AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Higurashi (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei OVA - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82863)

Klashikari 2009-06-17 03:49

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei OVA - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll
 
Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, OVA 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gifJust highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...ons/report.gifClick the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Skullchukka 2009-06-17 04:17

Again, I have a promise to a friend to watch the 4th episode together, and since I lack the ability to understand Japanese that well, I couldn't watch it yet. So I'd like to ask;

Spoiler for A certain character in Higurashi & Umineko:

Eryops 2009-06-17 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullchukka (Post 2457067)
Again, I have a promise to a friend to watch the 4th episode together, and since I lack the ability to understand Japanese that well, I couldn't watch it yet. So I'd like to ask;

Spoiler for A certain character in Higurashi & Umineko:

Spoiler:

synaesthetic 2009-06-18 18:00

Mightily resisting the temptation to watch the raw as I won't understand a thing.

Is it a leak or something? I didn't think Ep. 4 would be out until 06/24.

Skullchukka 2009-06-18 18:17

Yes, all the Rei episodes so far have been "leaked" 10~ days earlier.

Marion 2009-06-18 21:40

Spoiler for Rei spoilers:


Well that ends Saikoroshi, which means next time is Day Break!~

Ca12nag3 2009-06-19 06:55

Daybreak i fear will be as the first one seems to be. A bit squashed up episode with no real story to tell.

With 2/3/4 we had the best of Rei i guess.

Marion 2009-06-19 08:11

The 2nd episode was good, but the 3rd episode did rush the story a lot. Then again it is an OVA.

SealedTime 2009-06-24 04:16

They rushed it but hey, it was good.

zetsumei 2009-06-24 23:35

Spoiler for Question ^^;:


Lots of non-stop dialogues O_O; but it was fun to watch. Learned of a lot of stuff about Rika that I never knew before. The ideology at the end was interesting.

Eryops 2009-06-25 02:30

Here's a translation of episode 4. Just give this file the same name as the raw and place them in the same directory. I'd also suggest opening it and setting the font size from 20 to 30.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetsumei (Post 2470426)
Spoiler for Question ^^;:

Spoiler:

Skullchukka 2009-06-25 04:30

Thank you for the translation Eryops! Me and my friend are far too excited to wait for a fansub, so the translation was like a godsent for us.
*starts worshipping*

izmosmolnar 2009-06-25 04:47

Man that was mighty confusing.
Spoiler for in case you haven't watched it.:

Klashikari 2009-06-25 05:37

Ouka is not Bernkastel at all. It is indeed Hanyuu's daughter, Furude Ouka, the ancestor of the Furude bloodline and the wielder of the Onigari no Ryuuou.

Hanyuu died as a "human", but became a god after what Ouka did (the onigafuchi revering Oyashiro), but the method had to be twisted to gain what hanyuu hoped for... which ultimately didn't go so well.

As for Bernkastel, they mixed up: the one in Higurashi is "Frederica Bernkastel", which doesn't mean it IS Umineko Bernkastel. Theories usually span over the fact there are "3" Rika: The original Furude Rika, Frederica Bernkastel, the one who can travel between the kakera with the memories transfer.
And finally Bernkastel, the one "observing" in the Kakera World (third layer)... it is actually that "narrator" in any kakera world that says to "observe Furude Rika".

izmosmolnar 2009-06-25 06:17

Uhm. I apologize for confusing them, but she seemed mighty similar (see pic), and we don't see her introduced by name.
So basically Rika is Hanyuu's own great-great-great (x insert appropriate number) -daughter if I understand it correctly, right? The first female daughter among the consecutive 8 of the Furude daughters (while normally Rika is the 8th) is related to Ouka somehow somewhere in the past, and Ouka is Hanyuu's daughter.

But sorry for bringing that up again, but then why does Hanyuu has her horn, if she's an ordinary human. She is horned (not horny lol :heh: ) throughout the flashback in the desert (see pic).
I've always thought she is basically a different species altogether, but if she's a distant relative to even Rika, that proves she can even mix up with humans then. How come she has horns? (obligatory: I'd do her horn, if you know what I mean)

That stuff with the various Bernkastels are mighty confusing :/ . What exactly happens in the hospital-scene here then? And why is loli34's Bernkastel so different in appearance (I mean age-wise) than Umineko Bern? I can't make heads and tails out of that even if I try to think that there are 3 "Rikas"... Did I guessed it correctly in one of the previous examples or it's something completely else?

Klashikari 2009-06-25 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2470787)
Uhm. I apologize for confusing them, but she seemed mighty similar (see pic), and we don't see her introduced by name.
So basically Rika is Hanyuu's own great-great-great (x insert appropriate number) -daughter if I understand it correctly, right? The first female daughter among the consecutive 8 of the Furude daughters (while normally Rika is the 8th) is related to Ouka somehow somewhere in the past, and Ouka is Hanyuu's daughter.

There is no way to tell if they were lazy or so, but in Matsuri (PS2), Ouka looked exactly like Rika as well (except that Onigari no Ryuuou became a plain katana :heh:).
Yes, Hanyuu is basically the matriarch and ancestor of the Furude. That said, it seems that the generations didn't always turn into several consecutive girls, hence why Hanyuu had to wait thousand years for that.

Quote:

But sorry for bringing that up again, but then why does Hanyuu has her horn, if she's an ordinary human. She is horned (not horny lol :heh: ) throughout the flashback in the desert (see pic).
I've always thought she is basically a different species altogether, but if she's a distant relative to even Rika, that proves she can even mix up with humans then. How come she has horns? (obligatory: I'd do her horn, if you know what I mean)
No actually, Hanyuu really had the horns (malformations or supernatural stuff, hard to say) and she was considered as a demon god as result. Contemplating how humans were absolutely sinful, she went in distraught and decided to take all the sins.

This is also the reason why several veterans like Rias and me noted Hanyuu's chipped horn: this detail is by no mean "small", since it was Ouka who did that.

Quote:

That stuff with the various Bernkastels are mighty confusing :/ . What exactly happens in the hospital-scene here then? I can't make heads and tails out of that even if I try to think that there are 3 "Rikas"... Did I guessed it correctly in one of the previous examples or it's something completely else?
No, I cannot consider that as correct.

Frederica is basically the "collective consciousness" of all Rika who died and got their memories "stacked" after all the tragedies and tortures. However, at some point, Rika "became" Frederica after turning into a "being" totally different from the Human, Furude Rika: that the concept of death is not "unique" but multiple etc.

Gazing at the Kakera, Frederica became jaded and cynical which also "disconnected" her worries regarding one's death at some point, since "she has a reset button" even though she doesn't have much hope to begin with. This is where she considered herself like a "witch", as she is by no mean human, and "jack in" Furude Rika when she is transported in a new Kakera.
The one who says "I will stop this witch stuff" IS Frederica, or "all Rika" who wished not to abandon to their fate and fight on for the successful kakera. After what Rena said, Frederica realized that she almost tried to act like a god, abusing her powers and bothering "comparing" results while it isn't her job to do so: her job is to actually live to her fullest as human.

Therefore, since she is finally back to this world, she can stop considering herself like a god or a witch, thus this comment.

*cough* I should really make a long series of Higurashi Rei articles, but so little time for all of this, while Umineko is impendingly approaching... Dunno if it WILL worth the time.

Eryops 2009-06-25 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2470713)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klashikari (Post 2470755)
As for Bernkastel, they mixed up: the one in Higurashi is "Frederica Bernkastel", which doesn't mean it IS Umineko Bernkastel. Theories usually span over the fact there are "3" Rika: The original Furude Rika, Frederica Bernkastel, the one who can travel between the kakera with the memories transfer.
And finally Bernkastel, the one "observing" in the Kakera World (third layer)... it is actually that "narrator" in any kakera world that says to "observe Furude Rika".

I'd say that there are two Rikas/Berns after Rika decides to stop moving between worlds, as Bern diverges at that point, however what makes you think that the Bern from Umineko is different? I haven't seen any evidence pointing to that, so I think it's simpler to assume that they're the same being.

izmosmolnar 2009-06-25 09:14

Spoiler for episode4:

zetsumei 2009-06-25 10:04

Thanks Eryops, hmm, did Ni and Kai explains some of this is the anime...? If they did I completely don't recall anything. Given that it been a really long time since I watched both series and don't remember much of anything anymore...if they did explained it, I'd definitely have to go back and marathon both Ni and Kai.

izmosmolnar 2009-06-25 12:42

By the way the new desktop pet is out with the new episode.
This time it's just Satoko alone.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3585/55649964.jpg
Spoiler for Megaupload link:

I don't know whether she interacts with the others though. She didn't notice my other Higu desktop pets yet. (Albeit I'm hoping Rika might throw a chair at her)
Nothing is translated in that, but it's quite easy to figure out how the options are at least. I reckon probably Hanyuu will be the next one.

Ps: If it counts as a warez or something, just delete the link.

Eryops 2009-06-25 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2470973)
Spoiler for episode4:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetsumei (Post 2471032)
Thanks Eryops, hmm, did Ni and Kai explains some of this is the anime...? If they did I completely don't recall anything. Given that it been a really long time since I watched both series and don't remember much of anything anymore...if they did explained it, I'd definitely have to go back and marathon both Ni and Kai.

Are you referring to the information in this post? I mostly got it from the VNs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2471331)
I don't know whether she interacts with the others though. She didn't notice my other Higu desktop pets yet. (Albeit I'm hoping Rika might throw a chair at her)

The desktop pets don't interact with one another.

izmosmolnar 2009-06-25 13:08

Well you are probably right as they don't seem to be interested in each other :/ . I still haven't seen the one where Rena takes a Rika home though.

Klashikari 2009-06-25 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eryops (Post 2470889)
I'd say that there are two Rikas/Berns after Rika decides to stop moving between worlds, as Bern diverges at that point, however what makes you think that the Bern from Umineko is different? I haven't seen any evidence pointing to that, so I think it's simpler to assume that they're the same being.

It seems we are talking of the same thing except I added 1 extra Rika.
The one I see "stopping" moving between world is the one I call Frederica Bernkastel.
Furude Rika is the original Rika who is present in each world before being "overwritten" by Frederica.

Then we have the last one who emerged from all of this (and who is also narrating the Kakera scenes in the VN), who is Bernkastel, that entity which is the on present in Umineko, unless proved otherwise.

Simply put, the "higher bernkastel" left in the Kakera world "central" point is the third layer.

Archon_Wing 2009-06-25 17:47

Sniffle* So this is the end of the main story line? What a great way to end it. Some crazy philosophical stuff that doesn't end up being too pretentious. It ran very close to "moral of the day" but it did manage to avoid that.

Episode 3 left with one of the most difficult decisions in the series. Is it really ok to be selfish and go back to the world you wanted for at the cost of others? As Rika makes her decison, she begins to realize that Hanyuu was always there to help make her decisons. But this one, she must take responsibility, and take the risk of commuting a sin. Indeed, since Rika has spent the series as the innocent one, this totally flips the series over, as this entire arc already has.

But it is the hard choices that make the person and we are all the sum of our experiences, even if we don't want to be. It's just not a good idea to be constantly pursuing what-ifs constantly. Only with this realization, only can they truly move on with their lives and this is truly the end of Higurashi.
Spoiler:


10/10 for adding more insight to an already fascinating story.

Mercurius 2009-06-27 00:02

Question about the VN version of the chapter:
Spoiler for Rei:


And one more regarding Matsuribayashi-hen
Spoiler for Epilogue?:

Freelii 2009-06-27 01:16

If I remember correctly, in the final episode(s) of kai, Shion covered Satoko's ears and explained that Satoshi was still alive, but that Satoko wouldn't be able to handle the news due to Satoshi still being comatose.

In short, I think they are saying Satoshi is still "away from home" in order to protect Satoko's state of mind.

Liddo-kun 2009-06-27 10:07

Voted 10/10 without a second thought.

Hanyu made one last fix to Rika's life. :)
Things can finally end now.

After following Higurashi for more than 2 years, I'm glad it all ends this way.
Though it's a little sad, the next episode will be the last for Higurashi. Time to move on to Umineko I guess.... - but I will never forget the wonderful times I had following the story of Rika and her friends!

*listening to Superscription of data http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/7...inkusagi20.gif

typhonsentra 2009-06-27 10:13

Have they ever given a reason why they removed the portion of the story about the twins switching? It kinda made the run about their "Sin" not really make sense.

Marion 2009-06-27 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by typhonsentra (Post 2475596)
Have they ever given a reason why they removed the portion of the story about the twins switching? It kinda made the run about their "Sin" not really make sense.

Rei was directed by Toshifumi Kawase. Higurashi no Naku koro Ni (Kai) was directed by Chikai Kon. It's not Kawase's fault that Kon took out the part about the switch.

FooBar 2009-06-27 16:54

There's something I didn't quite understand during the entire Saikoroshi-hen arc:

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:

lovelysan 2009-06-27 17:23

Honestly, I think the twin-switch explanation was just cut for time and to simplify things a bit. Hell, even in the games, isn't the switch only mentioned in a "tip" at the end of their arc? (I'm not completely sure about this though, mind you.)

bigemperor 2009-06-27 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooBar (Post 2476217)
There's something I didn't quite understand during the entire Saikoroshi-hen arc:

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:

I have the same question =(

becky-chan 2009-06-27 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by izmosmolnar (Post 2471379)
Well you are probably right as they don't seem to be interested in each other :/ . I still haven't seen the one where Rena takes a Rika home though.

me neither,I'm dissapointed kinda because I wanted to see that happen.
anyway,when will there be subs of this episode?It looks really good..

sona-nyl 2009-06-28 01:52

This episode was great I cried at the end.
(the desk pets are funny I laughed when Mion and Shion started to kick each other and when Satoko started to look at the broccoli and the cauli flower.)

izmosmolnar 2009-06-28 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky-chan (Post 2476537)
anyway,when will there be subs of this episode?It looks really good..

There are softsubs linked here in that thread earlier ;) . They work with the HQ raw, and both the crappy quality leaked one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eryops (Post 2470604)
Here's a translation of episode 4. Just give this file the same name as the raw and place them in the same directory. I'd also suggest opening it and setting the font size from 20 to 30.


Ca12nag3 2009-06-28 04:00

Good episode tho i feel its rushed.
Spoiler for ep4 Rei:

Eryops 2009-06-28 04:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelysan (Post 2476262)
Honestly, I think the twin-switch explanation was just cut for time and to simplify things a bit. Hell, even in the games, isn't the switch only mentioned in a "tip" at the end of their arc? (I'm not completely sure about this though, mind you.)

The switch is implied in the anime. When Shion is torturing Satoko, their roles revert to back to their original ones. Mion speaks like Shion and calls Shion "onee-sama", while Shion speaks like Mion despite the fact that there's nobody there that might overhear them.

In the VN, the switch is mostly explained by Mion's diary, so the fact they cut that part out is understandable. If they simply revealed it at the end of Meakashi-hen, it would have seemed too sudden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FooBar (Post 2476217)
There's something I didn't quite understand during the entire Saikoroshi-hen arc:

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:

Hanyuu was corporeal when she and Rika spoke to Maebara Ichirou but incorporeal again afterwards. There's no reason to think she can't switch between the two states at will.

SnowSong 2009-06-28 19:22

Sniff... I thought that was rather beautiful, especially the parts about killing Rika's mother. Well, day break will be fun.

Hareoic 2009-06-28 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowSong (Post 2478463)
Sniff... I thought that was rather beautiful, especially the parts about killing Rika's mother. Well, day break will be fun.

Agreed, especially since
Spoiler for Preview:

Guardian Enzo 2009-06-28 21:54

Well, that was interesting and the moral dilemma compellingly presented. But boy, was it talky. I felt like I was attending a lecture.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.