AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

ZeroXSEED 2014-03-25 02:48

I think I'll get ReZel if that's the case

Aurelis 2014-03-25 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5056753)
I think I'll get ReZel if that's the case

Having built the HGUC Nu, Nu HWS and ReZEL Type-C, I personally recommend the ReZEL if it's the Type-C version. The behemoth size, multiple equipment, transformation and relative good colors/details is pretty good value.

For the HGUC Nu, I actually like the base model more than the HWS. I think it's due to the lack of panel details on the additional armor, making the HWS look like a bulky and boring unit. You can get the base model in the HWS package though if I'm not wrong.

But with the Ver Ka around, you might find HGUC Nu to be very plain, especially in the shoulders and skirts sections.

PS: I'd get the Silver Bullet though. It's a top tier quality release from Bandai!

http://i.imgur.com/mnlBAZE.jpg?2

ZeroXSEED 2014-03-25 06:18

Nah, I decide to ignore MG a bit, at least until I have my own income and bigger place.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2014-03-25 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5055963)
Guys, I need advice

I think I will get one more HG before stop, but what could I expect from Nu Gundam and ReZel?

I don’t know anything about HG ReZel, but HG Nu is a rock solid kit (even the funnels are attached really good). Even though the exterior is not as sophisticated as Nu Ka, it looks elegant and one of the finest representation of the anime design to date in terms of kit. But if you have extra money, go get the HWS. That kit will provide you with option to display it either as normal Nu or the HWS version. So, if you want extra parts, go with HWS. But if you just want the Nu, go with the normal cheaper version.

I myself already have the HWS, but still considering to get HG Nu Extra Finish so that I can display both Nu & Nu HWS :p.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelis (Post 5056860)
PS: I'd get the Silver Bullet though. It's a top tier quality release from Bandai!

Which one do you prefer, the Gundam-head or GM-head? :D

StratoSpear 2014-03-25 07:39

Right after completing my Ver 3.0, I went on with the Duel. Took ~12 hours (split between two days). May sound very slow but that's my personal fastest building time thus far ^^"

Spoiler for Duel:

And I shall also ask again, how does one start custom painting Gunpla? I'm thinking of picking up the old HG Duel just for kicks. Do you just take a color spray can and paint the parts, or are there certain layers/coats I need to consider?

ZeroXSEED 2014-03-25 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by StratoSpear (Post 5056923)
And I shall also ask again, how does one start custom painting Gunpla? I'm thinking of picking up the old HG Duel just for kicks. Do you just take a color spray can and paint the parts, or are there certain layers/coats I need to consider?

Use very thin white or black spray as primer (black usually for metallic color)

Remember to separate parts and mask detail you don't want to color

However, if you panel line using other than pen/marker, better read a complete tutorial (you can find a lot of them).

And don't forget to take account into paint & marker type

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/paint.htm

kaizerknight01 2014-03-25 08:30

The HGUC ReZel and the Type C are quite good IMHO

Fireminer 2014-03-25 09:38

Better sketch it out (or color it on a computer) first, Strato.

Oh, and remember the ratio!

Aurelis 2014-03-25 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 5056895)

Which one do you prefer, the Gundam-head or GM-head? :D

http://i.imgur.com/1M2UUDj.jpg?2

I was pretty confident that I would only be interested in the Gundam head. But after looking at the slightly peculiar curvy-eye visor, I actually wanted a GM-head version. I was kinda hoping for a MK-V head. What about your preference?

So I got another one and hoping to paint it in GR colors :heh:

The big blocky parts are pretty well-separated, but I'm still considering about whether to use the wire-guided hands.

Providenceangle 2014-03-25 11:03

Quote:

Right after completing my Ver 3.0, I went on with the Duel. Took ~12 hours (split between two days). May sound very slow but that's my personal fastest building time thus far ^^"

Spoiler for Duel:

12 hours isn't that bad. Nu ver ka took me that long alone.

When it comes to painting, it's very important to be patient. That's the best tip I can give. It takes a lot of work to prep surfaces, prime, prep again, paint... And you can go even more into it with wet sanding. It's going to depend on your budget and the look you want in the end.

GameraBaenre 2014-03-25 12:16

Quote:

Spoiler for Duel:

Getting into painting is a good thing. Start slow. Work on making sure all the nubs are sanded and seams(if you do them) if not don't worry about that. After sanding, make sure you clean the surface to remove any finger oils or plastic dust from the sanding process, and other things that may be on the surface.

Get some bamboo skwers with aligator clips (found cheaply at any electronic shop, or even some dollar shops) Put skewers and aligator clips together. and use them to hold your parts. Clip your parts that you want to paint in the same color and stick the bamboo skewers on to a piece of styrofoam.

Grab a spray can (perferable formulated for models as the paint is finer and meant to be sprayed on plastic models), go outside, and carefully spray your parts while they're on the skewers.

Let the dry overnight, then assemble the next day.

It's how I got started. If you enjoy painting, then you may want to consider investing in other tools and such, but start with spray cans.

My most recent build, the Ver Ka Sazabi took about 72 days to complete, and using an average of about 3 hours per day working on it, comes to about 216 hours. The more you start building, painting, then modding, etc... the longer it will take to finish something.

StratoSpear 2014-03-25 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5056942)
Use very thin white or black spray as primer (black usually for metallic color)

Remember to separate parts and mask detail you don't want to color

However, if you panel line using other than pen/marker, better read a complete tutorial (you can find a lot of them).

And don't forget to take account into paint & marker type

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/paint.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireminer (Post 5056998)
Better sketch it out (or color it on a computer) first, Strato.

Oh, and remember the ratio!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Providenceangle (Post 5057054)
12 hours isn't that bad. Nu ver ka took me that long alone.

When it comes to painting, it's very important to be patient. That's the best tip I can give. It takes a lot of work to prep surfaces, prime, prep again, paint... And you can go even more into it with wet sanding. It's going to depend on your budget and the look you want in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre (Post 5057096)
Getting into painting is a good thing. Start slow. Work on making sure all the nubs are sanded and seams(if you do them) if not don't worry about that. After sanding, make sure you clean the surface to remove any finger oils or plastic dust from the sanding process, and other things that may be on the surface.

Get some bamboo skwers with aligator clips (found cheaply at any electronic shop, or even some dollar shops) Put skewers and aligator clips together. and use them to hold your parts. Clip your parts that you want to paint in the same color and stick the bamboo skewers on to a piece of styrofoam.

Grab a spray can (perferable formulated for models as the paint is finer and meant to be sprayed on plastic models), go outside, and carefully spray your parts while they're on the skewers.

Let the dry overnight, then assemble the next day.

It's how I got started. If you enjoy painting, then you may want to consider investing in other tools and such, but start with spray cans.

My most recent build, the Ver Ka Sazabi took about 72 days to complete, and using an average of about 3 hours per day working on it, comes to about 216 hours. The more you start building, painting, then modding, etc... the longer it will take to finish something.

Thank you very much for the tips, guys! I've been scratching my head thinking of the processes involved and I need the advice. ^^

Skye629 2014-03-25 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelis (Post 5056860)

http://i.imgur.com/mnlBAZE.jpg?2

You just had to show off that figure right? :P

Quote:

Spoiler for Duel:

Thats actually pretty damn fast, though it would have been longer had you chosen to panel line and clean up the nubs like most people do

Dont get the old HG Duel....it sucks

Best paint practice are SEED/AGE NG 1/144, cheap as hell and perfect practice for literally anything you can do with model kits

ZeroXSEED 2014-03-25 21:30

Or maybe get bootleg for sacrificial lamb

Skye629 2014-03-25 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5057570)
Or maybe get bootleg for sacrificial lamb

NG's are still cheaper though for practice

IMO bootlegs are better off for the more experienced builders who can canabalize them and modify the parts

ZeroXSEED 2014-03-25 22:33

Stratospear are in Singapore, so unless I missed the note, bootleg are cheaper by an US dollar or two

Comparison of price =
gaogao HG 6-9 dollars
Daban HG 8-15 dollars
Bandai old NG/FG (Up t CCA) 4-6 dollars
Bandai new NG/FG (Victory gundam and onward) 7-10 dollars
Bandai HG, at minimum, are sold at 10-11 dollar in Asia, usually 800 yen being original MSRP (Gyan, Gouf etc)

But as for painting practice, I agree No-Grade/First Grade is better, especially the old ones.

GameraBaenre 2014-03-26 02:07

I build this last year for SCGMC 2013 theme, and completely forgot to snap completed pictures. So, here you go, full gallery: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2975

http://gamerabaenre.com/images/heavy...%20017_JPG.jpg

This was pretty much a speed build so I didn't bother doing a work in progress. A few progress shots showed up on FB and in a few random posts from last year, but I did nothing overly special with the kit, pretty much a straight build with some texturing and weathering, may have gone a bit overboard with the weathering, but hey, it's a wing kit, no one cares about wing right? ;)

Skye629 2014-03-26 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre (Post 5057758)
I build this last year for SCGMC 2013 theme, and completely forgot to snap completed pictures. So, here you go, full gallery: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2975

http://gamerabaenre.com/images/heavy...%20017_JPG.jpg

This was pretty much a speed build so I didn't bother doing a work in progress. A few progress shots showed up on FB and in a few random posts from last year, but I did nothing overly special with the kit, pretty much a straight build with some texturing and weathering, may have gone a bit overboard with the weathering, but hey, it's a wing kit, no one cares about wing right? ;)

Tell that to all the NA Wing fans around :P

Wild Goose 2014-03-26 05:37

Feelings of inadequecy: rising. :p

Just finished my GN Archer. Now all that's left is panel lining (given that I don't have topcoat. Not yet, anyway...

Not to bad to build, but a little tricky when it comes to posing, what with the backpack. :heh:

StratoSpear 2014-03-26 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameraBaenre (Post 5057758)
no one cares about wing right? ;)

Not until you mentioned "Heavyarms". That's like one of my childhood favorites!