AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Current Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   (CR) Aquatope of White Sand (Shiroi Suna no Aquatope) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=156309)

serenade_beta 2021-12-02 18:18

Ahh yes, the only male character that isn't gay, furry, or an old bumbling man whose only reason of existence is to be able to have a romantic relationship with one of the girls but hasn't developed a romantic relationship making him one of many useless male characters of the series, finally (and forcibly) gets a chance to exist.


......And I'm not going to bother about the job part. Just... No.

BBOvenGuy 2021-12-02 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 6493757)
Welp, looks like we're going down the "I hated this job that was forced on me but I've learned to appreciate it by working really hard and now I don't want to be an attendant anymore because I can do my part for the animals here" road.

Which will guarantee the midlife crisis Cour 3, trust me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm out.

deadite 2021-12-02 20:28

The amount of people hete eho think this is a "toxic" working environment is hilarious. If anything Vice Director is a bit too soft on Kukuru.

BBOvenGuy 2021-12-02 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite (Post 6493768)
The amount of people hete eho think this is a "toxic" working environment is hilarious.

No, not especially toxic at all. Just everyday, banal, corporate life. That's what's so bad about it.

Personally, I'm not handling it because I've been where Kukuru is and taken the approach Kukuru is taking. I know where it leads, or at least where it led me.

Master_Yoma 2021-12-02 21:50

Well that rest Kukuru took really help her with the wedding ideas and it seems that the wedding planer girl seem to be have a lot of fun to

Tetsuji face dosnt change at all just the same stone face he all ways wheres

Marcus H. 2021-12-03 03:03

Gotta say that Kukuru is one lucky employee. :heh:

serenade_beta 2021-12-03 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadite (Post 6493768)
The amount of people hete eho think this is a "toxic" working environment is hilarious. If anything Vice Director is a bit too soft on Kukuru.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy (Post 6493774)
Just everyday, banal, corporate life. That's what's so bad about it.

It's only "realistic" when it wants to be. We got "realistic" everyday corporate lives, but at the same time, like you said, Kukuru didn't actually receive any punishment for running off for a few days. The only thing we got from her runaway is some preaching about pollution by some character not likely to ever appear again

Infinite Zenith 2021-12-03 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy (Post 6493766)
Which will guarantee the midlife crisis Cour 3, trust me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm out.

As I've previously stated, a continuation won't happen. P.A. Works doesn't have a history of doing that often. A continuation won't add any value to the themes presented in The Aquatope on White Sand.

Magewolf 2021-12-03 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith (Post 6493831)
As I've previously stated, a continuation won't happen. P.A. Works doesn't have a history of doing that often. A continuation won't add any value to the themes presented in The Aquatope on White Sand.

What are "the themes presented in The Aquatope on White Sand"? Because so far it seems to be "do not follow your dreams" which it rather head scratching.

Infinite Zenith 2021-12-03 14:00

That's only the groupthink here talking. The actual theme is to keep an open mind and accept help from others.

Infinite Zenith 2021-12-09 15:10

This week's episode, the penultimate one, indicates which approach the series had been taking the entire time: it was the case that The Aquatope on White Sand had meant to be about broadening one's horizons from the start.

Spoiler:

Altogether, I will note that the reason behind the reception here is a consequence of different people having different backgrounds. This, I get: the reason behind why I am patient about the characters and relate to their circumstances differently is because of my own story. However, while people might react differently to Kukuru and how she handles things based on their own backgrounds, it is inappropriate to misconstrue The Aquatope on White Sand's themes. This is not a series promoting collectivism or overwork as some have suggested. Kukuru's decision is her own, and this is because The Aquatope on White Sand is indicating that there are many ways to achieve a common goal. Just because one path is closed at present doesn't mean it will always be so, and the time spent exploring different options is not time wasted, either.

Kazu-kun 2021-12-09 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith (Post 6494503)
The Aquatope on White Sand had meant to be about broadening one's horizons from the start.

And I think they succeed with Fuka, because they built up on what she was interested in from the start. She got interested in dealing with animals since she started working in Gamagama, and that interest grew larger as she moved on from her idol career. Her character journey makes total sense.

With Kukuru however, they did it all wrong imo, because her decision to stick to marketing is the result of a last minute "realization" instead of the result of a natural buildup over the course of the whole show. While Fuka's character arc shows us how a small interest became a big passion which ultimately replaced Fuka's old dream and allowed her to fully move on from her past, Kukuru was never interested in marketing, and her relationship with her new job was that of conflict until she suddenly "realized" this was the way to go. That makes the payoff of her character arc feel kind of forced. It doesn't feel genuine.

Just my opinion though.

Kanon 2021-12-09 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 6494518)
And I think they succeed with Fuka, because they built up on what she was interested in from the start. She got interested in dealing with animals since she started working in Gamagama, and that interest grew larger as she moved on from her idol career. Her character journey makes total sense.

With Kukuru however, they did it all wrong imo, because her decision to stick to marketing is the result of a last minute "realization" instead of the result of a natural buildup over the course of the whole show. While Fuka's character arc shows us how a small interest became a big passion which ultimately replaced Fuka's old dream and allowed her to fully move on from her past, Kukuru was never interested in marketing, and her relationship with her new job was that of conflict until she suddenly "realized" this was the way to go. That makes the payoff of her character arc feel kind of forced. It doesn't feel genuine.

Just my opinion though.

I completely agree with you about Kukuru. We are led to believe she has been acting like a spoiled brat all this time and that deciding to stay in marketing (a job she's always hated) is a sign of growth. Nevermind that she apparently decided at the last minute because the director shared the assistant director's sob story.

Fuuka's character journey makes more sense, but it wasn't done well. She had apparently never heard of environmental issues and their effects on marine life until two episodes ago. Her interest in these matters should have been build up over the course of several episodes.

Now, let me talk about what you two avoided: the romance. Kukuru and Fuuka totally behave like girlfriends, you won't have me believe otherwise. I don't buy that sister bullshit a single second. It feels like even the writers are aware of this and therefore are tearing them apart for two years so Kai and Kukuru getting together can be at least a tiny little bit realistic. If they actually subvert my expectations and do go for the yuri ending, I'll give this show a 10/10 despite its flaws, because it'll probably be the first show full of yuribait that doesn't end up as just bait. And because I find Kukuru and Fuuka's relationship to be the highlight of the show.

serenade_beta 2021-12-09 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 6494527)
Fuuka's character journey makes more sense, but it wasn't done well.

This
Then again, we are comparing it to Kukuru, so almost any other character's journey would make more sense (if they even had one, that is)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 6494527)
If they actually subvert my expectations and do go for the yuri ending, I'll give this show a 10/10 despite its flaws, because it'll probably be the first show full of yuribait that doesn't end up as just bait. And because I find Kukuru and Fuuka's relationship to be the highlight of the show.

It's PA Works. Outside of the ones done by Okada Mari, they have always had trouble taking that extra step outside of normality.
The gay guy (one of them) ended up just being a joke character who gags whenever girls are around.

stray 2021-12-09 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 6494527)
Now, let me talk about what you two avoided: the romance. Kukuru and Fuuka totally behave like girlfriends, you won't have me believe otherwise. I don't buy that sister bullshit a single second.

I guess surprise yuri is a good thing but somehow the yuribait in this show doesn't do it for me at all. I'd rather see something like Koharu's character ending from Sakura Quest at this point.

Master_Yoma 2021-12-09 22:01

Well the way its looking Kukuru and Fuuka are living together

So Fuuka getting a 2 years abroad in Hawaii to study she really come such a long way from being an washed up Idol

BBOvenGuy 2021-12-09 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 6494518)
With Kukuru however, they did it all wrong imo, because her decision to stick to marketing is the result of a last minute "realization" instead of the result of a natural buildup over the course of the whole show.

That kind of "realization" is easy when you're riding the emotional high of a success like the wedding planner deal. But no emotion lasts forever, and all jobs have lows as well as highs. Kukuru's "realization" won't hold up when the going gets tough again.

Infinite Zenith 2021-12-09 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy (Post 6494544)
That kind of "realization" is easy when you're riding the emotional high of a success like the wedding planner deal. But no emotion lasts forever, and all jobs have lows as well as highs. Kukuru's "realization" won't hold up when the going gets tough again.

I thought you said you were out? Welcome back, I suppose. At any rate, that's not how it works for me: when I started developing software, I was running into more errors than successes, but ultimately, it's the prize of doing a good job, of submitting something that passes through testing and is accepted into production, that motivates me. The assertion that Kukuru will fall again is undermining her character, since it makes the assumption she's still the same Kukuru we saw back during the first half.

BBOvenGuy 2021-12-09 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith (Post 6494550)
I thought you said you were out?

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
Kukuru's experience is too close to what I went through in my younger days. I know she's going to make the same mistake I made, and yet I can't look away.

serenade_beta 2021-12-10 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy (Post 6494553)
Kukuru's experience is too close to what I went through in my younger days. I know she's going to make the same mistake I made, and yet I can't look away.

Don't worry, we only got one episode left and the anime thinks it has already solved its problems (which is its problem, ironically), so I doubt you will see what will happen next in her career.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:56.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.