AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam Models Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23320)

HurricaneHige 2013-11-13 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 (Post 4907274)
Be aware that the GN Sword is pretty heavy and can be a pain to stay in the hand of Exia. The connection to the forarm isn't very solid. I used to have it on display only with the beam sabers, but I'm keeping it in the box now because the legs have started to sag down a little. The connection of the hips to the lower torso isn't the strongest on mine

That's unfortunate.

I read that MG Raiser also suffers a bit from the leg problem as well.

That kinda sucks.

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-13 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4907285)
That's unfortunate.

I read that MG Raiser also suffers a bit from the leg problem as well.

That kinda sucks.

My 00 Raiser doesn't, but my 00 Seven Swords does :/ Though I had it only standing for a while, fully loaded. I guess that all the weight of its weapons caused that.

Appel 2013-11-13 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4907086)
I have heard the company Daban makes high quality products, but in the end they are bootlegs of Bandai kits. Supporting bootlegs is like pirating goods but you actually pay these companies for their pirating goods.

I honestly don't give a crap about that. I want the PG Strike Freedom but I don't have 300 bucks lying around.
I am a consumer, there is a company that sells what I want for a reduced price so I'm gonna buy it. Not to mention that DABAN actually improved the kit by including metal pieces that usually often break on the original Bandai kit! And I still only have to pay half of what the original costs? Don't mind if I do!
Buying these kits isn't illegal and it's not like I'm not supporting Bandai. There are just a few kits that are too low on my list to spend the extra cash on them so I just get the kock offs instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobi2013 (Post 4907104)
Dude, don't force him to start off with the MG especially if he's a beginner. I still recommend HG kits for beginners then later move on to MG if he wants to.

My very first kit was actually the MG Strike Freedom FBM and everything went fine.
If you prepare for it (buying supplies like good nippers and a hobby knife) and if you follow the manual closely I really don't see a problem with starting with a MG kit.

HurricaneHige 2013-11-13 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 4907370)
I honestly don't give a crap about that. I want the PG Strike Freedom but I don't have 300 bucks lying around.
I am a consumer, there is a company that sells what I want for a reduced price so I'm gonna buy it. Not to mention that DABAN actually improved the kit by including metal pieces that usually often break on the original Bandai kit! And I still only have to pay half of what the original costs? Don't mind if I do!
Buying these kits isn't illegal and it's not like I'm not supporting Bandai. There are just a few kits that are too low on my list to spend the extra cash on them so I just get the kock offs instead.



My very first kit was actually the MG Strike Freedom FBM and everything went fine.
If you prepare for it (buying supplies like good nippers and a hobby knife) and if you follow the manual closely I really don't see a problem with starting with a MG kit.

You've done at least some research to know to buy a good nipper and hobby knife. My first HG, I twisted the parts out, and manged not to break any pieces. Given, I was only like eight back then.

Thing is, for an uninitiated beginner, a HG kit is the best way to start, and you'll come to appreciate all the tools you will get as you move up the chain.

suiton629 2013-11-13 17:21

I think it's best to start for an extreme beginner to go with SDs first.
They're the cheapest, easiest to build, and you you could practice painting/coloring, nipping techniques to cut parts off of trees, etc.

Knight_SV 2013-11-13 18:14

finally get my mg proto zeroand hg double x in gundam base korea. i will try to customize wing zero ew by using proto zero frame

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-11-13 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4907258)
I was going to get Exia but I read up on the poor leg strength of the unit. Tbh, I don't really plan on having it stand as Exia looks far cooler doing hovering and flying poses, so are the joints strong enough to hold those poses? Or will they droop after awhile? Anyone with the kit knows?

I don't know about the starndard MG Exia or Ignition mode, but my Trans-am Exia was solid. It can even stay in this pose...
Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread) ...without anything drooping.

suiton629 2013-11-13 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight_SV (Post 4907437)
finally get my mg proto zeroand hg double x in gundam base korea. i will try to customize wing zero ew by using proto zero frame

I think people really want a Wing EW and Wing Zero EW (angel wings) to be re-released using the newer frame and design to match the other Wing EW kits.

Maybe we'll see them soon around 2014 while Bandai is eventually going to push the releases for the movie Wing suits in MG.

Appel 2013-11-13 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4907380)
Thing is, for an uninitiated beginner, a HG kit is the best way to start, and you'll come to appreciate all the tools you will get as you move up the chain.

I'm pretty sure that as long you don't build it like an impatient butcher everyone can start with a MG^^ They really aren't that complex. Many of the pieces are bigger than they are on HGs afterall. You just have more pieces to work with.
I wouldn't recommend starting with a more compley kit like the MG Sinanju or something like that though. Many tiny pieces on that one. I think the Sinanju was my 4th MG if i remember correctly...

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4907398)
I think it's best to start for an extreme beginner to go with SDs first.
They're the cheapest, easiest to build, and you you could practice painting/coloring, nipping techniques to cut parts off of trees, etc.

I think starting with an SD would be a little too easy. SDs aren't there for learning how to build Gunpla, they are there to learn how to paint the models.
But if you want to learn how to build Gunpla they are not compley enough in my opinion, they are way too simple for that.

suiton629 2013-11-13 19:18

Again, if you're new to hobbying in general then I would get some SDs to start to get an idea of how things work.

Then move on to something like simpler MGs like the ones from Gundam Age.

Skye629 2013-11-13 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by StratoSpear (Post 4907110)
One of my nightmares too.

Really.

Speaking of which, I need to get back to Gunpla one day. Been going with RDs as of late because I feel a wee bit too lazy to put things together, which is also ironic because my recent RD, the Extreme's option parts, requires that I PUT THINGS TOGETHER.

Worse is I have yet to own an RX-78. Procrastination. :upset:

Worse come to worse and you dont feel like shelling out much money, get the SD 30th Anniversay RX-78-2, its cute as hell, and it comes with decals and a cardboard space battle background

Thats what I went with, for now till they release the MG G3 3.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHige (Post 4907258)
Alright, so after a seven year hiatus from Gunpla, I realized there are a whole lot of technological improvements on these things that I wasn't even aware of. Doing a little research has made me realized how awesome the Nu Ver. Ka is (already ordered it) and the quality difference the current kits are compared to my really old ones (Freedom was my last one).

I was going to get Exia but I read up on the poor leg strength of the unit. Tbh, I don't really plan on having it stand as Exia looks far cooler doing hovering and flying poses, so are the joints strong enough to hold those poses? Or will they droop after awhile? Anyone with the kit knows?

I heard the main problem lay in the ankles (not strong enough)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 4907454)
I'm pretty sure that as long you don't build it like an impatient butcher everyone can start with a MG^^ They really aren't that complex. Many of the pieces are bigger than they are on HGs afterall. You just have more pieces to work with.
I wouldn't recommend starting with a more compley kit like the MG Sinanju or something like that though. Many tiny pieces on that one. I think the Sinanju was my 4th MG if i remember correctly...

I think starting with an SD would be a little too easy. SDs aren't there for learning how to build Gunpla, they are there to learn how to paint the models.
But if you want to learn how to build Gunpla they are not compley enough in my opinion, they are way too simple for that.

But but but SDs ARE SO CUTE!!!!

But yeah you're right, if you mainly want to get practice assembling a kit, HG is the way too go

Cheap, and offers good practice on all spectrums (detailing, painting, customizing, variety etc.)

Aurelis 2013-11-13 21:04

SDs are a turn off for some people, maybe they'll even quit Gunpla because of it :p

I think instead of worrying which grade you should go for [Because HG/MG/PG are actually simple, you follow a step-by-step idiot-proof manual], you should start getting the basics right, including getting the proper tools; cutter, craft/pen knife, panel line stuff, maybe sanding materials and some Gundam markers for a start. Nubs from improper cutting like using nail clippers or god forbid you break the parts off the sprue by hand, are just painful to see.

Onto non-genuine Bandai products, I like the MC Models' design but the Nu, Hi-Nu and Nu HWS was one of the worse experience I've had. The fitting was terrible because the polycaps won't fit in nicely, there's gaps in the armours, the plastic material wasn't great and the funnels, absolute nightmare.

I've also tried a knock-off Psyco Gundam and again, the parts just won't click nicely together. It makes me think twice when the Ex-S Deepstriker ACE Model comes out.

http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/mw690/cf3d9ebd...20sg0lcadv.jpg

Shinobi2013 2013-11-13 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4907476)
Again, if you're new to hobbying in general then I would get some SDs to start to get an idea of how things work.

Then move on to something like simpler MGs like the ones from Gundam Age.

I don't think most people who wants to start gunpla will start on SD especially if they want a look very close from the actual show, SDs are way too exaggerated from the actual show to begin with. I noticed that you purposely skipped the HG line which you are not favored with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appel (Post 4907370)
My very first kit was actually the MG Strike Freedom FBM and everything went fine.
If you prepare for it (buying supplies like good nippers and a hobby knife) and if you follow the manual closely I really don't see a problem with starting with a MG kit.

On my side, I'm glad I didn't start off with MG kit, the way I build my earlier kits is messier than what I do now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelis (Post 4907540)
Onto non-genuine Bandai products, I like the MC Models' design but the Nu, Hi-Nu and Nu HWS was one of the worse experience I've had. The fitting was terrible because the polycaps won't fit in nicely, there's gaps in the armours, the plastic material wasn't great and the funnels, absolute nightmare.

The material of MC kits or 3rd party/bootleg kits as a whole is more toxic than the Bandai does, when I tried to put a primer on the Daban Sinanju stand, MC Nu Gundoom, it started to become smelly:eyespin:

firefox 2013-11-14 07:20

Building a gundam it does not matter with what grade you start. Just a matter of reading, looking and patience.

It's the finishing of a model (paint, panneline, decals) that requires skills and the best way to get those skills is practising on cheap models!

Providenceangle 2013-11-14 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox (Post 4907974)
Building a gundam it does not matter with what grade you start. Just a matter of reading, looking and patience.

It's the finishing of a model (paint, panneline, decals) that requires skills and the best way to get those skills is practising on cheap models!

This is the absolute truth. It can be said for "any" skill. There are a few people out there, who can acquire skill quickly, but there is no one who can do it without practice.

The main problem I have is, not wanting to simply paint the kit and be done with it. I still have projects that remain unfinished, because I keep adding to them. I'm not under a deadline so I just let them collect dust.

suiton629 2013-11-14 16:34

Do you guys think we'll see a MG Exia Repair 3 getting released?
I think we might actually see it as yet another online exclusive soon after the Repair 2 comes out.

Really the only differences and changes needed from the MG Exia Repair 2 would be:

- GN Long Rifle
- change knee armor to blue
- change back skirt armor to blue
- GN Condenser Pack

So they could easily just reprint the same mold as the MG Exia Repair 2 and just add in like 2 or 3 more parts trees.

Infinite Zenith 2013-11-14 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4908364)
Do you guys think we'll see a MG Exia Repair 3 getting released?
I think we might actually see it as yet another online exclusive soon after the Repair 2 comes out.

[...]

So they could easily just reprint the same mold as the MG Exia Repair 2 and just add in like 2 or 3 more parts trees.

It could be a magazine exclusive, but that's about it.

suiton629 2013-11-14 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn (Post 4908369)
It could be a magazine exclusive, but that's about it.

Magazine exclusive?
Why would Bandai do a magazine exclusive for a MG? Has that ever been done? I was thinking online exclusive because:

a. it's a variation
b. online exclusive would mean it wouldn't cut into the regular 1 MG a month release schedule
c. it'd be like a niche suit that only hardcore 00 series or Exia fans would want
d. minimal cost to release a 'new' kit and max profits

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-14 19:33

Starting today I'll officially swore off transforming model (for a while)

That goddamned Overflag

Skye629 2013-11-14 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4908502)
Starting today I'll officially swore off transforming model (for a while)

That goddamned Overflag

What scale? Im assuming HG 1/144

Aside from that....well you picked/got an odd choice. The Flag Line and Enact kits (as well as the Masurao and Susanoo) do something other HGs dont:

They dont have polycaps, they all utilize ball and socket (plastic on plastic) connections, which after time become extremely flimsy/weak (fall out often), and are extremely hard to pose. Their hands are also oversized to the point the weapons simply dont hold well.

On top of this they are some of 00's earliest kits, not that great

I would not swear off transformables because of them, since they're the odd bunch of the group


If you really like the Overflag design though, go with the 1/100 NG, that thing is a completely different story from the HG's, and among the 1/100 NGs, is EASILY one of the best out there







Other good news ppl:

HG QUEBELEY PAPILLION ANNOUNCED!!!!!

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-14 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 4908551)
....well you picked/got an odd choice. The Overflag and Enact kits do something other HGs dont:

They dont have polycaps, they all utilize ball and socket (plastic on plastic) connections, which after time become extremely flimsy/weak (fall out often)

I would not swear off transformables because of them

I see

I got that HG Overflag as present yesterday, two hours later: "SO MANY JOINTS, POLYCAPS WHERE?!"

Thanks for the information :heh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 4908551)
Other good news ppl:

HG QUEBELEY PAPILLION ANNOUNCED!!!!!

:eek:


:hyper-^v^:

EDIT: Avoiding double post

What do you guys think about Tamashii Stage Act series of display stand?

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 4908551)
What scale? Im assuming HG 1/144

Aside from that....well you picked/got an odd choice. The Flag Line and Enact kits (as well as the Masurao and Susanoo) do something other HGs dont:

They dont have polycaps, they all utilize ball and socket (plastic on plastic) connections, which after time become extremely flimsy/weak (fall out often), and are extremely hard to pose. Their hands are also oversized to the point the weapons simply dont hold well.

[/U]

Allow me to correct you: HG Susanowo and Masurao DO use polycaps. In Susanowo's case the torso is overall pretty loose because of the chest cannon. Masuaro is a lot more solid though.

Skye629 2013-11-15 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 (Post 4908869)
Allow me to correct you: HG Susanowo and Masurao DO use polycaps. In Susanowo's case the torso is overall pretty loose because of the chest cannon. Masuaro is a lot more solid though.

Oops, my bad, I thought their builds were like the Braves

I also assumed due to my bro's Susanoo having some serious issues lol

I stand corrected

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skye629 (Post 4908927)
Oops, my bad, I thought their builds were like the Braves

I also assumed due to my bro's Susanoo having some serious issues lol

I stand corrected

Its really not a solid kit :/ I glued some pieces into place to make it stable. Masurao is a little better but not by much

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2013-11-15 06:55

@ Skye & SFV2
Interesting info you guys have. Now I know a bit more about those kits. Thanx for sharing :p.

Tbh, I've never paid any attention to the HG Flags, Masurao, Susano'o, Braves and the likes coz I simply don't like their "skeletal" designs. Masurao & Susano'o might look cooler if they got MG-ed though.

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-15 07:09

I glued my Overflag a lot :heh:

Though only the places with very small pin connecting them, those tend to shatter during transformation.

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor (Post 4909017)
@ Skye & SFV2
Interesting info you guys have. Now I know a bit more about those kits. Thanx for sharing :p.

Tbh, I've never paid any attention to the HG Flags, Masurao, Susano'o, Braves and the likes coz I simply don't like their "skeletal" designs. Masurao & Susano'o might look cooler if they got MG-ed though.

I'm really more into the GN-X's, Aheads and the Ga-suits from the innovates. The Ahead is my personal favourite Grunt from 00

suiton629 2013-11-15 10:15

I never liked the HGs from 00. Overall, they were well proportioned, but too many small pieces and too much dependence on stickers like the Exia's shield.

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4909194)
I never liked the HGs from 00. Overall, they were well proportioned, but too many small pieces and too much dependence on stickers like the Exia's shield.

Your loss. I'm very pleased with the HG00 line. Some work with some Gundam markers and you don't need most of the stickers.

suiton629 2013-11-15 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 (Post 4909203)
Your loss. I'm very pleased with the HG00 line. Some work with some Gundam markers and you don't need most of the stickers.

Not really my loss since I stick to MGs and I have all the MGs from 00 (multiples and Trans Am ones too). =D

I even have the MG Exia Repair 2 on pre-order. Muahahaha.

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4909208)
Not really my loss since I stick to MGs and I have all the MGs from 00 (multiples and Trans Am ones too). =D

I even have the MG Exia Repair 2 on pre-order. Muahahaha.

In my eyes thats a loss. I have most of the MG's as well, and a whole variety of HGs. I also have variants like the Astrea's, Avalanche Exia and grunts and boss suits that will probably never see a release as a MG because only the lead suits and some popular ones will get a MG release. Also, HGs come out a lot faster. So I didn't need to wait 5 years for a release of Exia R2, plus I have the 0 Gundam to go along with it ;)

Shinobi2013 2013-11-15 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by suiton629 (Post 4909194)
I never liked the HGs from 00. Overall, they were well proportioned, but too many small pieces and too much dependence on stickers like the Exia's shield.

It's also your loss that you'll never ever learn how to paint or at least prepaint your own kits making them look even better than even the straight builded MG kits.

suiton629 2013-11-15 11:56

I never said I never owned any HGs before. I started with HG 00 and I learned to paint with them using Gundam Marker, spray cans, and hand brushing acrylics. =P

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-15 12:44

Conflicted to choose between 0 Gundam prototype and 0 Gundam ACD

On the other hand, one came with colors... on the other hand, DEM WINGS.

Inb4 someone said about painting, I'm not dextrous enough yet.

suiton629 2013-11-15 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4909351)
Conflicted to choose between 0 Gundam prototype and 0 Gundam ACD

On the other hand, one came with colors... on the other hand, DEM WINGS.

Inb4 someone said about painting, I'm not dextrous enough yet.

I would get both. I've had both before and I had them fighting next to the Exia and also the Exia R2 for a while.

Roll Out vs. Exia
ACD vs. Exia Repair 2

Get them here:

http://www.gundamplanet.com/o-gundam.html
http://www.gundamplanet.com/o-gundam-type-a-c-d.html

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958760
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN960246

http://gginfinite.com/HG_1-144_GN-00...Model_Kit.html
http://gginfinite.com/HG_1-144_GN-00...Model_Kit.html

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4909351)
Conflicted to choose between 0 Gundam prototype and 0 Gundam ACD

On the other hand, one came with colors... on the other hand, DEM WINGS.

Inb4 someone said about painting, I'm not dextrous enough yet.

I would also say to get both. They are pretty cheap if you get them from HLJ and are among the best HGs out there

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-15 13:18

Hmmm

I'll get both of them then :)

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4909372)
Hmmm

I'll get both of them then :)

Have fun with them^^ I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine :D

ZeroXSEED 2013-11-15 13:31

On a side note: I tend not to pick international shop, main reason is shipping fee. (I don't buy in bulk)

The local online shop has lot's of model already, though their stock tend to deplete fast. I saw both test type and ACD, the rest is history.

StrikeFreedomV2 2013-11-15 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED (Post 4909385)
On a side note: I tend not to pick international shop, main reason is shipping fee. (I don't buy in bulk)

The local online shop has lot's of model already, though their stock tend to deplete fast. I saw both test type and ACD, the rest is history.

Its nice to have a Store with GunPla nearby. There are maybe a few shops that carry Gunpla in Germany amd getting kits elsewhere in Europe is way to expensive. HLJ and a few other sides are the cheapest ways for me get my hands on model kits so I tend to recommend them :heh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:49.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.