AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Macross (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Macross - Q & A (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64700)

monir 2008-04-04 10:25

Macross - Q & A

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Macross range of anime or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Macross which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gif icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Sephi 2008-04-04 11:59

I'll be the first one to ask a question than :D

I have never saw a single episode of Macross. I only heard of it. And it seems like it's quite well known amongst anime viewers so i was thinking of giving it a try. I was thinking of watching this season Macross frontier as my first one.

Is Macross frontier a story on it's own or is it a prequel or sequel of something, and does it require any knowledge of the previous Macross series?

Thanks in advance :)

Westlo 2008-04-04 12:05

Macross Frontier is set after Macross 7 but like every other Macross made you don't need to have watched any previous series to enjoy it. You will probably get more out of it if you have seen all the prior series but you can start off with Frontier just fine, make sure to check out the previous series if you enjoy Frontier!

Sephi 2008-04-04 13:04

Thanks. I will give Macross Frontier a try :)

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-04 14:09

Quick info. :p

Macross Universe Timeline

Macross Zero (UN Unification Wars): 1999-2008
Macross (SPACE WAR I): 2012
Macross Flashback 2012: 2012
Macross Plus (Sharon Apple Crisis): 2040
Macross 7 (Varauta War): 2045
Macross 7 Encore: 2045
Macross 7 Movie: 2045
Macross 7 Dynamite (Zola Incident): 2047
Macross Frontier: 2059

What are Zentradi/Meltran?

They are genetically designed race for combat for the ancient civilization called Protoculture.

The name refers collectively to the male gender of this race. Females are collectively called Meltran, who are similar, but have long hair and feminine features.
Anatomy identical to human, in two arms, two legs, one head, two nipples and respective male and female sexual organs.

The original characteristic is green skin and an average height of 1354cm.

Typically Zentradi/Meltran have the following genetic traits that are consistence in the Macross universe.

Skin Colour Hair Colour Eye Colour
Dark purple Blue Blue
Light purple Green Brown
Light blue Purple Green
Grey Black
Pink (Caucasian) Brown
Green Red

Spoiler for Zentradi involvement in Space War I :

This result in peaceful relationship with Humans

The Zentradi/Meltran with the aid of cloning technology was able to shrink (effectively transfer conciousness from the original body to a human sized clone body) thus engaged in equal partnership.

Humans and Zentradi were first discovered to be genetically compatible with the first mix-race couple

Spoiler:

Which is part of the main characters in Macross 7.

The pairing discovered that Zentradi/Meltran genes are dominate in a mix-race pair, thus a Zentradi/Meltran dominate will only produce male/female offspring with trademark Zentradi hair and a variety of the green/grey skin tone (although for female mixed race skin tone is more human natural)

Justice Knight 2008-04-04 23:15

i just saw the sig and gifs and marcross is like gundam?

4Tran 2008-04-05 00:24

The Macross franchise is like the Gundam franchise in the sense that they're both shows about war using giant mecha. One key area where they differ is that the combat and the mecha themselves are deemphasized compared to the characters.

IHaveCrayons 2008-04-05 16:03

Can someone explain to me what "decutural" means?

4Tran 2008-04-06 11:26

"Deculture" is a Zentradi phrase to refer to anything to do with the Protoculture (presumably excluding things that the Zentradi themselves are familiar with), who in turn, were their progenitors. This would include things like music, art and interaction between men and women.

glyph 2008-04-08 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Tran (Post 1514360)
"Deculture" is a Zentradi phrase to refer to anything to do with the Protoculture (presumably excluding things that the Zentradi themselves are familiar with), who in turn, were their progenitors. This would include things like music, art and interaction between men and women.

Since things of the Protoculture were taboo to the Zentradi, the phrase originally meant something like "unbelievable" or "amazing", with implied feelings of disgust and horror. However, it seems the phrase can also be used in a favourable sense now, from the Nyan-nyan ad, and "Kanteran de Basara de culture!":heh: from Macross 7.

CaiSter21 2008-04-09 14:57

does anyone know which episode Hikaru and Misa get married?

or is that just implyed by the directors?

brightman 2008-04-09 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaiSter21 (Post 1522133)
does anyone know which episode Hikaru and Misa get married?

or is that just implyed by the directors?

The TV series ends with the war and with the love triangle... The aftermath stuff is shown on Macross: Flashback 2012, where (correct me if I'm wrong) it is shown that Misa has adopted Hikaru's family name.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-09 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 1522629)
The TV series ends with the war and with the love triangle... The aftermath stuff is shown on Macross: Flashback 2012, where (correct me if I'm wrong) it is shown that Misa has adopted Hikaru's family name.

Misa "adopted" hikaru's surname? :rolleyes:

Sheesh. just call it as you see it.

Yes. they do get married. :p

lubczyk 2008-04-10 03:01

Anyone know how many episodes Macross Frontier is set to be? I just hope it's not a quick OVA like Macross Zero was. Things moved along too quickly in that series.

I'm hoping for the series to be 13 to 26 eps with no continuous sequels. Sequels don't tend to end up well in the realm of TV anime.

DonQuigleone 2008-04-10 05:39

Probably 26 or 50, seems to be leaning towards 26 at the moment, but it's a show that could be stretched out to 50 pretty easily (a la Gundam, Geass....) if the directors wanted to.

Ninjamasta 2008-04-10 06:30

I can't seems to find a thread about this post.

Anyway, here is a news flash for Marcross Frontier http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ts-dvd-blu-ray

It will be release in Blu-ray format with both Deculture and ep. 1. In addition to ep. 1, it will be 32 min. instead of 25 min. running time. No release date and pricing yet.

ipernorris 2008-04-11 03:37

Where are the Protodeviln guys?!?

Ottocycle 2008-04-11 11:48

I've seen this mentioned in the threads. May I know who/what's an Itano Circus?

I've only seen 1 episode of Plus, 1 episode of the original, 30 minutes of DYRL, and all episodes of Zero.

Pardon my lack of time in watching please. I'm saying this before I get sprinkled with holy Macross lubricant oil or something...:p

glyph 2008-04-11 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbug23 (Post 1526895)
I've seen this mentioned in the threads. May I know who/what's an Itano Circus?

Fighters weaving their way through an intense barrage of guided missile salvoes flying every which way chasing them, a hallmark of all Macross dogfight scenes. Named after SDF Macross animation director Ichiro Itano.

Ottocycle 2008-04-11 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph (Post 1526931)
Fighters weaving their way through an intense barrage of guided missile salvoes flying every which way chasing them, a hallmark of all Macross dogfight scenes. Named after SDF Macross animation director Ichiro Itano.

And I learn something new everyday. Thank you.

CrowKenobi 2008-04-11 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph (Post 1526931)

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbug23 (Post 1526943)
And I learn something new everyday. Thank you.

And now for a visual representation: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQ8sAPGKOE (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0XX...eature=related (part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViaVz...eature=related (part 3)

:cool:

Westlo 2008-04-11 13:40

Oh thanks for those links, going to enjoy watching that :D So looking forward to the Eureka Seven Movie... imagine how awesome the Itano circus scenes in that will be....

Cadorna 2008-04-11 18:22

wooowwwww great linksss

watta 2008-04-13 10:30

Is Macross F going to be weekly or is it going be a long wait per ep. Like the wait b/w ep1 and ep2?

Westlo 2008-04-13 10:41

It's airing weekly.

xris 2008-04-13 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by watta (Post 1531397)
Is Macross F going to be weekly or is it going be a long wait per ep. Like the wait b/w ep1 and ep2?

Macross F airs weekly on Thursday night / Friday morning (at 1:25 AM). Ep 1 aired on the 3rd, ep 2 on the 10th and ep 3 will air on the 17th. Currently the total number of episdoes are not known but barring any public holidays, it will air once a week.

The Preview version of episode 1 was aired on 23rd December 2007 as part of a Macross 25th Anniversary Special.

DonQuigleone 2008-04-13 16:59

I think a person more knowledgeable than myself should put up something about the Supervision Army, the main enemy of the Zentraedi

Kinohara 2008-04-15 04:09

According to wiki, this anime scheduled only 13 episodes
Well... Is that true?

ZODDGUTS 2008-04-15 07:47

Question about the whole Zentradi/Meltlandi breeding with a human okay so if a Zentradi breeds with a human (female) then it's going to be male and only male, while with Meltlandi child with a human will only keep on being female right? Now what about a mix Zentradi/Meltlandi half human would the whole the what type of child's gender determine still continue if their mix? If not then we won't know which parent of Ranka was half Zentradi/Meltlandi.

glyph 2008-04-15 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS (Post 1536707)
Question about the whole Zentradi/Meltlandi breeding with a human okay so if a Zentradi breeds with a human (female) then it's going to be male and only male, while with Meltlandi child with a human will only keep on being female right? Now what about a mix Zentradi/Meltlandi half human would the whole the what type of child's gender determine still continue if their mix? If not then we won't know which parent of Ranka was half Zentradi/Meltlandi.

Was this ever confirmed somewhere, or speculation on the fact that Max and Millia only ever sired a bunch of daughters? Max could just have a bad Y Chromosome.

ZODDGUTS 2008-04-15 08:03

I haven't seen Macross 7 yet but on wiki it says they only had 7 daughters they also list the names.

Cadorna 2008-04-15 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinohara (Post 1536476)
According to wiki, this anime scheduled only 13 episodes
Well... Is that true?

i hope is wrong, i want 26

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-15 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS (Post 1536707)

Max And Millia confirmed that Meltrandi and Human can successfully reproduce.

The cloning technique suggest that the zentradi gene is reinforced by the cloning technique.

At the moment nothing suggest that a full human can be clone to full zentradi height, only full blood and half-blood has been confirmed. This suggest that as long as you have some in you, then you can be cloned.

dilution of the zentradi blood has not been fully explored, BUT.

if we take into consideration that Ozma and Ranka are siblings, and we assume they are full blood related, we can deduce:

A) they both came from the same mother

B) Dominates of Zentradi blood is absolute in a mixed couple.

C) Effects of the dominates is (in order): Gender, zentradi characteristics. i.e. hair, skin colour, genetic enhancements for space-born combat.

C) Ranka is 1/4 zentradi

D) Excluding the 1/4th blood from a single zentradi ancestor the rest have been pure human couples

we have to come to the theoretical conclusion taking into fact that the zentradi blood dominates becomes partial diluted by human genes and this overcomes the first hurdle.

1) zentradi gender dominates is reduced to less then 100%, by 1/4th of dilution perhaps to 60%

thus Ozma is born.

2) However this does not over come the dominates of the original genetic traits from, the ancestor.

thus meltran genes dominates Ranka characteristics.

i.e. hair, space combat toughen genetic make-up.

If Ranka was to have another relationship with a Human, i think she will further reduce the gender dominates to a more human percentage of 50%.

i don't know if the characteristics of the gender-affiliated zentradi genes will eventually be diluted but considering the hypothesis over the gender dominates, i think it will be likely, but it will take far more pure human couples.

glyph 2008-04-15 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO (Post 1537880)
At the moment nothing suggest that a full human can be clone to full zentradi height, only full blood and half-blood has been confirmed. This suggest that as long as you have some in you, then you can be cloned.

In DYRL, Max is micloned(macloned?) to zentradi size instead of the other way round. We see him sortie along with Millia in the final battle in a matching blue power armor. Of course, DYRL is not canon, but it would suggest it is at least possible.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-15 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by glyph (Post 1538023)
In DYRL, Max is micloned(macloned?) to zentradi size instead of the other way round. We see him sortie along with Millia in the final battle in a matching blue power armor. Of course, DYRL is not canon, but it would suggest it is at least possible.

well, this is what you get for typing at 1am in the morning. :rolleyes:

cheers mate.

DonQuigleone 2008-04-16 01:25

Yeah but what happens if a Zentraedi and Meltlandi have children? Does the effect cancel itself out?

lovelyshopper 2008-04-16 13:27

what is valkiri

CrowKenobi 2008-04-16 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelyshopper (Post 1539510)
what is valkiri

It is this. :D

:cool:

EDIT: and this:
Thanks to Astrana for the pic! :D

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-16 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquigleone (Post 1538611)
Yeah but what happens if a Zentraedi and Meltlandi have children? Does the effect cancel itself out?

My hypothesis on this, is that if we take the premise that both male and female zentradi genes during the foetus gender gestation are equally dominate, then the conclusion that i have come to is that percentage of either male of female preference is at 50/50 chance for either male or female.

so if you want it in laymen terms, offspring gender in a zentradi couple will be the same as a human couple.

encia 2008-04-17 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO (Post 1539902)
My hypothesis on this, is that if we take the premise that both male and female zentradi genes during the foetus gender gestation are equally dominate, then the conclusion that i have come to is that percentage of either male of female preference is at 50/50 chance for either male or female.

so if you want it in laymen terms, offspring gender in a zentradi couple will be the same as a human couple.

In humans or other Earth’s higher life forms, YX chromosome enables male form assembling, while XX chromosome enables female form assembling.

DNA is just a four letter alphabet computer like program. The cell hardware executes molecular resequence program(aka genes, DNA) for molecular level disassembling/assembling.

Refer to
http://www.sigevo.org/foga-2007/talk...ormatics-1.pdf

"It is, therefore, a great irony that molecular analysis has led biology
into the informatic realm of complexity, redundancy, signaling,
networks, and decision making"

"A basic lesson from five decades of molecular biology is that
cells are immensely sophisticated cognitive and computational
entities."