AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fullmetal Alchemist (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 38 Discussion/Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=89760)

White Manju Bun 2009-12-26 22:39

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 38 Discussion/Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Episode 38.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

K_Babyy 2009-12-27 06:17

I'm so excited to finally see this part of the manga animated! I hope it's another great episode like last week's!

Ziziphus 2009-12-27 08:26

Only watched it raw, but I must say a very awesome episode all around! I loved every bit of it! :)

Spoiler for this ep:

Too bad there's no FMA next week. :(

Ottocycle 2009-12-27 12:39

The nod to the first series' piano lifting was very much win indeed.

I have yet to forget the legendary episode 37 of that show.

Vicious108 2009-12-27 12:59

Actually, the nod was to a manga omake, but yeah.

CuXe 2009-12-27 14:37

Dam can't wait to watch this week's ep....

Shiroth 2009-12-27 15:33

Won't be watching this episode until the morning, though did the animation deliver like it did in the preview last week?

K_Babyy 2009-12-27 16:22

The animation looked great to me, throughout the whole episode.

The Youswell flashback was hilarious, I can't believe they showed the other 2 Armstrong sisters.

Krazzy Angel 2009-12-28 03:43

Excellent episode. The animation was top-notch. I wonder why they can't afford this standard for all episodes? All the characters looked so amazing. Can't wait for 2 more weeks to see the next episode(even if i know what's gonna happen). 10/10 (I think it's the second time I'm giving that score.)

Haladflire65 2009-12-28 03:45

Good episode^^ The Yoki flashback made me giggle, and the action with the Chimeras was hilarious. Can't wait for more.... Too bad there's no episode next week... :(

Vicious108 2009-12-28 03:54

Well that was one of the best episodes in recent memory. And naturally a lot better than last week's.

Yoki's flashback was pretty hilarious, as was Ed going crazy over his new automail.

And yeah 2 weeks wait now for the next episode is pretty lame. But oh well, maybe these breaks will help them prevent from catching up to the manga before it ends.

Haladflire65 2009-12-28 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endless Twilight (Post 2841289)
And yeah 2 weeks wait now for the next episode is pretty lame. But oh well, maybe these breaks will help them prevent from catching up to the manga before it ends.

Probably it's because it's New Year's.... It's pretty big in Japan.

Ghostfriendly 2009-12-28 04:54

Wasn't expecting the Yoki flashback, but very cool. And even more squeeing Mei than the manga! Her expressions were very cute, and Ed's were good too (Al just has to make do with happy closed eyes). The chimera fight was drawn out very well, making this a well paced episode.

Shiroth 2009-12-28 07:34

Truly loved the Yoki flashback. The original black and white silent style was used very nicely. Had me laughing quite a bit, especially with the addition of the Armstrong sisters who haven't appeared at all yet in this adaptation.

Shame we have to wait two weeks to see one of the best scenes from the manga.

kitten320 2009-12-28 10:56

Lol at Yoki flashback XD
It is ironic that only oldest and younger sister look good un Armstrong family :heh:
I actually could picture Oliviet chasing Yoki there with sword and dressed in night gown :heh:

I wonder what is Edward planning by making a deal with Scar...

GaimeGuy 2009-12-28 18:03

The addition of the silent movie narrated by Yoki to tell the story of Youswell (and the in-joke for FMA1 viewers and manga readers w/ the Catherine Elle lifting a piano scene) was absolute gold.

Great animation on the Scar vs. Jelso and Zanpano fight. And I loved seeing the antics of Ed and Al from these manga chapters animated ("LOOK! SOMEONE'S OVER THERE! *runs*" "AAAH! IT'S A MONSTER! *flying kicks" "YAY! MY AUTOMAIL IS SO LIGHT! *dances around while dodging attacks*").

10/10

ChronoReverse 2009-12-29 03:11

"How foolish of you to sheathe your weapon in front of your enemy"

Mwuahaha, I knew it was coming but it was still good animated.

A clever bit of misdirection with Scar and his hand in the end there. Non-manga readers won't know what hit them next episode.

Dead Cake 2009-12-29 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoReverse (Post 2843073)
Non-manga readers won't know what hit them next episode.

Spoiler for manga:

kitten320 2009-12-29 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoReverse (Post 2843073)
"How foolish of you to sheathe your weapon in front of your enemy"

Mwuahaha, I knew it was coming but it was still good animated.

A clever bit of misdirection with Scar and his hand in the end there. Non-manga readers won't know what hit them next episode.

Duno, the thing with Ed screaming "Why didn't you take better look on Winry, Kimblee?" says a lot and it is obviouse that everything was planned since Winry was with them and there is no way Kimblee could look after her.

That line alone had explained everything.

The only question left is what was the deal about.

yajra03 2009-12-29 22:15

nice episode! 10/10.

CuXe 2009-12-30 21:24

A rather delightful episode I must say. I am not going to compliment Yoki's silent movie cause thats old news to me, in other words, things may not be that funny the second time around but still good for Yoki (getting some screen-time). The only part I did find rather amusing during his silent movie was when cute lil Ms Armstrong threw that piano at Yoki, gosh beautiful Armstrong girls are sooo deceiving!

What I am curious about is the whole interaction between Scar and Winry. Could it be that their heart to heart has brought Winry some closure? Could it be that some friends become enemies and some enemies become friends? Ohh noooess!!!!

wandering-dreamer 2009-12-30 22:11

IMO this was probably the funniest episode of FMA to date, glad they finally put in a bit of Yoki's backstory, although I wish they could've also used it to explain May's presence in Amestrias as well.

DragoZERO 2009-12-30 22:43

Good stuff, good stuff. The brothers' synchrony was awesome and how they dealt with the chimera was hilarious.

"Alphonse-sama" :heh:

Winry...Winry...Winry. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 2841509)
Truly loved the Yoki flashback. The original black and white silent style was used very nicely. Had me laughing quite a bit, especially with the addition of the Armstrong sisters who haven't appeared at all yet in this adaptation.

Shame we have to wait two weeks to see one of the best scenes from the manga.

I found it unique and clever. They skipped over that so this was a great way to tell those who didn't watch the first series what happened. The only problem I had with it was it was a little too long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer (Post 2845929)
IMO this was probably the funniest episode of FMA to date, glad they finally put in a bit of Yoki's backstory, although I wish they could've also used it to explain May's presence in Amestrias as well.

They already told us that May is there to investigate immortality.

Shiroth 2009-12-31 04:41

Al's anime original line "I'm a two timer?" was also nicely done. Forgot to mention that.

DragoZERO 2009-12-31 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 2846366)
Al's anime original line "I'm a two timer?" was also nicely done. Forgot to mention that.

I liked that one. So many romance protagonists would benefit from a realization like that. :heh:

wandering-dreamer 2009-12-31 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 2845971)
They already told us that May is there to investigate immortality.

In the manga May appears in a different fashion which I liked much more, and showed immediately the differences in alchemy and Xin alchemy.

Guido 2009-12-31 16:49

Episode XXXVIII: Clash in Baschool

I don't think it's too good of an idea to immerse down Yoki's memory lane, since the road trip to PastVille detracted me a little bit from the main fights in this episode.

Spoiler for First FMA:

Ok. Ed's gung-ho behavior and jokes were fine gold, preceded by Al's two-timer quote, and May's jealosy streak upon watching Winry coming out from Al's armor.

Alright, we needed even more fights with Scar against the chimeras, and the Elric Brothers against the chimeras.

It was just awestruck cool all the action, and the oozing attacks.

Spoiler:

BTW, for the newcomers FMA: Brotherhood takes a break due to New Years' Eve. So no FullMetal Alchemist episode until January the 10th.

:topicoff:
Happy New Year's Eve!

Dextro 2010-01-01 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guido (Post 2847211)
I don't think it's too good of an idea to immerse down Yoki's memory lane, since the road trip to PastVille detracted me a little bit from the main fights in this episode.

Spoiler for First FMA:

The whole flashback was told in an biased way since it was Yoki telling it. At least I thought that scene was purposely skewed to show he wasn't telling it exactly like it went down.

DragoZERO 2010-01-01 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextro (Post 2848206)
The whole flashback was told in an biased way since it was Yoki telling it. At least I thought that scene was purposely skewed to show he wasn't telling it exactly like it went down.

That's what made it funny.

fizzmaister 2010-01-02 00:23

I think someone at Bones was watching a little too much Yugioh the abridged series.

Cyz 2010-01-02 03:37

The part where Ed is acting psychotic because of his new automail is hilarious.

Bonta Kun 2010-01-02 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyz (Post 2849349)
The part where Ed is acting psychotic because of his new automail is hilarious.

lol yea I loved that part, his mischievous side is one of the best things about his character:p
Miss Romi Paku has that laugh down perfectly:heh:

FlareKnight 2010-01-02 17:56

That was a pretty fun flashback. Damn you do not want to try and rob the Armstrong family. Love the one girl chucking a piano at him :heh:.

A touching moment though when Mustang made that phone call. It's really too bad that Riza can't feel comfortable talking even in her own home. The stress of knowing Pride could be watching at any time has to be overwhelming.

Jarmel 2010-01-03 02:49

Ed and the new automail was a classic scene.

germanturkey 2010-01-03 03:20

the artwork seems a lot better as of the last two episodes. hmm. have yet to watch 38, but it has a few great moments in it based on where it is in the manga.

OkamiNoKaze 2010-01-04 02:49

Great episode. Yoki's silent movie flashback, was awewsome, especially some of Edward's expressions. and the break in to the Armstrong house. and 'AHHHHH!, chucks piano" I laughed through the whole scene. Got some Guyver vibes during the Chimera scene, might have to rewatch the greed episodes, but I don't remember Chimera's changing like that.

Krazzy Angel 2010-01-04 03:31

what's the thing on Ed's automail(Leg) ?

Kirarakim 2010-01-04 11:54

Definitely one of the better episodes of Brotherhood. I loved the Yoki flashback, especially Ed's evil grin. I also liked the fillerish scenes of Yoki meeting the Armstrong sisters. It was nice to get that scene in with Catherine and the piano somehow.

Normally I don't like when Brotherhood switches the order of events around. But this time I liked how they showed Scar abducting Winry before something else.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. Besides the Yoki bits, Ed and Al's fight with the chimeras were very funny. I also loved the black/white/blue scene with Olivier & Buccaneer. It was nice to see that scene in color so to speak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel (Post 2852166)
what's the thing on Ed's automail(Leg) ?

It's a shin guard. Remember Winry said that the Northern automail will be lighter but it will also lose some strength in the process. She gave that to him to replace some of the strength.

Vicious108 2010-01-04 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirarakim (Post 2852493)
Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. Besides the Yoki bits, Ed and Al's fight with the chimeras were very funny. I also loved the black/white/blue scene with Olivier & Buccaneer. It was nice to see that scene in color so to speak.

I agree, but man they made Buccanear's grin way freakier than it was in the manga.

CuXe 2010-01-04 21:04

So there is no FMA 39 this week? agrr well at least Heroes is back!

Anywho, if I was Ed I would at this point be thinking that not having his human arm and leg might not be such a bad thing after all. I mean having a chick like Winry around taking care of the mechanic certainly has its perks and without automail well.... half of Winry's purpose would fly out the window.

At any rate I really love how this second version gets Winry involved a lot more in the whole plot of the series cause in the first one she was just a very cute fixture.