AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which Series Do you plan on buying because you saw it on fan sub and love it? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25167)

strategos 2004-12-12 19:53

Which Series Do you plan on buying because you saw it on fan sub and love it?

If it werent for Fansub i wouldnt be buying this dvd of this great series.
After seeing them I want to own them. Fans sub has been the key to bringing anime to America. Well this is my list of the Dvd I will buy or have bought
*Trigun
*YU-Yu Hakusho
*Gundam Seed
*Samurai CHamploo
*Samurai 7
*Tenjou Tenge
*Witch Hunter Robin
*Wolf Rain
*Dai Guard
*Shin Getter Robo Armagedon
*Shin Getter Robo 2004
*Every Series of Hack//sign
*Every Dvd of Gundam
*Last Exile
*Rahxephon
*Rahxephon Movie
*Argento Zoma
*Inuyasha
*Full Metal Alchemist
*Initial D series
*GTO
*School Rumble
*Genshiken
*Cowboy Bebop
*Final Fantasy Unlimited
*Kenshin with OVA
*Ghost in the Shell
*Zoids(all three series)
*Rave Master

thank you fan sub because of you am planning on getting this great series
good thing there is extra hour work for extra pay time :heh:
at l;east i got some of those. planning on getting them all^^
which series would you like to buy thanks when it get to the USA after seeing the fan sub version

7thMethuselah 2004-12-12 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by microlith
Looking at this list, it makes me think true fansubbing is dead.

It used to be done to generate interest for a series so that it would be licensed and released. Now it's all about watching a show without paying for it.

Manny of those shows were licensed before they even aired so it wasn't necessary, thus highlighting my point.

You certainly got a point there. Fansubbing seems to be heading down the warez path.
Well I won't be giving a long list of all the DVD's i intend to buy or own, since it's rather pointless. Let me just say which ones are at the top of my list right now.

Stellvia ot Universe : bought first one (with artbox :) ) last week
SaiKano : I finally ordered the entire series this week, I've had the manga for a long time but somehow another anime always got priority.
Kino no Tabi : looked interesting, was a buy without preview, and I liked it, remaining DVD's will have to wait untill after X-mas, X-mas is expensive enough as it is.
Apart from those : Ghost in the Shell SAC is currently top of the list, and is scheduled for january :D

arias 2004-12-12 20:43

I hate side comments about the downfall of fansubbing. Just answer the damn topic.

Haibane Renmei. Work of art, beautiful, amazing.

As for non-tv series; I'll definitely buy all the Ghibli animation DVDs. Disappointed at the delay of Totoro though.

Maybe Evangelion, but I need to watch it again.

Genshiken, when it's released.

strategos 2004-12-12 21:18

thank you arias
I forgot about Evangelion and Haibane Renmei.
those two must be also in my list ^^
but most on my list when i watch them werent aired on tv, i just saw them thru fan sub. not everyone that download fansub doesnt buy the anime. those are few people that dont buy the anime. there are more people that buy the anime after seeing in fan sub, becuase they loved it and want to have the dvd version because they cant live with out that series.
there are many people that like first seeing the fan sub version in other to decided how good is the series. and any after seeing the series buy the dvd whn it get on dvd on america. only few people doesnt buy the dvd after it got release. those people who do that arent real anime fans :frustrated:
btw arias if u plan to buy evagelion
please wait until the directors cut version gets on dvd.

Kamui4356 2004-12-12 21:18

I have a feeling this thread will be closed since it seems to only be here to generate lists. Still I see the purpose of the lists is to see if fansubbing actually helps sales, so it does have a point. Well it's up to the mods so whatever.
anyway
series that I saw fansubbed that I have bought or am buying:
excel saga- I saw slow as hell anime's fansub on vhs.
kare kano- another series I saw first on vhs fansubs, though I only saw a few episodes. I still need the last 2 dvds though.
Initial d - the first series I downloaded. The only problems with tp's release are; the subtitles are generally poor, so I end up watching it raw. and the tricked out version is generally pointless and wasting disk space that could be used for a higher episode count.
Azumanga daioh- even though I'm buying it I haven't actually watched my azu dvds yet :heh:
Nadesico movie - I downloaded the fansub since adv was taking so long with it. I still bought it the very first day as I'm a huge nadesico fan
Tsukihime-I even got the first volume a week and a half earily. Now I have to start checking everyday for vol 2 :heh:
End of Evangelionbasicly the same reasons as the nadesico movie

series I plan to buy that I have seen fansubbed
Stellvia - lack of money is making me wait for a cheaper boxset
Fma- Like stellvia, I'm going to wait for the box set
Da Capo- someone license this already :frustrated:
Scrapped princess- this is licenced right? I haven't heard anything on it in a while
Hikaru no Go-come on Viz, we all know you have the rights to it whenever you want. All you have to do is sign a contract and you can start taking my money.
KGNE-see da capo
Kanon- see kgne
Genshiken see kanon
edit: Konomini- I'm surprised this one isn't licensed yet. Most anime fans know the name gainax and will buy an anime solely on name recognition.
edit2: Kannazuki no Miko- just decided on this one. I'm sure I won't have to wait that long for this one to be licensed though
edit3: ROD tv I completely forgot about this one until ranko posted about it. Actually, I'm not going to buy it myself, but I have a very strong feeling I'll get at least vol 1 and 2 for christmas.

Series I've seen fansubbed that I haven't decided whether or not to buy
Star Ocean ex- on one hand, this series really sucks. One the other hand I'm a huge fan of the games and feel a need to buy anything released with the name star ocean on it. :heh:
Of course there are other series I planned on buying that I've seen fansubbed, but I can't remember which ones they are right now.

7thMethuselah 2004-12-12 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Tsukihime-I even got the first volume a week and a half earily. Now I have to start checking everyday for vol 2 :heh:

The second DVD is scheduled for 29th of december :) A late X-mas present :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Stellvia - lack of money is making me wait for a cheaper boxset

Well that might take a while, since the last DVD is set to be released in december 2005, so a box set would be in 2006 at the earliest. DVD 1 is allready out, nr 2 is for this week, the 3rd is in february and then bi-monthly.

Elfir 2004-12-12 21:27

Bought
* Kare Kano (saw it myself, bought it for my sister-in-law)
* CardCaptor Sakura movie 1

Will buy:
* Princess Tutu
* Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
* CardCaptor Sakura movie 2 (if I ever get that far. I'm at 4 disks out of 20)

If it gets licensed:
* Full Moon
* Yakitate Japan (at least as far as the series remains fresh. If it turns Inu-Yasha, I cut it short)
* Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
* Ashita no Nadja

I've only been watching fansubs for about a year so my list isn't long.

Kamui4356 2004-12-12 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
The second DVD is scheduled for 29th of december :) A late X-mas present :p

Well that might take a while, since the last DVD is set to be released in december 2005, so a box set would be in 2006 at the earliest. DVD 1 is allready out, nr 2 is for this week, the 3rd is in february and then bi-monthly.

Yeah, but some stores don't pay attention to release dates and put stuff out as soon as they get it in. I've been able to get a lot of anime earily because of that. :)

Hmm 2006 for the box, and probably late 2006 at that... That's kind of a long wait, but unfortuantly my car payment is cutting into money I would otherwise spend on anime. One or two dvds a month is about all I can afford right now. :sad: Well If my financial situation improves, I'll certainly buy it sooner.

strategos 2004-12-12 21:43

lol how could i forget
Full metal panic (first and second)
Nadesico, now this series rocks
Nadesico movie
Jubey ( the nija girl, first and second season) the one from bandai
what else :hmm: still need time to remember all you know is a long list
lol

I really need to start working overtime if not wont get this cool series
some of them I will wiat untiul they get on box set
Other I can wait until I get it
I like to see the cool drawings inside each dvd box ^^.
Also some series are too much too wait for the dvd box collection
Full metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo

Indeed this two of many great series sub by fan subbers

edit: Oh yeah Hikaru no go

Mr_Paper 2004-12-12 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by strategos
If it werent for Fansub i wouldnt be buying this dvd of this great series.
After seeing them I want to own them. Fans sub has been the key to bringing anime to America. Well this is my list of the Dvd I will buy or have bought

<list>

thank you fan sub because of you am planning on getting this great series
good thing there is extra hour work for extra pay time :heh:
at l;east i got some of those. planning on getting them all^^
which series would you like to buy thanks when it get to the USA after seeing the fan sub version

Series I've purchased solely due to fansubs:

The original Harlock
Dokkoida
Figure17
Maison Ikkoku
Kimagura Orange Road
... and several others.

The other 600 odd DVDs I own, I managed to make descisions on by myself.

strategos 2004-12-12 23:02

I remember my first fan sub series. It was Gundam wing. After I saw it I decided to buuy. It was so cool. I also buyed because the dubs were so cool.

there got to be more people that has bought American version after seeing the fan sub version
post people post now :)

Tabiree 2004-12-13 00:04

*looks at nails*

Uhh... none?

Sakaki 2004-12-13 00:51

None.. I have over 500 anime dvds and vhs tapes, I probably picked up 8 or 9 shows on vhs fansubs. and 4 or 5 of the internet. ( I mainly get live action J-dramas off of the net, which probably will never be available on R1 dvds. So I started coming here because of the LA Sailor Moon show)

I had picked up the vhs tapes of things like the 3rd season of Slayers and the Evangelion movies, but I would have bought them at the time if they were available, which I did later.

Probalby the only 2 that fansubing helped me deciecd would be Planets and kodomo no omicha. And Plantes I would most likely have picked up anyway.

Atom_Bunny 2004-12-13 03:24

have bought/buying due to seeing on fansub

Pretear
King of Bandit Jing
Nadesico + Movie

will buy when available/have funds

DNAngel
Getbackers
Azumanga Daioh
Kyou Kara Maou
Sakigake! Cromartie High
Tenchi OVAs
Oh! My Goddess Movie

manga I have bought/will buy because of seeing fansubs of the Anime (and maybe one day, when funds permit, I will buy the anime too)

Chobits
Angelic Layer
Gravitation
DNAngel
Fruits Basket
Pretear
GetBackers
Onegai teacher
Prince of Tennis
DearS

I also bought (not because of fansubs)

Gundam Wing + movie
Utena + Movie
Sailor moon S/SuperS + Movies
Card Captor Sakura + Movies
Ranma 1/2 + Movies + OVA
Saber Marionette J/J again/J-X
Evangelion
Oh! My Goddess OVA
Plus other various movies (including Pokemon movies cos I'm sad :P)

Atom XX

LynnieS 2004-12-13 06:10

Due to fansubs:

"Aishiteruze Baby" volume 3 (R2) - Now
"Aishiteruze Babe" volume 4 (R2) - January
"Karakuri-zoushi Ayatsuri Sakon" voumes 1 through 6 (R2) - TBD
"Karakuri-zoushi Ayatsuri Sakon" volume 8 (R2) - Now

Partially due to fansubs:

"Happy Lesson The Final" volume 2 (R2) - March
"Someday's Dreamer" volumes 2 through end (R2) - TBD
"Scrapped Princess" various volumes box sets (R2) - TBD

Due to other circumstances:

"Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verite" volume 4 (R2) - February
"Hanaukyo Maid Tai La Verite" volumes 5 through 6 (R2) - TBD
"Maburaho" volume 10 box set (R2) - January
"Zeta Gundam" box set (R1) - Now

Edit - Due to fansubs, and have no interest on starting:

"Happy Lesson"

Edit - Due to fansubs, and am thinking about starting/continuing:

"Hikaru no Go" (R1?) - Start
"Gundam SEED" (R1) - Continue
"Kiddy Grade" (R1) - Start
"Stellvia" (R1) - Start

Not due to fansubs, and am thinking about starting:

"W Wish"
"Final Approach"
"Futakoi"

A lot of the others are up in the air, and depending on circumstances like finding a cheap copy of a DVD for example; I'll fill out the series little by little, then. Not listing anything that I bought on my own; this will be one long post, then. ;)

The Perfection 2004-12-13 06:57

I have the following anime

Evangelion
Full Metal Panic
Stellvia of the Universe
Card Captor Sakura
Chobits
Onegai Teacher
Gravitation
Initial D series

Will buy:

Kiddy Grade

Lady_D 2004-12-13 09:30

It wouldn't be practical for me to name them, since 95% of the anime DVDs I buy are ones I've screened via fansub. I am an anime collector and I have over 300 anime DVDs. Since I have a good deal of money invested in my collection it wouldn't make sense to chance it on an anime that I haven't seen first. Out goes the theory that people who watch fansubs don't buy the DVDs! The truth is that if I didn't have the fansubs available, I probably wouldn't have 2/3ds of my collection.

7thMethuselah 2004-12-13 10:02

There are quite some shows I check out via fansubs but to me that isn't the only means to preview/discover/check out/etc a series. I think that about half the stuff I buy is stuff I prewatched via fansubs, the other half would be trading DVD's with friends and of course TV. Only a minority of shows get bought due to people saying it's good, and without previewing, Kino no Tabi and Now and then, Here and there being the most recent examples.
There are also shows I love but have not been licensed yet : KgNE anyone?

LynnieS 2004-12-13 10:57

Edit - Looks like the mods are really cracking down on this thread. :) I'm going to run this by the mods first, then.

Forbin 2004-12-13 13:38

Kare Kano - I have both Bootleg and Official and I like the official US version better.

For me it's

Maburaho! When is that thing coming out damnit! :)