AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Mr Chow 2007-01-05 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNT1 (Post 789602)
^not a good idea.

Stubs/cut marks will be blatantly visible when the part is cut off from the runner.

I use to do that in the past when spraying, but believe me it makes the job a whole lot harder! Save the time and remove and sand the part first then spray it, you'll love the end result.

Mr Chow 2007-01-05 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWarrior (Post 789247)
Bandai usually posts the exact release dates for their merchandise on their hobby site. However they haven't posted anything for January yet, so we'll just have to wait until then.

Can I get this in english? Or is this asking too much!! I don't mind keeping up in the know on whats coming up, but its hard trying to make sense of all the characters. :confused:

LoweGear 2007-01-05 05:13

In fact, there is an english version of the site. It looks different, but it'll have mostly the same content.

Bandai Hobby English

Nightengale 2007-01-05 07:22

I've stopped buying GunPla for quite a while ever since that traumatic experience I dubbed The Father Menace, and considering it's a new year, I would want to pick it back up...

I'm pretty much ascertained which MG I am going to get back from the dead (( and repaint )) like Aile Strike, Acguy, Freedom, S.Freedom but I'm wondering if those Patlabor MGs are worth their cash? Especially Griffon Type Flight. I've seen the Dalong reviews, but they aren't quite accurate enough to gauge the size and frame quality, and my eyes get distracted by it's sleek bling bling too much to look at it without bias.

M_Flores 2007-01-05 09:02

M Flores is back - get ready to weep

Ok anyways, I recieved my MG SF FB last year, around 5 days after release date (notice I havent been posting ever since that date, lol) and thoughts...

First off, I do not feel ripped off at all. I knew what I was getting and was willing to pay for it. A little background on me, I am no pro modeller and although I've seen, watched, looked and read about Master Grade kits, this kit is probably the first MG (and possibly the last) I have built. I am a Freedom-fanboy and I like it's design and especially the Strike Freedom. Why? Explanation comes later.

Anyways, first of all, before I'll bombard you with pics, I'll just give a lo-down of what I've done. I've decalled it, minor panel lining (I've used a light and dark shades and a little bit of smudge on the shoulders because i'm a fukn noob, but thankfully, it can be erased later, I'm just lazy.)
I'll probably be the very few to say that I like the gold on this (compared to the normal version anyway) and I don't mind that some parts are just caramel coloured - I appreciate the gold on it especially on the chest cannon and the various joints. Also, however, I'd say the decals of the normal MG is slightly better than the FB decals - check dalong.net and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Anyhow, I haven't really done anything too special with it, aside from do poses from the box art and stuff, however, I have finally completed and done prototype versions of the M Flores special - WINGS OF PAPER.

As a test or draft, I refined my 1/100 Destiny Gundam's wings of paper from what you saw in my previous pics, to a better, more dramatic tracing paper with pink highlight on it - which is better than the previous plain pink I've used because the tracing paper gives a more translucent look.

Now that I've seen how good it looks on Destiny 1/100 (IMO, anyway), I decided to carry out what I've always planned to do if I'd ever get my prayers answered for an MG SF. And although the dragoon effect parts seemed very cheap and poorly attempted, it still succeeds in posing the dragoons in flight which was the main point I was after. Fair enough that they didnt include the wings of light we wanted - I could make that myself. But something to display the dragoons in flight, I was glad they came with something.

The poster - a little disappointing. I expected a great epic, dramatic, tuff, legendary looking artwork potrait or landscape whatever of Strike Freedom. Oh well, my fault for keeping my hopes up.

Anyways, I'll post pics soon of what I've done so far, since I did four sections instead of two (Destiny Gundam) for the wings of paper, some of them look a little uneven and the bottom wings seem slightly larger than the top ones, so I'll have to trim it a little and since its tracing paper, its really thin so the wings flop from side to side every once in a while but it doesnt look too bad right now IMO.
I can finally do the Legend getting owned pose, except I don't have a Legend Gundam, lol.

I love this kit to death, and even though I haven't painted it, modded it, pro-touched it, I am happy with what I have paid for and everything that came with it (as well as didn't come with it).
The very first time I saw an MG Freedom was (aside from the boxed one, at the shops) was when I saw one at my ex-girlfriends house on display. It had the cliche title-mecha pose (where the wings are spread, legs together, arms are open, etc.) and a picture of us in the background. Because we were both a fan of SEED, the Freedom Gundam (and in some cases, also the Justice Gundam) we thought was very cool and dramatic and epic and shit whatever, all this "Neither will alone, nor strength alone" crap really got to us and fell for all its fanservice and rice. So yeah, the Freedom Gundam was kinda symbolic in a way, and this MG Freedom she had was really awesome, I thought damn, such accuracy, detail, and just awesomeness - something I have never experienced in any of my 1/100 HG kits. It was one of the most beautiful decorative items I've seen and I wanted something similarly dramatic/epic/whatever/etc.
However, admiration soon led to envy (lol), so I said to myself, I must get one!
But then all my other friends got one, and every mecha talk around that time was Freedom this, Freedom that. Pfft Wing Zero, pfft Double X, pfft Nu Gundam, pfft God Gundam.
I resisted all the temptation to get an MG Freedom despite all the fanservice and promos and marketing devices. And then came along GUNDAM SEED DESTINY.
There was the OMGWTF DESTINY GUNDAM MOTHERFUCKER BITCH WHAT.
So, I got a 1/100 Destiny Gundam. Loved it to pieces. But in didn't have the magic of a Master Grade kit like my ex's Freedom did.
I wanted an MG Freedom, but I didn't wanna be reminded of her own. There was only one way for me - to get an MG Freedom Gundam that surpassed an MG Freedom Gundam!

And so, GUNDAM SEED DESTINY PHASE 39 is released.
An upgrade, fully tuned, modified, riced up version of the Freedom Gundam appears. Aha! It symbolized that the greatness of what everyone was talking about the Freedom could be taken even further beyond. I avoided the 1/144, 1/100 and the 1/60 SF despite all the fanservice, promos, marketing tools, etc. It must be a Master Grade. I have to have a decoration that is more breathtaking that my ex's MG Freedom.

...Two years later... Gunota announced MASTER GRADE STRIKE FREEDOM GUNDAM, DECEMBER RELEASE. The theme of "Renewed Strength and Justice" off phase 39 played endlessly in my head. But there was a catch - there will be TWO versions of the kit!
So I decided, to get the Special Options model because I might as well get the full appreciation for Bandai's own MG SF to add an exclamation point after having my prayers answered.
Not only will I get an MG Freedom that surpassed an MG Freedom, but I will also get the special version of it, no matter what comes with it or not.

So basically, not only did I get the Full Burst because of the features, but also just because I can say that I got a full burst model rather than the standard. Like how people don't waste money buying NSX's because they're fast, they buy it because it's an NSX. I bought the FB model because its recognised as a special (although not limited) version of the MG SF and being one of the few ordained (or... according to some people, ripped off) ones who managed to score one of these babies was good enough for me.

Then came Dec. 27th 2006 - MASTER GRADE STRIKE FREEDOM GUNDAM FULL BURST MODE MOTHERFUCKER BITCH WHAT

*T.M Revolution - Vestige*
I know this is a little extreme, but I have waited so long for this kit, I even left work early because I had to build the legs and skipped lunch with my ex because I wanted to build the wings. (lol sad yes I know, shut up!)

There's my little story to show my appreciation for this (probably final) kit I get of Gunpla. Of course, I'm a bit about theatricality, so I made this story a little more dramatic and epic and whatever, lol.

And the above is why I'll always believe the FB > Normal.
From here on, I'll let the upcoming pics do the talking.

'Til then,
M Flores, ikimasu!

DarkWarrior 2007-01-05 10:27

^Wow.. a really long post. :heh: Well, I've completed painting all the ugly gold parts and just finished building the wings. And I'm not impressed with the wings at all. As dalong pointed out, the joints of the wings seem to wear down easily if you move it up and down. Mine is already showing some signs of wear.. I'm sure it won't last long if I move it around too much. Rest of the kit is awesome though, from what I've completed so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 789783)
In fact, there is an english version of the site. It looks different, but it'll have mostly the same content.

Bandai Hobby English

I wouldn't trust the english version of the site. It seems that they abuse babelfish, which leads to inaccurate information. They said that Strike Freedom would come with two beam shields (not true), and on the latest one "Crossbone Full Cloth"? Wasn't it suppose to be called Full Cross? :eyebrow:

MakubeX2 2007-01-05 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWarrior (Post 789963)
and on the latest one "Crossbone Full Cloth"? Wasn't it suppose to be called Full Cross? :eyebrow:

It was already "Full Cloth" on the X3/X1 Kai-Kai FIX Figuration Packaging. Most likely a mistranslation of the Katakana "クロス" (Ku-ro-su). Full Cloth sounds more logical.

Akyra 2007-01-05 13:48

Anyone know where I can find the 1/144 Dendrobium in HK or around San Fransico area? Even online is fine. My relos are coming for my graduation so i wanna try get my hands on one of those babies...shoulda got one when they re-released them!

jbui 2007-01-05 16:13

Nothing special but here's my Red Frame :) . Working on Freedom currently :heh:.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7083/yutyuke9.th.jpg

OneZaft 2007-01-05 17:11

[QUOTE=jbui;790276]Nothing special but here's my Red Frame :) . Working on Freedom currently :heh:.

Looks pretty nice, how did you get the panel lines looking so clean :heh:

Mr Chow 2007-01-05 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoweGear (Post 789783)

Bandai Hobby English

Is there! Thanks for the info, and Flores what a long post:D I've been building Gundams (hope you guys don't mind me calling them that?) for about the last seven months and have only concerntrated on the HG 1/60 and PG's series of the Seed series, I like the details and though the building sequence is pretty much the same for all I don't really mind though. I've been building models on and off depending on cost and interests as their not cheap to buy in New Zealand for about twenty years, at the moment I'm building some MG Aile Strike and another 1/60 Strike which is taking awhile due to all the spraying and fine detail work I'm putting into these two. And hopefully my PG Strike will arrive in the next few weeks, so that I can get some pics together to show you all.

Take care all

lycantivis 2007-01-05 19:21

Yea I finished my ZZ full armor no pics yet tho, next I just bought a MG Freedom and a MG Sazabi. I will probly do the freedom next seeing how I don't know how I want to custom the Sazabi yet cuase that model has so much potential as a custom.

jbui 2007-01-05 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneZaft (Post 790344)
Looks pretty nice, how did you get the panel lines looking so clean :heh:

All I used was the smallest of these kind of pens. http://artistcraftsman.com/Merchant2...0001/SPMPS.jpg
and an ordinary white eraser for any mistakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lycantivis (Post 790467)
Yea I finished my ZZ full armor no pics yet tho, next I just bought a MG Freedom and a MG Sazabi. I will probly do the freedom next seeing how I don't know how I want to custom the Sazabi yet cuase that model has so much potential as a custom.

Wow lycantivis, GP02, Strike, and now ZZ Full Armor, Freedom and Sazabi? Where you getting all the $$ and where you buying from?

Meehlimo 2007-01-05 22:22

Finished my Mg Strike freedom week ago here r some pics enjoy

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0047.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0048.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0052.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0050.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0046.jpg

And for you SRW fans my Wessy :D
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...o/IMGP0053.jpg

Shinku 2007-01-05 22:40

overall well done. lol the last picture caught me by surprise... cause u were showing off different poses for ur Strike Freedom and then the last picture was totally different. BTW which model is the last one?

Anyways, excellent job! ^.^

Meehlimo 2007-01-05 23:17

Its the wessiritter from super robot wars bandai owns em so they have some very gundamesc models i have 5 more i have yet to build.

Derringer 2007-01-06 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWarrior (Post 789963)
^Wow.. a really long post. :heh: Well, I've completed painting all the ugly gold parts and just finished building the wings. And I'm not impressed with the wings at all. As dalong pointed out, the joints of the wings seem to wear down easily if you move it up and down. Mine is already showing some signs of wear.. I'm sure it won't last long if I move it around too much. Rest of the kit is awesome though, from what I've completed so far.

It's not that the wings wear down if you move them up and down. The wing pegs need to be put together in exactly the right spot so the male and female portions line up perfectly. If it's off, it'll still rotate, but it will cause the tearing that was pointed out.

dj898 2007-01-06 08:00

When you cannot get the retro kit you are after... one thing you can do is build your very own kit. ^_^
And while you are at it might as well build in 1/100 scale instead of 1/144 scale...

Front
Back

You can read more about this build over here.

GameraBaenre 2007-01-06 15:45

Ok, I created this today to help folks take some better pictures.
http://www.gamerabaenre.com/lightbox.htm
When taking pictures, turn off the flash. The light box should be bright enough to take really nice pictures. Hope this helps some people.

lycantivis 2007-01-06 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbui (Post 790515)
Wow lycantivis, GP02, Strike, and now ZZ Full Armor, Freedom and Sazabi? Where you getting all the $$ and where you buying from?

Well the GP02, Strike and ZZFull Armor were all christmas gifts from people, as for the Sazabi and Freedom all I can say is I have a decent job where I can aford to spend a good chunck of money a month on gundams. As for prices I go to a collector show in california USA that has a dealer that sells gundams for their bar code retail price with no tax so the sazabi cost me $80 and the Freedom cost me $40. Like next time I go out to the show Im going to get a Wing Zero Ver Kai for $40. I also watch ebay for cheap deals like I just paid for a MG GP01FB for $22. And I'll be geting the MG EX-S next time I pull together another extra $80.