AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking for another really good anime.... Any out there on par with Clannad? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=95551)

Sin of Memories 2010-07-15 20:50

Looking for another really good anime on par with Clannad in quality?

Anyone know of anyhting that is on par or better than Cannad? I prefer romance btu I want something that is of the same quality. It does have to be like Clannad (like Konon and Clannad in a way go hand in hand).

Thanks in advance!

JRendell 2010-07-15 21:00

Whether there are any anime better/on par with Clannad is surely based on personal preference.

Regardless, I thought Clannad was brilliant and as such it's in my Top 5. Anime that are similar are;

- Kanon (2006)
- Air

Coincidentally, KyoAni, the producer who did Clannad, also did these two.

Also, I'm assuming that you have seen Clannad ~After Story~?

Kotohono 2010-07-15 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRendell (Post 3142471)
Whether there are any anime better/on par with Clannad is surely based on personal preference.

Regardless, I thought Clannad was brilliant and as such it's in my Top 5. Anime that are similar are;

- Kanon (2006)
- Air

Coincidentally, KyoAni, the producer who did Clannad, also did these two.

Also, I'm assuming that you have seen Clannad ~After Story~?

This though I haven't seen Air yet, also Angel Beats which is by Key like Clannad, Air, and Kanon, but P.A. Works did the production.

Sackett 2010-07-15 21:17

Are you saying you want something ''like'' Clannad that is also high quality? If so what is it you liked about Clannad? The art style? The characters? The romance development? The multiple girls and one guy thing?

I need more information before I can give you a recommendation thats more than just "Here are some anime I think are really good."

Guardian Enzo 2010-07-15 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin of Memories (Post 3142458)
Anyone know of anyhting that is on par or better than Cannad?

Thanks in advance!

Kanon is Clannad's subtler, superior older sibling. :):)

Divini 2010-07-15 23:06

What's 'better' is usually different for each person. For me there is nothing of that genre that can top Clannad.

But stretching to other genres... Is what you're looking for limited to romance/comedy/drama or are you also looking to find an excellent anime of any genre?

Kotohono 2010-07-15 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divini (Post 3142642)
What's 'better' is usually different for each person. For me there is nothing of that genre that can top Clannad.

I agree with that comment though generally most people who enjoyed Kanon 2006, or Clannad will probably enjoy the other.

Triple_R 2010-07-16 00:11

I agree with the Kanon 2006 recommendation. Of all the animes I've seen, Kanon 2006 comes the closest to being and feeling like Clannad.

If you're mostly interested in a romance anime with a harem feel, I'd also recommend True Tears.

Archon_Wing 2010-07-16 00:43

If you liked the wacky school antics, I'd say Full Metal Panic!

I'd also suggest Toradora! and Fate/stay Night for having romance elements I liked.

Kanon 2006 of course, goes without saying.

Sin of Memories 2010-07-16 02:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sackett (Post 3142498)
Are you saying you want something ''like'' Clannad that is also high quality? If so what is it you liked about Clannad? The art style? The characters? The romance development? The multiple girls and one guy thing?

I need more information before I can give you a recommendation thats more than just "Here are some anime I think are really good."

All of those work but I want an anime that is on the same playing field in quality as cannad. Although I do not want to it it be as sad....I cried in my sleep last night.

Kotohono 2010-07-16 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin of Memories (Post 3142896)
All of those work but I want an anime that is on the same playing field in quality as cannad. Although I do not want to it it be as sad....I cried in my sleep last night.

Well if that's what you're looking for; then I'd highly second Toradora if you want something not as sad, but on a comparable level in romantic, and comedy.

Sin of Memories 2010-07-16 03:33

Hm... Thank you.

Proto 2010-07-16 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 3142547)
Kanon is Clannad's subtler, superior older sibling. :):)

Objection! Although as an older sibbling myself I'd like that to be true. :p

Quote:

The multiple girls and one guy thing?
Double objection!! You should know better. :p

On the recommendation side, there's True Tears and ~ef~ a tale of memories

Sin of Memories 2010-07-16 15:12

Hm... I will check those out Hal.

Although a quick side note, I thought that Ushio was adorable ^_^

Also, having multiple girls around is called a harem.

Sackett 2010-07-16 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin of Memories (Post 3142896)

Sigh... I still don't know what you mean by quality. I tend to place story as the major element in determining quality, followed by character development.

Using those measures I'd suggest you try:

Crest of the Stars
Cross Game
Maison Ikkoku
Kimi Ni Todoke

Going with stories that are a different style then Clanned but still high quality would be:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sin of Memories 2010-07-16 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sackett (Post 3143950)
Sigh... I still don't know what you mean by quality. I tend to place story as the major element in determining quality, followed by character development.

Using those measures I'd suggest you try:

Crest of the Stars
Cross Game
Maison Ikkoku
Kimi Ni Todoke

Going with stories that are a different style then Clanned but still high quality would be:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Seen FMA, FMP, and NGE. NGE didn't interest me that much at all... Actually I got bored of it.

The others you mentioned I will check out eventually. Right now I have a list of about 60 anime and manga to check into.

JRendell 2010-07-16 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin of Memories (Post 3143993)
Right now I have a list of about 60 anime and manga to check into.

:twitch: You best get watching/reading. That's a long list!

Sin of Memories 2010-07-17 03:33

Kanon checked off my list. There is another anime that made my cry, but I think Clannad is still better, but Kanon was great ^_^

I need more guys! Well that is, if there are any more. Currently on to my next one.

Although right now I need to keep away from sad romances... Kanon made me want to cry a lot hear there because there are so many sad things, but a happy ending is a happy ending ^_^

Guardian Enzo 2010-07-17 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin of Memories (Post 3144814)
Kanon checked off my list. There is another anime that made my cry, but I think Clannad is still better, but Kanon was great ^_^

I need more guys! Well that is, if there are any more. Currently on to my next one.

Although right now I need to keep away from sad romances... Kanon made me want to cry a lot hear there because there are so many sad things, but a happy ending is a happy ending ^_^

How about "Ef: A Tale of Memories"? I could see some eye discharge coming from watching that one.

Sin of Memories 2010-07-17 22:34

;_; I hate it when I cry because some of the things that happen in these anime reopen old wounds that have yet to heal. Clannad did that to me when Nagi lost her life and I feel the pain of my loss all over again... My heart is still very tender even after a year after one my beloved passed away.