AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   (L) Love Hina (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78)

Lst2touchdasky 2003-11-03 21:00

Love Hina

Well the orignal one died, just thought i'd revive it

Rebochan 2003-11-04 01:26

Well, I'll get it going then. I heard Tokyopop made some major edits to the storyline. What exactly are they, and are they actually as major? I own the first two volumes and was starting to finally get a better impression of them again and now this (well, this and Initial D, and the really sloppy Mew Mew translations).

Sesshoumaru 2003-11-04 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebochan
Well, I'll get it going then. I heard Tokyopop made some major edits to the storyline. What exactly are they, and are they actually as major? I own the first two volumes and was starting to finally get a better impression of them again and now this (well, this and Initial D, and the really sloppy Mew Mew translations).

I own three volumes and haven't seen any diffrence from the original yet. Changes are evil

Sabin 2003-11-04 08:46

I haven't read any fan translations for it but i own all the tokyopop volumes and even if they did make changes to it, its still great.

hobobaggins 2003-11-05 14:15

Tokyopop rules all other translators (including viz) but yes, their translation of Initial D does suck balls. i am all for the support of the american manga industry... but after reading the first manga all the way though readking "tak" over and over... i want to find a scanlated version... or hell. a raw manga with a script translation.

Maveric 2003-11-05 23:44

I have read LH all the way through in both Scanlation and Tokyopop form multiple times each. As far as I can remember off the top of my head, there are 2 changes. Both have to do with the way the Japanese call each other by name.

Change #1: Chapter 106 (vol 13):
Spoiler:

Change#2 Chapter Epilogue II:
Spoiler:

As you can see, since they had Keitaro call her Naru instead of Narusegawa from the very beginning, they had to change the jokes a bit to fit it better. It didn't really affect the story though, and these are the worst changes they do, meaning the rest of the story is intact.

Mr. Bushido 2003-11-06 21:56

thats good. Ive bought most of the volumes and planning to buy all but one this saturday. (damn borders i have to order it!!)

They shouldve kept it tho, even tho its not a major change. I think Keitaro calls her Narusegawa in the beginning (dont remember) but the americans wouldnt really understand it about the first name joke. Even on anime threads i find myself or others having to explain the name thing.

Maveric 2003-11-06 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoro
thats good. Ive bought most of the volumes and planning to buy all but one this saturday. (damn borders i have to order it!!)

They shouldve kept it tho, even tho its not a major change. I think Keitaro calls her Narusegawa in the beginning (dont remember) but the americans wouldnt really understand it about the first name joke. Even on anime threads i find myself or others having to explain the name thing.

Nope. He calls her Naru from the very beginning. Although, I think there is ONE instance where he calls her Narusegawa (can't find it right now though).

ADV Manga does a good job with the name thing though. I recently bought the Full Metal Panic manga, and they seem to go by the Japanese rules more often than the English ones.

ElvenPath 2003-11-08 19:00

The manga does differ from the anime.

Spoiler:

7thMethuselah 2003-11-09 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AST
The manga does differ from the anime.

Spoiler:

Yes but the reason for that isn't because they changed the story but it is because Love Hina Again ends in volume 11 of the manga and not volume 14.

And you will notice that the ending of volume 11 in the manga is more or less the same as the one in Love Hina again

ElvenPath 2003-11-09 18:35

Sorry 'haven't watched Love Hina Again yet :o

Mr. Bushido 2003-11-10 01:13

actually the Love Hina Again goes up to vol. 12 and ends... OVA is better than anime in everything from quality to ending.

Maveric 2003-11-10 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoro
actually the Love Hina Again goes up to vol. 12 and ends... OVA is better than anime in everything from quality to ending.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

The LHA OVA was pretty bad. The fact that it gave a sort of closure to the anime was pretty much the only redeeming quality.

The manga is 10 times better than the anime/specials/OVA. But since I read it before I knew there was an anime, I may be biased.

7thMethuselah 2003-11-10 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maveric
Can I have some of what you're smoking?

The LHA OVA was pretty bad. The fact that it gave a sort of closure to the anime was pretty much the only redeeming quality.

The manga is 10 times better than the anime/specials/OVA. But since I read it before I knew there was an anime, I may be biased.

No the manga IS alot better then the anime. At least in the manga the spring break makes any sense at all, and they don't need some ghost story to finish love hina again.

LH Again was a dissapointment for me, but then again maybe i expected too much of it since i still consider Love Hina the best anime i've ever seen.

About the changes in the manga, I have both the french translation as the english translation and there isn't much difference between them, dunno if newest edition by tokyopop is different though

ElvenPath 2003-11-10 16:51

A manga is always far better than its anime version :dots:

Loki_Ragnarok 2003-11-10 18:31

the love hina manga rulez!

Mr. Bushido 2003-11-10 22:34

i watched the OVA before i read the manga probably why i liked it more than you did. hahahaha. if i watch it now, id hate it for sure.

BTW: in vol. 7 there is a part where there is white space next to keitaro ovbiously for dialogue, however there is nothing in it. Is this because the tokyopop messed up or was it something they did on purpose? (2wice)

Tboz 2003-11-11 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AST
A manga is always far better than its anime version :dots:

Agreed, except when the manga is adapted from the anime instead... :D

Actually the Love Hina manga would have been alot more fun and shorter if less crap is mixed into it. They are supposedly there for comic relief but I sometimes find them redundent and not funny at all.

Other than that, I like the series... :)

IMSabbel 2003-11-11 05:56

yeah.
And although the mangaka stated that naru is cute because she beats up keitaro, i would have prefered if she would have at least STARTED stopping it around volume 5.
Its so strange: beating up keitharo---Why doesnt he confess? -- beating him up again... -- does he like me? --- beating him again.....
If the gender roles were reversed, it could be a social drama :)

Sukato 2003-11-11 09:02

Hmm..I think the anime and manga are both good until about Volume 11 where the manga is far superior. Kanako being my 2nd favorite LH character is much better in the manga than she is in the anime. I especially like the 'love chart' she creates and the Keitaro doll she makes for the other girls to punch before they can enter the restroom.