AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mature non Ecchi Fantasy Action Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82958)

micheut 2009-06-19 17:35

Mature non Ecchi Fantasy Action Anime

A long while ago I watched E's Otherwise and really liked it. It contained lots of things I liked. It was serious, mysterious, had some dbz powersphere action etc.
I hoped the series would continue, but unfortunately it stopped after one season.
From that time on I've been searching for this perfect anime that is not restricted to one season.
I liked Shippuuden, since it had a bit more serious moments than the old Naruto. But still, there was a bit to much comedy in there for me. It were especially the drama parts that kept me watching. For example the whole Guren story, I totally loved it. Another thing that I loved about Naruto (as well as DB) is the supernatural powers the chars had. Basically the more, the better.
There is so much Anime out there that I decided to ask for some help. Lots of adult fantasy Anime I watched until now was a bit Ecchi and I totally dislike Ecchi. Romance is fine by me as long as the nakedness is limited. So I stopped watching after one or two episodes.

So this is what I look for:
A mature, non Ecchi, Fantasy Action Anime. With preferably grown up chars, with lots of Naruto/DBZ like 'magic', a strong storyline, a fair dose of Romance and Drama.

Sure hope one of yous is able to suggest a fine Anime to me.

P.S. I'm watching Seirei no Moribito and loving it until now.

Guardian Enzo 2009-06-19 17:40

Damn, you stole my recommendation with that last line of your post! Keep with it, it just gets better.

Even though it's not an action series and doesn't have much romance (it does have some) I'd try Mushishi. Along with Moribito I believe it's the best written anime of the modern era, makes no concessions to mass appeal, and has a wonderful sense of mysticism and magic to it. Plus, the main character is a grown-up.

micheut 2009-06-19 18:07

Wow, that is a quick reply! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try and keep you posted.
Ow... and sorry for stealing your line : o)

Kurai~ 2009-06-19 18:07

Try KIBA. It has one of the more unique concepts among recent anime, in my opinion, and there is plenty of action and drama. Not much romance though.

jedinat 2009-06-19 18:13

Hellsing (2006) - grown-up action anime with lots of bloody battles and powers... no ecchi really beyond the passive chest size of the venerable Seras
Juuni Kokuki - similar setting to Seirei no Moribito I guess. I didn't like Moribito much though--this is one of my favorite anime and is lot more character focused than the the plot-heavy Moribito. High school protagonist in this case--she starts out a crybaby, but grows quickly and more greatly than perhaps any other character in the medium.
(Ah, I wasn't even going to mention Juuni Kokuki since it isn't really a super power anime... but the fact slipped my mind after I put down Hellsing and saw again you were watching Seirei no Moribito ^^;; )

SeijiSensei 2009-06-19 20:00

I was going to mention Junni Kokuki but jed beat me to it!

So here are some other, rather different options:

Princess Mononoke (movie) - A great film by Miyazaki about the conflict between human progress and the natural environment. It has everything you're looking for.

Natsume Yuujinchou (Crunchyroll) - The action is pretty sparse, but effective when it takes place. Watch the first two episodes on Crunchy then decide.

Noein (licensed) - This is a science-fiction show, but it borders on fantasy and has some remarkable fighting sequences.

Yakushiji Ryoko ni Kaiki Jikenbo - Ryoko is the drop-dead gorgeous head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police. Her assistant is a handsome, intelligent man who seems oblivious to Ryoko's interest in him, though that might be a clever defense. The plot is pretty silly at times, and it verges on the "monster-of-the-week" genre, but it's fun and sexy without really being "ecchi." (I think Ryoko is nude once, but it's handled tastefully.) The interplay between the leads makes this show.

MuraKami 2009-06-20 01:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheut (Post 2461645)
So this is what I look for:
A mature, non Ecchi, Fantasy Action Anime. With preferably grown up chars, with lots of Naruto/DBZ like 'magic', a strong storyline, a fair dose of Romance and Drama.

Well, I think that closer to E's Otherwise are series like s-CRY-ed, Rahxephon, Persona Trinity Soul or Project ARMS. For a fantasy, perhaps you might check Soul Eater or The Vision of Escaflowne.

micheut 2009-06-20 03:50

Thanks all for giving so many suggestions. I'm youtubing trailers as we speak.

@ Seiji: I've seen Princess Mononoke before and you are right, it has everything I'm looking for. Nausica of the windvalley did the job for me as well. It totally got me emotional.

Guardian Enzo 2009-06-20 10:28

It's scary how much SeijiSensei's tastes overlap with mine - close to 100%, seems like. Mononoke is Miyazaki's best work, IMO. And if you try Mushishi (which I hope you do) and like it, it's probably a safe bet you'll like Natsume Yuujunchu. They have a different feel from each other, but the same intelligence and love of shinto mysticism. And as for Noein, it's one of my faves. I would also belatedly add "Zettai Shounen" which, while it has a juvenile main character, is very mature in it's style and certainly has a strong fantasy plotline. Especially in the first arc, it's an underrated gem.

Let us know how you liked Seirei no Moribito once you're finished...

SeijiSensei 2009-06-20 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 2462746)
It's scary how much SeijiSensei's tastes overlap with mine - close to 100%, seems like.

Maybe we should just divide up the Suggestions items between us, then? :heh:

Quote:

Mononoke is Miyazaki's best work, IMO.
I'd agree with that, though I've not seen Nausicaa. While I enjoy many "plucky-girl" shows, I'd have to say Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle didn't measure up to Mononoke Hime for me.

Quote:

And if you try Mushishi (which I hope you do) and like it
I've tried watching Mushishi on three separate occasions and have never been able to get into it. I'll probably give it another try down the road.

Speaking of mononokes, how about Mononoke the anime? I'd recommend first springing for $7 at RightStuf to buy "Goblin Cat," the three-episode arc from Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales that was the prequel to Mononoke. No romance in this show, but it's very mature and dramatic; no ecchi, either. The protagonist uses magic, but only rarely are there magical battles, so I didn't list it the first time around.

If you're open to mature, dramatic, no ecchi, but definitely not a fantasy with supernatural features, there's always Monster.

@micheut - I was playing Chrono Cross just this morning trying to find those annoying shiny materials. All I have left to do is fight Lavos, so I'm trying to upgrade weapons/armor. Sure is hard getting those white and black shiny materials!

micheut 2009-06-20 11:28

Quote:

And if you try Mushishi (which I hope you do) and like it, it's probably a safe bet you'll like Natsume Yuujunchu.
I watched the trailer and some parts of it on youtube and those are definitely are on my playlist now after I finish Moribito.

Juuni kokuki also looked good, but maybe a bit of a fantasy overdose. But I'm going to give it a try.

Quote:

I'd agree with that, though I've not seen Nausicaa. While I enjoy many "plucky-girl" shows, I'd have to say Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle didn't measure up to Mononoke Hime for me.
I never understood all the fuss about Spirited away and Howl. Especially Spirited away was a bit to bizarre for me. Howl did a bit of a better job. Nausica had the same atmosphere as Mononoke - a slight pacifistic mainchar, or at least someone who loves one another rather than going on a killing rampage.

Quote:

@micheut - I was playing Chrono Cross just this morning trying to find those annoying shiny materials. All I have left to do is fight Lavos, so I'm trying to upgrade weapons/armor. Sure is hard getting those white and black shiny materials!
I totally loved Chrono Cross, but I always seem to loose interest in the endgame content. The same goes for the FF series, I finished up to 90% of the main story line but then I just quit out of frustration. :S

SeijiSensei 2009-06-20 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheut (Post 2462827)
Juuni kokuki also looked good, but maybe a bit of a fantasy overdose. But I'm going to give it a try.

Trust me, the human relationships and the plot in Junni Kokuki are far more important than the fantasy elements. They're used more to structure the world in which the story unfolds. It's a slow starter for some people, so give it half-a-dozen episodes or so.

Quote:

I always seem to lose interest in the endgame content.
Well games do have to end, but I agree that final boss battles often feel anti-climactic because I know the game's story has already concluded. In this case, I don't really care about defeating Lavos. Somewhere I have a NewGame+ hanging around; I might try getting to the various multiple endings in that one now. Multiple endings are just one of Chrono Cross's many excellent features.

Alice Elliot 2009-06-20 19:59

You should definetely go for Fullmetal Alchemist. It's Fantasy/Action and theres also much drama. The plot is georgous. Same goes for the depth of characters and bonds between them. It's one of the over-the-top Anime out there.

I would also recommend Juuni Kokki. Another over-the-top anime which I dropped after watching the first episode. After seeing the rating on anidb I tried it again after a year and I absolutely fell in love with it.

micheut 2009-06-21 15:49

Quote:

Let us know how you liked Seirei no Moribito once you're finished...
Just finished the final episode and I totally loved it! Anime like this is exactly what I like. Deep story, nice plot, serious, fantasy, tradition and above all characters I like. Balsa and Tanda were about my age so that was a big pro as well.

Quote:

You should definetely go for Fullmetal Alchemist.
The thing with FMA is that the main character is overconfident. Maybe it changes when the series continue but the first thing I saw was that people asked the big dude in the armor if he was the FMA. The real FMA got frustrated and started yelling.
This is also what annoyed me most in Naruto. Especially in Pre Shippuuden.

Now it's time to watch Moshishi or Juuni, I have to decide yet. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for the friendly recommendations.

wkd 2009-06-21 15:55

You should try Basilisk. Its about 2 ninja clans that are currently at peace (after many generations of hate and fighting) and are expecting a marriage between the grandchildren of the clan leaders. But because of the politics of the country leaders and long lasting hatred and desire for revenge between the clans members, the peace is quickly broken. Lots of action that has fantasy/supernatural elements (although not as much as naruto), drama and romance. Also the animation is very beautiful.

Guardian Enzo 2009-06-21 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheut (Post 2464845)
Just finished the final episode and I totally loved it! Anime like this is exactly what I like. Deep story, nice plot, serious, fantasy, tradition and above all characters I like. Balsa and Tanda were about my age so that was a big pro as well.

The thing with FMA is that the main character is overconfident. Maybe it changes when the series continue but the first thing I saw was that people asked the big dude in the armor if he was the FMA. The real FMA got frustrated and started yelling.
This is also what annoyed me most in Naruto. Especially in Pre Shippuuden.

Now it's time to watch Moshishi or Juuni, I have to decide yet. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for the friendly recommendations.

Yep, Moribito is a real gem - screenwriting, art direction and cinematography off the charts. Really more like a live-action film than an anime TV series.

I'd really try Mushishi next, because it's also incredibly smart and respects its audience. There's no emotional connection like the Balsa/Chagum relationship in Moribito, but the episodic side stories are sometimes quite involving.

Lvrhina 2009-06-21 18:58

mmm Mature non ecchi, i would have to say DOGS: bullets and carnage , even though only two episodes are out right now which is 15 minutes and another two more to air later . the manga is awesome and i think it fits right into that category

i wish i could of given an anime with a longer season but im bit tired and that was first thing on my mind

micheut 2009-06-22 18:17

I think I'm going to die.
Nothing seem to interest me.
Moribito is finished and all the recommended Anime seems so dull. Either too aggressive or too passive, either too slow or too fast...
I'd better have a Animebreak and then watch some new Anime again. The saying is true: you should save the best for last.

Guardian Enzo 2009-06-22 18:49

If you tried Mushishi and didn't care for it (which would be a real shame) I don't think Natsume Yujinchuu will float your boat either. Noein is a possible option - it does have kids in most of the lead roles, but the writing is exceptionally smart and it has more action than Mushishi.

jedinat 2009-06-22 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheut (Post 2466635)
I think I'm going to die.
Nothing seem to interest me.
Moribito is finished and all the recommended Anime seems so dull. Either too aggressive or too passive, either too slow or too fast...
I'd better have a Animebreak and then watch some new Anime again. The saying is true: you should save the best for last.

Moribito really isn't all that great. Maybe you just need to take a break from anime for a while. Read a book; play video games; watch a live-action TV show.