AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Danganronpa (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Danganronpa - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121595)

Klashikari 2013-08-29 12:03

Danganronpa - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Danganronpa, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Solitaired 2013-08-29 13:09

I'll cry here first before watching the episode

MisaoFan 2013-08-29 13:12

Spoiler for Episode 9:

White Manju Bun 2013-08-29 13:17

O_O

Spoiler for Epi 9:

Marina2 2013-08-29 14:30

Look like Case 4 Class Trial get the Best adaptation award.

Solitaired 2013-08-29 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marina2 (Post 4811304)
Look like Case 4 Class Trial get the Best adaptation award.

Fully agreed. Though they can add in the part where Hagakure screams out that he's the culprit nonstop. His only brave and outstanding moment, pity...

Didn't expect them to cut out the full latter half of the investigation though. And I would prefer showing some more of the next chapter for a much better climax.

Klashikari 2013-08-29 16:49

I can't say I'm fine saying so, but they literally didn't try for the investigation, lasting 45 seconds top... I guess it doesn't even matter to them anymore, since they kept the OP twice a row for the trial eps.
But really, the directing is getting worse over the episodes, with even the soundtrack used in a very odd fashion (Discussion -HEAT UP- used right from the get go just doesn't work great as an intro BGM...).

But I think the adaptation was at its worst for the trial... although it wasn't too shabby for the feelings right there.
But suffice to say, the trial rolled in a -complete different fashion-.

Spoiler for Missing Parts:

Solitaired 2013-08-29 16:52

^ To me this is the best effort put in to display the emotions of the characters. Although they should emphasize a lot more of how Naegi and gang treat Alter Ego as one of their own, to make his loss feels sadder. Also, switching into the ED and going onto the next chapter immediately after his execution makes his death a little forgettable in my opinion

Klashikari 2013-08-29 18:09

I will admit they did a good job with Aoi's outburst (Saito's performance is once again tremendously powerful) along with Makoto's reactions to it. However, they really failed hard with AE's execution aftermath, making people rather apathetic towards it, especially Makoto who was supposed to be downright pissed off.

But frankly, I don't see the point of the investigations at all, if not only they skip some relevant clues, but also ignore the ones they presented in the anime. I mean, what was the point in showing the glass bottle and the magazine if they weren't used -at all-? Seriously, it begs the question why there is an investigation with obvious "CLUE GET!" if they aren't even used.

You know what's even funnier? The fact not only they kept with the door lock nonsense, but the lock in episode 9 is ABOVE the doorknob. However, in episode 8, it was BELOW the doorknob. Quality check isn't their forte at all, and while it is obvious with the general quality of the series, messing with their own extra detail by themselves is silly at best.

Solitaired 2013-08-30 03:49

Yes, I facepalmed when they still insists that the door is locked while showing that scene with the door. I would rather prefer they retcon it, showing us they admit to their mistakes (few of the Japanese community wrote to the production company about it). Making the door locked and not punishing Naegi either makes the new rule useless or showing that Monokuma did not adhere to his own rules. I am suspecting that this is ONCE again the same move they used as the toolkits to make the later plots more acceptable.

Marina2 2013-08-30 04:08

About the lock, you can just say that:

1. Monobear specially allows it because students have to break into the room for investigation.

2. Monobear only prohibits them from breaking the lock of a room/an area that he doesn't intend to let anyone go in. Therefore, in Sakura case, the room that Sakura is in was already unlocked by Monobear earier when the new floor open so breaking the lock made by Sakura is no problem here.

Klashikari 2013-08-30 06:24

1. That would have make sense if Monokuma made an announcement, which he didn't. The game also insist that Monokuma is really hardass on his rules, unless you find a loophole.

2. No, it doesn't work this way either, otherwise Monokuma would have specified his rules. Otherwise, he would have stated "no one can break a door -I- locked" and so forth.

Adding the lock was completely unecessary, period.
Because of that, and the fact they made Monokuma talk to them through the monitor all the frigging time aside of the trials and incentives, it makes Monokuma incredibly passive and lenient.

AC-Phoenix 2013-08-30 09:41

The door knob stuff is a bit tricky.
First off the lock shouldn't have been there. The game clearly states that the room has no lock.
It also defeats the purpose of the lock Oogami created.
As for the rule break you can explain it with the loophole this rule left:

Thee rule only prohibits you from destroying the door.

So you can get several loopholes out of it:

- It is not forbidden to bypass the lock
- It is not forbidden to damage the door as long as it is not destroyed
- The door's window is not counted as part of it and can thus get destroyed.

Either way the door was never really destroyed or broken down. In fact he damaged the window to be able to open the lock that should not have been there in the first place.
Admittingly pure speculation, though the only way to justify that lock :rolleyes:

Kirito 2013-08-30 13:05

This was a really emotionally well done episode with good amounts of twists and turns that come right at you at interesting ways. Monokuma inadvertently setting up Aoi to nearly kill herself along with the rest of her peers was a "expected" twist in itself due to the fact that she was in a state of grief and sorrow that allowed him to take advantage of her, and in a sense, the whole situation. It's to be expected how he possibly knew of Alter Ego's existence and the role he played, but is there more that he knew, but chose not to disclose it. Who knows, the guy's a troll, but he doesn't really give big info away as long as it suits his interests.

I was displeased with how Alter Ego's execution aftermath. I mean, I was literally crushed when it happened because he's been such a great help despite his short comings. I was expecting Makoto to be really affected by it because he was greatly concerned for his safety, and they promised to leave the academy together. Too bad it won't happen, but I wonder how his death will affect and push him into the direction he needs to go.

I wonder where Kirigiri went while Makoto went to check out the Data Processing Room? The fact that she showed up when Monokuma was question him, made me think "Why isn't he also asking Kyoko where she went?" Made me think, was Makoto used as a blindspot of sorts to check when or how he shows up at times when it's strangely convenient.

So there are a total of 16 students now - Mukuro Ikusaba. So all we know is that person is a "Super High School Level Despair", but I wonder if there are other ways to identify the mystery student that moniker that defines that persons talent or trait. It's safe to say now that assailant who showed up and attacked Makoto pretty much summed up my conclusions and doubts, but I wonder how his/her role will play in this Academy Coliseum.

ChampDream 2013-08-30 18:17

I really like this episode
It have a lot of emotion well show and was really interesting.
is sad how Oogami die to protect her friends and Aoi crying because of her best friend were really emotional.
Alter Ego execution came out of nowhere to me, but I guess it was Monokuma's way to tell them they don't have hope.
Now we know the name of the 16th student and his/her title seem fitting for the situation.

JShaggy 2013-08-30 19:10

Just finished watching the episode, and it was indeed an emotional one. You have to feel bad for Aoi on this one. Losing a friend in Sakura Oogami took a heavy toll on her heart to a point in which Aoi framed others and then wanting the entire class to get punished after reading Sakura's final will, which was switched with a fake one by Monokuma itself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarami (Post 4812456)
So there are a total of 16 students now - Mukuro Ikusaba. So all we know is that person is a "Super High School Level Despair", but I wonder if there are other ways to identify the mystery student that moniker that defines that persons talent or trait. It's safe to say now that assailant who showed up and attacked Makoto pretty much summed up my conclusions and doubts, but I wonder how his/her role will play in this Academy Coliseum.

It could mean that this Mukuro person is the real puppet master of this story and that Monokuma (whom for some reason reminds me of Jigsaw from the Saw movies) was nothing more than a "co-conspirator" to the overall plot. For whatever reason Mukuro would want everyone to live without hope is something we will likely find out before the series ends.

HandofFate 2013-08-30 22:58

dang, decent episode.
RIP Oogami. Thought that Aoi really was the killer for a sec.

The 'execution' of the laptop was kind of funny. At least it feels no pain...

Even though Togami has been an ass the whole time, for some reason with just a few lines he jumps to badass level. argh rubberband effect.

If Monobear did temper with everyone's bodies and memories, it makes it even more tragic since they really were all friends that knew eachother and ended up killing eachother.

~Yami~ 2013-08-30 23:15

lots of emotion and feels are used in this episode

Aoi's outburst is the best... and Byakuya's confused face also priceless
Sakura is also one of the best character who still maintain her composure even after witnessing so many death and murder
honestly, I still hope Celes will replace Hagakure's place right now. Hagakure did nothing during class trials.. only shouting and screaming.. not deserve to live.. :heh:

the only question left is...... how did Kirigiri know about 16th student's stuff?

Nvis 2013-08-31 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Yami~ (Post 4812977)
the only question left is...... how did Kirigiri know about 16th student's stuff?

I want to know is how she got into Naegi's room?

Sute443 2013-08-31 01:26

Okay, I admit that I was wrong about AE being the mastermind's pawn. Oy, that execution was a shocker. When Monokuma said there would be a special guest, I thought he was going to drag in Sakura's corpse and subject it to an "execution."

And I second the question of how Kirigiri got into Naegi's room.

~Yami~ 2013-08-31 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvis (Post 4813072)
I want to know is how she got into Naegi's room?

she stalked him.... hacked his door's lock :heh:

reason?? love interest :heh:
just kidding though

well, since Kirigiri always go somewhere and just pop out again from nowhere, I think her mysterious life should be revealed soon

Solitaired 2013-08-31 03:36

Obviously she received the Dokodemo Door from Doraemon duh. Super Kirigiri can go everywhere she wants.

AC-Phoenix 2013-08-31 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Yami~ (Post 4813131)
she stalked him.... hacked his door's lock :heh:

reason?? love interest :heh:
just kidding though

well, since Kirigiri always go somewhere and just pop out again from nowhere, I think her mysterious life should be revealed soon

Reminder:
Spoiler for Ishimaru's testimony about dorm locks:

About Naegi not wondering how she got into the room:
This is actually an anime only mistake.
Spoiler for EP 9 - cut content:

Dengar 2013-08-31 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klashikari (Post 4811407)
Spoiler for Missing Parts:

I pretty much agree with all that you've said here. However, there's also.

Spoiler for Something missing that happened in the game:
I would like to point out, however, that most of the cases in the game also had one or two unused pieces of evidence.

Anh_Minh 2013-08-31 08:07

Called it... But Sakura was really easy to hit and render unconscious, for a "Super Duper High School Fighter".

miroku2192 2013-08-31 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anh_Minh (Post 4813353)
Called it... But Sakura was really easy to hit and render unconscious, for a "Super Duper High School Fighter".

The back part of your head, I believe, is the weakest part of your body (hence the bowing nature of Japanese people). No amount of training can properly prepare you for a glass bottle struck on the back of your head. If it was anywhere else I'm sure she would've been fine.

Haiprbim 2013-08-31 09:19

Now this, laddies and gentlemen, was rushed hardcore.
Good episode, but extremely rushed overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miroku2192 (Post 4813381)
The back part of your head, I believe, is the weakest part of your body (hence the bowing nature of Japanese people).

I'm pretty sure us males have a much more weaker part of the body, but to keep it appropriate, I won't directly discuss what it is. ;)

frodonk 2013-08-31 11:12

I remember somebody saying something about not revealing clues that were not shown in the episode yet, turns out it is irrelevant, since the anime only wants to shown evidence after it makes a character state a possible reason for it, and almost always during the classroom trial itself.

just because of that, by not showing the viewer the big picture, this fails as a detective series. I mean it is fun to follow the characters around as they try to find evidence on whodunnit, but if they suddenly pull out evidence out of their backside, like how togami only revealed that bottle when he was about to present his theory, or when kirigiri showed the shard from inside the bottle, then the viewer would naturally think "What the? where did that come from?"

never mind that they didn't show that part about the candy wrapper and the magazine or that they weighed the shards scene from the game, I'm sure they were not brought up because they couldn't find a way (or maybe the time) to insert it during the classroom trial.

but all of that is irrelevant now, I think there won't be any more deaths from here on, and the confrontation with the mastermind/16th student is about to begin.

I'm interested in what was said about their bodies being modified, and how the 16th student is the super duper HS despair, what does that even mean?

ookamigirl 2013-08-31 11:51

So it's the trial for Ohgami's murder.
Lots of discussions and false assumptions.
Never would have guessed who the culprit was.
Then again, I never managed to guess a single one so far.
Some people just can't deal with grief normally..

Kirito 2013-08-31 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by JShaggy (Post 4812744)
It could mean that this Mukuro person is the real puppet master of this story and that Monokuma (whom for some reason reminds me of Jigsaw from the Saw movies) was nothing more than a "co-conspirator" to the overall plot. For whatever reason Mukuro would want everyone to live without hope is something we will likely find out before the series ends.

Good point, but there are many possibilities of who Mukuro could be, but she seems more of an accomplice rather than a Puppetmaster. I mean, granted in the Saw films there was Jigsaw, an accomplice, and an apprentice of sorts to carry on his work, but if that were the case why would the Puppetmaster need to an make an appearance to dirty his own hands. He may have dumped the gasoline, but it was those were killed and got executed as a result who lit the match. Mukuro could be the Puppetmaster, but it sounds a little too predictable considering that we found we've not heard a seen (attacker in the mask) this character, and doesn't really sound that convincing. I mean isn't the best way of going about it is to go with "The villain is someone whom we least expect it to be?". I wonder if they'll keep that formula, who knows, but I wonder what action Mukuro is going to take next now that we know that she's the hidden student we couldn't identify until now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandofFate (Post 4812970)
dang, decent episode.
RIP Oogami. Thought that Aoi really was the killer for a sec.

The 'execution' of the laptop was kind of funny. At least it feels no pain...

That's really sad considering that Aoi nearly almost did if Makoko and Kirigiri didn't kept their focus and doubts in check. Monokuma took advantage of her emotional weakness to nearly murder all the others...yeah, what a troll. He must be pissed off that he can't have a proper execution since there was no proper villain due to Oogami's suicide.

I was crushed was Alter Ego got smashed. I really liked the little guy!:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Yami~ (Post 4812977)

She most likely snuck into someplace similar to that hidden passage in that second floor bathroom. It'll most likely that she had what little time to know about this Mukuro character when she asked Makoto to go to the Data Processing Room, only to show up moments later to warm him about the hidden student.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodonk (Post 4813508)
I'm interested in what was said about their bodies being modified, and how the 16th student is the super duper HS despair, what does that even mean?

Memory loss could be a factor because of those random pictures we've seem of the others (dead and alive) playing together etc. HS Despair, it could have to do with that Mankind's Malefaction thing that Alter Ego mentioned a couple of episodes ago. Since it hasn't been explored yet, it must hold some importance to the why the others are locked up and what the Puppetmaster and Mukuro's objectives are.

Solitaired 2013-08-31 12:38

If it is any help, Ikusaba Mukuro in Japanese is 戦刃 むくろ

Kanon 2013-08-31 12:49

Sakura was the best girl. She never lost hope and sacrificed herself for her friends' sake. RIP.

Solitaired 2013-08-31 14:00

But I have to admit its a unfair to the anime viewers, which also is the largest flaw of the game.

It is impossible for any anime viewer or gamer to deduce the mole (lol @ tea) because the mole did not do a single thing at all. No suspicious actions at all. And the 16th student Ikusaba Mukuro is a brand new character, though whether he/she has any connections to the Puppetmaster is up in the air.

AC-Phoenix 2013-08-31 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodonk (Post 4813508)
I remember somebody saying something about not revealing clues that were not shown in the episode yet, turns out it is irrelevant, since the anime only wants to shown evidence after it makes a character state a possible reason for it, and almost always during the classroom trial itself.

just because of that, by not showing the viewer the big picture, this fails as a detective series. I mean it is fun to follow the characters around as they try to find evidence on whodunnit, but if they suddenly pull out evidence out of their backside, like how togami only revealed that bottle when he was about to present his theory, or when kirigiri showed the shard from inside the bottle, then the viewer would naturally think "What the? where did that come from?"

never mind that they didn't show that part about the candy wrapper and the magazine or that they weighed the shards scene from the game, I'm sure they were not brought up because they couldn't find a way (or maybe the time) to insert it during the classroom trial.

but all of that is irrelevant now, I think there won't be any more deaths from here on, and the confrontation with the mastermind/16th student is about to begin.

Togami did the same thing with the bottle in the game.
You also only get Sakura's part of the testimony regarding who took the knife during the trial.

Its actually reasonable for a detective series to get new clues after someone has already formed a valid theory. Take "Still Life murder", for example where
Spoiler for Spoiler for Still Life murder- Mystery novel:

As to why the anime seems to do this a lot more often than the game I can only guess that its done to make stuff a bit harder.
The game pretty much floods you with evidence and only case 2s culprit as well as parts of case 6 are a bit harder.

@ Super duper highschool despair:
I think i can say that much without spoilering anything:

Its simple their title.
Naegi for example is the super highschool level luckster
Togami the Super highschool level Scion and so on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitaired (Post 4813699)
though whether he/she has any connections to the Puppetmaster is up in the air.

Actually, you can deduce whether they have anything to do with each other from stuff Monokuma said throughout the series. But yes the mole was a red hering, supposed to distract people from other stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anh_Minh (Post 4813353)

She was not unconcious, she simply didn't fight back because she didn't want to. After that Asahina discovered her, and got sent away again to get her some protein coffee.
While Asahina got the protein (Which Oogami claims helps healing wounds in no time early in the game), Ogami drank the poison.

White Manju Bun 2013-08-31 18:26

Anyone else find it interesting that on the vote thingy, PsychoBear is one of the choices?

Dengar 2013-08-31 18:47

Monokuma is the ultimate troll, of course his face appears on the reel. Due to his status as a troll, it's hard to say whether this is significant or not.

Triple_R 2013-08-31 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sute443 (Post 4813080)

And I second the question of how Kirigiri got into Naegi's room.

Kirigiri is to Naegi what Homura is to Madoka. In other words, she'll find a way. She'll always find a way. :heh: :p :D

Anyway, Klash is probably right that this adaptation lacks a bit in brains. But it makes up for it with some incredibly visceral emotionality. These seiyu must be having the time of their lives in these roles (other than Kirigiri's seiyu, perhaps, as she's the one who has to act cool, calm, and collected all the time).

Dengar 2013-08-31 19:06

The game does explain how Kirigiri got in. It's sad to see the anime skip over such minor, yet crucial parts.

JShaggy 2013-08-31 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_R (Post 4813950)
Kirigiri is to Naegi what Homura is to Madoka. In other words, she'll find a way. She'll always find a way. :heh: :p :D

With that kind of comparison, you have to wonder if Kirigiri did anything else while she was in Naegi's room.

Dengar 2013-08-31 20:34

Well, if you are really desperate to know how she got in I'll just refer to this post made not long ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix (Post 4813258)
About Naegi not wondering how she got into the room:
This is actually an anime only mistake.
Spoiler for EP 9 - cut content: