AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sengoku Rance/Rance 7 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60306)

EternalNite 2008-01-03 14:36

Sengoku Rance/Rance 7

Any Sengoku Rance fans here? I recently got suck into the game n addicted to it cant stop playing man. Anyone wanna discuss??

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-03 18:24

Whoooooooooo ROCK ON! Yeah, a topic for Rance. I just finished Kichiku-Oh Rance the other day and am about to start Rance 5D. I've played a bit of Sengoku Rance as well and it's pretty intricate. You have to manage character events, turn actions, troop levels, items, territory and such all at the same time. Plus later on you get the option to call in the regulars like Maria, Shizuka, Rick, Magic, Rizna and possibly a few others.

I also like how the game has absolutely no regard for the Japanese History it portrays. Uesegi Kenshin is a woman that pops up out of nowhere on occasion, Nobunaga is a political dunce and has his little sister do all the work for him (she even fights as a samurai) and Tokugawa Ieyasu is a racoon.

The game is also pretty damn funny with all it's in jokes and such. Half the territory names are actually puns or jokes on real life places.

Here are a couple music samples from the game too:

Very rarely do you get an eroge that has music in it that sounds like it belongs in a Super Robot Wars game. Pretty much the entire track set of the Rance series has been this awesome psycho hair metal guitar music ever since Rance 5D brought it into the modern XP setting.

Garet Jax 2008-01-03 21:03

Don't know the games, but that's some mad Stepmania in the second vid. :twitch: (Sorry to go OT.) I don't think I'm capable of even visually recognizing something that fast. I feel inferior now.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-03 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garet Jax (Post 1326291)
Don't know the games, but that's some mad Stepmania in the second vid. :twitch: (Sorry to go OT.) I don't think I'm capable of even visually recognizing something that fast. I feel inferior now.

It's the Final Boss Theme, which is also used for a couple optional fights like Orochi. Back when people would always post links to Drumania or DDR vids for Hare Hare Yukai claiming the song featured intense percussion portions I used to like posting a link to this.

Here's one more called Ontology which has been in the series for as long as I can remember. It's generally used as the Demon Theme:

A little later on I'll try to introduce some of the series characters and hopefully get some people interested. It's one of the longest running eroge series out there (Rance 1 was released in 1989). The best games to try are Kichiku-Oh Rance, Rance 5D, Rance VI The Fall of Zeth, and Sengoku Rance.

selkirk 2008-01-03 22:04

Regarding the music, here's a site with some great arrangements of some of the Sengoku Rance tracks. http://www.human-bbq.com/

Garet Jax 2008-01-03 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1326316)
It's the Final Boss Theme, which is also used for a couple optional fights like Orochi. Back when people would always post links to Drumania or DDR vids for Hare Hare Yukai claiming the song featured intense percussion portions I used to like posting a link to this.

Here's one more called Ontology which has been in the series for as long as I can remember. It's generally used as the Demon Theme:

I see. Great songs, especially the first one. And thanks selkirk so I can get a version of it. :cool:

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-04 02:31

Here's A Bit Of History On Some Of The Characters:

Spoiler for Rance Claire:

Spoiler for Sill Plain:

Spoiler for Rick Addison:

Spoiler for Maria Custard:

Spoiler for Masou Shizuka:

Update:

Spoiler for Patton Misnorj:

Spoiler for Lia Parapara Leazus:

Spoiler for Kanami Kentarou:

Hemisphere 2008-01-04 02:47

You guys are really making me want to play Sengoku Rance ASAP. >w<

EternalNite 2008-01-04 02:55

HOHOHO! Finally some ppl who noes Sengoku Rance.I find it the most action-packed H-game ever.How often do u play a H-game like this.Most H-game is abt romance,love and tons of Sex.But this is different tts wad i like abt this game.Sure reminds me of some Romance of the three kingdom Strategy-RPG game.I saw on a Youtube vid. tt is the most popular H-game in 2006.Rock on Sengoku Rance/Alicesoft!

However i m not a veteran n needs help x_x".

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-04 03:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalNite (Post 1326582)
HOHOHO! Finally some ppl who noes Sengoku Rance.I find it the most action-packed H-game ever.How often do u play a H-game like this.Most H-game is abt romance,love and tons of Sex.But this is different tts wad i like abt this game.Sure reminds me of some Romance of the three kingdom Strategy-RPG game.I saw on a Youtube vid. tt is the most popular H-game in 2006.Rock on Sengoku Rance/Alicesoft!

However i m not a veteran n needs help x_x".

Yeah, inside Japan the Rance Series and Alicesoft in general are legendary, but outside of Japan people only seem aware of Key/Visual Arts and maybe Type Moon. It's a shame that Alicesoft puts so much effort into there games in the visual, musical, gameplay (god forbid they actually try to have gameplay and to mix it up each game at that) and comedy will never see any really popularity outside of Japan and perhaps a limited offering in Hong Kong. Oh well, Japan will keep them and the Rance series going another 20 years hopefully so that's good enough for me.

if you need help by the way Alicesoft Wiki has a pretty extensive documentation of the game and it's updated quite frequently with new information.

Hemisphere 2008-01-04 03:38

If eroges became popular outside of Japan, conservatives would have a field day demonstrating against such games because of their "content", for one thing. Having eroges stay in Japan is good enough for me.

Going slightly off topic, has anyone here played Daibanchou? It's also another AliceSoft title.

Newprimus 2008-01-04 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erhjegel (Post 1326578)
You guys are really making me want to play Sengoku Rance ASAP. >w<

Beware. It has no voice and I hear they use oldish Japanese in there which isn't comfortable with Atlas most likely. Good luck though.

selkirk 2008-01-04 06:15

One absolutely essential program for playing Sengoku Rance: AlquadeLite
I doubt I would ever have managed to play through this so many times without speeding up the game 8x. :p

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-04 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinova (Post 1326663)
Beware. It has no voice and I hear they use oldish Japanese in there which isn't comfortable with Atlas most likely. Good luck though.

Alicesoft are kind of like the Squaresoft of Eroge and like to use Systems (in fact there engine is called the System 4.0 and runs off of it's own unique engine that seperates the threads of code from being woven into any other process since it uses a really weird IRQ. Or something like that). For this reason AGTH could not hook the text for the longest time, but a patch was eventually released to alter the System 4.0 engine (it's actually it's own file. Every modern Alicesoft game installs an axe file as System 4.0) and brings it in line with the normal text threads that AGTH would try to hook. In fact the latest AGTH now has it's own Alicesoft function that it defaults to when it recognizes the System 4.0, so text hooks properly and transfers to ATLAS. The only other problem is that Alicesoft also tends to do this thing where even though text appears to be a part of the same window and thread in the game, it is actually part of another one, forcing you to switch between threads in AGTH to copy and paste and build your own version of the actual display. To date though I have only seen this happen with two of their games, Kichiku-Oh Rance (During the display of CG's, which merely forces you to switch threads since there is no other text, and Dai Bancho (Pain in the ass since it actually includes two threads that should reasonably be seperated as one [Character Name and Dialogue] and Atlas translates it in such a way that it appears smack in the middle of a sentence).

As long as you know what to look for though, these problems are pretty minor. Though Rance having no voice is something of a tradition like Legend of Zelda. If people must know, in the OVA he was voiced by Kazuki Yao (Judau Ashta from Gundam ZZ, Shinobu Fujiwara from Dancougar, Mr. 2 Bon Clay Sama from One Piece) and Sill had kind of a high pitched whiny voice, so that's what they sound like. Only a couple games by Alicesoft like Pastel Chime and Galzoo Island feature voice and that's because most of the time they use the space actually filling the DVD up with Game content.

Hemisphere 2008-01-04 14:46

Pastel Chime Continue was quite fun, too, even if the gameplay wasn't dazzling. I like Rina Rindou. <3

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-04 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erhjegel (Post 1327191)
Pastel Chime Continue was quite fun, too, even if the gameplay wasn't dazzling. I like Rina Rindou. <3

Lucy Minshiato, Phil Ihato and Natsumi Cameron for me. Rina Rindou has enjoyed popularity outside the game. I'm amazed that Pastel Chime never managed to get an adaptation, but somewhat glad as it probably would have just ended up like Prism Ark.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-01-04 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erhjegel (Post 1327191)

Lucy Minshiato, Phil Ihato, 鈴木 ぼたん (the girl with the purple hair and cat ears that looks like a mage type but is actually a fighter) and Natsumi Cameron for me. Rina Rindou has enjoyed popularity outside the game. I'm amazed that Pastel Chime never managed to get an adaptation, but somewhat glad as it probably would have just ended up like Prism Ark. Pastel Chime Continue also contains something that no other eroge I know of contains. A Fat Female Character

w3g 2008-01-05 02:41

Oh wow @ video 0_0 1114 combo on Rebirth the Edge
I wanna try it too... but I might die of heart failure

Great song and great game. Spent more time playing this game than any other except MMO.

EternalNite 2008-01-05 09:13

I seriously wonder how long can i last with this game. U hav the 2nd games with the IF route and af u complete tt u av the "All Nation" mode n aft u can try 5 stars difficulty. I can play this 4 months and i also wanna really thank Alicesoft 4 making this great and unique H-game. Live and Rock on Alicesoft ^_^.

Hemisphere 2008-01-05 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by selkirk (Post 1326346)
Regarding the music, here's a site with some great arrangements of some of the Sengoku Rance tracks. http://www.human-bbq.com/

Off topic, but wow, these arrangements are awesome. They're just as good as CROW'sCLAW's!