AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Valvrave the Liberator (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Valvrave the Liberator - Character Discussion - L-Elf (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119672)

KleenexGhost 2013-11-07 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0de_da1sy (Post 4900599)
Also, Haruto isn't an ordinary high school student anymore. He's a soldier fighting in a war, in which he should know the consequences of. Also, Haruto has said (more than once) that he will bear this curse on his own, yet as soon as he finds out what happened to Marie he starts hesitating?

Actually that made sense to me. He saw what could be his eventual fate. If he continues to fight he runs the risk of becoming an empty husk. Put yourself in his situation.

MeggieMay 2013-11-07 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by KleenexGhost (Post 4900604)
Actually that made sense to me. He saw what could be his eventual fate. If he continues to fight he runs the risk of becoming an empty husk. Put yourself in his situation.

Also, for some of us our memories are very important part of what makes up our self. That may or may not be true for everyone, however. I understood Haruto fears here. I also think they were heightened because he was the last person to talk to Marie and he knows exactly what awaits him (thus his dream sequence). Haruto's never been the strongest candidate for a pilot, either, but he is one and he's having to learn to deal with it.

Now, I'm curious about the making new memories to replace old theory that Marie put forth. I think she might have been onto something crucial with that, even though she died. Marie's death doesn't disprove the theory - Marie simply went too far and too fast with what she was doing, plus she had a broken limiter. However, the idea you can rest up is a interesting one and I think L Elf is thinking about that as well.

KleenexGhost 2013-11-07 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeggieMay (Post 4900737)
Also, for some of us our memories are very important part of what makes up our self. That may or may not be true for everyone, however. I understood Haruto fears here. I also think they were heightened because he was the last person to talk to Marie and he knows exactly what awaits him (thus his dream sequence). Haruto's never been the strongest candidate for a pilot, either, but he is one and he's having to learn to deal with it.

Now, I'm curious about the making new memories to replace old theory that Marie put forth. I think she might have been onto something crucial with that, even though she died. Marie's death doesn't disprove the theory - Marie simply went too far and too fast with what she was doing, plus she had a broken limiter. However, the idea you can rest up is a interesting one and I think L Elf is thinking about that as well.

Right. We gotta be patient with Haruto. For him, it was like that scene in Supernatural when Dean's time was running out because he sold his soul. He saw a vision of himself and the vision told him "You're gonna die, Dean! This is what's in store for you! This is what you'll become!"

As for making new memories to replace the old ones. It sounds like it could work. By making new memories to replace the old ones it would balance things out.

DevilHighDxD 2013-11-07 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeggieMay (Post 4900737)

Well living forever is equal to making infinite of amount of memory, I think the JIORian scientist take this into account when designing their own Magius. They add in a extra feature to make Valvrave's pilot immortal so that they will living long and make a lot of memory to used as a fuel for Valvrave.

~BC~ 2013-11-07 22:05

My pity for L-Elf is minimal precisely because he's intent on keeping shit to himself. He's really no better than Haruto.

Quote:

Also, Haruto isn't an ordinary high school student anymore. He's a soldier fighting in a war, in which he should know the consequences of. Also, Haruto has said (more than once) that he will bear this curse on his own, yet as soon as he finds out what happened to Marie he starts hesitating?
A few weeks of boot camp does not a soldier make. Also remember his idea of consequences were quite different from that of a normal human up until Marie died. And even now, he's been told that it's going to be a slow process with him losing his sense of self along the way. That's not something L-Elf could possibly train him for.

Getting back to L-Elf, I have to wonder if we haven't been seeing the effects of rune loss on him these last few episodes. There were a few minor things he didn't account for that had pretty big consequences (and it wasn't done in a way that it can be construed as intentional). I'm also not surprised he was willing to accept the consequences of rune loss so easily. The guy has a pretty big ego when you get down to it. There's also bound to be much he'd rather not remember.

MeggieMay 2013-11-07 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD (Post 4900749)
Well living forever is equal to making infinite of amount of memory, I think the JIORian scientist take this into account when designing their own Magius. They add in a extra feature to make Valvrave's pilot immortal so that they will living long and make a lot of memory to used as a fuel for Valvrave.

Yet they will start forgetting their pasts after while and thus their connections to each other. At least in theory. It is most likely why they are so big on telling the young prince in the future the history of their Empire and is starting to make Saki's speech to her locket even more important meaning. The pilots really are likely to forget promises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BC~ (Post 4900776)
Getting back to L-Elf, I have to wonder if we haven't been seeing the effects of rune loss on him these last few episodes. There were a few minor things he didn't account for that had pretty big consequences (and it wasn't done in a way that it can be construed as intentional). I'm also not surprised he was willing to accept the consequences of rune loss so easily. The guy has a pretty big ego when you get down to it. There's also bound to be much he'd rather not remember.

Well he could also be making these mistakes because he let down his guard/not in direct threat of having to be on target all the time or risk death from his squad. Still, you bring up a good point here. L Elf's a regular human - he could be losing memories faster than anyone this side of Marie. He has just got to talk Haruto into eating off others sooner than later. Still, does eating other Valvrave pilots runes work as well for feeding Pino as eating non pilots? Better yet, sex - how does that fit into things? That event in Ep 9 had better not just be forgotten at this point and seeing Pino seemed to instigate that, it should play into things more than she's stated at this point (most likely Pino hasn't thought to mention it yet - she seems to be a bit scrambled on her language skills at this point and I have a feeling she's not going to answer questions unless directly asked anyway).

Destined_Fate 2013-11-08 01:35

Well you burn off a lot of energy during sex so....

Haruto having sex and biting Saki during it should lead to more runes.

Maybe.

Or Pino just wanted to know what sex would feel like between two pilots.

It's an interesting theory if being fed on constantly by Haruto in a short time period has negatively effected L-Elf in ways he doesn't even know of.

Irenesharda 2013-11-08 03:02

My theory is, that because the loss of memory is connected to you being a pilot of the Valvrave and not to you being a Magius, anyone who became one would live perfectly fine for eternity. However, the mechs themselves are what drains you. Future Saki we see still battling in one fine 200+ years from now, but we can tell it has been changed over the years. What if, they were able to correct this design flaw with the Valvraves later on, and they no longer have the drainage problem in the future?

As for L-elf, I didn't really feel sorry for him in that scene. It's my theory that his emotion started to crack through because he was at his wit's end trying to deal with Haruto. :heh:
I really think that was all an indication that L-elf will become a pilot later on. They've shown all the obstacles he faces, and usually they only do that if they later will show him overcoming them. We still have two pilots missing from the 7, and the more I think about it, the more I'm sure it will be L-elf and one of the Dorssian boys. And as much as I love H-neun, I have a feeling that it's going to A-drei.

Fjoergyn 2013-11-08 09:01

I think L-Elf needs soon learn the truth about the princess, he needs a new reason to live other than just her. His reaction will be explosive because their efforts are in vain but will see it will be a good way to wake up the boy from his suicidal state and learn to love being alive.

This chapter was frustrated and angry because Haruto only cares about the same. It is ironic that although L-Elf sees them as tools take into account the feelings of others. Remember not yet fully understood his past and that both suffered after the death of his parents, haruto well so far has not bothered to ask your story, but for many it is easier to treat the ruthless murder.

Irenesharda 2013-11-08 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fjoergyn (Post 4901298)
I think L-Elf needs soon learn the truth about the princess, he needs a new reason to live other than just her. His reaction will be explosive because their efforts are in vain but will see it will be a good way to wake up the boy from his suicidal state and learn to love being alive.

That depends on what the truth regarding the princess really is. If they were going to reveal her as the big bad, they would have waited and not shown you on her very first real appearance. To me, that smells of red herring, and that they want you to think she's bad when she's not. We know she's wrapped up with the Magius and she probably knows all about them, but we have yet to know what her allegiances or intentions are.

Fjoergyn 2013-11-08 09:45

It is true we do not know its history, but what is sought is that the L-11 understand that the princess is not the basis for its existence, is too obsessed with half your life, if you look good more than an act of goodness seems that he sees it as something that only the pain. I see important to know who was L-Elf before fleeing or who suffered and whether the death of his parents caused an impact or said something before fleeing. know what type of abuse suffered in academia or in your training, plus remember he feels strong rancor toward Cain and should be for something.

Kurohane 2013-11-11 16:34

I'm really looking forward to knowing more about L-elf. So far, we've been shown him at his usual. We won't see any major revelations until the second half of the season the way events are going. Also, even though he's mostly unfeeling, he doesn't really attempt to be ruthless unless his hand's been forced.

He set up the rotating pilot system as a means to extend pilot life, but it carried risk as well. This plan could have created team dissent with clearly everyone not being okay with being turned into a magius and the fact the secret would eventually get out this way, especially to those still normal. This goes against his earlier attempt to silence Marie with the thought, the less people know the better. Clearly, despite saying it so casually, he clearly was desperate with the options he was left with, considering Haruto was averse to piloting at this time. It was until Haruto slapped on some resolve that L-elf decided it wasn't necessary anymore. Really, the risks outweighed the benefits in that plan.

Also, despite being passive about ditching his teammates, it doesn't mean he has conflicting feelings. He just isn't showing them. Remember, L-elf was deemed a traitor after Haruto body-jacked his body the first time, only to learn about it later when he was in the Valvrave, and even then he was saying surrender. Also, he was freaked out at all the bizarre things he's being told and witnessed: "Why are you still alive?", "I've become a traitor? Me!?", and "Why would I shoot A-drei?". Considering the circumstances, he was forced to adopt a new plan, because in a logical sense his teammates or country wouldn't welcome him back, in fact it goes against the rules he was taught, and he didn't expect Cain to give him leeway. After comparing the detriments and benefits, he determined he could actually accomplish what he set out to do earlier by staying in the module. He didn't have to necessarily throw away his connections to Karlstein, because he was already a traitor to them. Even when A-drei said he could come back in episode 7, there's no way he could back out now after deciding on another path, especially if it lead to his goal faster.

Even when fighting them, he actually hasn't gone out of his way to have his old teammates killed. Every time, he's avoided killing his old teammates leaving us to speculate some attachment. He specifically told Haruto to aim at the launcher, not destroy H-neun's Ideal in episode 7. He kicked A-drei and Q-vier out of the module in the same episode using the spikes that hold the machines. You could say he wasn't trying to kill X-eins when crashing their air crafts in episode 8. While he may not hold friendship for any of them, it doesn't mean he'll kill them even when he doesn't have to.

There is a human side to him. With his childhood, it's usually repressed. However, there is one person he clearly won't let go of, and that is Lieselotte. Their history is a complete mystery. We only have that one encounter before the Fuehrer took over. However, that can't be all. You know there has to be more, when he's comfortable saying her actual name at the end of the first episode. L-elf didn't refer to her as ojou-sama, hime-sama or even Lieselotte-hime, no, just Lieselotte, depicting an intimate close bond. How it got to be where he can refer to her like that? I'm interested to know.

c0de_da1sy 2013-11-23 16:31

You know, I'm surprised no one's been discussing L-elf here (in this thread) considering what happened this episode.

I wonder what'll happen to him now that Lieselotte's gone. He'll either be revenge-filled or try to carry out what she wanted: the co-existence of Magius (or Kamitsuki)/humans.
I, for one, can see him wanting the co-existence between the Kamitsuki/humans, but not without wanting to get rid of Cain and possibly other Magius that share his ideology. That is, if the endings this season are anything to go off of since in both of them it's L-elf .vs. Cain.

~BC~ 2013-11-23 16:54

Even without the ending imagery L-Elf is going to have to go up against Cain one way or another. The man referred to him as his "greatest creation" for a reason so I doubt he's through with trying to get him back. I think if this really is the last season then L-Elf trying to make Lieselotte's dream a reality seems the obvious route for him to go. I think a revenge focused arc would work better if there's going to be another season and they could show us the no doubt negative ramifications of that.

Outside of that, I found the truth about L-elf's relation to Lieselotte quite interesting. I mean it confirmed what I (and quite a few others) suspected. He really didn't know her and the whole thing represents that even with his horrible upbringing in Karlstein there's still a part of him that's very much a child (Lieselotte's response to his confession was very fitting). Still, there was potential there had she survived to explore the idea of love and I think that was ultimately the point of their story. Magius can learn to relate to humans so there is hope for a proper dialogue between the two species in the future. I'm interested to see how L-Elf takes the news of Lieselotte's real nature. I'm pretty sure his fantasies about what it'd be like to be with her didn't include a centuries old spirit alien.

Irenesharda 2013-11-23 17:03

Actually, I'm expecting for L-elf to hold in a lot of his pain. I don't think he's going to be moping for too long, he's not going to turn into Haruto. He's one of those who will probably suffer in brooding silence. Remember all that mental conditioning A-drei mentioned, I think he'll probably employ that.

He's lost so much in his life, actually, pretty much everything now. And yet he's still gone on. I'm not sure if this will be the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's going to need to deal with this some how in someway. But he will probably do it by himself. He's got to heal after being shot, stabbed, other injuries, so he'll probably try to deal with things then. Haruto looks like he's talking to a locked door in the preview so I'm expecting that's where L-elf is holding up.

Haruto will probably tell him what Lieselotte said about the Magius and he will probably try to carry on her wish for her. Hopefully Haruto, Shoko, and Satomi can keep up everything in his absence.

Also, do you think the Karlstein grads hold some form of honor code amongst each other? Q-vier challenges L-elf to a knife fight, and instead of shooting him, which would be the less honorable bur more efficient choice, L-elf puts away his gun and takes out his knife and fights him. And neither of them go for underhanded moves that could have ended to fight and killed the other person even though both could do so. They fought fair and square.
I was honestly waiting for the moment when Q-vier would make the cowardly move and strike at Lise, but he never does so even when he sees she's distracting L-elf.
All this makes me think that perhaps the Karlstein boys hold some sort of honor pact with each other to some degree.

c0de_da1sy 2013-11-23 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irenesharda (Post 4919520)
Actually, I'm expecting for L-elf to hold in a lot of his pain. I don't think he's going to be moping for too long, he's not going to turn into Haruto. He's one of those who will probably suffer in brooding silence. Remember all that mental conditioning A-drei mentioned, I think he'll probably employ that.

He's lost so much in his life, actually, pretty much everything now. And yet he's still gone on. I'm not sure if this will be the straw that broke the camel's back, but he's going to need to deal with this some how in someway. But he will probably do it by himself. He's got to heal after being shot, stabbed, other injuries, so he'll probably try to deal with things then. Haruto looks like he's talking to a locked door in the preview so I'm expecting that's where L-elf is holding up.

Haruto will probably tell him what Lieselotte said about the Magius and he will probably try to carry on her wish for her. Hopefully Haruto, Shoko, and Satomi can keep up everything in his absence.

Also, do you think the Karlstein grads hold some form of honor code amongst each other? Q-vier challenges L-elf to a knife fight, and instead of shooting him, which would be the less honorable bur more efficient choice, L-elf puts away his gun and takes out his knife and fights him. And neither of them go for underhanded moves that could have ended to fight and killed the other person even though both could do so. They fought fair and square.
I was honestly waiting for the moment when Q-vier would make the cowardly move and strike at Lise, but he never does so even when he sees she's distracting L-elf.
All this makes me think that perhaps the Karlstein boys hold some sort of honor pact with each other to some degree.

A lot of people keep saying that Haruto and/or Shoko will be the one(s) to pick up broken L-elf, but I don't feel like that will be completely the case. I think that Haruto will tell L-elf what Lieselotte said, but then L-elf himself will be the one to make changes/reach some sort of epiphany himself. I also agree that he'll keep his feelings bottled up inside, since that's the sort of thing he's been taught to do since young.
I'm actually expecting Kibukawa to be the first one to have a small talk with L-elf, since he's most likely going to be the one to be treating him.

I was honestly surprised that Q-vier didn't try to attack Lieselotte, and was instead angry that L-elf wasn't taking him seriously. Maybe after the incident with their former Royalist teammate, they made a vow that if any of them were to be killed it would be by their hand.

On another note, I would have liked to see L-elf's reaction when Q-vier told him that H-neun turned "traitor". Also, it was nice to see that there are other students that trust L-elf, primarily the best example would be Satomi.

DevilHighDxD 2013-11-23 17:53

Every time when L-elf is near Lise, he always out of his normal character behaving :D and the "Laugh at me if you would" part is just sooo cute unlike the normal L-elf we know. If he is defrosted, hopefully he will dropped his coldness more and be more warmer.

~BC~ 2013-11-23 18:01

Quote:

L-Elf's mental control goes out the window where Lieselotte is concerned. I could see him holding things in but I could see him just letting things out once he's locked himself away from the others.

I don't get what could possibly be honorable about choosing a knife fight over simply shooting your enemy. This is war and there's a reason such things get laughed at in this day and age. Even as an old code between Karlstein graduates it really doesn't make any sense especially because Lieselotte was right there. L-Elf finally found himself in a position where he had to choose between two things he cared about and in the end he was spared having to choose by Haruto's timely arrival (oddly enough). It still cost him in the end though.

KleenexGhost 2013-11-23 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BC~ (Post 4919565)
L-Elf's mental control goes out the window where Lieselotte is concerned. I could see him holding things in but I could see him just letting things out once he's locked himself away from the others.

I don't get what could possibly be honorable about choosing a knife fight over simply shooting your enemy. This is war and there's a reason such things get laughed at in this day and age. Even as an old code between Karlstein graduates it really doesn't make any sense especially because Lieselotte was right there. L-Elf finally found himself in a position where he had to choose between two things he cared about and in the end he was spared having to choose by Haruto's timely arrival (oddly enough). It still cost him in the end though.

Looks like L-Elf should have watched Raiders of the Lost Arc. When I saw him oblige Q-Vier and actually start knife fighting with him I yelled "Really, dude?! Have a sense of urgency and shoot this clown!" I know it was done to make L-Elf look badass and dramatic but come on now.

~BC~ 2013-11-23 18:16

I have long resigned myself to turning off most logic where L-Elf action scenes are concerned. Even if I pretend Q-Vier would be honorable enough not to take a pot shot at Lieselotte, there's still the issue of her being grabbed during the excitement.