AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gurren-Lagann (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   The dubbing of Gurren-Lagann (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=60475)

xris 2008-01-07 03:56

The dubbing of Gurren-Lagann

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Gurren-Lagann.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.

CrowKenobi 2008-01-07 03:57

Since the dub cast has been announced, I believe it's time for "The Dubbing of Gurren-Lagann" thread. :D

And I'll even start it out!
  • Brett Weaver as Kamina
  • Josh Grelle as Simon
  • Luci Christian as Nia Teppelin
  • Tiffany Grant as Yoko Ritona
  • Monica Rial as Boota, Kiyoh
  • Jason Douglas as Kittan
  • Brittney Karbowski as Kinon
  • Kira Vincent-Davis as Kiyal
  • Chris Patton as Rossiu
  • Greg Ayres as Gimmy
  • Hilary Haag as Darry
  • John Gremillion as Dayakka Ritona
  • Mark X. Laskowski as Leeron
  • Vic Mignogna as Viral

:cool:

Tokkan 2008-01-07 04:06

I approve of Vic as Viral.

taufiq1991 2008-02-04 15:31

of all those english voice overs, i only know vic mignogna, lols
man i hope they dont kill the most epic anime

Spectacular_Insanity 2008-02-04 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by taufiq1991 (Post 1380501)
of all those english voice overs, i only know vic mignogna, lols
man i hope they dont kill the most epic anime

Well, look at it this way. If you don't like the english version, just watch it in japanese like we've always done. Pretty simple.

Arturia 2008-02-04 20:33

I'm pretty satisfied with who they chose. I don't really have any complaints off the top of my head. I'm actually quite pleased with the choices made for Yoko and Viral.

ApostleOfGod 2008-02-04 20:37

Did ADV films not drop this project temporarily while they were solving a few *minor* issues?

Generalgm 2008-02-04 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod (Post 1380987)
Did ADV films not drop this project temporarily while they were solving a few *minor* issues?

I think that doesn't stop the 1st DVD release, but the releases after that. They haven't canceled my preorder yet. So thats what I'm assuming

CSakuraS 2008-02-04 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod (Post 1380987)

Nah, it was just speculation. Official word is they're dealing with some small problems but still fully intend to continue their releases.

Generalgm 2008-02-04 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSakuraS (Post 1381073)
Nah, it was just speculation. Official word is they're dealing with some small problems but still fully intend to continue their releases.

srsly? Awesome. Gurren Lagann SPINS ON!

solomon 2008-03-29 02:48

Has anyone actually seen the dub? While I can enjoy dubs (Hellsing, Bebop and FMA are favs), this one will be tricky. You can yell yer lungs off, but it'll be hard to be believable like the japanese verision is (they have a history of making great acting essentialy by making over the top declatory statements at the top of their lungs:D)

Vexx 2008-03-30 02:30

There is no R1 release yet, so consumers haven't seen any dub. All orders for Gurren Lagann are back-ordered and have been since 26Feb08.

No word or news from ADV as usual :mad::frustrated::eyebrow:

The same goes for Kanon volume 3 (back-ordered since street date or March 4). And volume 2 is back-ordered again.
Interestingly, DVDpacific is taking orders for volume 4 of Kanon with a street date of 13May08.

Needless to say, the silence does wonders for ADV's credibility ...

Kagedanji 2008-03-30 12:42

I'm wondering how Vic is going to put on a manly enough voice for Viraru. I've only heard him do young idiot hero voices.

CJL13 2008-03-30 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kagedanji (Post 1498380)
I'm wondering how Vic is going to put on a manly enough voice for Viraru. I've only heard him do young idiot hero voices.

He was a good Broly in DBZ and that kinda suits Viral, but he said doing the Broly voice hurts his vocal chords.

Royal_Devil 2008-03-31 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJL13 (Post 1499029)
He was a good Broly in DBZ and that kinda suits Viral, but he said doing the Broly voice hurts his vocal chords.

His Ikkaku voice sounds good enough if you ask me.

Shadow_Scythe 2008-04-01 04:11

Well isn't ikkaku's seiyuu the same guy who does Viral, so its only fitting that they did the same with Vic, and seeing as he did a good voice for ikkaku I'm sure he can do Viral just as well

Shadow_Scythe 2008-04-01 04:44

whoops sorry double post

White Manju Bun 2008-07-28 22:10

...just watched the first 5 mins of teh dub...Kamina sounds...not good. Too...light imho.

ChibiToon 2008-07-28 22:30

OK.... just got done watching the first episode of the Bandai dub....

Pros:
- The english voices sound better to me now... I guess I just had to get used to them.

....That's it.

Cons:
- SciFi's #$%&#($% 50 million commercial breaks!!! >.<
- Simon's name is said so many times you could have a drinking game. XD
- Yoko's Ritona is now Litner.
- A few scenes edited out.
- La-Gahn?
- Is it just me... or did SciFi speed up the Opening Credits?

GAH! It's mostly the SciFi channel that is bugging me!!! >.<

CT

KickHopper 2008-07-28 22:42

Hahaha Leeron's VA! Awesome! His voice is how I imagined it if this ever got dubbed.