF(lol abbs) is a ripoff? I mean, be realistic people, it's not like you're putting your entire life insurance or retiement policy into a model kit....last I checked, I buy things because I wanted it. So how many people here bought the FB MG SF thinking it was the ultimate bling?:heh:

People, please, all I ask is that you remember the past :heh: I mean, who can forget the banana Ballute Hyaku-Shikish MG? Or, minus them event-only's, the only recent gold equivalent I can find on a large scale is the Gryps War HG Zeta 1/144 pack, that to me, has a comparable gold scheme as the SF does. So, remember that Gold paint is a rather pricey thing, and with the right type of gold painting it can cost quite alot.... I can go on and on about painting, like how costly it is for even a mediocre painting service, but my point being, I'm sure Bandai didn't want to lose PS3-type amounts of money, and at least they did a service to those who don't have the time and free-luxurious time to paint a model kit themselves......

That said I look forward to collect whatever SF comes along. No, I'm not a SF fanboy, I just like model kits with alot of gimmicks. Behold, my near wobbly Aegis Gundam :heh: which, I will also note, I say to you all don't trust pictures. They don't really grasp the joy of actually having it in your hands, as in my case that Aegis of mine was more pink in person than it was on Dalong's site, which ended up not helping me :heh: and also prompted me to phase-down paint it without a second thought :heh: and, someday when I get alot of money I'll give a little back of what Bandai "ripped you off of" to some of you, and this I am serious. I just feel bad when people pour alot of resources into a anime related item and not liking it, as in my case I seem to like whatever I buy, no matter what others say about it....

I don't know, I'm odd, weird and different that's for sure :heh:

WaytoDawn 2007-01-01 08:24

Well,well,well...I c the FB is seriously getting more and more people to complain about it. I'll most likely be getting mine tomorrow at XL Toys if it is out. Even so, i guess it will only be sitting in the closet until i can find topcoat and the recomended paint by you guys here.*thanks again!*Another reason is because school is reopening this wed so i guess I won't have a lot of time to fix it, let alone paint it.

Btw, whats the brand of top coat you guys use here? Btw, kct, have you bought topcoat b4 around KL?

Oh yea, can the fingers of SF move individually? And are there a second set of hands in the FB kit?

kct 2007-01-01 12:35

I have not bought any topcoat so far, since I have only 1 MG kit right now. Ask the guys in the link I give in one of my posts above, they can give you tips (all of them locals).

Oh yeah, someone in the same thread is working on a MG S-Freedom to, you can check the pics there.