AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Stories where the protagonist repeatedly travels back in time (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=155418)

0cean 2020-06-30 05:45

Stories where the protagonist repeatedly travels back in time

Like in Re:Zero or Reverend Insanity and to some degree even Higurashi.

I'm looking for stories where the hero gets the chance to relive and make different choices. Visual Novels usually offer this in form of different routes, but I want the protagonist to be aware of his rebirth so he can use accumulated knowledge to his advantage.

Maybe even in the form of a game, where you have to move forward and discover things only to then be able to redo things, but differently. (No, not the NewGame+ thing some titles offer)
I'm limited to Linux and thus emulating rather old games, though.

Doesn't matter if it's an anime, a manga or a novel, but it'd be nice if it was already completed or offered at least a couple of hundred chapters, so I'm not left hanging after reading for a day.

Rinvelt 2020-06-30 05:54

Summer Time Rendering is pretty nice.

Saike Mata Shite mo too, to a certain extent.

Haak 2020-06-30 06:24

Can I assume that you have already seen Steins Gate?

For manga I recommend Tokyo Revengers. It's kinda like Erased but with delinquent gangs.

For the more straightforward superpower variety, there also Psyche Once Again which is of the ReZero/All You Need Is Kill kind of constant death and do-over suffering.

Unfortunately, none of these are complete but they do have plenty of chapters already.

SeijiSensei 2020-06-30 07:46

Boku dake ga Inai Machi ("ERASED")

0cean 2020-06-30 13:15

Yes, I've seen pretty much every anime older than 2015. I didn't enjoy Steins;Gate, which is why it didn't came to mind when thinking of examples. I feel it had trouble with the pacing. Also, I wasn't a fan of the struggle with the inevitability of certain events, that took basically the whole anime to overcome. I'm looking for something where the protagonist can change things to his advantage because of his rebirth, moves on and then eventually rebirths to change things to his advantage again, but in a different time then his previous rebirth.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi is already on my list, but I haven't been in the mood for it. Looks too depressing.
I'll take a look at the other three manga.

SeijiSensei 2020-06-30 15:50

ERASED is sad, but I wouldn't call it depressing.

0cean 2020-07-03 07:54

So I've read all those three Manga, but wasn't very impressed with either of them. The one with the pond and the one with the delinquents just kind of devolved into fighting shounens/battle manga, which was lame and the one with the island had an idiot protagonist.

Instead, I discovered FFF Class Trashero on my own, which was really enjoyable, since the hero is twisted. He doesn't go back in time due to his own wishes, but, eh~, I can deal with that.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi looks depressing, I don't know whether that's true, haven't watched it yet, since the screenshots instil a kind of hopeless atmosphere. Currently, I'm in the mood for uplifting stories about evil characters getting away with their twistedness and living a free live unbound by obligations and relationships.

Nivek von Beldo 2020-07-03 22:06

Madoka....trust me

0cean 2020-07-04 04:39

Madoka was released prior to 2015, thus I already watched it. Didn't enjoy it, though, the third movie was alright. Basically the only character I liked was Kyuubei or what is name was. All the girls were insufferable.

Last Sinner 2020-07-04 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0cean (Post 6427059)
Boku dake ga Inai Machi looks depressing, I don't know whether that's true, haven't watched it yet, since the screenshots instil a kind of hopeless atmosphere.

Say what....

That title is one of the most uplifting things I've read in years. Hopeless? If anything it's optimistic within relatively realistic restrictions. Certainly, a fair amount of things go wrong. But the endurance of the main characters, the motivations for them to change/persist - they were inspiring and refreshing.

That said, if you want it to be worthwhile in full, I'd recommend the manga and to avoid the anime. While a good chunk of it was adapted well, the final part was a clown fiesta since they did their own thing.

0cean 2020-07-04 07:39

Boku dake ga Inai Machi screenshots are giving me similar vibes to Kokkoku, Shinsekai yori, AnoHana, True Tears and Koe no Katachi. All of which I found to be deeply depressing, if not outright disturbing.

Also Shiki, but Shiki never quite felt depressing, only somewhat hopeless. It also had such a refreshing and happy last few episodes that all was forgiven.

Last Sinner 2020-07-04 08:04

Okay....let me just say it is nothing like those titles....at all....it definitely isn't hopeless. It isn't depressing. If anything, the character relationships between core characters are very heartwarming and some of the most earnest I've seen in the last decade.

It's up to you what you decide. But I do have to state that it is nothing like the titles you're getting the vibes of. For the record, Koe no Katachi is the only one on that list I like, so I kind of get where you're coming from.

0cean 2020-07-04 11:25

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll go for it after finishing my Monogatari series rewatch.

AnimeFangirl 2020-07-05 05:32

Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon.

0cean 2020-07-05 13:47

Yeah, that one was really fun. It's among the ones I'm patiently waiting for new chapters. Just like with A Returners Magic should be special, Volcanic Age and The Scholar's Reincarnation, though those three aren't matching what I'm looking for here as closely, they were still a lot of fun while they lasted. Now they're part of the I-have-to-wait-for-new-chapters-which-isn't-fun list.

AnimeFangirl 2020-07-07 19:33

On the plus side, I hear raws for Skeleton Soldier are out past chapter 100, so if the scanlation group picks up speed, they could have a more frequent release schedule. I love it when a series gets daily releases until they catch up with the raw.

BWTraveller 2020-07-12 14:31

Not an anime, but I found out about a live-action series called "Propose Daisakusen" that fits the bill. Found out about it through the theme song "Chiisana Koi no Uta". The story starts with the hero going to his childhood friend's wedding while filled with regret that he'd never had the guts to tell her how he felt and wondering whether, if things had been different, he might be the one standing next to her today. Some sort of fairy that lives in the church takes pity on him and gives him a way to go back in time and relive various moments between the two of them in order to change things. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a way to watch it. Is it not streamed on any service or licensed for American distribution?

AnimeFangirl 2020-07-13 15:57

I've heard about that drama. It's pretty famous. How did it end? (spoilers welcome)

BWTraveller 2020-07-13 16:36

Spoiler:

AnimeFangirl 2020-07-14 08:49

Interesting. I'd be tempted to watch the first two and last two episodes
Spoiler for spoiler: