AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Spoiler Tag (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9780)

GHDpro 2004-03-20 08:29

New Spoiler Tag

testing:

Spoiler for episode 2:

Spoiler for why this version is superior:

Spoiler for use spoiler tag INSIDE spoiler tag?:

some text surrounding
Spoiler:
the spoiler tag here

Thany 2004-03-20 08:50

Wow that's pretty interesting for a spoiler tag, smarter than the highlight one I'll say ^^

GHDpro 2004-03-20 09:01

(Testing Finished)

@Thany:
Well, yeah, there were some issues with the old spoiler tag (for example, that
it only worked for text and still showed other tags, including text with changed color).

----

Btw, with this change I've also finally reimplemented the "for" spoiler tag version:

[ spoiler = for episode 2 ] he gets killed! [ / spoiler ]

I used that version to test this new spoiler tag and have now also applied it to the "standard one".

----

To prevent getting several "Wow, how did you do that, can you give me to code for my forum?" emails/PMs:
Code:

<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">
<form>
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> for <i>{option}</i>: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="javascript:if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = '';                this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">
</div>
<div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;">
<div style="display: none;">
{param}
</div>
</div>
</form>
</div>

Superchop 2004-03-20 09:28

Thanks ^_^ i've been waiting for the return of the "for" part for a while...It was one of those things that i took for granted and when it was gone you realize how much you liked it

Green² 2004-03-20 10:03

That is so cool! :bow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHDpro
To prevent getting several "Wow, how did you do that, can you give me to code for my forum?" emails/PMs:

Shouldn't that be in spoiler tags? :heh:

HoboGod 2004-03-20 11:17

O_O... holy crap that is cool... and making the everything condenced (including pictures) is hella useful for us lazy bastards who would rather not waste effort scrolling down through wasteful things you have already read or seen!!!!

hell, i might start just using the spoiler tag any time i post a picture at all, expecially if i have alot of pictures to post!

here is my avatar

here is a goat

Oneesama 2004-03-20 12:40

very very good feature! cool. i found it quit convienent to see the spoilers this way rather than highlighting the content (yes, I know, lazzy ppl like me~~) :heh:
anyhoo.... I just love this feature. :)

Breogan 2004-03-20 12:41

Very nice feature. I was surprised when I saw the new tags.
Thank you GHDpro :)

eLstar 2004-03-20 13:14

It's very nice but...It freaks me out.

I guess I'm just used to the old spoiler tags...

JAppi 2004-03-20 14:41

That's a nice pretty spoiler tag.

Sadly if you mouse over the thread title you can *still* see the spoilers.

JOJOS'STAR 2004-03-20 15:10

I was used to highlight only parts of some spoiler tags.. :( You know, to see if it realy is a killer spoiler or just a smooth "I already knew half of it" tag. Or just to see how much you're getting soil.

Oh well I'm devoted for improvement so its okay. ^^

Megane 2004-03-20 16:11

Just to be a downer and a nitpick, I'll point out that this system doesn't work any better with text-based browsers than the last one. It's more of a personal design ethic than anything else, as I agree that the new spoilers are really nice (in a graphical browser).

Come on now, how often is it that someone wants to view a thread that might contain spoilers in a text browser? Not often, I'll guess. So I'll quietly shut up, not having quite made any conclusions and wander off over here...

eLstar 2004-03-20 17:54

Ah wait, I found something. When you highlight the thread title when browsing through the forums, the little text box that appears to preview what the message is inside, still does not overlook the spoilers.

Babak 2004-03-20 18:43

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload0/1.PNG

!

Superchop 2004-03-20 18:47

Spoiler for Dranz:

Spoiler for ';": test:

Another improvement ^_^

Kamui4356 2004-03-20 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
I was used to highlight only parts of some spoiler tags.. :( You know, to see if it realy is a killer spoiler or just a smooth "I already knew half of it" tag. Or just to see how much you're getting soil.

Oh well I'm devoted for improvement so its okay. ^^

I did that to, but i have to say the ability to put images in spoiler tags far outways having to take an all or nothing approach to spoilers. :) I think it's a nice improvement.

wao 2004-03-20 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babak

Actually I sitll prefer the old style where you COULD do that, now I have to click a lot of topics just to see what they say... I found it a very, very, very helpful tool but too late now I suppose. :\

Lexander 2004-03-20 22:01

Ohhh man i just noticed these and they are awsome i think. Much neater than before. Less of da gray on da monitor. Thank you very much guys.

Prince of Chronics 2004-03-21 01:12

it's a nice improvement... I never liked highlighting stuff...

GHDpro 2004-03-21 13:36

The problem with the highlighting is not specific to this new spoiler tag; it also
happened with the old. And I guess to fix it I'd have to hack the scripts.

The solution would be to have a lot of text (or just linefeeds) in the first post of
the thread, or simply no spoilers in the first post at all. I guess to make a double
post with intention of putting the spoilers in the second post is absolutely fine
with me. Of course, it is something you'd have to think about when creating threads...

Megane: Ahem, I wonder which spoiler tag would work with text browsers?!?
FYI, this trick also doesn't work with any browser that doesn't support CSS and Javascript,
so if you view the forum with say, Internet Explorer 2.0 or Netscape 2.0, they'd also fail.
(although the old style spoiler tags would also, since they also used CSS)

I just hope there aren't any major issues on slightly older browsers, such as IE 4,
Netscape 4 or Opera 6 or older. But if you are using a modern browser you'll be fine.

JOJOS'STAR Yeah I know, I also occasionally read part of a spoiler tag to see if
it was a "big" one or one I could read easily. With the new tag, the whole spoiler is
immediately visible. I guess the people who put the spoiler tags in their posts need
to take this into account and split spoilers up if there are "more than one".