AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Cyberpunk: Edgerunners [Netflix] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=155406)

Stark700 2020-06-25 11:15

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners [Netflix]

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime announced, an original series by studio Trigger. It tells an all-new story set in CDProject Red's Cyberpunk universe.

Announcement video:

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/stat...86733608984577

Tokkan 2020-06-25 11:22

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/35...nk-edgerunners

Director: Hiroyuki Imaishi
Assistant Director: Masahiko Otsuka
Creative Director: Hiromi Wakabayashi
Character Designs: Yoh Yoshinari and Yuto Kaneko
Screenplay: Yoshiki Usa and Masahiko Otsuka
Soundtrack: Akira Yamaoka

It will be 10 episodes long.

Sheba 2020-06-25 20:07

Tabletop players of the 80s/90s didnt dare to dream of that. Because yes, it must be repeated that Cyberpunk RPG was originally a tabletop RPG by Mike Pondsmith. Of course, it have been overshadowed a bit by the more exotic Shadowrun. But the point is that, none of those who played Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Vampire, Mutant Chronicles or Warhammer 40000 (to name a few) would have dared to see their favorite universe in anime.

videoman190 2020-12-10 20:53

If they decide to set the anime in Japan in the official summary it mentions they have their own poblems to deal with including Asia, Europe, and other parts in the world. The game could show what happened in other countries during the war.

Stark700 2022-06-08 18:49

Coming September 2022.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/st...82438353440769

Frontier 2022-06-09 12:07

This will be worth it just for Trigger :).

frubam 2022-09-10 11:45

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
That is one catchy trailer =0o... Sept 13 release.

nojay 2022-09-10 16:40

That's so Trigger it's almost self-parody. Needs more explosions though.

serenade_beta 2022-09-10 23:19

*sees title*
Oh boy, one of those Western companies is using Japanese resources to make anime the Japanese won't watch again

*goes into thread*
Oh great! They are wasting Trigger too! Brilliant! Why couldn't they have hired Samidare's NAZ instead

Frontier 2022-09-11 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 6523663)
*sees title*
Oh boy, one of those Western companies is using Japanese resources to make anime the Japanese won't watch again

*goes into thread*
Oh great! They are wasting Trigger too! Brilliant! Why couldn't they have hired Samidare's NAZ instead

I mean, it definitely looks like Trigger is making the most out of the concept :heh:.

Helius 2022-09-13 07:47

Netflix aside, the fact that their vast resources can afford a studio to crank out a whole season's worth of anime has made me wonder if Netflix is actually a more reliable production partner for anime studios over production committees, especially if you're not beholden to having to secure broadcast slots from terrestrial networks that more often than not forces studios to adhere to strict deadlines that just as often turn into disasters when delays inevitably occur either from inadequate management or other extenuating reasons, like what'd happened to scores of projects over the years, like what's happening to Isekai Uncle right now, for instance.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2022-09-13 13:35

I heard some good reviews on Edgerunners:

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
So looks like Trigger did it again.

ryllharu 2022-09-13 14:27

I watched the first three, and really liked it so far.

Ragashingo 2022-09-13 14:40

I’m 5 or 6 in. Very good, so far. Probably won’t beat Kill la Kill as my favorite, but it’s a very strong showing. Best portrayal of Cyberpunk 2077. Better than the game, I think! :)

Nachtwandler 2022-09-13 19:20

I watched two episodes for now. The plot is pretty straightforward but all other parts are good.

stray 2022-09-14 12:05

I'm so confused that Aoi Yuuki plays Lucy... only about halfway through so I'll see how the second half plays out.

ryllharu 2022-09-14 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stray (Post 6523920)
I'm so confused that Aoi Yuuki plays Lucy... only about halfway through so I'll see how the second half plays out.

Because she's neither energetic, wavering timid, gruff, nor shrill like she has been specializing in for the past several years?

When is the last time we've heard her in a cool, mature, charming role? Maybe only in FGO?

stray 2022-09-14 17:53

I could never get into FGO so I have not heard this other Aoi Yuki mature role. I thought there was some mix up with Becca's seiyuu but I know and like Becca's seiyuu from her roles as Swindler and Ringo among others. Anyway I wouldn't mind hearing more of her mature voice. And speaking of Rebecca she is somehow simultaneously best girl and best bro in the end. Those hands though... :uhoh:

Series as a whole was a solid 8 or so, makes me feel a bit better about preordering 2077 on launch. Maybe I should go back to the game someday...

ryllharu 2022-09-14 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by stray (Post 6523968)
I could never get into FGO so I have not heard this other Aoi Yuki mature role.

I'll be honest, I don't play it at all either. I was struggling to find any role where Yuuki Aoi portrayed a character like this. Certainly not in anime that I've seen.

I really enjoy her performance in this. A depth, range, and maturity we normally never hear from her characters.

frubam 2022-09-15 09:22

5 episodes in. Pretty enjoyable thus far. As someone who's never played the game, I felt like playing the game would make the initial episode experience a bit better, because it felt like there was some general knowledge a game player would have to understand the world easier. Like, I know I'm not the most attentive person around(require multiple views to grasp a story), but so far in, I couldn't tell you what an Edgerunner actually is, which I'm sure if you played the game, you'd already know.

Nonetheless, the visuals are great. Trigger doing Trigger things with no restrictions, so blood, nudity, etc.; all come out in full force. Makes me feel that Trigger was probably one of the best studios to bring this world to life. The soundtrack is really good; some of the tracks brought out the FLCL vibes for me. The story is a bit here-and-there for me though. I know what their intentions are, but I feel that the story didn't really tell me why they are doing what they are doing. Not sure if its because they didn't explain it, or if I am just being inattentive. Nonetheless, there's a certain maturity I really appreciate from this series. Not just because it has nudity, blood, sex or whatever, but the way the relationships are built up between the MC and the crew and not glorifying deaths are just very well done concepts, and the avoidance of typical anime tropes really give this a more western feel, as it should, since its based on a western game.

Most annoying thing is actually the subtitles. Hate subs that just mimic the eng language dub instead of being an actual translation. Nothing new for Netflix, but still, its annoying to hear one thing, then subs say something different.