AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Higurashi (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Higurashi Episode 5 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31722)

kj1980 2005-12-26 14:14

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.

xris 2006-05-01 06:55

Higurashi Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

Guido 2006-05-02 13:27

Just like episode one, episode five opens up with.....
Spoiler:

Flo 2006-05-02 20:28

Spoiler for screenies for episode 5 prologue:

So beautiful~<3 <3 <3 TT_TT

Sakuya 2006-05-02 20:48

Why is it that the characters come back to life for each chapter? :confused:

DingoEnderZOE2 2006-05-02 21:07

Because it's to show you alternate routes that could have been taken during each arc so you can get a better understanding of things, while figuring out more of the mystery.

Sushi-Y 2006-05-02 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guido
Just like episode one, episode five opens up with.....
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ok, my episode 5 comments with highlights. Only read if you have already seen episode 5, or don't mind being spoiled:
Spoiler for episode 5:

SpaceDrake 2006-05-02 23:33

Er, Sushi, from your reaction to the "opening scene", can we assume that the show is now diverging from the direct path the game took? I.E. the scene in episode 5 isn't Watanagashi-hen's climax scene from the original game?

Spoiler for episode 5:

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-03 00:28

Just checked out the raw ...

The first 30 seconds just blew my mind. And I thought Narutaru was memorable ... I can't wait to read the blogs to see what people think of this scene. :heh:

Sushi-Y 2006-05-03 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Er, Sushi, from your reaction to the "opening scene", can we assume that the show is now diverging from the direct path the game took? I.E. the scene in episode 5 isn't Watanagashi-hen's climax scene from the original game?

Spoiler for episode 5:

Ah, no, er, well, the episode itself is 100% Watanagashi. The "event" that happened in the opening scene of this episode is a part of Watanagashi as well. However, in the original game, we didn't get to actually see that "event" until Meakashi, which is the 5th chapter of the game (the "answer" chapter to Watanagashi).

So, no, the story isn't diverting, it's just showing more contents than what the original game's Watanagashi-hen had. But hey, that's not a bad thing either, aha, ahahaha :heh:...... crap, hope I didn't spoil anything

SpaceDrake 2006-05-03 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Ah, no, er, well, the episode itself is 100% Watanagashi. The "event" that happened in the opening scene of this episode is a part of Watanagashi as well. However, in the original game, we didn't get to actually see that "event" until Meakashi, which is the 5th chapter of the game (the "answer" chapter to Watanagashi).

So, no, the story isn't diverting, it's just showing more contents than what the original game's Watanagashi-hen had. But hey, that's not a bad thing either, aha, ahahaha :heh:...... crap, hope I didn't spoil anything

If anything, I'm more curious now. :p Wish my Japanese was better so I could watch the raws without the need for "assistance"...

Freakman 2006-05-03 02:30

[reserved for ep 5 impressions]
Sushi : as someone pointed out on the main higurashi board, choosing that particular scene for the opener seems weird (although that's debatable). I'll write more in the game thread since it involves spoilers.

kj1980 2006-05-03 09:30

Yep, gruesome as it was and disheartening to see it, putting that at the top of this chapter was a good one by the production staff - it really grabs the attention, especially to anime viewers who hasn't played the game. What better way to bitch slap the viewer that you ain't seeing just a loli-moe~ show than to start off with

Spoiler:

One thing that did catch my attention was how they changed the game scene at Mion's uncle's toy shop. Overall it got the job done so I guess it doesn't really matter; especially since the anime isn't going onto Minagoroshi-hen.

Rasuberi 2006-05-03 17:38

Ahaha... I loved this episode.

Spoiler:

Sushi-Y 2006-05-05 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980
One thing that did catch my attention was how they changed the game scene at Mion's uncle's toy shop.

Unfortunately they also had to skip the whole curry cookout event (which happened just before the bento box event). ...Omg what if they made Chiel-sensei a spaghetti loving maniac in this anime too!? It'd be the most twisted parody ever if they actually did that.

The doll event also lost some of its impact because there was only one doll. In the game, the toy shop ojisan actually gave everybody a doll except Mion (in other words, Mion was only one who didn't get anything). And even knowing that, Keiichi still gave Rena the doll instead of giving it to Mion. It shows just how much Keiichi didn't believe dolls suited Mion.

Again, minor details that doesn't really affect the story, but would've been nice if they kept them.

Crimen Scythe 2006-05-06 22:29

i just downloaded ep 5 subs....still trying to decide if it's a good thing to watch it at midnight *shivers*... ~.~

EDIT:
nvm...it was an awesome ep....Shion~~~....the opening scene was rather gruesome too...^^
cant wait for ep 6....

FubaredByAnime 2006-05-07 00:29

Watched the fansub finally. Can never get over the first 30 seconds. Gosh darn ... Well, here's the question on my mind after first viewing and quick review.

Spoiler:

kj1980 2006-05-07 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
Watched the fansub finally. Can never get over the first 30 seconds. Gosh darn ... Well, here's the question on my mind after first viewing and quick review.

Spoiler:

Read the TIPS thread. One of the TIPS will definitely give out a clue to one of your questions.

adamatari 2006-05-07 06:09

Since we're being very careful about tags:

Spoiler for specualation about the Mion/Shion pair:

BrokenWingz 2006-05-07 08:22

Well, the starting for each chapter is eccentric.
Spoiler:

Ohwell, an interesting and not as scary ep xD

Quote:

Sushi : as someone pointed out on the main higurashi board, choosing that particular scene for the opener seems weird (although that's debatable). I'll write more in the game thread since it involves spoilers.
Btw am i allowed to ask what site the higurashi main board is?

Crimen Scythe 2006-05-07 09:33

All i can gather from this ep is:
Spoiler for ep 5 speculation:

Shay 2006-05-07 10:34

Spoiler:

I have no theories, no expectations; I'm just tagging along for the ride. And thoroughly enjoying myself at the same time. Weird as it all may be.....

Shadowscar 2006-05-07 10:37

awesome episode that left me wanting more but it also confused me alot

Is this another story completely that just uses the same characters? or did it just go back in time and is telling another story that co exists with the first story? or is it something completely different lol

Boukenxha 2006-05-07 11:05

Spoiler for ep 5:

Can anyone clarify for me the relationship between Hinamizawa, Okinomiya, and Shishibone City? Doesn't seem important really, but I thought it might help me understand the area of influence the Sonozaki family have. Thanks.

Vicke 2006-05-07 11:31

Spoiler for ep5:

kj1980 2006-05-07 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manatsu
Can anyone clarify for me the relationship between Hinamizawa, Okinomiya, and Shishibone City? Doesn't seem important really, but I thought it might help me understand the area of influence the Sonozaki family have. Thanks.

Althought it is called Shishibone City, this "city" is more like a "county." I'm not a geographer so I don't know the exact reasoning behind this, but some rural areas tend to combine several surrounding villages and towns into one "city."

So within Shishibone City, you have two sub-divisions:
Okinomiya - a town
Hinamizawa - a village

Macnown 2006-05-07 12:55

mm one question,
how come oishi didn't tell keichi that Mion had a twin sister? aswel as a brother :confused:
don't tell me the brother turned in to a girl??? mazaka:heh:

Sushi-Y 2006-05-07 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manatsu

Just like the "Intimidation" TIP suggested, the Sonozaki family is an incredibly influential force in the local government, all the way up to the prefectural level. The reason will be revealed in this chapter, Watanagashi-hen.

As for the whole Shion/Mion relationship thing, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. One thing's for certain, Meakashi (Watanagashi's "answer" chapter) will definitely bring a lot of surprises for most people.

Also, some people above were asking why certain events that happened in this episode (Watanagashi-hen) didn't happen in Onikakushi-hen (for example, why wasn't Shion introduced in Onikakushi-hen?). I can only give out one hint: When you replay a stage in, say, a shooting game, you never get exactly the same developments or results every time, right? This is the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980
So within Shishibone City, you have two sub-divisions:
Okinomiya - a town
Hinamizawa - a village

I believe since Hinamizawa is too small to have its own local government (besides a village council), most of Hinamizawa's municipal functions (such as police) are covered by the nearest town, Okinomiya. Same for all the other villages listed in that dam resistence declaration TIP. Overall though, both Hinamizawa and Okinomiya counts as a municipality of Shishibone.

kj1980 2006-05-07 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnown
mm one question,
how come oishi didn't tell keichi that Mion had a twin sister? aswel as a brother :confused:
don't tell me the brother turned in to a girl??? mazaka:heh:

Why would Oishi need to tell that Mion had a twin sister if it's not related to the investigation, moreso if it doesn't add anything positive? And I don't know where you got the idea of a brother...

Mr. Guy 2006-05-07 13:24

Is it just me or...
Spoiler for Episode 5 + stuff from 4(theory):

Suddenly becoming a big fan of Shion with a growing like of Mion. She may not have quite the psycho charm of Rena, but something must be loose in the head if she can laugh during that opening scene...

orion 2006-05-07 14:41

Yeah, I didn't have to reacquaint myself with my meal! (I watched this episode on an empty stomach. :D )

Spoiler:

Also...

Spoiler:

Scribble 2006-05-07 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Guy
Is it just me or...(speculation)

The fact that Mion has a gun in previous episode supports what you're saying, I guess!

EDIT:

So let me get this straight: Kei and gang going to the shop to play cards in episode 5 happened because a different route was taken in the story? Or could this have occured in Onikakushi-hen, but we didn't see it?

SvenTheSweeper 2006-05-07 18:37

I watched it in the morning instead of 11pm, since I didn’t want to be awake at night thinking about the show->I like my sleep. Even the first scene with Rika was not as disturbing as I thought it would be.

I gave episode five a 9, I would have given a 10 if they gave me more Shion and Mion screen time. I enjoy how the dynamics are playing out between the sisters and Keiichi. I feel joy for him (i.e. “Lucky dude, you got cute girls who like you.”) and anguish (i.e. “Bummer dude, you got girls with skeletons is their closets”) at the same time.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the mostly light-hearted slice-of-life break from what went on in ep.3-4.

Spoiler for US Presisdent:

Quote:

Spoiler:

Ok, my episode 5 comments with highlights. Only read if you have already seen episode 5, or don't mind being spoiled:
Spoiler for episode 5:

Spoiler for What Rika did:

Spoiler for screenshot of gags, and a sad Mion.:

Quote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler for A tongue-in-cheek, question based on the above spoiler tab:

Sushi-Y 2006-05-07 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
Spoiler for A tongue-in-cheek, question based on the above spoiler tab:

You have no idea. Keiichi's not only the "Magician of Words", his alternate identity, K, raises his moe knowledge skills to a godly level, allowing the use of his KOOL marble reality: bombarding his opponent with speeches about the Art of Moe at machine-gun speed until the said opponent breaks down into a sobbing mess from K's MANLINESS. K's not alone in his endeavors either, his "soul brothers", Cloud, Iri, and Tommy are all true MEN constantly striving for their ideals in the world of moe! (Who are they? Just like how "K" came from Keiichi, you should realize who these men are if you looked in Higurashi's character list).

No, I'm not making this up. :heh: Here's an example of Keiichi's reality marble:
Spoiler:

If you're lucky, you'll get your first glimpse of "K" in Tatarigoroshi. ^^;

Lemonhead 2006-05-07 20:58

Spoiler for opening scene:

-edit sorry didn't think it was spolierish, fixed now.

aliensporebomb 2006-05-07 22:44

Yes....

Putting Lemonheads' thoughts in a spoiler in case none of you saw it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonhead
Spoiler:

I also had that thought and it's certainly possible but I also had a thought:

Spoiler:

SvenTheSweeper 2006-05-07 23:15

Quote:

You have no idea. Keiichi's not only the "Magician of Words", his alternate identity, K, raises his moe knowledge skills to a godly level, allowing the use of his KOOL marble reality: bombarding his opponent with speeches about the Art of Moe at machine-gun speed until the said opponent breaks down into a sobbing mess from K's MANLINESS. K's not alone in his endeavors either, his "soul brothers", Cloud, Iri, and Tommy are all true MEN constantly striving for their ideals in the world of moe! (Who are they? Just like how "K" came from Keiichi, you should realize who these men are if you looked in Higurashi's character list).

No, I'm not making this up. :heh: Here's an example of Keiichi's reality marble:
Spoiler:

If you're lucky, you'll get your first glimpse of "K" in Tatarigoroshi. ^^;

So K:
Spoiler:

choia 2006-05-07 23:34

Question: is there any significance to the gun Mion carries? Will this arc explain the gun?

kj1980 2006-05-08 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by choia
Question: is there any significance to the gun Mion carries? Will this arc explain the gun?

Just to end this speculation - no. There is no significance to the gun. Besides, I never even thought about it in the first place. Since guns are illegal in Japan, I just assumed it was a water pistol or something. Besides, I wouldn't be that surprised to see Mion suddenly squirting the club members in their faces in their club activities.

Sushi-Y 2006-05-08 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
Spoiler:

I can't answer to everything in there, but at least I can tell you what will be explained eventually:
1. Mion's shocked reactions whenever she sees Shion
2. Shion's reason for not living together with Mion
3. Shion's familiar attitude towards Keiichi right from the beginning
4. Shion's attitude/personality in general
5. The reason why nobody has ever head of Shion before
6. The reason for that sorrowful look Shion had on her face just before the break in this episode
7. The reason for Mion's depression

Actually, you know what? I'm sure all the questions raised in this thread will be explained eventually + answers to things you probably never even thought about. Watanagashi-hen is very rich in contents (much more so than Onikakushi), and the mystery will only get deeper and deeper. It's probably one of the most involved chapters in the game (much more than it appears to be). Your best bet is to focus on the Sonozaki twins, and gather as much as you can about their personalities and their circumstances (as much as you can tell) from within this chapter.

Hopefully the anime doesn't cut out TOO much from the game, or else things might start getting... hard to figure out.

Remember those general tips:
1. Don't believe everything you see, and
2. What you have learned about a character's personality applies across ALL chapters (hint: this works both ways, something you know from a previous chapter may help you determine something in this chapter. Similarly, something you newly learned in this chapter may help you determine something from a past chapter as well)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
So K:
Spoiler:

No, K tends to only get knocked out if he tries it on girls, especially Rena. Rena can easily drop him (or anyone else, for that matter, even Iri in "Maid in Heaven" mode) like a brick.

Spoiler for off topic about Rena's fighting skill:

Quote:

Originally Posted by choia

No, I don't think there's any meaning to the gun at all.

As far as I know, it's a model gun, not real. That and models guns are one of Mion's hobbies (and no, I don't think that has any significance either).

Edit: ah kj beat me to it. :heh: