AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hungry Joker (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116100)

amasposu 2012-11-08 23:16

Hungry Joker

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/..._manga/002.jpg

This is Weekly Jump's newest series.

Name: Hungry Joker
Alternative Name: ハングリージョーカー
Author: Tabata Yuuki

Here is my synopsis:
Quote:

This series reminds me of D.Gray-man (Hopefully, it won't be as abstract as D.Gray-man).

Haiji is a genius scientist. He specializes in researching corpses that emit some kind of glowing light (?). Somehow or another, the corpse eventually transforms into a giant monster.

This is definitely an action manga. The art is really gorgeous. I can see a lot of potential from this series. I hope that it goes well.

P.S.: The character design for the heroine has completely changed since the one shot. :(

leokiko 2012-11-09 00:43

Previous heroine was definitely hotter but this one feels less cliche. Hope it gets scanlated soon, I see a lot of potential for this one and Jump needs another action shonen now that Reborn ended and Naruto is "close" to the end.

The story really changed from the one-shot.

First episode's resume:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeromcd (Post 3145846)
Spoiler:

Insane 2012-11-09 01:06

The protagonist's character design somehow kinda reminds me of Toshiro Hitsugaya from Bleach.

aohige 2012-11-09 01:27

Couple of things to note.

Drinking the juice bestows knowledge of gravity.
EATING the apple bestows power to control gravity.
The apple existed since the ancient times, possibly the apple of eden.

leokiko 2012-11-09 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 4431862)
Couple of things to note.

Drinking the juice bestows knowledge of gravity.
EATING the apple bestows power to control gravity.
The apple existed since the ancient times, possibly the apple of eden.

*assassin's creed flashback*

:eyespin:

Xion Valkyrie 2012-12-02 00:39

The one shot felt incredibly generic, so I like the new direction the serialization is taking. However the female lead is just too weak to be in a shonen manga. Based on the personality type alone she's going to be a damsel in distress in most of the arcs. There'd need to be some serious character development for her to avoid ending up in that kind of role, but I don't think that's possible when this is serialized in Shounen Jump.

aohige 2012-12-02 05:12

I don't wanna be a downer but to be honest....
It went from utterly generic to still pretty generic.

Improvement, maybe, but probably not enough.
Considering how much SPUNK the other two new series has, gaining instant following, HJ is gonna have to seriously pull.... something.
At this point it's the most forgettable new series of this survival race. :heh:

Sixth 2012-12-02 09:19

I have the feeling that this series will get canned.

RRW 2012-12-10 18:27

I like the premise (I think power from famous scientist/inventor is kinda cool). thought the execution can be improved.

so far all new three Jump manga have decent start based on ranking. So i think they have at least 1 Year life

Xion Valkyrie 2012-12-10 18:56

Yeah, I can't really see this going on for that much longer at it's current pace. I'm guessing there's going to be a major change coming that'll shake things up. I feel like the biggest mistake the mangaka made was making the main character's power too powerful right off the bat.

He should have started him off only being able to change the effect of gravity on small objects, then slowly unlocking more power as the the series goes on. Being able to levitate buildings right off the bat doesn't leave much room for improvement.

Iby 2013-03-22 00:10

April 04 is a date when the 1st Volume will be released.

aohige 2013-03-22 01:04

correction:

April 09 is when we all learn just how badly the first tankoubon sold, permanently sealing this manga's fate.

:p

Aesthetic Shampoo 2013-03-22 04:03

I won't be surprised if this is cancelled, the beginning was interesting but it sure fell into shounen redundancy awfully fast

Xion Valkyrie 2013-03-29 23:59

I didn't realize Chitose was so well endowed. Maybe the mangaka is upping the fan service factor in order to draw in viewers.

Iby 2013-03-31 06:13

She was like that since the first chapter and it was even emphasized at that time.
Still it would be quite an interesting turn if she will really get an ability for herself.

konart 2013-03-31 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iby (Post 4614119)
She was like that since the first chapter and it was even emphasized at that time.
Still it would be quite an interesting turn if she will really get an ability for herself.

You haven't read the latest chapter, have you?

Iby 2013-04-02 01:16

I thought that it won't be released so soon ^^;

Iby 2013-04-10 12:41

"Final stage" they say? Is that a sign that this manga is close to it's end?

ninryu 2013-04-10 12:50

Sounds interesting and it does looks similar to D. Gray-man. I'll give it a try.

Xion Valkyrie 2013-04-10 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iby (Post 4629989)
"Final stage" they say? Is that a sign that this manga is close to it's end?

The rankings haven't been too good, so it's possible.