AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Death Note (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Death Note (TV series) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34884)

monir 2006-08-05 23:30

Death Note (TV series)

http://imagesocket.com/images/11030ef7.jpg
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/11030ef7.jpg

Genre: Mystery, Detective

Expected Release Date: October 2006

I didn't find a thread for the TV series in my search though I've found a couple of threads for the manga and the live action movie. However, if I've missed the existing thread somehow, feel free to merge it.

Considering how popular the manga for this title is, it was just a matter of time before an anime adaptation was announced. I personally haven't read the manga but I've been yearning for a good detective/mystery type anime for some time now. The manga readers are always so gaga over it any time Death Note is mentioned in the forums or in IRC, so I can't wait to find out the reason behind it. Synopsis in the following is as taken from AniDB.
Light Yagami (Or Raito) is an ace student with great aspects who`s bored out of his mind. One day he finds the Death Note a notebook held by a shinigami (Death God). with the Death Note in hand, Light decides to create a perfect world. A world without crime or criminals. However when criminals start dropping dead one by one, the authorites send the legendary detective L to track down the killer.
I like the sound of "detective L." Looking forward to it! :)

Deathkillz 2006-08-05 23:37

^ oh wow October is gona be a great month :D death note owns...twisted morals FTW :p

Dagger 2006-08-07 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by monir
I didn't find a thread for the TV series in my search though I've found a couple of threads for the manga and the live action movie. However, if I've missed the existing thread somehow, feel free to merge it.

Ahem... ;)

It's been confirmed that the anime will be done by Madhouse, right? I have mixed feelings about that. While they're definitely capable of pulling out some sweet visuals, they haven't shown much in the way of animation l33tness in recent times, unless I'm forgetting something important. I mean, DN is mostly talking heads anyway--but IMO that gives them even less of an excuse to cut corners.

Shinoto 2006-08-08 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magus IX
Ahem... ;)

It's been confirmed that the anime will be done by Madhouse, right? I have mixed feelings about that. While they're definitely capable of pulling out some sweet visuals, they haven't shown much in the way of animation l33tness in recent times, unless I'm forgetting something important. I mean, DN is mostly talking heads anyway--but IMO that gives them even less of an excuse to cut corners.

Im unsure about how good is it going to be. The problem is Death Note is that its pretty much all talking. The problem is if they go into too much depth, it will be boring. But if they dont go in enough it will be too shallow and unsuspensful

Spooky-Electric 2006-08-08 13:42

Quote:

Ahem... ;)

If they do work on par with what they did on Monster then it will be fine. They just need to create the atmosphere, and succesfully adapt the artwork to anime.

Other than that it's not a series that requires great moving animation.

Dagger 2006-08-08 21:41

Speaking of artwork, here are some character design sketches (just Light, L and Ryuk), courtesy of one of the Death Note LJ comms.

Page 1
Page 2

They look pretty good--about as true to the manga designs as Hikaru no Go's anime designs, which was the level of accuracy I had been expecting. But is it just me, or is Ryuk a little too skinny?

monir 2006-08-09 13:33

Quote:

Ahem... ;)

oopsie..:o I swear I searched the entire forum with the keywords "Death Note/DeathNote/Death/Note". Either the forums are playing tricks on me or I need to improve my searching skill. I suspect the latter. :p I knew it was too good to be true to not to have a thread on this title already. I'm sure the mods will merge the thread with the existing one at due time.

As for how the show will turn out in its animated form, even if the show is dialogue oriented, it always comes down to how good a studio is at anime adaptation. I think KyoAni is the best example who are not only tremendously good with animation, but also very very good with picking their VAs' (voice actors), music, tone, etc. If the show turns out to be as good as Monster, then it will indeed be a really good show to look forward to.

ShikaShika 2006-08-09 14:11

For once I really really hope they this is an anime adaptation that isn't true to the manga. Don't get me wrong, the manga is terrific, or was, for the 30 first chapters or so, after which it (imho) simply failed. I won't go into any spoiler details, but I hope the anime does something along the lines of what the movies did (I haven't seen them, but they seem to cencentrate on the earlier part of the manga).

Has there been any anouncement regarding the length of the anime? If they animate it all, it'd probably fit in nicely as a 52-episode series, but personally I hope the concentrate on the early part of the manga and make an original ending, ending at about 26 episodes. Positive thing is that since the manga is finished, we're not likely to see much filler.

domino 2006-08-09 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShikaShika
For once I really really hope they this is an anime adaptation that isn't true to the manga. Don't get me wrong, the manga is terrific, or was, for the 30 first chapters or so, after which it (imho) simply failed. I won't go into any spoiler details, but I hope the anime does something along the lines of what the movies did (I haven't seen them, but they seem to cencentrate on the earlier part of the manga).

Has there been any anouncement regarding the length of the anime? If they animate it all, it'd probably fit in nicely as a 52-episode series, but personally I hope the concentrate on the early part of the manga and make an original ending, ending at about 26 episodes. Positive thing is that since the manga is finished, we're not likely to see much filler.

I think they should make a faithful adaptation of the entire manga (but maybe add a few new things to spice things up).

While only focusing on the first half of the story and adding an original ending would be interesting, that's exactly what the live-action movie is doing, so that idea will be stale by the time the TV anime comes out.

ShikaShika 2006-08-09 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino
I think they should make a faithful adaptation of the entire manga (but maybe add a few new things to spice things up).

While only focusing on the first half of the story and adding an original ending would be interesting, that's exactly what the live-action movie is doing, so that idea will be stale by the time the TV anime comes out.

Yeah I doubt very much the anime is going to divert much from the manga, especially if Madhouse is doing it. Well, I have the movies at least. (And the 15 or so first episodes of the anime. :))

Dagger 2006-08-09 17:02

I'm sure the anime will compress events where it's appropriate (i.e. in places where the manga dragged). That should help smooth out the viewing experience.

Spooky-Electric 2006-08-09 20:58

Anime by nature tends to drag though..

The pace of the manga is strongly dictated by how fast the viewer chooses to read it.

Dagger 2006-08-09 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Anime by nature tends to drag though..

The pace of the manga is strongly dictated by how fast the viewer chooses to read it.

Speaking abstractly, I'd argue that five sucky chapters in five minutes is no better than five sucky chapters in half an hour. If anything, the compressed crappiness would probably leave the faster reader with an even worse impression. :p

Sure, anime in general tends to drag when the manga isn't finished and they resort to making up filler. But with the manga already over, I don't think the scriptwriters and director of Death Note have any excuse to make things seem more stretched-out than they should.

Spooky-Electric 2006-08-09 23:43

Except no anime has ever covered 5 chapters in one half-hour episode.

It would be more like 5 chapters in 15 minutes of crappiness vs. an hour of the anime in crapiness.

I would rather have less of the crapiness.

It's not always a result of the manga being unfinished or wanting to include filler either. I remember parts of the Monster anime feeling very slow compared to when I read it in the manga, and the anime follows the manga exactly.

Dagger 2006-08-10 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
It's not always a result of the manga being unfinished or wanting to include filler either. I remember parts of the Monster anime feeling very slow compared to when I read it in the manga, and the anime follows the manga exactly.

Perhaps too exactly? (In terms of pacing.)

But in the case of Monster, assuming you read the whole manga before you watched the anime, I think it may be a little unfair to compare them; any suspense series is going to feel slower when you lose the thrill of seeing or reading it for the first time. Sure, manga can dodge that somewhat because one can just skim when one re-reads it, but if one were reading it in-depth just like the first time, the slowing-down effect would probably be just as strong as what you get when you see an anime based on a story you're already familiar with.

Ja-Y-Ce 2006-08-10 06:45

Hmm... DN opening and ending songs r now known. :D Wonder will they be good? hee :heh:

Opening Theme:
"The World" by Nightmare
Ending Theme:
"Aluminia" by Nightmare

source: Shounen Jump Issue 38

myopius 2006-08-11 23:17

I think this could be really excellent.

I watched Monster but never read it, so I don't know how well Madhouse built the mood. I feel like I can sense it, however, since as I watched it I realized there wasn't a lot of action to animate and so it probably worked very well in a still-frame setting.

In respect to Death Note, I think they have a real opportunity to provide a feel to the Death Note story that I couldn't pick up in still frames. Using lighting and directing to convey the mood of a world in (physical and spiritual) chaos due to the actions of Kira, rather than just honing in on Light's face as he consider something diabolic for 90% of the episodes--that would be a really joy to see.

While a lot should happen in the coming times that I should be way more concerned about, I'm still really looking forward to October for this reason. And now, to investigate that music (thanks for the heads up, Ja-Y-Ce!).

Edit: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4...athnotehf1.jpg makes me think they really may do the lighting well. Also, just listened to a sample of Nightmare's music at http://nightmare.chusha-ki.net/ --great instrumentals (it's definitely rock).

Lotiman 2006-08-12 08:06

Only Live TV series huh. Will it turn to Anime?

LightningZERO 2006-08-12 13:47

It is an anime series

Ja-Y-Ce 2006-08-29 09:01

Accordin to Shonen Jump Issue 40,

Death Note Anime
- Starts from October 3, 24:56pm
- Cast:
Light: Miyano Mamoru (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoru_Miyano)
L: Yamaguchi Kappei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappei_Yamaguchi)

hmmm.... Kappei Yamaguchi, i guess many r familiar with him. One good example is Inuyasha and Usopp in One Piece. I am not sure abt Mamoru Miyano as Raito though...

Source: http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump/

p/s: hahahahaha now then i realise tt actually i know who mamoru miyano is... hmmm.... i tink he got to sound more serious than his usual tone and hopefully he can do a good job? well, i guess we got to wait for it. *counting down...*