AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Character Discussion - Shirai "Jealousy" Kuroko (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=88381)

monir 2009-11-12 20:49

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Character Discussion - Shirai "Jealousy" Kuroko

http://i36.tinypic.com/wva7oi.jpg

The soul purpose of this thread is to discuss every nook and crannie involving Kuroko. We talk Kuroko, Kuroko, and then some more Kuroko.
The only rules that applies to this thread is to have fun with everyone else. At no time can anyone cross the personal boundaries where another poster would be made uncomfortable in any manner. Please show respect to each others opinion.
Have lots of fun!

Miraluka 2009-11-12 20:53

Oh Monir, why? why!!! ;O;
This thread shouldn't have "character discussion" in the title, put Fun discussion or something like that please.... looks like certain mod needs to be punished =_=+

monir 2009-11-12 21:05

lol. how about simply Shirai "Jealousy" Kuroko then? If someone can come up with an even wittier thread title, I shall be more than happy to make the appropriate change.

Miraluka 2009-11-12 21:32

Well is better now
<.<
>.>

Master Assassin 2009-11-12 21:57

... Looks like "Jealousy Of Shirai Kuroko" is becoming of something I'd love thinking deep upon.

Especially when it involves a certain Level 0 Esper named Kamijou Touma. :heh:

Just to what extent does she... uh, admire her senior, Misaka Mikoto? And just to what extent can she keep this "jealousy" in check? Of course, she knows Mikoto's best interests at heart but I think there's more personal stuff she needs to know of herself.

Falkor 2009-11-12 22:46

the word jealousy fits her surprisingly well. :P twin-tails, sexy underwear and yuri preferences makes her one of my favorite characters.

I didn't quite like her voice at first, but it has been growing on me (together with her character); plus her antics are something you can't help but enjoy. somehow I've seen myself rooting for her evil plans to succeed, even if you unconsciously know that it's not going to go very smoothly---she needs to try harder! :P.

ReddyRedWolf 2009-11-12 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul Assassin (Post 2764123)
... Looks like "Jealousy Of Shirai Kuroko" is becoming of something I'd love thinking deep upon.

Especially when it involves a certain Level 0 Esper named Kamijou Touma. :heh:

Just to what extent does she... uh, admire her senior, Misaka Mikoto? And just to what extent can she keep this "jealousy" in check? Of course, she knows Mikoto's best interests at heart but I think there's more personal stuff she needs to know of herself.

Well she can't accept the reality Mikoto likes Touma.:heh:

Though there was potential for hijinks when she allowed Touma in their dorm room. One boy, one girl in a girls dorm.

Kuroko made it out with her life on that one. She was like... Why wont my powers work?!

Its fascinating that Touma can't raise Kuruko's flags. :heh:

McMilk 2009-11-12 23:02

Best thread ever.

I found myself to like her more and more everytime I watch Railgun. Eventually I found out that the reason is because of her jealousy (= humor). Therefore, this is the best thread ever.

Dean_the_Young 2009-11-12 23:34

I think Kuroko is most interesting when she isn't super-over-exagerated obsessively jealous about Misaka. Whenever she's most 'funny' in the anime, she's the most boring and stale, or at least cliche and not amusing. Like McMilk's user image at the moment: not amusing at all, in the same way that anime fanservice is hardly erotic.

On the other hand, subtle jealousy/obsession is more amusing in its own right, and highlights Kuroko's immaturity; like when Touma learns that she sleeps in Misaka's bed in secret. Her overall, non-exagerated, jealousy is an interesting character diminsion, especially in regards to her age as Misaka's junior (when Misaka herself is still pretty young and not developed).

I wouldn't have much good to say about Kuroko in general (her never having a great point in Index anime), except that I read the chapter of Railgun where she's forced to fight another esper, and has a hard time of it. I saw some things I respected in that: dedication, responsibility, thoughtfulness, and selflessness. Many of the same things, ironically, that Misaka admires in Touma.

Kuroko is young, and immature. Probably too immature to really appreciate what Misaka means to her in anything but a childish way. And it's that part of her that's the most repulsive. But if, when, she matures and grows up mentally, she'll be a fine psychic, and might stand an honest chance in her own right.

MrTerrorist 2009-11-13 06:55

(looks at Kuroko's picture above):twitch:
I prefer the pic where Kuroko looks like a smugsnake rather than a psycho since its creepy for some.

Dean_the_Young 2009-11-13 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 2764785)
(looks at Kuroko's picture above):twitch:
I prefer the pic where Kuroko looks like a smugsnake rather than a psycho since its creepy for some.

Totally agreed.

Watching middle-schoolers try and look smug is hilarious in its own right.

MrTerrorist 2009-11-13 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young (Post 2764797)
Totally agreed.

Watching middle-schoolers try and look smug is hilarious in its own right.

My favorite smugsnake look of hers was in Index episode 21 when she "captured" Sherry Cromwell and the one when she did that peculiar laugh when she & Mikoto encounter Index, Touma & Hyōka in episode 22.

For something cuter, i like the one where she was lying on Mikoto's pillow in episode 11.

Dean_the_Young 2009-11-13 07:25

And you know what those have in common?

Zero anime hyperbole expressions/actions. Which makes them better. Index as a whole doesn't seem to work well with anime visual tropes in general.

Cyrus17 2009-11-13 09:35

Some info on Kuroko's special manner of speech here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...89#post2755689

I'll quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansalem (Post 2755689)
I believe you are referring to her habit of ending every setence in ますの (masuno)/ ですの (desuno).

In general, Kuroko speaks in a more polite fashion than is normal for the relationships of the people with whom she is speaking. I don't know how you know about Japanese, but there are basically three levels of politeness: short-form, teinei (masu/desu-form), and keigo+humble. Kuroku pretty much never uses short-form, with which you would generally speak to friends and family, using instead more formal language.

Nodesu/ndesu/no/nda is a sentence-ending grammatical form with a variety of implications, such as showing explanation and giving emotional emphasis. Kuroku makes excessive use of this grammatical form, specifically "no." No is a variety of ndesu usually used by women (and children) when speaking casually, added to the end of short-form. However, when speaking in teinei as Kuroko usually does, it is normal to use short-form + ndesu. This is both polite and neutral. She instead adds no to the end of masu/desu, which is very unusual for a normal person. (and drives me crazy listening to her) As someone suggested, this may give her a lady-like quality to her speech I guess, since no is mainly a female-ending. She also uses the sentence-ending particle wa, which is also feminine and not irregular, but not as often as she says nantoka desuno, nantoka shimasuno.

So in summary, her speech is polite, feminine, and very weird for a high school student.

and
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yufankun (Post 2756640)
Kuroko's use of keigo seems to be derived from the fact that she goes to an ojou-sama school, tokiwadai, meaning she basicly is a rich "high-class" girl, so her speech pattern is meant to reflect that. It's part of the whole ojou-sama image that Uiharu has such a fetisch for. In the first couple of episodes we get to hear other tokiwadai students speaking and they also use keigo. In fact, the only tokiwadai student I can think of that doesn't follow this speech-pattern is Mikoto who speaks more like a normal student would.

Also, Kuroko's (over)use of no at the end of most of her sentences seems to be a personal quirk of hers. Adding the same particle at the end of most sentences is fairly common in characters that are meant to be cute/funny.

:)

Patriot's Blade 2009-11-13 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf (Post 2764205)

Though there was potential for hijinks when she allowed Touma in their dorm room. One boy, one girl in a girls dorm.

Kuroko made it out with her life on that one. She was like... Why wont my powers work?!

Its fascinating that Touma can't raise Kuruko's flags. :heh:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/...15922a562f.jpg

Kuroko: "oh, Touma-chan, please massage my back with your Imagine Breaker while ojou-sama is still not home yet"

Touma: "no, i mean this thing only happens in a doujin version of ourselves!!"

Shinji103 2009-11-13 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. (Post 2764960)

Kuroko: "oh, Touma-chan, please massage my back with your Imagine Breaker while ojou-sama is still not home yet"

I'd buy that for a dollar. :heh:

Master Assassin 2009-11-13 11:28

Quote:

... Unfortunately for Touma, the Rules of the Internets will always state that there will be ALWAYS a doujin of that. Of what he said.

Guess we have the doujinshi-kas to be thankful for our weirdest(?) fantasies... :rolleyes:

Miraluka 2009-11-13 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 2764815)
My favorite smugsnake look of hers was in Index episode 21 when she "captured" Sherry Cromwell and the one when she did that peculiar laugh when she & Mikoto encounter Index, Touma & Hyōka in episode 22.

For something cuter, i like the one where she was lying on Mikoto's pillow in episode 11.

Her smile reminded me the style of Hayate no Gotoku smiles :heh:.
Kuroko is a good character when JCStaff don't make exagerate her obsession with her onee-sama.

About the novels, I'm really waiting for her time to shine like the main character in Vol.8 fighting the other teleporter girl :D.

tsunade666 2009-11-13 20:35

beats me. I like both. The exaggerating part and the mild delusion part. Both are well depict for her. Though the old lady seiyu for her kinda fits her but when they show the flashback. Having the same voice well.......... its not right in tons of way for me.

The doujin of that one will be number 1. Though I hate to say it but I will say it. It just won't spark and interest for me. Having touma and kuroko. She should just stay with her oneesama.

OR JUST CREATE A YURI HAREM FOR HER!!!! :D

SaintessHeart 2009-11-13 21:51

Is this thread an excuse to discuss her yuri inclinations? :D

Quote:

Ironically, she is the one with a broken imagination. But I bought her cuteness on that bed anyway.

I think her speech pattern is meant to cater for her high-strung attitude as a Tokiwadai girl. Elegant and snobbish, but willing to enslave herself to the Railgun. Similarly, her name is an oxymoron as is her character : Kuroko (Dark Child) Shiraishi (White Well).