AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anime similar to Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=118489)

XAnime 2013-03-23 01:01

Anime similar to Sword Art Online

HI GUYS SO IM NEW and i very badly need some suggetions/recommendations:)

I LUV Sword Art Online so much, mostly because of 4 reasons, Romace, Action/Fantasy/Supernatural(kinda), Characters, Soundtrack

Romance : Please dont have any hardcore hentai or stuff like that. A few kisses (that are very..detailed i could say) and maybe one or two sex scenes? For example in S.A.O there are two kisses and they are AWESOME. And few times where they sleep together
Action : I woud like supernatural action or something unique. For example in S.A.O they use swords and cool power moves
Character Visuals : Please don't be an old anime, where the quality (how they look i guess) is bad .want an anime with good quality characters. For Example in S.A.O Kirito looks GREAT and so does Asuna and the weapons and other characters look very nice also
Last but not least...Soundtrack : so for this one i would like some sad/epic moments in the anime where the music fits. For example during the fight scenes they play some pretty epic fight music. And when they kiss :D it has a happy yet very calm and sad music. Makes me want to cry :D

I neeed help im going insane looking for more anime PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND, ACCEL WORLD (I HATE THE FAT KID I'M SORRY) and Eureka 7, I hate the main pairing the girl and the guy looks very....weird???

I have also just finished angel beats and to be truthful it was ok. It was great in the beginning but it just didnt show a happy romantic scene with kanade and idk his name otonashi:confused: But it was a bittersweet ender (more bitter) and that just kinda threw me off, was lookin forward to a kiss.

Also i have tried to watch Code Geass but it got boring pretty quick (no offense) and should I watch elfen lied. THANKS AHEAD OF TIME AND SORRY FOR BEING SO PICKY. If you cant suggest one just give me any romance/action doesnt need to be similar to S.A.O (just make sure it has good lookin chars)

NoemiChan 2013-03-23 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by XAnime (Post 4602006)
Romance : Please dont have any hardcore hentai or stuff like that.

Dude.. we don't recommend hentai openly here nor we entertain such...:eyebrow:

Anyway... Try BTOOOM! It's the closes anime to Sword Art Online. It's only 12 episodes but the action and visuals are good. Romance on the side dish.

And I agree with you regarding Accel World, I thought that the fat guy is a side character.. I dropped it when the truth was laid upon me... what a waste to be paired with a pretty female MC..

mistress_kisara 2013-03-23 02:46

How about Zero no Tsukaima? all 4 seasons of it, it has action and romance but its a little ecchi

kitten320 2013-03-23 08:31

-sigh- another SAO fan...

Anyway.... Romance/Action wise check the following:

Busou Renkin - romance develops in later half, has super powers.

Fate/Stay Night - romance in later half, good action, good character designs, super powers and a lot more. It has alternative version Unlimited Blade Works but not much romance there. It also has epic prequel Fate/Zero. It accels in everything except romance so watch F/SN first and if you'll like it, check the rest.

Hakuouki - romance gets developed in second season. A lot of great/strong guys. No powers, sorry. Just sword action.

Inuyasha - main couple kisses only at the end but there are some others in between. action with super powers. Great characters.

Mai HiME - beautiful animation, great characters, nice action, romance and some of my fave soundtracks. Done by Yuki Kajiura just like SAO.

Mirai Nikki - sadly main chara is not bad ass. But the girl is. Quiet insane/dark series but you can give it a try.

Romeo x Juliet - that's a given. Alternative take on a classic.

Sackett 2013-03-23 10:35

Zero no Tsukaima is the one that most closely matches your request. A young man is teleported into an alternate world of magic where he serves a young sorceress. Adventures and hilarity ensue. Their romance is like something out of a Joan Jett song

I'd recommend against Elfin Lied for you. It's a dark anime with significant nudity, gore and violence, with a serious look at abuse.

If you want a dark action romance I'd suggest starting with Mirai Nikki, which is significantly less serious, more action, and more romance. Queen of Yandere Yuno will do anything for love. Anything.

Another action romance you might enjoy would be Full Metal Panic. It's an action romantic comedy. A young soldier of fortune goes undercover at a highschool to protect a girl, hilarity and action ensues.

You might also like A Certain Magical Index, where the worlds of magic and science collide. If you like you might also check out the spin-off A Certain Scientific Railgun.

Shakugan no Shana is another action romance. A boy dies, and meets the flaming hair, blazing eye hunter.

You might also try Chrome Shelled Regios. A young man who just wants to live in peace, but is constantly pulled back into battle, in a world were everyone lives in moving archeologies, and deadly monsters roam the lands.

Katanagatari is an action romance. A young master of swordsmanship sets out to recover the lost 12 blades of legend. All for the love of a woman. It's high quality animation, but a bit stylized. Preview for episode 4, the most epic battle ever.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has limited romance, but a lot of action and is really good. There is a little bit of romance, just not in the same amount as the others above.

If you are willing to try a romance without action I'd probably suggest Toradora for you.

deadlights911 2013-03-24 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4602024)
Dude.. we don't recommend hentai openly here nor we entertain such...:eyebrow:

Anyway... Try BTOOOM! It's the closes anime to Sword Art Online. It's only 12 episodes but the action and visuals are good. Romance on the side dish.

And I agree with you regarding Accel World, I thought that the fat guy is a side character.. I dropped it when the truth was laid upon me... what a waste to be paired with a pretty female MC..

No, no. BTOOOM! is nothing like Sword Art Online.

BTOOOM! is a really dark show and characters are fighting on a island in real life, while SAO is revolving around characters in an virtual world and is definitely not as dark as BTOOOOM!

NoemiChan 2013-03-25 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlights911 (Post 4604335)
No, no. BTOOOM! is nothing like Sword Art Online.

BTOOOM! is a really dark show and characters are fighting on a island in real life, while SAO is revolving around characters in an virtual world and is definitely not as dark as BTOOOOM!

Spoiler for SAO and BTOOOM Comparison:

deadlights911 2013-03-31 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4604756)
Spoiler for SAO and BTOOOM Comparison:

Even so, BTOOOM! is far off from SAO

NoemiChan 2013-03-31 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlights911 (Post 4615386)
Even so, BTOOOM! is far off from SAO

We different opinions anyway..:heh:

Flame-X 2013-04-05 12:18

You can try out Tower of Druaga, Guilty Crown, Ixion Saga DT, and Star Ocean EX.

Hikapo 2013-06-27 00:15

Here is my favorite list for anime rather similar to SAO:

1) Btooom!
2) Accel World
3) .Hack//Sign
4) C: Control
5) 11 Eyes

I got this from Anime Like Sword Art Online(SAO).

Diction283 2015-01-13 06:17

Log Horizon is your best pick

Draco Spirit 2015-01-13 07:00

Log Horizon got a similar opening idea, but goes of in a completely different direction tbh. Its not a bad show, and has romance and action, but deals more with living in a world than escaping it like SAO.

Lagann_Horizon 2015-01-13 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikapo (Post 4738197)
Here is my favorite list for anime rather similar to SAO:

1) Btooom!
2) Accel World
3) .Hack//Sign
4) C: Control
5) 11 Eyes

I got this from Anime Like Sword Art Online(SAO).

Btoom! may be you best bet on this list. The character don't have powers, but there is good action. It has a good bit of romance too.

.hack//SIGN is nothing like SAO, other than they both take place in a video game. There isn't a lot on the romantic front, and very little action. Please don't do like I did and think the .hack//SIGN is anything like SAO.

Log Horizon would be a good choice as well. There isn't a lot of romance, but the action is good. Also, the storyline is wonderfully thought out and has a lot of continuity throughout.

Wild Goose 2015-01-15 23:29

I'll second Log Horizon. Part of why the world feels more thought out is because Log Horizon's author was a high level player in a guild of high level players, playing Everquest 2.

On the other hand, SAO's author was a Ragnarok Online scrub in awe of RO high level players who're like gods to scrubs, which influenced how he wrote Kirito.

Also Log Horizon's author has one "problem": he ends up making lots of interesting characters and then shifts the focus on them, and off the main cast. This isn't entirely a bad thing though. :p

Sackett 2015-01-16 08:24

Sigh...

Notice this thread was two years old before being necro-ed