AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Have you watched a series that has or made you consider giving up anime. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=72214)

ZeroSama 2008-09-30 07:51

Have you watched a series that has or made you consider giving up anime.

If yes please give the name of the series and the reason why.

Personally for me its CG. Don't get me wrong i love CG, its a 10/10 for me and one of my favourite series of all time. I love everypart of the show WTF moments, ending and all. It could just be that i believe i'll never find a series that struck such a chord with me ever again and its pointless to continue, since i believe it was the zenith of my anime watching life and evrything will be downhill from here on.

Now thats its finished i just can't seem to get my motivation back, its the worst depression i've ever got from an anime. I've the last EP of Macross Frontier, a couple of EPs of Kyouran koyzuki Nikki, Soul Eater and Zero No Tsumaki sitting on my HDD waiting to be watched, series that i've really enjoyed, but i'm very meh and the moment. I'm seriously considering either stopping or taking a 6 month sebaticle from the whole anime scene.

felix 2008-09-30 09:17

Heh... if there were people like that don't you think its safe to assume they wouldn't be here.
If you're still on animesuki then you haven't found that anime to makes you quit yet deshou. :p

But anyway, I don't think people can come to that realisation. Human self-assesment is so flawed. How much of what you think you like is just something you want to make yourself believe you like to fill the gaps. For example, some people don't really have a favorite color but if you ask them what color they like they'll make one up; next time you ask them they'll usually repeat the one they remember they said they like, because that's what they think they like.

If you ask me you like-ed code geass and just feel a little empty now that's the end of the summer season (you wouldn't be the first or last to be like that). People that really love a show generally have a different attitude and leaving the community (along with any hopes for extra material etc) is generally not on their mind.

ZeroSama 2008-09-30 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats (Post 1949052)
Heh... if there were people like that don't you think its safe to assume they wouldn't be here.
If you're still on animesuki then you haven't found that anime to makes you quit yet deshou. :p

But anyway, I don't think people can come to that realisation. Human self-assesment is so flawed. How much of what you think you like is just something you want to make yourself believe you like to fill the gaps. For example, some people don't really have a favorite color but if you ask them what color they like they'll make one up; next time you ask them they'll usually repeat the one they remember they said they like, because that's what they think they like.

If you ask me you like-ed code geass and just feel a little empty now that's the end of the summer season (you wouldn't be the first or last to be like that). People that really love a show generally have a different attitude and leaving the community (along with any hopes for extra material etc) is generally not on their mind.

Thats why i added the considered part to the title.

In CG's case it really is more like LOVED. I know i loved it. How do i know? Because its made me realise that i only enjoyed all the other series i've watched. When they were over it was a case of "oh well theres plenty of other good series i can watch/get caught up on" or "Oh can't wait for the new season of series X to begin". With CG being over its a case of "Oh so Gundam 00 starts next week? Meh who cares." or "can i be bothered to watch all those EPs i downloaded of my current series? Nah."

Its the first time this has ever happened to me in 10 years. Quite frankly i find it scary and rather perplexing that i enjoyed CG as much as i did without obviously realising it until the series ended. Its darn perculiar.

I enjoyed the ending immensely. I don't want an OAV or movie to come along and cheapen
Spoiler for final EP spoilers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bathory Area (Post 1949074)
Zero no Tsukaima(cliche and boring harem anime).The first season was

decent.The second was lame.The third,the adventure and stuff is getting more and

more boring.It is always about those chicks argueing.I can not really finish it.

Check the topic title. Its not "what anime did you drop or have trouble watching and why?" theres already a thread covering that.

ITS WHAT SERIES HAS MADE YOU CONSIDER GIVING UP ANIME ENTIRELY?

BetoJR 2008-09-30 10:07

I, for one, almost dropped anime altogether after watching Cowboy Bebop (and I did take a break of about three to four months, if I remember correctly. Mind you, this was on in an anime TV channel here in my country, so it wasn't quite hard to do. Didn't download much anime back then). I just thought nothing would ever be as good as that. So far, no series has, but a few have come pretty close (most recently and just "finished", I can name Macross Frontier), even surpassing it in terms of individual characters or a few key moments, and for that, I'm glad I didn't give this hobby up.

So, yeah, I can totally understand your point.

yezhanquan 2008-09-30 10:39

Nope, don't really have this issue. To me, the different anime series are like different planes (as in D&D "planes"). It's up to your imagination to do what you want. To me, crossovers can come very easily (even more so if you're crossing with GetBackers). Also, some characters in different series have very similar traits.

So, just sit back, and enjoy the story.

Echoes 2008-09-30 12:47

I don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so no. A bad series is likely to make me give up on that series, not on anime altogether.

I pretty much enjoy 99% of the anime I watch anyway, even stuff that isn't all that great, and that I know wouldn't stand up to objective scrutiny for a second. :p

Some extremely good anime has made me take pauses, though. For instance, after I watched Berserk I was so in love with the series, I didn't want to watch anything else for a month or so, since I knew I'd just shrug it off and say "This is nowhere near as good as Berserk was." I've since become better at enjoying every series for what it is, though I still need to work on not getting sky-high expectations every time a show I like gets a sequel.

DragoonKain3 2008-09-30 13:01

Wow, this sounds like the 'I need to get over Haruhi' and 'I need to get over Kimi ga Nozomu Eien' syndrome from a couple years back and a couple more years back before that respectively.

As for myself, every time a childhood friend loses in a love triangle for an anime, it makes me one step closer to giving it up. Well, it's a good thing then if they win I am one step further away, since the latter happens way more often than the former. ^_^

Rayneing 2008-09-30 14:36

If you think Code Geass could never be surpassed, you obviously haven't seen much.

Also, no, this has never happened to me. Even if I see the perfect series which can never be surpassed, I'm sure to at least find something that's entertaining. Sure, it won't be as good, but it'll still be decent.

Kamui4356 2008-09-30 16:31

There's always a chance of something coming along and just clicking with you, becoming your favorite. For example Nadesico was my favorite anime for the longest time. I had seen literally hundreds of series since I watched Nadesico, but for years none that I liked better. Then along came a little slice of life gem called Aria which took the top spot.

As long as you enjoy watching anime, why not watch it?

Theowne 2008-09-30 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroSama (Post 1948946)
If yes please give the name of the series and the reason why.

Personally for me its CG. Don't get me wrong i love CG, its a 10/10 for me and one of my favourite series of all time. I love everypart of the show WTF moments, ending and all. It could just be that i believe i'll never find a series that struck such a chord with me ever again and its pointless to continue, since i believe it was the zenith of my anime watching life and evrything will be downhill from here on.

I felt this way with Honey and Clover, first season. I still feel it, because whenever I watch any series, no matter how much I enjoy it, I always regret that I just cannot like it as much as Honey and Clover, and I also am able to spot all the typical anime flaws more easily.

I think the main point is that I used to really be an anime fan and would watch tons of series and think that anime was an amazing form of media. Now, I simply realize that a lot of it is vapid just like American television but in a different, "anime" style, and just like that, there are also a few gems you have to hunt for. Plain growing up probably influenced this as well.

KholdStare 2008-09-30 16:40

I do have the feeling that I've watched so many good anime before that most anime I watch now are just average, but not to the point where all anime I watch from now on will suck. Recent discoveries that I love include Moetan, Itazura na Kiss, and Clannad OVA, but sadly, that accounts for probably less than 10% of the anime I've watched ever since I've had this "syndrome."

Some of the anime that contributed to this syndrome include Cardcaptor Sakura, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Elfen Lied, Air, Haibane Renmei, and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!

BigGimp77 2008-09-30 16:48

If Code Geass is your all time favorite anime that's your opinion. But if you think it can never and has never been topped you are sadly mistaken. R1 was good but R2 was a mess. You are setting the bar mighty low if you consider Code Geass the all-time best:uhoh:.

No single anime has ever made me want to stop watching anime. Sometimes a couple bad series can turn off a genre for me. But it's only temporary.

I only stop watchin anime if I get burnt out from watching too much.

Vexx 2008-09-30 16:55

Usually its the awful poorly constructed ones that cause me to take a time out for breather... but once in a while a real tearjerker makes me take a break.

I do fume at the harem genre hashes that always go for the same type of girl rather than the other girl archetypes that never get chosen.... but I realize they're pandering for the easy win rather than trying to do something out of the ordinary.
That makes the rarity ones that do stretch a bit more special I suppose.

animeboy12 2008-09-30 17:08

Nope, never have never will.

For me my favorite series time is baccano. I've yet to see a series that suppresses baccano's quality and don't care. Anime doesn't need to be a up hill thing of how can we be the next big thing. All I want from my anime is different and new experiences.

Also I'm not bashing your opinion but code geass? It's a strong series but wouldn't call it the pinnacle of Japanese Animation

jedinat 2008-09-30 17:09

Firstly Code Geass is crap. And... to say that you don't see how anything could ever surpass Code Geass is like... reading a book you really liked and somehow coming to the conclusion that no book could ever be any better--so you may as well not read any more books. That's just being ignorant. It sounds to me that, like Cats implied, you don't really know what you're feeling/trying to say.

Liddo-kun 2008-09-30 18:20

None so far, my anime addiction has no cure!! http://www.thebenevolent.net/imghost...txq5jxbvko.gif

@ZeroSama

I think you're just experiencing something normal.

When I finish a good anime (this is personal preference, I know some people don't like the anime I will mention) it's usual for me to lose motivation watch something else for awhile. The time I finished AIR, Higurashi, True Tears and sola - I was completely unable to watch someting else for 3 days to a week. :eyespin:

BigGimp77 2008-09-30 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by animeboy12 (Post 1950206)
For me my favorite series time is baccano. I've yet to see a series that suppresses baccano's quality and don't care.

Now that's a great anime:D... I've been wanting to go re-watch that when I get some free time.

animeboy12 2008-09-30 19:25

I loved every bit of it. It had that feeling that every episode was well-crafted, thought about in advance and actually contributed to the story. I hope they make a second season

risingstar3110 2008-09-30 20:16

I got similar feeling in the past after finished watching some certain anime or dramas. But then I realise it's just my emotions temperately took over, so everything would become normal in less than 1 week (if i lurk around animesuki, it would take months until all discussion is cooled down though :heh:).

Most anime tend to become worse than how you first rate it, especially after stop watching it for a long time( many series drop from 10/10 to 6-7/10 in my book). So there is a chance that few weeks from now, you will look back and realise that you jump in conclusion too soon.

LustfulEnvy 2008-09-30 20:30

Umm...? Lets answer this with a stupid proverb. "Theres plenty more fish in the sea." Anime will continue to be made even after you quit cold turkey. Although I love Code Geass it is not safe to assume that nothing will be good as that. Its just that you aren't looking hard enough. The only times Ive ever thought of stopping Anime is if I over do it and neglect things. If I see and finish a good anime it does the opposite, makes me want M00@rr!