AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tokyopop (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1138)

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 19:56

Tokyopop

Who reads the mangas from that publisher?Tokyopop

LynnieS 2003-11-17 19:58

I do. Are you looking for opinions on one of their titles or something similiar?

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 20:05

Na, just wondering. I read them but on some forums people have something against it. But I will take suggestions! Always looking for new stories to read!

LynnieS 2003-11-17 20:13

Hmm. Wasn't there a Suggestion thread for the Manga forum before the Great Reset happened? If so, I guess it hadn't been resurrected yet.

This would work in a pinch. So which title(s) have you read and liked? I can just give you a list of TokyoPop's titles that I had enjoyed, but ...

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 20:18

I like clamp's work! I own chobits and Angelic Layer by them. Then I have Fushigi Yuugi by Yuu Watase. If any of Tanemura Arina's work gets translated I'm definetly gonna buy it! Like fullmoon wo sagashite and Kamikaze kaitou jeanne. They're the best stories I've ever read!(japanese; can read little but it's not too clear lol!)

snoopy 2003-11-17 20:18

I recommend GTO.

And regarding TokyoPop, they butcher Initial D, and their editors are... well, *not good*. Also they translated 'Ikkitousen' as 'Battle Vixen', and yeah, that makes me officially hate them. Not that I really love Ikkitousen, but by the principal of the thing.

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 20:20

What about viz comics? Do you think that they do a good job?

LynnieS 2003-11-17 20:45

From TokyoPop, I'd go for "Wish", which is by CLAMP also. It's a four-book series about an angel's relationship with a human doctor; it's an early work. "X/1999", I hear, is good, but I've never read the books for myself.

Del Rey is also putting out CLAMP's "Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle" in early 2004. There's an associated title that is linked to this one, "XXXholic", but I hadn't picked up the book yet. Various CLAMP characters are in these.

"Marmalade Boy", also from TokyoPop, is very good also. The manga covers eight books with the anime coming out in April 2004. It's shoujo and heavy on the relationships. Something of a feel-good soap opera. The author of this title, Yoshizumi-san, wrote "Ultra Maniac" also, which isn't available in English manga [yet].

"Clover" is... IMHO, a little bit weird. I've only read the first book; the quality of the book is higher than the usual so cost-wise, it's higher. Think of the main character as the predecessor of Chii, but human/mutant instead of an android.

"Kare Kano" is the manga for "His and Her Circumstances". Also very good, and the anime is faithful to the manga. Book 6 should be out by now too. Quality of the art has gone down, I think, though.

"Wild Act" is like a homage to James Dean(?). Girl loves dead but really famous actor and falls in love with good-looking and talented guy who is mentioned in the same breath as her hero.

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 20:48

Wish is cute I've read the first one. Is there really 4 books? I thought there were 3... Well, I borrowed it from a friend and tomorrow I'm gonna borrow my other friend's book (x/1999). It looks good!

AnimeFangirl 2003-11-17 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy
Not that I really love Ikkitousen, but by the principal of the thing.

Principle, dearest, it's the principle of the thing.
And with Tokyopop, I really like their Peach Girl, even though they used a really horrid font for it. Peach Girl is typical shoujo, but it's GOOD typical shoujo. And it's almost complete too!

Maveric 2003-11-17 20:53

Not really. Viz is notorious for publishing their manga flipped and translating all the sound effects to English. Plus the release schedual for most of the manga sucks (one voulme every 3 months? I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!). They have been better lately though, releasing all the new stuff unflipped (Ranma re-releases are still flipped though).

Despite all that, ADV is still the best publisher I've seen so far, and they only have 2 titles (Full Metal Panic! and Azumanga Diaoh). The manga is all unflipped, the sound effects are left alone (and they even have translations written in small print underneith them, something TP started to do in Love Hina, but quit by volume 8), and they even do the "last name first" bit correctly; a feat which I have not seen in any other manga.

LynnieS 2003-11-17 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsuki_desu
Wish is cute I've read the first one. Is there really 4 books? I thought there were 3... Well, I borrowed it from a friend and tomorrow I'm gonna borrow my other friend's book (x/1999). It looks good!

There are four books in "Wish", but it's more like three and a bit. They placed authors' corner sections in at least three of the books that I can think of at the end. With little chibi CLAMP authors! :)

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 21:05

I read Fushigi Yuugi from Viz. It's the greatest! It's funny and cute! But I like tokyopop better cuz you can read it the way japanese do! It's cool.

Mr. Bushido 2003-11-17 21:13

tokyopop is the best group... i dont know wat u guys are talking about. they're translation is good for their works. Real Bout Highschool, Samurai deeper kyo and love hina were almost perfect. btw they make a volume a month for their books, while Viz can take up to 3 freakin months. Go to the Love Hina thread and read it.
I recommend Love Hina, its probably the best manga for tokyopop.

tsuki_desu 2003-11-17 21:20

Love hina is good but it gets annoying. I've read up to the 4th book.

snoopy 2003-11-17 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnieS
"Kare Kano" is the manga for "His and Her Circumstances". Also very good, and the anime is faithful to the manga. Book 6 should be out by now too. Quality of the art has gone down, I think, though.

*Snoopy looks down at volume 15*
.... The art's great... granted, maybe 5 years ago when volume 5 was released it wasn't up to this standard... but they based the anime on the art of volumes 7 and 8, and all of the little sketchy looking pictures in the end of the anime are actual manga pages, and they look wonderful...

Also, from what I hear (I don't buy very many English mangas, so I can't speak from personal experience), KareKano is done very poorly, both in editing and translating. Some people I've talked to have sworn off all TP releases after reading volume 1 of KareKano. And these are people who generally read just about anything, so it hit me kinda hard. Anyway, this is my favorite shoujo manga of all time. I love it more than is natural for a man to love a manga written for 16 year old girls.

Sana 2003-11-17 22:09

I love Kodomo no Omocha, which Tokyopop also translated. I didn't expect to like it much, but it's now one of my favorites.

Others from tokyopop that I like are, as mentioned by others, Love Hina and Marmalade Boy. And Gravitation of course!!!

They didn't exactly have to translate Shutterbox, but it's really good anyways.

I'm really excited that they picked up Pitaten and Fruits Bakset as well!

LynnieS 2003-11-17 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy
*Snoopy looks down at volume 15*
.... The art's great... granted, maybe 5 years ago when volume 5 was released it wasn't up to this standard... but they based the anime on the art of volumes 7 and 8, and all of the little sketchy looking pictures in the end of the anime are actual manga pages, and they look wonderful...

Also, from what I hear (I don't buy very many English mangas, so I can't speak from personal experience), KareKano is done very poorly, both in editing and translating. Some people I've talked to have sworn off all TP releases after reading volume 1 of KareKano. And these are people who generally read just about anything, so it hit me kinda hard. Anyway, this is my favorite shoujo manga of all time. I love it more than is natural for a man to love a manga written for 16 year old girls.

I wouldn't know - at least, not yet. :) I'm slowly adding to my Japanese manga collection now, but my English one comes first since it's much easier to read.

Book 15? Hasn't #16 been out for awhile now, though? I thought that I had seen it on the shelves for the past few months...

moose_and_squirrel 2003-11-17 23:55

the last tokyopop manga i bought was initial d vol. 2... after that i boycotted them...

AnimeFangirl 2003-11-18 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsuki_desu
Love hina is good but it gets annoying. I've read up to the 4th book.

Oh tsuki, tsuki, FINALLY! FINALLY! Someone who agrees with me!!! It's not that Love Hina sucks, it's just that it got real old REAL fast. I, too, managed to make it to vol 4 before I gave up in boredom and something bordering on nausea. Oh, I thought I was all alone in the world! *weeps tears of relief*