AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Diablo III (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8195)

Velsy 2010-02-19 12:49

For some reason non of the characters really interest me.

In Diablo 2, I was a huge fan of a spear welding amazon with support summon Valkyrie. Also really liked the Paladin and Sorceress with Chain Lightning and Telekineses.

But theres nothing really to look forward too. I've never played the Barbarian and dont intend too.

So I am somewhat dissapointed.

Ithekro 2010-02-19 14:13

I first played as a Necromancer, which was fun. Massive skeletal armies with a nice golem work wonders...especially after one discovered to wonders of Corpes Explosion at higher levels...or on the Cow Level where the bovine out class you a bit still. Then a Barbarian which was alright with jumping attacks and multi hit attacks. The Paladin was just awesome with Zeal and Thorns Aura with added Thorns on items with something that returned mana and health per strike. If some mob could actually hit me with my massive shield, they usually died from the Thorns. Then seven or whatever hits on a strike while regains all lost mana and probably a good bit of health was just really fun. I even used Thorns against Diablo himself. While I'd have to run around for all his magic attacks, I would dare for him to hit me, because it would take off a massive amount of his health each time he'd hit me.

ZGoten 2010-02-19 14:39

My favorite D2-character was a Shockadin; fully skilled shock-aura and shock-resistance and that all-elements-resistance for synergy, oh and a few points in zeal of course. Most enemies died from your aura before even reaching you.

Lizzie 2010-02-19 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZGoten (Post 2923353)
My favorite D2-character was a Shockadin; fully skilled shock-aura and shock-resistance and that all-elements-resistance for synergy, oh and a few points in zeal of course. Most enemies died from your aura before even reaching you.

Almost sounds like Gurren Lagaan. The sheer awesome of your presence kills everyone.

I'm interested in D3 but I've never played the prior games before ... I played the demo for the Diablo clone Torchlight though.

-Sho- 2010-03-03 21:28

Blizzard still keeping with gender :

http://kotaku.com/5484025/diablo-iii...-sexy-rock-god

Sexy male wizard :heh:

Kyero Fox 2010-03-03 23:53

haha sexy rock star wizard XD

im definaly making a male wizard to mess with female chars XD

FlareKnight 2010-03-04 02:53

Haha wow these character designs :heh:. Go forth rock star! Diablo won't know what hit him.

SaintessHeart 2010-03-04 06:38

I was looking forward for him to have a skill named "Hell The World".

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2010-03-04 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlareKnight (Post 2942618)
Haha wow these character designs :heh:. Go forth rock star! Diablo won't know what hit him.

Personally as far as the face is concerned, he remind me of the Asian art portrayals of those in the Three Kingdoms period. Essentially what Ancient Chinese wanted perfection to look like.

Azuma Denton 2010-03-04 07:00

I'm looking forward of seeing Diablo using facepalm when he sees all of these characters... :heh:

FireBorn 2010-03-04 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzie (Post 2923392)
Almost sounds like Gurren Lagaan. The sheer awesome of your presence kills everyone.

I'm interested in D3 but I've never played the prior games before ... I played the demo for the Diablo clone Torchlight though.

Torchlight was good, but it lacked the fun abilities and open areas that Diablo II had. It was probably closer to the original Diablo, but then it lacked the scary atmosphere... overall I enjoyed the Diablo games more than Torchlight. But who knows how Diablo III will turn out. Personally I'm afraid it'll be more like World of Diablo instead of Diablo III, but we'll see.

Ithekro 2010-03-04 22:03

So....can be get that Bard "Hero class" character class for Diablo III? We got the Mage rocker, just need the guitar player.....

Arbitres 2010-03-04 22:21

The only way you get the guitar player is if you play The Bard Tale. Simple. As. That.

Diablo 3 better not be a WoW crapshifting... Urghh, I loved 1 & 2, but I may very well stop playing if it's following the 'best' game of the Blizzard franchise.

It's unfortunate about the Necromancer not being a class this time around, as I could only imagine the expanded and more details undead you could revive.

Warlock seems fun, so i may very well play that for my first walkthrough, but I may be Barbarian, I was always a sucker for the melee attacks.

while being able to choose gender this time around is nice and all, have they cleared up on the female barbarians backstory yet? Or are they going to halfass it, and stick with it in the same fashion as the male barbarian? :/

I heard a rumor on another forum they are intending on making Tyrael the antagonist, possibly a fallen angel or epic good guy turned epic bad guy.

If Tyrael is the bad guy, all I have to say is this: Epic fail. Good fight maybe, but I loved Tyrael's presence in the game, especially in Lord of Destruction and during Pandemonium.

-sigh- Angel of Justice, almost romantic, don't you think? Then again, there is no justice, just self-righteousness.

Jazzrat 2010-03-05 01:31

Jeez, everyone seems to be worried about Diablo turning into WoW.

Some mechanic are bound to migrate from WoW to Diablo because afterall, WoW took a number of aspect from Diablo 2 (skills and skill tree).

But other than that... what else could both game share? The stupidity destined to occur on both chatroom and most probably, the commercial success.

I really wonder at times what made people hate WoW that they think it's going to infect Diablo ? The subscription? The long hour raids? The comically humor and art style? Murlocs?

felix 2010-03-05 14:19

For then players never really liked it more then just "a good game" it was I think always the graphics and the slightly (all be well done) candy atmosphere; but I guess its somewhat to be expected when the lore is so well known. As for the rest is the fear they will make it casual/easy as I keep hearing is the trend now with WoW from what I'm hearing.

FireBorn 2010-03-05 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzrat (Post 2944102)
Jeez, everyone seems to be worried about Diablo turning into WoW.

Some mechanic are bound to migrate from WoW to Diablo because afterall, WoW took a number of aspect from Diablo 2 (skills and skill tree).

But other than that... what else could both game share? The stupidity destined to occur on both chatroom and most probably, the commercial success.

I really wonder at times what made people hate WoW that they think it's going to infect Diablo ? The subscription? The long hour raids? The comically humor and art style? Murlocs?

Treadmill-style tiered item grinding, boss ability gimmicks, and the art style are things I personally wouldn't want to see brought over. They were also all very successful in WoW, so I'm afraid they would have a good chance of bringing them over to D3.

Xacual 2010-03-06 02:37

No offense or anything but the D3 graphics look like updated Diablo 2 graphics, just like the starcraft 2 graphics look like updated starcraft 1 graphics. It's really annoying that people have to constantly be afraid that a game might carry over concepts from another game from the SAME company and instead just wait for actual info about the game.

Also maybe its just me but something like tiered sets would actually work in Diablo3 considering you know the fact that there were sets and bonuses and nobody complained about them in D2.

Ithekro 2010-03-06 03:58

Considering the general linear nature of Diablo 1 and 2, I doubt there will be a tier system like for dungeon sets in WoW...it isn't practical to tell the story with groups running the same level over and over again to get the best gear. Most people I would think want to get through the level and move on if it follows the Diablo 2 method of story progression. Though I never got to the higher levels of difficulty in Diablo 2 (I was somewhere in Act II or III on the second level of difficulty), I don't imagine going again and again at the highest level of play since there would officially be no point to it since you beat the game.

The "hardcore" players of Diablo were those that would go though things and never die (because they only had one life...no rez). You have to be good or lucky for that kind of pressure, and risking repeated death just to get better gear doesn't should like a good plan if you only have one life. (unlike doing WoW heroics, Naxx, or whatever over and over again to get new stuff because you can die more than once and it is something to do since you can't beat the game.)

Xacual 2010-03-06 05:18

Well I guess my comparison to tiered sets was the fact that people on battle.net for Diablo2 would constantly do Mephisto runs, baal runs, etc just to get a certain piece of loot. Now say that certain bosses in an act dropped like a 3-4 piece set with the final piece being from the end boss, thats how I could see it easily being used in Diablo3.

Also I apologize for my remark, it just seems like a lot of people online have anti wow sentiments and use it as if the fact that blizz made WoW before D3 is somehow going to turn D3 into something the Diablo series never was.

Jazzrat 2010-03-06 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireBorn (Post 2945291)
Treadmill-style tiered item grinding, boss ability gimmicks, and the art style are things I personally wouldn't want to see brought over. They were also all very successful in WoW, so I'm afraid they would have a good chance of bringing them over to D3.

Art style is definitely not getting brought over from WoW as the demo have shown. At least in the general sense, big shoulder pad armor are in though if the concept art we saw is any indications. Unless you want to complain about it being too "bright".
Here's a link on one of the older interviews with Diablo 3 designer on the fan outcry
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...-turns-tables/

As for the gear issue, well nothing's been revealed so far how the loot mechanic is going to be like, so i guess some might have concern about it. If Diablo 3 was a subscription based game, then it's possible that top end gear would be outdated as subsequent contents are provided. If not, then it's likely Diablo 3 would retain the old system where the real hardcore means no rez. Your dream gear though would take a huge amount of bnet trading to complete.

Boss fight gimmick is definitely not going to be like WoW since Diablo 3 is meant for single and co-op play hack & slash. Every fight have to be soloable with scaling difficulty based on number of players present in a game. Plus dying in Diablo 3 during a boss fight doesnt wipe out your team.

It's key to remember that despite both games are done by the same company, WoW is still an MMORPG with a persistant world and Diablo 3 is a hack & slash RPG with multiplayer co-op. Very different games despite being RPG.

For me, i would be more concerned if they could further improve Diablo 3. There's been a fair share of diablo-clone out since diablo 2 (titan quest for one was pretty good) and despite not achieving the same success as Blizzard had, they all brought in new improvement to the genre. I do hope Blizzard would pick those up just as they did when they developed WoW instead of just looking at Diablo 2 and WoW as their source of inspiration.

SaintessHeart 2010-03-06 13:06

I thought the loot mechanic is pretty straightforward : everything until you are full.

But I would like the storage mechanic to be able to flip weapons like in RE4/5. It is kind of annoying to not be able to carry an extra item just because there isn't enough grids available.

Xion Valkyrie 2010-03-06 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 2946269)
I thought the loot mechanic is pretty straightforward : everything until you are full.

But I would like the storage mechanic to be able to flip weapons like in RE4/5. It is kind of annoying to not be able to carry an extra item just because there isn't enough grids available.

Then you'd be going back to town every 5 seconds or so on some of the later maps lol.

Anyways, I feel like all the Diablo clones really failed. The reason Diablo 2 was so great was because of the absolute freedom in items and builds, both of which were generally not replicated well in its clones.

I hope D3 follows what made D2 great.

Arbitres 2010-03-06 20:32

I agree, Xion Valkyrie. The rare sets that gave awesome bonuses, the biblical irony of the game. As well as the inventory. It was all about management, you drop this and that, this and that takes priority because money/bettah loot/It looks Kewell.. err.. kewl*

They took the stats out, which in my opinion, was the fun part. Allocating them to your preference and build was the challenging part besides loot runs and skill tree building, along with demon slaughter.

I also saw they made the male wizard into something akin to a medieval rockstar. I'm quite interested now. ( :naughty: Well.. the picture may have helped me get interested in playing...) Could someone give me a skill tree, or is he all magic? I wouldn't mind some early passives myself, especially anything fire related. :) lol.

Xion Valkyrie 2010-03-06 23:17

Aren't they doing something completely different with the skill tree this time? Something about attaching runes to your skills to make them do completely different things?

Jazzrat 2010-03-07 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 2946883)
Aren't they doing something completely different with the skill tree this time? Something about attaching runes to your skills to make them do completely different things?

Last i heard, instead of having 3 separate trees, it's all under one big tree with tier progression (i.e spending x amount of skill points on tier 1 to unlock tier 2 skills.) Skill modification are still being kept but only in internal build.

Makes me wonder how they are going to handle gear requirement if they are scrapping the stats. Without stats, everyone is going to wear the heaviest armor they can get their hands on, unless light armor provides some extra bonuses to offset that (like IAS/FHR and etc).

SaintessHeart 2010-03-07 02:01

There could be one suggestion, reintroduce the Bard Class from D1. It would be very interesting to play it if we have a female Bard who can throw castanets as a ranged attack.

felix 2010-03-07 03:47

Wasn't D1's bard unfinished character or something?

Malintex_Terek 2010-03-07 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 2945678)
It's really annoying that people have to constantly be afraid that a game might carry over concepts from another game from the SAME company and instead just wait for actual info about the game.

You have to keep in mind the people working on D3 are not the same people who worked on D2, who are in turn not the same as those who worked on D1. The D3 developers are the fanboys of D2 (and D1) making an officially sanctioned, high budget fan game. And like many fanboys, if D2 is to be an example, they're bound to be poor judges of art direction and story. Crossovers are a signature of amateurish writing or uninspired game design.

D2 was a worthless game outside of multiplayer, and given the egos of Blizzard staff I wouldn't be surprised if D3 was even more pretentious than D2 was. BUT as long as MP is good I don't think people will complain too loudly, but given the number of supposed changes and obvious fanboy bias (lol Barbarian) it seems to be a major pissing contest with the fans losing no matter who wins out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 2947185)
Wasn't D1's bard unfinished character or something?

It was 'completed' in Hellfire, but Blizzard's current staff seem to feel Sierra's work was so inferior using any of it is blasphemous to the distinguished legacy of Blizzard North, so they probably won't touch it.

Kyero Fox 2010-03-07 11:31

hahaha I liked the picture with "WoW gayness" made my day a whole lot less annoying.

felix 2010-03-10 18:02

A few Diablo]|[ points answered in a blizz cast for star][craft:
  • There is no phasing (ie. changing the world as you progress). Game will not be a persistent MMO, as far as changing the world as you progress the story goes. Maps will be treated as instances. Thus, when you enter again its reset.
  • Respec will be targeted per skills, cost will scale (early cheap, later expensive).
  • Each classes will use its own "resource" (ie. mana will not be for all). A few examples are given: Barbarian uses "fury", Which Doctor uses "mana" (and is the only one who uses mana). There are no mana potions however. Monk has been confirmed as, I quote, solid as far as the "resource" its using, but the name of the resource name has not been revealed.
  • There will be randomness in the game. (this was a implied answer, interpret as you wish)
  • There is no durability on items, now. But it might be there, later.
  • Picked up/Purchased items was considered as designed to be bound to account (ie. you can share between characters), but too early to make a statement.

Duo Maxwell 2010-03-10 21:37

Can't say they didn't get their inspiration from WoW, didn't they?

felix 2010-03-10 21:58

World of Warcraft was made by them ya' know.

Duo Maxwell 2010-03-10 22:12

I know. I was just talking about how did they get their ideas. It's not like I complained anyway =/.

Arbitres 2010-03-11 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 2952453)
A few Diablo]|[ points answered in a blizz cast for star][craft:
  • There is no phasing (ie. changing the world as you progress). Game will not be a persistent MMO, as far as changing the world as you progress the story goes. Maps will be treated as instances. Thus, when you enter again its reset.
  • Respec will be targeted per skills, cost will scale (early cheap, later expensive).
  • Each classes will use its own "resource" (ie. mana will not be for all). A few examples are given: Barbarian uses "fury", Which Doctor uses "mana" (and is the only one who uses mana). There are no mana potions however. Monk has been confirmed as, I quote, solid as far as the "resource" its using, but the name of the resource name has not been revealed.
  • There will be randomness in the game. (this was a implied answer, interpret as you wish)
  • There is no durability on items, now. But it might be there, later.
  • Picked up/Purchased items was considered as designed to be bound to account (ie. you can share between characters), but too early to make a statement.

Absolutely nothing about the wizard's resource, though. What do wizards use? Life?

If so, then no. I am not casting a spell that has the possibility of killing me. Lowering my overall health just to do good damage? Nuh-uh. If thats the case, i'll stick with the monk, then.

I wonder if they will add Gae Bolg as an item this time around. That'd make me happy. Plus.. I wonder what the wizard's 'ultimate armor' look likes? (an example: higher spec armor in D2 added armor 'parts'.)

Still, i'm wondering what the skill tree looks like now? I'm interested in the reinnovated barbarian and looking forward to the wizard.

FYI: Wizard is bishie, thats why I wanna play as one. D:

Duo Maxwell 2010-03-11 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbitres (Post 2953134)
Absolutely nothing about the wizard's resource, though. What do wizards use? Life?

If so, then no. I am not casting a spell that has the possibility of killing me. Lowering my overall health just to do good damage? Nuh-uh. If thats the case, i'll stick with the monk, then.

No need to make a fuss over something from your imagination, man =/
I just wonder where did that idea of your come from.

I myself have a feeling it's something like Rune.

Jazzrat 2010-03-11 05:26

Without them announcing what's the final class is going to be, i think it's difficult to say what's the mage is going to be using as their resource.

I doubt life is going to be used by any class for their casting unless they are given some abilities to actively regenerate it during combat. I'm betting on energy (like rogue's from WoW) since as a caster, they typically frontload their damage in combat.

Monk is probably on a combo system since they most likely inherit the martial aspect from D2's assassin.

-Sho- 2010-03-23 15:33

Let's keep with gender (as usual ):

http://kotaku.com/5499590/diablo-iii...-side/gallery/

Look ok . Second image reminds me a tribe in Africa .

felix 2010-03-23 16:22

Nice looking necromancer you have there. Its nice Blizzard seems to be moving away from the "female = X height, with sizes Y, Z, Q" babe formula and adding more diversity.

felix 2010-04-23 18:08

I read somewhere Wizzard's energy system will be a sort of "Instability system" (?).

Any info on this?

Ithekro 2010-04-23 21:20

What, sort of like the wizard has to keep his energy in check ot else it will blow up?