AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Madoka Magica (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Madoka Magica - Episode 01 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=100935)

Kairin 2011-01-16 17:22

Madoka Magica - Episode 01 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Madoka Magica, Episode 01.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

rocket 2011-01-17 12:03

9/10 - Only because the labyrinth scenes have a low framerate!

Miyuki-ism 2011-01-17 15:25

I like those scenes.

9/10

Cream 2011-01-17 15:53

9/10.
High enough to have me check out the next episode , not really a fan of having it be so fastpace . They should of gave us more information about the characters before we jump into the magical girl duties.

Hooves 2011-01-17 16:50

8/10
A pretty good introduction episode to the series with a good pace going.

TooPurePureBoy 2011-01-18 01:58

Did I just watch an anime, or was that an acid flashback? :eyespin:

Himeji 2011-01-18 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooves (Post 3442921)
8/10
A pretty good introduction episode to the series with a good pace going.

Same here.
Backgrounds are very well done, but I don't like the pancake faces of the characters :heh:
No real complaints otherwise.

Godly_senselessness 2011-01-27 09:30

I didn't like it,i usually check out the animes that are popular but this one seemed really generic and boring.

totoum 2011-01-27 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godly_senselessness (Post 3458267)
I didn't like it,i usually check out the animes that are popular but this one seemed really generic and boring.

I can understand that after 1 episode but I doubt you could say it's generic after watching episode 3,though you could still find it boring ;)

Godly_senselessness 2011-01-27 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoum (Post 3458270)
I can understand that after 1 episode but I doubt you could say it's generic after watching episode 3,though you could still find it boring ;)

I guess i will watch up to ep 3 then before i drop it,thanks for the info :cool:

zato_1one 2011-01-27 11:07

When I watched episode 1, I personally didn't think that this show was generic at all. The story might look exactly like classic Mahou Shoujo. But the foreshadow in the opening scene, the witch dimension and the music (not OP) made me believe that there was something different in this show.

hinakatbklyn 2011-01-28 13:37

9/10 Wasn't planning on this series before the season started, but I thought I would find out for myself if this series was good or not.
Very nice with the background, the monsters and the action sequence. The buzz got me interested, looks like the series will keep me interested.

Himeji 2011-01-28 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn (Post 3460051)
9/10 Wasn't planning on this series before the season started, but I thought I would find out for myself if this series was good or not.
Very nice with the background, the monsters and the action sequence. The buzz got me interested, looks like the series will keep me interested.

Let's see what you'll say after you watched the third episode ;)

Joachim 2011-01-28 22:44

anyone know what was those things actually saying in episode 1? i read this statement in tvtrope that if you understand what those things are saying, it makes the whole scene alot more disturbing scratch that , found it : )

Saber Cherry 2011-01-28 22:54

Graphing the number of responses to each "Episode N Discussion / Poll" is rather interesting. I was hooked from episode 1, but like many others, didn't really feel compelled to type until later.

@Joachim. I'm not sure specifically what you are referring to, but I understand that ep. 1 has text quotes from Goethe's Faust about selling one's soul to the devil.

@TooPurePureBoy. I was a bit dismayed by the seeming overuse of surrealism, initially (considering that in all other anime I have seen with surrealism / trippy art, it actively detracted from the show), but it's actually quite effective in Madoka.

Sol Falling 2011-01-31 01:46

Nah, Joachim was talking about the mustache ball things talking in German when they surrounded Madoka/Sayaka. "They are roses unknown to me." "Let us offer them to our queen." Stuff like that. Check out the Puella Magi wiki for more.

Anyway, the actual reason episode 1's responses are so low is 'cause episode 1 aired before Madoka got its own subforum. Quite a lot of discussion/impressions on the first episode can be found over in the 'General' Madoka thread.

MrSandman 2011-03-21 14:14

Well...better late then never I say. So heres a newb's two cents on this episode. :p

To me, the first half of the episode wasn't all that spectaular...typical cutesy magical girl setup dripping with lolipops and "tee hee boys" Not bad, but nothing special or epic.

....and then the animation crew took a smack of acid and suddenly girls are accosted by men with hand signs, prop art and....cotten ball's with mustaches on butterf.......*head implodes*

....Ok....definatly watching this anime.

9/10 ^^

totoum 2011-03-21 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandman (Post 3539767)
Well...better late then never I say. So heres a newb's two cents on this episode. :p

To me, the first half of the episode wasn't all that spectaular...typical cutesy magical girl setup dripping with lolipops and "tee hee boys" Not bad, but nothing special or epic.

....and then the animatoon crew took a smack of acid and suddenly girls are accosted by men with hand signs, prop art and....cotten ball's with mustaches on butterf.......*head implodes*

....Ok....definatly watching this anime.

9/10 ^^

I'd definatly apreciate impressions after each episode,it's kind of of fun watching the reactions of someone marathoning this.

MrSandman 2011-03-21 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by totoum (Post 3539773)
I'd definatly apreciate impressions after each episode,it's kind of of fun watching the reactions of someone marathoning this.

I'll provide what I can then....thought I warn I have a rather particular view.

*creepy music* Some would consider it......Unnatural.

delirium 2011-03-24 02:54

I just finished watching the first episode! What can I say about it? Well, cotton balls with empty eye sockets, mustaches, and teeth are actually very creepy! I never thought I would say that, but it brings my distaste for cotton balls to a whole new level! Indeed, I will never be able to look at a cotton ball the same way ever again! I thought the first scene was extremely beautiful if not a little dark, and all the characters seem pretty cool while we're at it.

Homura seems like a bitch though, to be completely honest. I gave this episode a 10/10 because it was a refreshing departure from what I usually watch.

Snork 2011-03-24 04:54

Quote:

I gave this episode a 10/10 because it was a refreshing departure from what I usually watch.
Trust me, it's only the beginning of such departure. :)

Liddo-kun 2011-03-24 12:55

An interesting start, some character introductions and action.
The background music adds a nice feel to the scenes. I liked it, espescially when they're on their way to school.

Sudden weirdness at the last parts, I thought those cotton like things are going to chew them to death or something. :uhoh:

Going to watch the rest of the episodes. :)

delirium 2011-03-24 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snork (Post 3543115)
Trust me, it's only the beginning of such departure. :)

And it's always nice to be surprised once in awhile! :D

kaigan 2011-05-04 20:15

i've discovered a minor correction in bd release, might as well add here since i don't see it in wiki and other blogs yet.

left (tv), right(bd): this happens after mami's transformation. QB is supposedly nestled in madoka's arms. changes in the background too. =)

http://s4.postimage.org/1sqy2sw4k/ep01tv.jpghttp://s3.postimage.org/yn54zykk/ep01bd.jpg

Kaioshin Sama 2011-07-06 14:34

Oh man, here we go, I'm finally undertaking the hit show of the year. :uhoh:

First episode was a pretty good intro to the cast. Madoka is like many magical girl leads past. Like an Usagi, Nanoha or Sakura she's kind of aloof, not really the best at anything, but has a funny likeable personality that seems to draw people to her in spite of all this.

Akemi is much like a Mamoru, Lee or Fate, coming off in her first appearance as cold and mysterious to the point where you aren't really sure who's side she's on. Like those characters she's seemingly good at everything she tries to do and has a habit of popping up at seemingly random times though clearly with some less than obvious goal in mind. Like those characters as well I kind of expect from the hints dropped in the first episode that she actually has a heart of gold and/or some destiny intertwined with the heroine (possible love interest?), but is trying to work alone because of personality issues or some other such complication that the heroine will have to resolve.

The other two girls seem like the typical faithful magical girl allies ala the Sailor Soldiers, but are of course close friends to Madoka in real life. Also I have noted that Madoka hasn't actually done anything combat wise....at all. I've kind of had it spoiled for me that that's supposed to be a trend for much of the series.

Overall a pretty basic Magical Girl opener (even though I'm told to anticipate it striking out on it's own path pretty soon) with the requisite character intros, but fairly enjoyable nonetheless. Though most magical girl shows that I've seen don't actually introduce what appears to be the full cast so early. Shinbo definitely couldn't resist being Shinbo in this one either, what with the architecture of the dream sequence and the fact that the city itself seems to be Shinbo inspired in it's architecture. Also he seems to have sent some of his wild crazy visions to menace the girls at the end of the episode. Is that what the antagonists are supposed to be....cause if so I can safely say I've never seen anything like that before.

Archon_Wing 2011-07-06 21:31

Hey, you watched it. Hell, it's about time. :heh:

And yea, I'm not sure what the hell they were on when they made the last part of the episode.

Proto 2011-07-07 13:55

I always enjoy when late comers take the time to post their impressions. It does offer a refreshing POV of when a show no longer has all its 'NEW SHOW' glimmer and is only appreciated by what the series itself has to offer.

It's a shame though that you've been spoiled, but apparently it's nothing serious. Be sure to keep posting your impressions. I at least will be sure to read them. :)

Dawnstorm 2011-07-12 05:32

Heh, I'm re-watching the show now, and two things happen:

1. I remembered why I loved the show from the beginning: Shinbo's animation and Kajiura's soundtrack. A match made in the twighlight zone. Seriously, from the weird dream sequence to the stylistically too epic morning scene, and then the too serene idyll... I didn't trust it then, but it's downright mean on the second time round.

2. I notice lots of details that didn't stand out the first time round, like Madoka's mom asking after her teacher. Oh, how intricate a web they were weaving from the beginning. Also, it's much easier to navigate through the show by the teme-music alone.

The show gets better on re-watching. I was sort of afraid that the magic would get lost, but it's actually more intense now. I heartily recommend a second viewing. (But maybe I'm late anyway, and whoever's still here is on the 251st viewing. :heh: )

Alcindor 2011-07-15 16:06

1st part of this episode was meh den it went straight 2 wtf

~BC~ 2012-01-15 02:52

Late to this party...but I finally got around to checking this out (since people are very fond of referencing this anime when reviewing some of the more recent shows).

Nothing spectacular this first episode but I find the way they use color and imagery interesting. All of the mundane scenes seem too bright and cheerful when compared to all the odd magical stuff going on in the background. It's intentionally deceptive. So when Madoka receives that warning from Homura I feel like it should be taken seriously.

I'm guessing the magical creature can't be good with the way they have it asking Madoka to make a contract at the very end; also leaves me thinking the title for next episode is meant to be ironic.

Dark Wing 2012-01-15 03:52

Man I love it when new people show up here...well welcome aboard BC and I hope you enjoy the show!

Xenio 2012-01-15 04:04

though nowaday it hard to get into the series knowing nothing since some plot twist have become as common knowledge to anime fan as "i'm your farther" from star war

Akito Kinomoto 2014-05-25 18:47

I'm rewatching this show since my first run in 2012, and I was worried my inexperience was helping me enjoy it at the time.

Good thing I was wrong.

Liddo-kun 2017-12-02 06:08

Nice, the thread has suddenly revived. Can't mention much because it will be a spoiler for you though.

And, yeah.. I agree Mami is cool with her guns at ep. 1. ^^