AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Current Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   (CR) Aquatope of White Sand (Shiroi Suna no Aquatope) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=156309)

SeijiSensei 2021-11-11 21:20

Fuuka has by far become my favorite character in this show. Aside from her innate kindness and empathy she has a much stronger sense of self than the others including Kukuru.

I knew she would give the little penguin a nudge. As Nachtwandler says, she told us that right up front. Perhaps she feels the same way about her kohei.

Master_Yoma 2021-11-11 21:59

Well Fuuka really showing that she was an idol by helping just enough to show off Ruka and the penguin

Kuuya really like his plum wine

Infinite Zenith 2021-11-11 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite (Post 6491939)
Gostfriendly pushing their political and ideological views on others is so cute.

Double points for going dark when the heat is cranked up :D

At any rate, it was pleasant to give Fūka a bit of the limelight and show how far she's come since this series began. One hopes that Ruka will find her path, too.

Wandering Soul 2021-11-12 20:42

It's nice that Fuuka got an episode about her idol background and finally settling it once and for all. Similar to SeijiSensei, I also have her as my favourite character in this show.

SeijiSensei 2021-11-18 14:23

The house I rented with my daughter for about twenty years was sold to a developer and recently demolished. Made that last scene especially poignant.

Kanon 2021-11-18 19:05

I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt regarding what they're going for, but the discussion between the Granpa and the Director leads me to believe they're going to ultimately try to tell us Kukuru being forced to do a job she hates and having to work an absurd amount of hours to perform it was entirely in her best interest and she needed to "grow out" of being an attendant, a job she loved, because... whatever bullshit. These two are forcing their own wishes on Kukuru and I'm really not liking it. Especially because she's only in this position because of favoritism/nepotism/whatever you want to call it.

And am recalling incorrectly or did the assistant director not say Kukuru being alone in marketing was temporary while they were trying to recruit? She's been having to do the work of several people for I don't know how long.

Master_Yoma 2021-11-18 21:53

Poor Kukuru really having a hard time with work and with Tetsuji throwing more work for her to do while he just sitting there pounding away on that keyboard given no or not much help at all

Well there goes Gama Gama

BBOvenGuy 2021-11-18 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 6492457)
I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt regarding what they're going for, but the discussion between the Granpa and the Director leads me to believe they're going to ultimately try to tell us Kukuru being forced to do a job she hates and having to work an absurd amount of hours to perform it was entirely in her best interest and she needed to "grow out" of being an attendant, a job she loved, because... whatever bullshit. These two are forcing their own wishes on Kukuru and I'm really not liking it.

This has been my problem with the entire second cour. It's painful to see Kukuru putting on a business suit and working for The Man. If there was ever going to be a third cour, it would time-skip ahead to Kukuru's 40th birthday, where she'd be having a midlife crisis after realizing The System has stolen her youth.

serenade_beta 2021-11-18 22:24

So the harasser could have went over her presentation beforehand and told her the problems then, but decides that it would be best to embarrass her and waste the time of the other party to teach her a lesson?
Oh this failure of a work anime. But I'll wait on the last episode to give a final judgement, even though I doubt it will change its trajectory at this point. At this point, I'm just amused that no one seems to think what they are doing to Kukuru is a problem, and the anime might not be aware either. But then again, Kukuru isn't a likeable character either, so... Whatever, this hellhole.

Infinite Zenith 2021-11-18 23:53

If you don’t like the show, just quit and drop it. No need to force yourself through something when that time could be spent doing something else.

Marcus H. 2021-11-19 00:08

Remember when this show was about a struggling aquarium that causes hallucinations to its visitors?
Me neither.

BBOvenGuy 2021-11-19 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith (Post 6492475)
If you don’t like the show, just quit and drop it. No need to force yourself through something when that time could be spent doing something else.

I still think it's a good show. It's just a different show. There have been many times when I've wished the two cours were actually two different shows with two different sets of characters. I mean, it feels that way already, so why not just make it official?

Infinite Zenith 2021-11-19 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy (Post 6492478)
I still think it's a good show. It's just a different show. There have been many times when I've wished the two cours were actually two different shows with two different sets of characters. I mean, it feels that way already, so why not just make it official?

You’re not the one calling this a "failure of a work" and a "hellhole"; it wasn’t meant for you. I respect your opinions since you’ve taken the time to articulate them without being disrespectful. Same can’t be said for a certain someone who’s been complaining the entire time, hence my response to them.

EroKing 2021-11-19 03:55

Overworking has been certainly the highlight of this cour. It is interesting that earlier in the year Japan actually proposed four-day work week, for improving productivity and the employees' work-life balance.

Like Kanon pointed out, Grandpa and the Director seem to be wrong here. Their ways of thinking are old and outdated. Grinding in life for climbing the ladder or to figure out what might be best for them is a choice. Kukuru already knows what she loves doing and has every right to simply quit, being this unhappy; money doesn't seem to be a priority for her. Just 4 episodes left and at this pace there are too many things are going to be left unresolved, unless they plan to make another cour or a bunch of OVAs.

Dop 2021-11-19 04:11

I have to admit while I'm watching this show to see how it ends I'm increasingly wondering what the end point is going to be. While that small local deity still wanders through the opening credit sequence the show has lost that magical spark the first half had and is pretty much Kukuru trapped in an administrative job she hates but doesn't feel able to quit as she's there through connections, when she wants to be hands-on not management.

Unless there's going to be more - a third cour, OVAs, a movie - I suspect they're going to pull some literal deus ex machina nonsense to make an ending.

deadite 2021-11-19 04:45

Kukuru is being groomed for bigger things that's why she's given bigger tasks. The stuff Manger makes her do is really good on her resume. If he truly didn't care for her Kukuru would be stuck serving coffee and tea and photocopying documents all day. I don't think Kukuru is really overworked as much as we think because she meddles in other departments other than her own. Reality of adult working life has not come to her yet.

ryllharu 2021-11-19 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite (Post 6492491)
Kukuru is being groomed for bigger things that's why she's given bigger tasks. The stuff Manger makes her do is really good on her resume. If he truly didn't care for her Kukuru would be stuck serving coffee and tea and photocopying documents all day. I don't think Kukuru is really overworked as much as we think because she meddles in other departments other than her own. Reality of adult working life has not come to her yet.

Agreed. The big picture here is to grant Kukuru her dream of being an aquarium director.

Kukuru wanted to save Gama Gama, and her grandfather, Kuuya, and Karin repeatedly pointed out that Kukuru was quite bad at attracting visitors. That's exactly why she's in marketing now.

There is a contrast that they lost a little when they redeemed Chiyu. Chiyu has only ever cared about her son and about being an attendant. She ignored every lesson that Kukuru's grandfather was teaching her about people because she wanted to focus on animal care first and foremost. What we lost in her redemption episode was that Chiyu was shown having a large drive to be more than just an attendant. Even after the timeskip, she was borrowing books from her boss intended to show her continued ambition (setting it up as a clash with Fuuka that never arose). But she wasn't ever going to get there if she ignored the visitor element to an aquarium. In contrast, Kaoru gets it. Promoting Conservation is a two part process. Animal care and getting your guests to love the animals enough to want to actively protect them too.

Kukuru needs to learn that balance right now, because she's slipping back into her old ways. Kukuru's boss is trying to teach her that balance, because the undertone to all his barking is, "we need guests to stay open." I believe he has outright said that link to Conservation as well.

I honestly thought the wedding planner scene was going to be her pushing back more and more, and Kukuru and her boss both excusing themselves because the animals welfare does matter.

My constructive criticism of the second cour is that it doesn't seem like the writers had more than one plot thread fully manifest (Kukuru's). There's a lot of personality and ideology conflicts that were hinted at, only to be forgotten or dissolved on their own. It's a disappointing step back from the first cour.

Kanon 2021-11-19 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryllharu (Post 6492497)
Agreed. The big picture here is to grant Kukuru her dream of being an aquarium director.

Was that her dream? She only acted as the director of Gama Gama because her grandfather had given up on it and she wanted to save it, but what she always enjoyed was taking care of the animals and sharing her passion with visitors. There's no indication she wants to become a director. Her grandfather and the current director are just forcing this on her.

Nachtwandler 2021-11-19 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite (Post 6492491)

This. People don't stop complaining about Kukurus chief here, but in this ep. his behavior was as rational as ever.

1. He actually explained what exactly isd expected from here and what to do.
2. He made it clear that he doers not care if she gets duistracted to make iother departments job, but only as long as it does not harm her own project.
3. Yes, he could have told that presentation will fail beforehand, but this they she would not learn anything. Now that she saw the other side's reaction, she has an opportunity to improve.

Yes. it was presented like prety harsh for her, but she recovered last tiome after actually thinking things thtrough. And she should this time also.

Marcus H. 2021-11-19 10:44

Why did the story even stray away from Gama Gama? Things had a smoother narrative when Kukuru was still the stubborn manager of a run-down aquarium left behind by its previous manager. Twenty episodes in and the fish-head chomping entity remains irrelevant in the story, and we're here trying to rationalize destroying someone's dreams because "it's what every adult has to experience".

Total bullshit, if you'd ask me.
Breaking down a person just so they can rise up stronger is one reason why society has more people suffering from mental health problems.