AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Darker Than Black Manga Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82496)

monir 2009-06-08 03:12

Darker Than Black Manga Discussion

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1688/dtbsknh.jpg

The popular anime series, Darker Than Black, which is conceived by Okamura Tensai, now has a manga adaptation as well. The manga in question is the one that just started a month ago on Young GanGan, by Iwahara Yuuji, and the title is DARKER THAN BLACK -漆黒の花- (The pitch black flower).
It follows the events taking place after the first DtB anime series ended, and the art is quite faithful to the style of anime.

It's not revealed yet whether the story is related to the upcoming 2nd series yet. You can read the first chapter on their official webpage. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/browsing/

The other manga adaptation from Noki Ya in Monthly Asuka ended a while back. His adaptation of the first series was heavily criticised for having bad artwork, doujin level adaptation of story, and personalities completely different from anime counterparts.

The synopsis in the following is stolen from wiki for those who are new to the series:
Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell's Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations and organizations around the world use Contractors as spies and assassins, often resulting in violent battles for information. Each fake star has a corresponding Contractor, and they vibrate when their Contractor's power is being used. As such, Contractors are usually identified by their star's Messier catalogue number. However, their abilities are gained at the cost of their humanity. They are implied to lack human emotions which includes no aversions to murder, and they are regarded as extremely rational and logical in their decision making. Contractors are thus named because of their need to always complete a remuneration or payment each time their power is used (ex. eating flowers, breaking fingers, drinking blood). It is not entirely clear what happens to one if he or she fails to complete the remuneration. Contractors are described as being psychologically compelled to complete their remunerative task.
Please direct all manga related discussion to this thread.

edit: (060909) Correction made to the opening post. Thanks goes to aohige.

aohige 2009-06-08 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir (Post 2441247)
The popular anime series, Darker Than Black, which is conceived by Okamura Tensai, now has a manga adaptation as well. The manga is taking place from the end of the first season of Darker Than Black anime series. The illustration for the manga is done by Noki Ya. The manga is being serialized in the Monthly Asuka and Young Gangan. The image in this post is stolen from Herbert's post which was submitted in the 2nd Season anime thread. The synopsis in the following is stolen from wiki for those who are new to the series:

Actually, let me correct you on that.
The manga in question is the one that just started a month ago on Young GanGan, by Iwahara Yuuji, and the title is DARKER THAN BLACK -漆黒の花- (The pitch black flower).
It follows the events taking place after the first DtB anime series ended, and the art is quite faithful to the style of anime.
It's not revealed yet whether the story is related to the upcoming 2nd series yet.
You can read the first chapter on their official webpage. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/yg/browsing/

The manga adaptation from Noki Ya in Monthly Asuka ended a while back.
This adaptation of the first series was heavily criticised for having bad artwork, doujin level adaptation of story, and personalities completely different from anime counterparts.

Edit: Also, the image you used is an article about the new anime series. Here's an introductory pic of the manga.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1688/dtbsknh.jpg

blewin 2009-06-08 05:46

Just wondering, if I'm to talk about the content of the released chapters so far, do I have to use spoiler tags here?

pinkautumn13 2009-06-08 06:28

dunno bout that anime i think i need to watch

Tyrone Biggums 2009-06-08 07:56

Good show. So this manga picks up from the 1st season? And were getting a second season!?!? Finally!

Used Can 2009-06-08 12:36

Hopefully, this one will be a proper adaptation, because the previous manga was crap.

Vanehei 2009-06-08 21:04

yes, the first manga was ..... a big mistake with shoujo style...

But, about the second and official manga i can say that
Spoiler for Manga:

holyalexander 2009-06-08 21:41

i would give this a try...

Used Can 2009-06-08 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kashima (Post 2442703)
Spoiler for Manga:

Spoiler:

monir 2009-06-09 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 2441294)
Actually, let me correct you on that.

I see. So these are actually two different sets of manga series adapted by two different author whose work ran on these two magazine, Monthly Asuka and Young Gan Gan respectively. Good info. Necessary correction made to the opening post.

xx_At 2009-06-09 04:12

the released promotional pictures of yin and hei were for the 2nd season of the anime. The manga here runs a different story so its not suprising if their relationship is not explored.

I dun think the creator of the anime is any part of this manga, the only link they hav is that the mangaka here was also the original character design for the anime. Which is why the style has been so similar.

-KarumA- 2009-06-09 04:25

promo scans, they are promo scans D:
have you guys never learned anything from promo scans they do not suggest romance between characters, enough magazines even make promo scans of 2 male characters in ways a yaoi fangirl would scream her heart out but that doesn't mean that it will happen or if it is happening D: never fall for the promo scans! they are not to be trusted!

denice25 2009-06-09 04:32

great info.... thanks..

Solafighter 2009-06-09 07:03

Just that im not mistaken.

This manga is not brand new, isnt it, or? :confused:

Or is it a "season" 2? :rolleyes:

Tyrone Biggums 2009-06-09 09:06

I might just wait for Season 2 of the anime to come out...which hopefully will be soon.

-KarumA- 2009-06-09 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solafighter (Post 2443359)
Just that im not mistaken.

This manga is not brand new, isnt it, or? :confused:

Or is it a "season" 2? :rolleyes:

You are thinking like I was, this isn't part of the older manga they did for DTB but is season 2

Yu Ominae 2009-07-12 16:00

Already read it. First chapter's so cool. :D

Tyrone Biggums 2009-07-13 08:30

Kiriharia is still hung up on Hei lol

And he is now the number 1 most dangerous Contractor in the world. I love it.

So the world now knows about Contractors right?

MrTerrorist 2009-07-13 12:57

Just so you guys know, Yuuji Iwahara, the manga artist for the Second DTB manga was the original character designer for the DTB anime.

It's good to know he's doing a manga based on the characters he design on the anime considering he also doing the manga King of Thorn.

Yu Ominae 2009-07-13 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums (Post 2511887)
Kiriharia is still hung up on Hei lol

And he is now the number 1 most dangerous Contractor in the world. I love it.

So the world now knows about Contractors right?

Guess so since...

Spoiler for Epilogue from S1: