AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Danganronpa [PSP] - Game discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112574)

marvelB 2012-05-31 14:19

Danganronpa [PSP] - Game discussion

Seeing as the sequel is just around the corner (and the SA Let's Play thread just recently finished the third chapter of the first title), I figured that now would be a good time to make this thread.....

Anyway, this is a thread to discuss the "Super High School Level" mystery game that is Danganronpa! For those unfamiliar, this is a VN-type of game that involves a group of quirky students with specific talents who all get trapped in a school run by a demented robot bear named Monokuma (or Monobear, as he's better known as by us English-speakers at this point), who proclaims that the only way to escape from the Academy of Despair is to graduate..... through murder. Just about anyone familiar with this title will tell you that this game can be described as a fusion of Phoenix Wright and Battle Royale, (right down to each chapter containing a climactic courtroom battle, which has some fun gameplay mechanics!). Yes, with its colorful cast, kickass soundtrack, and a plot filled with thrills, chills, and spills...... well, this is definitely one wicked mystery title to watch out for.....

"But wait", you may ask. "Isn't this some niche Japan-only title? How can we discuss that here??" No worries there! See, thanks to a certain Let's Play thread on Something Awful, This franchise has gotten the exposure it deserves to the western audience. And it's a great thread, too: The OP goes out of his way to not only translate the whole plot, but even posts a bunch of pictures, provides the appropriate music that's played for each scene (and I really must stress that this is an excellent soundtrack, as well) and even posts videos for the trials and various other scenes. Heck, he even posts bonus stuff like developer interviews and concept art! orenronen, my good sir, I salute you. :bow:

However, a bit of a warning: I think this should go without saying, but it would most definitely be best to POST ANYTHING PLOT-RELATED UNDER SPOILER TAGS, ESPECIALLY IF IT PERTAINS TO THE SEQUEL. Mind you, I'm already familiar with how the game ends myself (played and beat it about a year before the LP thread appeared), but since my knowledge of the Nihongo was (and still is) minimal at best, I'm basically experiencing the plot properly for the first time through the LP thread, as well. So of course that means I'll also be strict on myself about spoilers. Now, with that being said.....

Let's get this thread started, you bastards! Upupupu~~~

UPDATE: As some of you may already be aware, the first game's LP was completed a while a go. So for anyone who finished it, you can now check out the in-progress translation for Super Danganronpa 2 as well as the prequel to the series, Zero!!

marvelB 2012-06-01 15:27

Geez, thread's a bit empty.... but in the meantime Chapter 4 has now begun!

I swear, Hagakure just becomes more and more awesome. :D

Von Himmel 2012-06-02 09:32

It's not like I don't want to play it..but because it's heavy-text game without translation, so.. :heh:

Anyway, is the OP in that thread is trying to translate the whole plot?

marvelB 2012-06-02 11:20

^Ah, but as I already noted in the first post, the whole game IS being translated as we speak! :) Just check out that thread I linked to. The entire game's plot has already been translated up to the beginning of the 4th chapter (along with some other additional content). Furthermore, some folks in that thread already considered making a patch for the game using that translation as the basis (which the OP has even agreed to assist with). So I assure you that the language barrier problem is already being taken care of. ;)

Von Himmel 2012-06-02 11:29

Yeah I'm reading it right now. I guess I can see why my friends who can speak japanese say it's an awesome game :heh:

And having the translation in thread/post format is a pretty cool idea too since during the intermission between translations we can see many people in that thread actively discussing on what's happening in the game.

Kleeyook 2012-06-03 12:43

Damn! I can't access the webpage for spoilers anymore. I don't know why. I was reading until the first trial chapter! What on earth is happening!
And now the database isn't available. I can already guess who the culprit is and how though. :(

Mars Mode 2012-06-03 18:10

I just cheched it out and is amazing. Every single character is amazing. I just finished reading the LP and it has surprised me every single time.

I just hope my favorite character doesnt die.

com_gwp 2012-06-03 19:27

Wow, I remember seeing this way back when and thought it was a damn shame something so interesting was never going to get localised. I really hope these people go through with the patch. :D

Von Himmel 2012-06-04 01:22

Which one do you think has the most gore scene from all the executions up until now? I think mine is between the 1st and 3rd... the 3rd one is pretty horrible because, well :heh:
Spoiler:

Kleeyook 2012-06-04 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Himmel (Post 4191521)
Which one do you think has the most gore scene from all the executions up until now? I think mine is between the 1st and 3rd... the 3rd one is pretty horrible because, well :heh:
Spoiler:

Spoiler for ch 3 trial:

I wonder who's next!

Von Himmel 2012-06-04 08:38

What I don't like about ch 3 is that because
Spoiler:

marvelB 2012-06-04 10:09

As far as the third trial goes:

Spoiler:

BTW, who's everyone's favorite characters? Surprisingly, I actually find myself liking main protagonist Naegi a lot more than I thought after reading this translation. I'm also fond of Mondo and Yamada (fun fact, OP fans: The two of them are voiced by Zoro and Usopp's VAs, respectively!). Monebear is also one heck of an awesome villain (who's even voiced by Doraemon's VA of all people.... I mean, wow!). As for female characters, I like Fukawa since.... well, I'll get into that later. I'mma just wait for the next update, now....

Kleeyook 2012-06-04 10:25

Spoiler for Favorite Girls:

Von Himmel 2012-06-04 11:12

Favorite character ? The mastermind of course :D oh and that monobear is pretty traumatizing ._. especially with that doraemon voice >_>;

Kleeyook 2012-06-04 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Himmel (Post 4192200)
Favorite character ? The mastermind of course :D oh and that monobear is pretty traumatizing ._. especially with that doraemon voice >_>;

Spoiler for The Mastermind:

Mars Mode 2012-06-04 16:55

Spoiler for Death:

My favorite is Kirigiri, and Celes, dont know why but her false smile and the way she lied I really liked her facade. The other one is Ishimaru and Togami. Although Hagakure and his tale are amazing.

marvelB 2012-06-05 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeyook (Post 4192140)
Spoiler for Favorite Girls:

Spoiler:

BTW, anyone checked out Ishimaru's social links at the latest update? They're freaking hilarious. :D

Von Himmel 2012-06-05 11:15

Quote:

My favorite is Kirigiri, and Celes, dont know why but her false smile and the way she lied I really liked her facade
My favorite pose of her is when she dropped the facade, which somehow looks pretty similar to a certain psycho gothic bitch in the newest SRW game :p

Quote:

BTW, anyone checked out Ishimaru's social links at the latest update? They're freaking hilarious.
Since I've just following that thread for a couple of days...how many days do you usually wait for each translations update?

marvelB 2012-06-05 13:12

^Updates usually come along about every 2-3 days, but note that sometimes they might come along sooner or even later depending on the size/content of said update (the latter is especially true when it comes to the court scenes). I can't really be sure how long it'll be before he even completes those social link events, though.....

marvelB 2012-06-08 14:50

Next story update is out!

Spoiler: