AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

Tormenk 2014-11-03 03:48

Before you try cleaning off the frosted topcoat, you can try doing very thin coats first. It's usually possible to fix the frosting this way unless it's really bad. My own results are pretty close to what you normally get with a good coat.

n0m@n 2014-11-03 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 5320972)
Why do I have the urge to buy 3 of these? (probably cuz I freaking love my HGUC Ez-8)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pV3KQugrqZ...4354354354.jpg

The 3 Ez8 kinda reminds me of the 3 Dragonars. Is it a homage to them?

ZeroXSEED 2014-11-03 04:29

Obviously yes

People already noted it ever since their announcement

n0m@n 2014-11-03 04:29

Then I shall buy it.
I love both Ez8 and Dragonars:D

StratoSpear 2014-11-03 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5323197)
Obviously yes

People already noted it ever since their announcement

I didn't. They give me Armored Core vibes instead.

ZeroXSEED 2014-11-03 08:11

Mine was borrowed epiphany, I don't even watch Dragonar.

They look like Wanzers to me :V

Patriot's Blade 2014-11-03 12:33

i think it would be a literal homage if the pilots's VA's were also done by the same trio of Dragonar, to hell with Giganos!! :heh:

wavehawk 2014-11-04 03:59

On the topcoat: What kind of topcoat are you using (Testor's Lacquer or Mr Color Acrylic Water Based), and how close did you spray? I don't often get frosting but I usually just sand it off and paint over or re-coat. But then again, I usually go for more of a matt coat over my kits, so I guess it's not as big an issue for me?

Soaking the can in hot water is definite if you're painting in cool or cold weather. But usually you just shake it vigorously enough before and in between spray applications. I usually get frosting if I haven't shaken it enough and I apply too close to the kit. More often happens on bare plastic than painted surfaces for me, though---or maybe because it's less apparent on a painted surface.1

On the Ez-SR: I definitely feel the Dragonar vibe. The three Ez8s variants correspond to the three Dragonar Metal Armors in purpose and apparent look: Melee/Close Combat, Fire Support, and Electronic Warfare. The only thing missing is an ejectable armor 'coat' for the melee guy and a dual-bladed beam saber.

Oh, and the lifter packs. They're lacking that, too.

ZeroXSEED 2014-11-04 05:18

Generally when it comes to flat coat, it has to be acrylic (Mr. Color or Tamiya are the most common around this region)

Whereas gloss came from lacquer.

wavehawk 2014-11-04 06:59

I've only used Mr Spray TopCoat of those two. Here in Australia it does fairly well most of the year (Except Summer. Which is soon, and it will be hell) . But back when I was hand-brushing in the Philippines I always found that kits were hell to paint in humid conditions (enamels kept flaking off), so I usually used Tamiya grey primer as an undercoat before painting. Can't remember if there was frosting then, but since I was using it as an undercoat I probably didn't notice or didn't care as I was painting over it.

Wild Goose 2014-11-05 21:04

I use Mr. Hobby Top Coat Flat, the one in the light blue cans. As for distance... I think maybe it was about a forearm length? Maybe 20-30 cm away? I guess I kinda sprayed too much -_-;

wavehawk 2014-11-06 02:51

Forearm length is between 25-32cm away (roughly), shouldn't be too bad. Too close and the spray overflows (and would cause frosting if humid). Too far and it's a tiny mist.

Bonta Kun 2014-11-06 20:02

Balls.....just ordered a HG Harute, Qant, Lightning and Lightning backpack.....

Also got a MG nu on the way.....

Pretty much done with gunpla purchases for this year now I think....

I need to keep away during christmas and hope to god they don't put any sales up, that won't be good for my health.

Skye629 2014-11-07 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta Kun (Post 5327708)
Balls.....just ordered a HG Harute, Qant, Lightning and Lightning backpack.....

Also got a MG nu on the way.....

Pretty much done with gunpla purchases for this year now I think....

I need to keep away during christmas and hope to god they don't put any sales up, that won't be good for my health.

Not gonna happen anytime soon lol

Phoenix6000 2014-11-07 14:23

Is the Lightning backpack included with the Lightning MS, or do you have to buy them separately?

ZeroXSEED 2014-11-07 20:13

Separate

10char

wavehawk 2014-11-07 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix6000 (Post 5328663)
Is the Lightning backpack included with the Lightning MS, or do you have to buy them separately?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 5328953)
Separate

- AAARRGH!!! I was hoping they'd be in a set like the Build Strike and the early Build Fighters MS kits! WHY, Bandai? WHYYY?!?!?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...e15f290f0ee2c8

ZeroXSEED 2014-11-07 23:57

Lightning is a tall monster and BWS ain't exactly small

Gotta keep them price down.

wavehawk 2014-11-08 00:54

True, but they previously released the other kits in Build Fighters series with their add-on packs (Build Strike, Amazing Zaku, Kaempfer Amazing, GM Sniper K9, Powered GM Cardigan) as well as the add-on packs separately, and the original ReGZ kit was sold with it's Back Weapon system (expensive yes, but you expect it to be sold as a set).

On the other hand, they sold Fenice separate from the Meteor Hopper. Fenice isn't a big kit, but then again Meteor Hopper wasn't really integral to it. Lightning and the BWS are kind of a set IMHO.

Orattvisa 2014-11-08 09:12

Hey guys, can anyone tell me if it's advisable to top-coat metallic paints? I recently got a RG Strike Freedom and decided to paint the inner frame with mr hobby metallic rough gold, my first time working with metallic paint. Originally I intended to top-coat the whole thing with mr hobby matte, but I heard that top-coats tend to affect the shininess of the metallic paint negatively.