AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Attack on Titan (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Attack on Titan - Character Discussion - Eren (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119125)

Kairin 2013-04-23 09:30

Attack on Titan - Character Discussion - Eren

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Eren related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Attack on Titan fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

ginger02 2013-04-26 05:25

Haven't seen the show yet, but Eren's character already appeals to me despite not ever watching him or seeing him in the manga.

Flolan 2013-04-28 20:54

Lets talk a little about Eren then.
Is Eren being rude and nasty towards Mikasa? I think he is rather embarassed, annoyed even, by her motherly and clingy care. He wants to prove to himself and to her too, that he can manage on his own. Yet i think he cares a lot about her. In a romantic way? I dont see it like that really, more like a brotherly care.

Jan-Poo 2013-04-28 21:06

From Eren part I agree that he acts like you would expect from a 15 year old toward his younger sister. He cares about her, but at the same time he is annoyed by certain parts of her. Nothing strange.

Raviel 2013-04-28 21:28

I don't think Eren is being rude, like Jan-Poo said Eren's reaction is expected from someone who's nagged on a lot.

Randrak42 2013-04-28 21:57

I love Mikasa...but she does come off as clingy and nosy at times when it comes to Eren, to her it's just a way to look out for him but Eren is a teenage boy and doesn't seem to view Mikasa as anything other than a sister...so his reactions are understandable.

Thought it does annoy me...as I love Mikasa! But Eren is a badass so he's excused most of the time >_> kinda...

Manji Midou 2013-04-29 02:09

He is a big douche to Mikasa...l don't like him for it...

l don't see Mikasa as that clingy to be honest....l think Eren's douchy attitude towards her is that she has always been better than him

Iron Maw 2013-04-29 10:51

Just because he finds her nagging a little annoying, doesn't mean Eren rude towards her.

Going off on a different track, anyone want to guess what Eren's flashback with his dad was all about? We know (from a plot standpoint) whatever was injected into him will come into play later, but what for and why?

Ledgem 2013-05-05 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Maw (Post 4658807)
Going off on a different track, anyone want to guess what Eren's flashback with his dad was all about? We know (from a plot standpoint) whatever was injected into him will come into play later, but what for and why?

I'm wondering about his flashbacks in general. He had one in the first episode too, didn't he? It was almost like a vision of the future, although the vision with his father was seemingly about past events.

I like Eren's character. He clearly has some rough edges but in many ways it's realistic. The way that he gets emotional, behaves brashly, and even the way that he treats Mikasa are all clear character flaws, and yet they're believable and offer room for character growth. On the other hand, his personal drive and apparent courage are quite commendable. I look forward to seeing him grow and mature as a character. Until then, the positive traits that he has make him easy to cheer on and get enthusiastic about.

The ending sequence (and the events of episode 5) make me wonder a bit about who the main character is intended to be, Eren or Mikasa. The art and general direction would seemingly indicate that Eren is the main character, but it would seem perfectly reasonable that Mikasa could take over.

Iron Maw 2013-05-05 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ledgem (Post 4667486)
I'm wondering about his flashbacks in general. He had one in the first episode too, didn't he? It was almost like a vision of the future, although the vision with his father was seemingly about past events.

I like Eren's character. He clearly has some rough edges but in many ways it's realistic. The way that he gets emotional, behaves brashly, and even the way that he treats Mikasa are all clear character flaws, and yet they're believable and offer room for character growth. On the other hand, his personal drive and apparent courage are quite commendable. I look forward to seeing him grow and mature as a character. Until then, the positive traits that he has make him easy to cheer on and get enthusiastic about.

Completely agreed. IMO Episode 5 really show why the rookies need someone like him.

Quote:

The ending sequence (and the events of episode 5) make me wonder a bit about who the main character is intended to be, Eren or Mikasa. The art and general direction would seemingly indicate that Eren is the main character, but it would seem perfectly reasonable that Mikasa could take over.
I think they both share the role, but unless Eren is actually dead Mikasa won't take over.

FlareKnight 2013-05-06 02:23

Have a feeling I'm going to remain mixed on Eren for a while (assuming there is anything left of him to feel mixed about :heh:).

There are definitely a lot of good qualities to get behind. He does have the courage and passion to fire people up. His focus is certainly better than panicking and just huddling in a corner in terror.

Of course the negative traits make me dislike him at other moments. His jealousy/frustration at Mikasa's superior skills almost make me cheer on his transition from MC to lunch. I mean seriously either actually improve enough to back up your words or suck it up. His actions may make sense and be believable, but doesn't mean I have to like him either.

Haak 2013-05-06 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 4668161)
Of course the negative traits make me dislike him at other moments. His jealousy/frustration at Mikasa's superior skills almost make me cheer on his transition from MC to lunch. I mean seriously either actually improve enough to back up your words or suck it up.

Back up what words? You know his aim of killing all the Titans is exactly what motivates him to always do better.

n120cky 2013-05-06 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 4668161)
Of course the negative traits make me dislike him at other moments. His jealousy/frustration at Mikasa's superior skills almost make me cheer on his transition from MC to lunch. I mean seriously either actually improve enough to back up your words or suck it up. His actions may make sense and be believable, but doesn't mean I have to like him either.

I think Eren never feel Jealous/Frustrated at Mikasa, even I feel like he has respect to her as older sister, and Eren never prohibit Mikasa for following him, I mean Eren does confornt her at first but always accept it in the end.

p-kun 2013-05-06 09:19

^ I agree, Eren is never jealous at Mikasa's skill. He likes his independence and he believes in sacrificing self for the advancement of human (read: he's suicidal). As a result, he dislikes her obstructing his suicidal dream of killing all titans and exploring the world outside the wall. Note that he dislikes her "particular action", but he does not dislike her as a person. He cares about her like a family. Unfortunately this leaves Mikasa permanently in the family-zone.

Randrak42 2013-05-06 09:25

He is not suicidal...he's reckless, there's a huge difference.

Newhope 2013-05-06 09:27

I really don't like him to be honest his actions have already cost people their lives.

p-kun 2013-05-06 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randrak42 (Post 4668497)
He is not suicidal...he's reckless, there's a huge difference.

Ah yes, reckless is the correct word, thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newhope (Post 4668498)
I really don't like him to be honest his actions have already cost people their lives.

In this setting, no matter what he does, people will die. In fact, almost every character will make decisions that get a lot of people slaughtered later on. In this setting, a single wrong decision costs a lot of lives. That builds the sense of hopelessness in this anime.

chaos_alfa 2013-05-06 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newhope (Post 4668498)

Spoiler for manga comparison with episode 5:

Kirarakim 2013-05-06 10:31

I think what happened to the others was at least partially Eren's fault
Spoiler for Small manga comparision:

They said it was wrong fro Eren to go alone. They were trained not to do that. And we can see that Eren acts with his emotions not with his head far to often.

Eren is certainly rash and overly emotional. But I actually don't think this is a bad thing. I mean it is something bad Eren has to grow out of, but it is a character flaw and I see that as something good in terms of writing.

p-kun 2013-05-06 10:35

I wonder why no one else noticed that Thomas was swallowed alive. Eren was rushing to kill the titan partly to save Thomas. I find his action reasonable.