AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Sword Art Online - Character Discussion - Kirito (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113156)

Kairin 2012-07-06 01:10

Sword Art Online - Character Discussion - Kirito

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kirito related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Sword Art Online fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Kirito 2012-07-07 12:01

Like the novels, I really liked how the anime kept his loner and direct to the point personality, just like in the first few chapters. The "feminine" facial expressions were still intact to an extent, I wonder if it'll change slightly in the next episode where I'm sure he's be grown at that time.

Chaos2Frozen 2012-07-08 05:26

The Number One Light Novel Male Character of 2012 has arrived :cool:

Anh_Minh 2012-07-08 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirito (Post 4242785)
Like the novels, I really liked how the anime kept his loner and direct to the point personality, just like in the first few chapters.

I don't know if we can call a loner a guy who can't do anything without adding to his harem. I mean, it's one thing to seduce women by interacting with them in a game, especially one like SAO, but he got
Spoiler for novel, vol 3:

Ray 2012-07-08 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 4244171)
The Number One Light Novel Male Character of 2012 has arrived :cool:

This guy knows what he's talking about. :cool:

Chaos2Frozen 2012-07-08 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4244318)
This guy knows what he's talking about. :cool:

Mah ~ it's not just an opinion; he really was voted to be number one :heh:

Ray 2012-07-08 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 4244394)
Mah ~ it's not just an opinion; he really was voted to be number one :heh:

Oh, that's right! I remember reading about that.

Then I guess we could say it's not opinion, but fact! :heh:

Flawfinder 2012-07-08 10:13

Don't really know him enough to get a good grip on him, but he's alright.

Kirito 2012-07-08 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anh_Minh (Post 4244316)
I don't know if we can call a loner a guy who can't do anything without adding to his harem. I mean, it's one thing to seduce women by interacting with them in a game, especially one like SAO, but he got
Spoiler for novel, vol 3:

I know that, I'm just talking about what he was like in the beginning of the series. Just staying in tune with what the first episode portrayed him as in the novels.

Kirito 2012-07-08 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flawnalyst (Post 4244478)
Don't really know him enough to get a good grip on him, but he's alright.

He's not alright...He's someone that's totally beyond awesome and spectacular!:)

He's a freaking boss that's what he is.

lansglenn 2012-07-08 23:07

Kirito is skilled, courageous, asocial (not anti-social), and a tiny bit reckless so far.

Edit: So I just kind of like him so far. No one truly awesome yet.

dmaxzero 2012-07-11 11:25

Its a very cool character, and he IS reckless and totally unreasonable at times... but he is never arrogant or imposing, he just do what he has to do.

sky black swordman 2012-07-11 18:39

He is also very good with words if you know what I mean.
He is also very a kind and sensitive person.

maelstormCaT 2012-07-11 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky black swordman (Post 4249885)
He is also very good with words if you know what I mean.
He is also very a kind and sensitive person.

He's good with words? try blunt like a hammer.

He's also pass off as arrogant, but that's just him being recklessly confident to the level of irritating the other guy. Saying "I can do this no problem" without any worries, and completely excelling at practice.

People that knows him tends to 'get used' to the bs he keeps doing while strangers are completely baffled.

Note that he does knows his limit. So whenever he says he can do it, he REALLY can do it.

Irisu 2012-07-12 18:19

He's an unconscious womanizer and a walking game breaker.

sky black swordman 2012-07-12 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komeirin (Post 4251223)

LOL thats for sure on both.

He also sometimes blinded by emotions. Thats all i will say about this because it would be spoiler if I said what I am trying tot say.

Ray 2012-07-12 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komeirin (Post 4251223)

Uhh, I guess that's one way of looking at him as a character..

novalysis 2012-07-13 05:17

He is like Negi Springfield in that manner of the unconscious charm he exerts towards woman. A very smooth talker indeed, and he is lucky he already has Asuna.

Deltaray 2012-07-13 09:27

Adds pretty amusing events in novels atleast

Spoiler for GGO spoiler:

Randomzx 2012-07-13 19:28

He's a blatant Gary Stu pandering to the wish fulfillment crowd. Seriously, he reminds me of that one NCIS episode with the girl being a champion in every MMO ever (yes the author's grasp on the nature of MMO and a player's capability and limitation is that bad).
Needless to say, naming any of his LN 'feats' count as spoiling.

Ray 2012-07-13 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomzx (Post 4252876)
He's a blatant Gary Stu pandering to the wish fulfillment crowd. Seriously, he reminds me of that one NCIS episode with the girl being a champion in every MMO ever (yes the author's grasp on the nature of MMO and a player's capability and limitation is that bad).
Needless to say, naming any of his LN 'feats' count as spoiling.

Ehm.. Gary Stu/Mary Sue is a term usually limited to fan fiction and original characters. :uhoh:

Wish fufillment? :heh: I guess not everybody can appreciate good romance and good writing. Ah well, haters gonna hate. *shrug*

novalysis 2012-07-13 20:05

When we get weak protagonists, he is condemned as a waste of space, oxygen and ink.

When we get competent protagonist, he is condemned as a Gary Stu.

kyp275 2012-07-13 20:10

To be fair, Kirito does step pretty close to the line, though I certainly don't think he's a flawless character, nor that there's anything wrong with a bit of OP-ness in the main protagonist in a story like SAO.

I mean, what do you want to read about? the main character kicking ass and taking names, or repeatedly running back to his corpse to pick up his gear 'cause he keeps getting pwnd?

Ray 2012-07-13 20:15

Pretty close..? Hm. No, not really. As someone who has been exposed to many Gary Stus and Mary Sues, yeah.. no. He's just a very strong character (or somewhat OP, if you like); look at that how you will.

I agree with nova, though; people will always find a reason to hate on a character if they look hard enough. But then again, the reverse of that is also true. Ah well.

kyp275 2012-07-13 20:46

Depends on what standard you use, if you're comparing him to the typical lolfanfic super OP characters or even some of the shounen leads, then yea. But if you put him next to more classical or non-anime characters, then he's probably gonna shoot off the charts.

IMO however, by the time someone starts doing critical analysis on a LN/Anime character, they've already missed the entire point of the show.

Ray 2012-07-13 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4252948)
Depends on what standard you use, if you're comparing him to the typical lolfanfic super OP characters or even some of the shounen leads, then yea. But if you put him next to more classical or non-anime characters, then he's gonna shoot off the charts.

IMO however, by the time someone starts doing critical analysis on a LN/Anime character, they've already missed the entire point of the show.

Well, considering the standard is usually those "typical lolfanfic super OP" (:heh:) characters, so yeah.

But haha, you're right.

Oh, what's this? Somebody that holds the same view as me with regard to critical analysis on LN/anime characters? That's rare.

novalysis 2012-07-13 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4252948)
Depends on what standard you use, if you're comparing him to the typical lolfanfic super OP characters or even some of the shounen leads, then yea. But if you put him next to more classical or non-anime characters, then he's probably gonna shoot off the charts.

I'll argue that had SAO been written in another country (and it could easily have been- Korea (and likely America) are more MMO Crazy than Japan), it would have been regarded as an interesting Sci-fi series, considered decent literature rather than a full out pulp fiction novel.

I'd consider Kirito a Sue if he was infallible .
Spoiler for To be safe:

So, is he competent? Yes. Perfect? Far from it of course. Talented? Yes, but you can argue that many, many other protagonists are talented in their own ways. Morally a Saint? No.

I don't think SAO can be seen in the same light as other LNs out there. It probably should and was meant to be put to a level of scrutiny closer to Fate Zero or Haruhi Suzumiya (later novels) then Hagani or Index. On the level of competency, I'd argue that if you see Kirito as a Sue, then so to is Emiya Kiritsugu.

Wild Goose 2012-07-13 21:52

I'd just like to point out that Mary Sue tests can get you false positives. For example, I once ran a character through a common Mary Sue litmus test. He was an American paratrooper in World War 2, greatly loved by his man, a real badass, led an attack on a fortified position that became a textbook example of What To Do Right that was taught at Westpoint for over seventy years. He was so liked by his men that the NCOs of his company threatened to resign if they went into combat with anyone else other than him in charge. He led an attack on an SS battalion and chased them off with a single rifle. He was so good he was promoted to Battalion Commander, and was greatly admired and respected by legions of soldiers and ordinary people around the world. He was so admired, his death was only announced AFTER the funeral, because there would have been no way there would have been enough space to accomodate those who paid their respects/

Verdict? Total sue. Said Mary Sue's name? Richard Winters.

There was another Sue I made. He was a Marine Sniper, won the Wimbeldon Cup, the most prestigious award in US military target shooting. In Vietnam, he formed the core of the first ever Scout Sniper platoon. He held the world record for longest sniper rifle kill, using an M2 machine gun. On his second tour in Nam, he single-handedly restored pride and standards to a demoralised scout sniper platoon. In a duel with an enemy sniper, he killed the man by firing a bullet right through the sniper's scope. Upon his return from Nam, he was one of the chief instructors at the newly-formed Scout Sniper School. He was friends with the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, the Commandant of the Marine Corps was a friend to him, and the Corps named a library after him. He had 300 unconfirmed kills, 93 confirmed, and was hailed as the greatest sniper in the Marine Corps, not just in kills, but in his legacy and the training he passed on. When he died, he was mourned throughout the United States Marine Corps.

Verdict? Again, total sue. His name was Carlos Hathcock.

What people forget is that Sues are hated because they displace the pratagonist, in fanfiction, in someone else's verse. But this is SAO, and Kirito is the viewpoint character. Him being competent is not Sue-like.

And again, two Real Men. Badasses. Actually existed. And the test rates them as being Sues. Heh. Wonder why nobody's accused Major Kusanagi of being a Sue.

Randomzx 2012-07-14 00:49

As from one poster:

My only real problem is that Kirito isn't just a Gary Stu, he's a Gary Stu that wins and exceeds by such a ridiculous margin that it doesn't even make sense in universe.

Spoiler:

kyp275 2012-07-14 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4253027)
And again, two Real Men. Badasses. Actually existed. And the test rates them as being Sues. Heh. Wonder why nobody's accused Major Kusanagi of being a Sue.

Because she'd shoot them full of holes, snap their necks, and then toss of them off the nearest skycraper :D

also, o7 to Gunny Hathcock and Maj. Winters, and all the rest tbh, there were countless badasses in WW2 :cool:

kyp275 2012-07-14 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomzx (Post 4253245)
My only real problem is that Kirito isn't just a Gary Stu, he's a Gary Stu that wins and exceeds by such a ridiculous margin that it doesn't even make sense in universe.

eh, not really.

Spoiler:

Quote:

If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was a parody from reading the summaries.

The only thing that's being parodied here is your lack of reading comprehension.

Randomzx 2012-07-14 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4253267)
The only thing that's being parodied here is your lack of reading comprehension.

More like you missed this

Quote:

As from one poster:
Pretty much all of your 'points' are nothing more justifying edits failing to understand why they make a Gary Stu. The misconception of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue is not someone who is perfect. But someone whose role and abilities have such cancerous focus/grip on the story that it harms it to a huge degree. not to mention the author contradicts himself multiple times in trying to justify many of Kirito's abilities and actions

Seriously, look up the definition of Mary Sue on multiple sources.

That said, on one point,
Spoiler:

Craxuan 2012-07-14 02:47

He is the main protagonist, you know. It's inevitable that he would read like a Gary Stu or whatever the hell that is because this is a LIGHT novel. There are so many other stories out there of the similar genre that couldn't even lick the boots of SAO, and Kirito is one of the better constructed characters I've seen for quite a while.

There will always be a number one in something, and Kirito happens to be that in SAO. In GGO his unorthodox style of play and immense experience gave him an advantage over the other players, but given enough time anyone could've come up with a comprehensive way to beat him.

It is not even uncommon that you can complete supposedly team quests solo; people have done much crazier things in MMO.

The harem thing is just Japan. The protagonists always have legions of women fawning over them.

Spoiler:

His role had definitely not harmed the story, that I can tell you. He is definitely not perfect, and honestly has not played a real HERO character until the coming of Alicization. And that arc looks to be very dark.

novalysis 2012-07-14 05:52

Spoiler for For end of Aincrad Arc& Alicization:

I'd also argue that Kirito would sympathize with Emiya Kiritsugu's philosophy. He's surely not your Shounen hero of justice. Far from it. A Shounen hero of justice would have agreed to stay with Klein. Mind you, had he joined Klein's guild,the odds are high that
Spoiler for Red Nose Reindeer Spoiler:
survived to the end of the game, ironically. Indeed, had he joined Klein's guild, I suspect he might have been able to stop the BEATER concept at it's inception.

Kirito is not a Sue. He's merely a highly talented young man with potential Anti-hero tendencies curbed by the unique circumstances and harsh life lessons Aincrad and what happened after taught him. One of the big themes of SAO is the coming of age story of a genius coming of age on the eve of a technological singularity.

Wild Goose 2012-07-14 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4253248)
Because she'd shoot them full of holes, snap their necks, and then toss of them off the nearest skycraper :D

there's that. :p Or just hack them into submission.

Quote:

also, o7 to Gunny Hathcock and Maj. Winters, and all the rest tbh, there were countless badasses in WW2 :cool:
Oh, there were, it's just that those two have the most current recognition atm. Audie Murphy, most decorated US soldier ever, would be another case, and of course we cannot forget Marshall Zhukov, who had a coat LOADED with medals that he earned by being so badass. Particularly in a BT-2.

Regards being a sue, Kirito is the main character, therefore by default the title of Mary Sue/Gary Stu cannot apply, as that term refers to an author created character in a work of fan fiction.

Now, to address some factual errors:

Spoiler:

Much of my delivery is lost in the cold medium of text. I may need to record this as an audio file; In my mind I am speaking in the style all propesctive barristers learn.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4253504)
Spoiler for For end of Aincrad Arc& Alicization:

I'd also argue that Kirito would sympathize with Emiya Kiritsugu's philosophy. He's surely not your Shounen hero of justice. Far from it. A Shounen hero of justice would have agreed to stay with Klein. Mind you, had he joined Klein's guild,the odds are high that
Spoiler for Red Nose Reindeer Spoiler:
survived to the end of the game, ironically. Indeed, had he joined Klein's guild, I suspect he might have been able to stop the BEATER concept at it's inception.

Kirito is not a Sue. He's merely a highly talented young man with potential Anti-hero tendencies curbed by the unique circumstances and harsh life lessons Aincrad and what happened after taught him. One of the big themes of SAO is the coming of age story of a genius born on the verge of a technological singularity.

Agreed. QFT. I have nothing more to say, other than this is an excellent summation of the character...

... Even if I still must insist that strictly,speaking, as a main character, in the verse he originates from, the Mary Sue label should not apply. :p :heh:

Ray 2012-07-14 06:23

Quote:

As from one poster:

Wait-- you're arguing by using someone else's opinion? :heh:

Quote:

Spoiler for Not really a spoiler, but just in case:

So you've only read the summaries, and not what's available of the light novels? Your argument is invalid then.

Swordstriker21 2012-07-14 06:40

Seeing that his arguments have been already deconstructed to a degree it becomes invalid it seems there's no point in chiming in fairly similar points. If he still doesn't understand then I will just simply consider him a troll and move on.

In closing let me just quote some particular lines from the novel said by the man himself:

Spoiler for Kirito's train of thought...:

P.S. Oh and please tell me if this violates the forum rules and I'll edit it out.

Ray 2012-07-14 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 (Post 4253552)
Seeing that his arguments have been already deconstructed to a degree it becomes invalid it seems there's no point in chiming in fairly similar points.

It wasn't his argument to begin with, though.

Xacual 2012-07-14 06:54

Randomzx is most likely a troll, he's just repeating what all the SAO trolls on /a/ have been saying the last week.

I can't consider Kirito a Gary Stu just because he's a competent MC.

novalysis 2012-07-14 07:02

This amuses me greatly. The first two pages of Kirito's character thread, a thorough rebuttal to why Kirito is not a Sue.