AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fansub Groups (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Newbie's Video Guide to Fansubbing: Timing, Typesetting, Encoding (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=43859)

Morph 2007-03-05 06:24

Newbie's Video Guide to Fansubbing: Timing, Typesetting, Encoding

Since they are hosted on YouTube, the qualities are horrendous but watchable.

Softwares -
AegiSub
AMVApps

Timing (I apologize in advance about the volume):
Timing Part I
Tming Part II
Timing Example

Typesetting:
Typesetting

Encoding:
Encoding Part I
Encoding Part II

There are probably much better ways of doing all of the above - but this is what I know on how to do them. So for the 99% of you who reads this forum regularly, don't laugh too hard if you do watch these videos and find the methods grossly archaic.

Again, all the examples only scratch the surface of each arena -- but knowing these basic things will allow you to produce a somewhat watchable result.

---

In light of Devastator's response, I made a new typesetting guide video demonstrating the creation of a "Note Box" that uses vector drawing, clipping, transformation, timed fade, etc. It is probably more helpful than the basic typesetting video listed above.

Timing Example @ Stage6.com
Basic Typesetting @ Stage6.com
Basic Encoding @ Stage6.com

* NEW *
Typesetting a Note Box

Neobody 2007-03-05 07:06

Interesting... a Great Guide Indeed. This guide will help alot more Noobs in learning how to fansub. Arigatou

Stuart444 2007-03-05 09:46

nice guides, good for getting newbies interested or helping newbies who are trying to learn that stuff ^^

is it possible to make them available for download if you still have the video? >_> so I have them handy whenever? ^^;

False Dawn 2007-03-05 11:45

The video quality hampers this too much, I found. I couldn't read any of the buttons that were clicked, which almost makes the whole learning process obsolete.

For any newbies wishing to learn any of these, I'd suggest messing around by yourself with some of the programs until you've found a method of timing/typesetting/encoding that suits you. For example, I found that I like to time with the video open (although I time to the audio), because if there's a bit that's not so obvious to time, I can flick to the part in the video and sometimes that helps (not always though).

Also, another thing for those who wish to take the basics further, I'd suggest looking at the way that other people do each of those. There are many notable subbers in those fields, so watching releases by them and seeing how they do it can often help you with your own skills (though, a warning on that one - if you do it too much, like I do, you start noticing things with every release that you wouldn't have before, and start picking apart releases without even realising it...)

But yeah, best newbie advice = learn from the experienced people around you.

xxanimefan4_ever 2007-03-05 19:08

did you make it? if so you can upload on other sites like youtube that has much better quailty.

like stage6.com (if it's encoded xvid/dvix)

Devastator 2007-03-06 11:07

I took a quick look at the videos, skipping through. The timing tutorial looked alright from what I saw. The typesetting and encoding videos though... there were some things I felt needed to be noted.

Regarding the typesetting video, I think you should've skipped some of the basic functions, or if necessary, covered them very lightly. Changing the font size and name, using pos and move are all very basic. I really don't think anyone needs a guide to figure out how to use them apart from the syntax. I'm a part of the group of people that learned how to use ASS with the MorphineX guide (giving the syntax and 1-line descriptions) and Notepad.

Now the encoding video... Where should I start? Since I take it you know how to use VirtualDub (or at least VDM, since you used it in the video) and AviSynth, it would have been a good idea to cut out the unnecessary parts, like sitting on Google typing things, deleting them, then closing/minimizing the browser and the bit about trying to rename an open file.

Also, 10MB per minute sounds like years of research in video compression thrown out the window to me. If 10MB per minute was optimal, I'm sure there'd be a lot of 240MB (+ audio) anime encodes. Several key factors play into how much a video can effectively be compressed without visible loss of quality, which is why a lot of people suggest referring to the 1-pass options (eg. Q2 for Xvid, CRF18 for h.264).

For a more accurate reading of the start and end time of your selection, there are shortcuts, [ and ]. I'm not favourable of guestimating the length of a video.

Additionally, 10,000kB does not equal 10MB. 1,024kB (2^10 kB, or 2^20 bytes) is equal to 1MB. If you prefer to go by the way that industries mask disk sizes (eg. "4.7GB" DVDs, when in actuality, it's roughly 4.7 billion bytes, or 4.7 billion bytes / 2^30 bytes/GB ~= 4.377GB), then okay, I suppose 10,000kB is fine.

Lastly, I think the audience would've probably been anticipating to see the result of your encode, rather than another AVS example with an advertisement as the header comment.

Morph 2007-03-06 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever
did you make it? if so you can upload on other sites like youtube that has much better quailty.

Ah, my upload is really slow... and to upload these videos to YouTube (and my own site) restricted my download for almost a day! I'd really rather not reencode (which will make it gigantic), and upload if I don't have to. But please feel free to do so if you have the time and patience!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastator (Post 853846)
Regarding the typesetting video, I think you should've skipped some of the basic functions, or if necessary, covered them very lightly. Changing the font size and name, using pos and move are all very basic.

Yes, you're right... but it is an introduction to typesetting :heh:

Quote:

I really don't think anyone needs a guide to figure out how to use them apart from the syntax. I'm a part of the group of people that learned how to use ASS with the MorphineX guide (giving the syntax and 1-line descriptions) and Notepad.
Well, reading takes more motivation~! A simple video guide is easier to understand in my opinion for beginners who dare to venture into the world of typesetting.

And I'm very happy you read what I wrote about TextSub ~ but I think the scene changed so much since that newer guides would be more helpful. I read the karaoke help thread here sometime ago, and the information being passed there is just mind boggling. But if I make a new video, I will introduce transformation, vector drawing, fade, border, and stuff in a more organized fashion (like a note box! I love note boxes, they're so distracting).

Quote:

Now the encoding video... Where should I start? Since I take it you know how to use VirtualDub (or at least VDM, since you used it in the video) and AviSynth, it would have been a good idea to cut out the unnecessary parts, like sitting on Google typing things, deleting them, then closing/minimizing the browser and the bit about trying to rename an open file.
I have to be honest. The timing video was the first one I did, and I wrote on a piece of paper with what I was going to cover. The encoding video, I did it impromptu. I actually started recording, and paused for a second to think, "wait... do I have any raws or ass to work with? Ah! yes! I was thinking about working on KgNE AMV, so I got those files to play with!"

So, there were a lot of... just random stuff I threw in as I remembered them. Sorry! I will be more concise if I make anymore video.

Quote:

Also, 10MB per minute sounds like years of research in video compression thrown out the window to me. If 10MB per minute was optimal, I'm sure there'd be a lot of 240MB (+ audio) anime encodes.
That's very true. Frankly, I was never in the encoding sector, and learned only bits and pieces here and there. I learned enough to push out a release that's good enough where average fansub viewer wouldn't be able to tell the difference ... or that if I have the encoder's usual filter setup for the raw, I would be able to process and release.

Quote:

Lastly, I think the audience would've probably been anticipating to see the result of your encode, rather than another AVS example with an advertisement as the header comment.
Haha, no, it wasn't an advertisement really. It's what I used, and it worked well for me and will probably work well for newbie who just want to play with filters without having to download each of them individually. It's really a nice package, though probably superfluous for real encoders out there.

Real good encoding takes a lot more time to learn than just what I showed within the 10 minutes I decided to use on the video. And I know I don't have the qualifications to talk about it in any detail. But if people just want to encode something quickly, they can just view the video, and produce something in a few minutes with free software without having to read pages of documents =)

Devastator 2007-03-06 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph (Post 853929)
And I'm very happy you read what I wrote about TextSub

I feel a serious need for an apology then. I didn't pay any attention to who created the thread (nor did I know this was your name here). I've actually been sitting here trying to think what to type for some time and I still feel bad about what I typed earlier.

Anyways, I look forward to your next video. Sounds like you've got the right idea.

Morph 2007-03-06 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastator (Post 853981)
I feel a serious need for an apology then.

Er... you didn't flame me for no reason but gave constructive criticisms -- you shouldn't be apologizing just because I wrote something so long ago.

endy 2007-03-06 16:16

hey this would have been useful to me 4 months ago! but ah well, seems like a good start for noobs anyway.

Morph 2007-03-08 01:04

New video and new streaming service

Stage6.com worked really well once I discovered that I just needed to tweak the DiVX encode setup a bit so it doesn't screw up the video. So now, text on videos actually readable!

Also added a new video with Devastator's suggestion in mind ~ I hope it's a little more helpful.

kuro-hana 2007-03-11 06:56

Would recommend redoing the encoding video as it was a bit all over the place.

Synthetic 2007-03-11 11:35

This was great! I am totally new to timing (never done it before) but when I seen your tutorial, I downloaded Aegisub and timed the intro to Bleach :P

When I watched the intro with my timed subtitles over it, I was really surprised at how well it worked out =D

My timings were nearly perfect and it was very watchable!

I think I could really get into the whole timing thing. I guess I'll try an episode now!

nekochan 2011-02-13 01:22

I am new to this. I found your tutorial via search but wasn't able to view the videos. Please help. Thanks :D

thevil1 2011-04-10 21:52

The youtube videos are marked as private. How can I view them? I'm trying to learn to encode.
Thanks.

TheFluff 2011-04-11 06:36

These days I'd say it's not worth learning to encode unless you already have your own ts capper. Just download a random share/pd raw that doesn't look too terrible, mux in your script and release.

Learning how to encode properly is nontrivial and is not something you pick up by watching youtube videos. There are so many pitfalls and odd gotchas that chances are that for the first year or so you do it you have an about 50% chance on every release on fucking something more or less significant up. Some of these fuckups will be perceivable to your viewers; others will just make other encoders laugh at you.

thevil1 2011-04-11 09:42

I may be a bit confused as to what encoders do. I recently learned to use the basics of Aegisub, and I've been practicing my @ss off with that and I've estimated that I could probably sub an entire 20 min ep in about a half hour if it's already been translated. So besides adding the subs and QCing, what else is done? What do encoders do? I've looked for articles and such talking about the steps put into fan subbing. I want to contribute to the community that's why I'm eager to learn.

Name 2011-04-13 00:59

You don't seem to understand the difference between adding subs to a video and actually encoding it (making it downloadable & watchable).

ConsiderPhlebas 2011-04-14 16:15

Encoding has to do with video and audio transformation from one form to another, including subs/signs is just a minor detail in that business. Filtering and other magic words that I don't even know are used to change large files into small with little or no loss of quality, etc. Being colour blind I was discouraged from even attempting to learn this part of the trade ;D

Muxing is something else: adding various video, audio, and subtitle tracks into a container, not to be confused with encoding.

kyouharu21 2012-06-03 21:23

Umm, the video is private.. I cant watch it..