AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65743)

Southern Cross 2008-04-24 14:09

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

As a replacement to Yuri's tacky and outplayed mind control tricks, they're featuring something even better for the brand new third faction:

Spoiler for For the 3rd faction:

:heh:

That poor attempt at a joke, the third faction is actually going to be Japan-based, except under the name "The Empire of the Rising Sun," almost the exact contrapositive of a third-faction party like that I suggested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EA's RA3 site:
After seven years, Red Alert returns! After a time travel mission goes awry, a new superpower has been thrust onto the world stage and World War III is raging. The Empire of the Rising Sun has risen in the East, making WW III a three-way struggle between the Soviets, the Allies, and the Empire with armies fielding wacky and wonderful weapons and technologies such as Tesla coils, heavily armed War Blimps, teleportation, armored bears, intelligent dolphins, floating island fortresses, and transforming tanks.

Experience the next chapter of the Red Alert saga.

Hopefully, despite the continued "Time Travel" deus ex machina being carried on from the previous Red Alert games, they won't change the world, characters, and backstory too much.

I also hope that the 3rd faction's theme isn't too biased towards traditional Japan. Aside from that, I wouldn't think that the "traditional" side of Japan would do too well against the overwhelming political landscape set by the two other major powers of the Red Alert games. The faction should have a nice balance between traditional Japan and a more ambitious, technologically advancing empire. Hearing about some their units, I think it'll be just like that.

What does everyone else here think?

Alexandrite 2008-04-25 09:57

I imagine the Empire's stance might look the government WWII, and I wouldn't be surprised if trying that Greater East Asian Sphere idea again was on their agenda. When I heard that the Empire would feature transforming vehicles, I couldn't help but grin. Transformers/Macross-esque units? Wonderful. And as their ultimate vehicle: "IT'S A GUNDAM!" :heh:

Speaking of vehicles - the circus cannon transport is hilarious and I see big physical problems with a TESLA BOAT, but that's why I love the Red Alert games so. :D

I'm really looking forward to playing this game. From all the screenshots I've seen so far, it's a very pretty game, so I'm hoping that my computer can run it decently. I'm glad they implemented the option to build on the water now. For the vast majority of maps, naval battle was never something you usually had to worry too much about. With a few long-range units and anti-air defenses, you could usually pick off of keep at bay enemies naval units. Things should get more interesting as greater focus is put into naval combat.

The game's still due out later this year, right?

USB500 2008-04-27 23:52

Oh, wow. I had actually envisioned a Red Alert game with Imperial Japan for a long time, and this is quite scary IMO. :uhoh: And as an avid Red Alert fan, I'm happy that it's never forgotten even with the hype of C&C3 (though a transforming tank? Or better yet, do I smell a "Gattai!" unit here? :heh: )

Looking forward to see how they'll pull this feat out. :cool:

PhoenixG 2008-04-28 03:26

Hmmmm read this in a magazine...

I hope they balanced it more than RA2 :/
In RA2 you was able to win quickly with just tank spam build :/

Mr Hat and Clogs 2008-04-28 05:58

Cant wait for RA3. Ahh Telsa coils how I missed thee.

Frailty 2008-04-28 11:41

woah,,, after all this time.. they made a 3rd sequence???? wait.. this is the 4th right??? there was command & conquer.... RA, RA2, yuri's revenge.... so uhhhh the 5th???? gaahhhhh I'm confused... XD

anyway... hmmm... Kirov airships... Apocalypse tanks.... G.I's..... Grand Cannons...Prism Tanks.... ahhhh good times,.. good times XD

KBTKaiser 2008-04-30 23:35

if you wanna look at it that way

Red Alert 1, Counterstrike, Aftermath, Red Alert 2, Yuri's Revenge, Red Alert 3

Ice_Bullet 2008-05-01 07:10

any kane's wrath player here? =x

Nibelheim 2008-05-01 07:45

CC3 was a total failure. Spam friendly game play made it unplayable for people who enjoy actually microing units. I'm not buying another EA RTS game until the folks at gamereplays tell me its not another rehash of CC3.

LoweGear 2008-07-12 21:15

GameSpot Coverage: Empire of the Rising Sun

And...

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...5904848918.png

Variable Fighters anyone?

Taler 2008-07-12 21:18

Energy efficient Prius Gundams anyone?

Sheep 2008-07-13 10:43

From wikipedia:

Quote:

New units for the Soviets include an armoured attack bear that is able to use a parachute drop to ambush foes
Yeah, I think I'll pass on this one.

Papaya 2008-07-13 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep (Post 1725505)
From wikipedia:

That's really not that more ludicrous than a mind-controlled dolphin that uses sonic waves to remove killer giant squid from boats = /

Taler 2008-07-13 21:20

No, it's plenty different. RA2 was Sci-fi, this is just comedy. Blah.

Papaya 2008-07-13 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taler (Post 1726845)
No, it's plenty different. RA2 was Sci-fi, this is just comedy. Blah.

If you define this as comedy, RA2 had plenty of it.
RA1 took itself seriously. It was canon in the CNC universe. RA2 made a point of being non-canonical and put a good bit of humor in it.

Asrialys 2008-07-13 23:05

Who has the armored bears? lol I suddenly thought of the Panserbjorn from the His Dark Materials trilogy of books.

Taler 2008-07-13 23:13

OK, how about this, from a sliding scale from sci-fi to ridiculous, it goes:

Scifi -> Ridiculous -> Ludicrous?
RA1 -> RA2 -> RA3

The degree of comedy in RA2 was tolerable and interesting, but RA3 plainly steps over a line into some mass market experiment that may discourage many original fans.

Papaya 2008-07-14 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asrialys (Post 1727176)
Who has the armored bears? lol I suddenly thought of the Panserbjorn from the His Dark Materials trilogy of books.

The Soviets of course!
The Allies keep their attack dog, and the Empire gets mechanical dragonflies, or something of that sort, reportedly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taler (Post 1727212)
OK, how about this, from a sliding scale from sci-fi to ridiculous, it goes:

Scifi -> Ridiculous -> Ludicrous?
RA1 -> RA2 -> RA3

The degree of comedy in RA2 was tolerable and interesting, but RA3 plainly steps over a line into some mass market experiment that may discourage many original fans.

That I can agree with, though I never really cared for the storyline anyways. TBH I'd be a lot more worried about whether the game is going to be balanced and playable on a high level. EA doesn't really have a great track record in this department. Kane's Wrath was a complete bomb.

LoweGear 2008-07-14 23:29

New Video highlighting the Empire of the Rising Sun's units:

Video Link

Royal_Devil 2008-07-15 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheep (Post 1725505)
From wikipedia:

Little clarification. The bears only parachute in when they're launched from a Bullfrog, same with anything it carries. Other than that, they're basically the Soviet attack dog.

Links to unit and structure info here