AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why relationship Male Mc and Female Mc as lovers ? why not become rival or enemy ? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=148170)

Saint rider 890 2017-05-13 07:27

Why relationship Male Mc and Female Mc as lovers ? why not become rival or enemy ?

So i just wonder why relationship between Male Mc and Female Mc end up as lovers ? why not become rivals or enemy ?

Of course i know there an anime with relationship between Male and Female Protagonist end up as sister and friend but the mayority is they end up as lover.

Obelisk ze Tormentor 2017-05-13 13:29

Why lovers? Well, it's because most MCs are generally good people worth rooting for -> audience want to see the characters they root for being rewarded & happy -> one of the sources of true happiness is romantic love -> one of the best candidates for romantic love in fiction is the opposite-sex MCs -> voila! It's that simple, and it doesn't only apply to animanga works but in most fictional story media written by mankind.

Of course there will always be good exceptions, and as ironic as it is, it's usually the shonen animanga which break that "male MC x female Mc" formula. So, if you don't want to see male MC ended up with female MC, you might want to follow shonen series. Here's some examples of series where male MCs & female MCs only ended up as best-friends:
Spoiler for pairing-spoilers for those who haven't read/watch those popular shonen series:

As for male MCs & female MCs who ended up as enemy/rivals in the end, well, there are Blue Dragon, Shokugeki no Souma (if that counts) and other titles that escaped my memory right now. So yeah, it is rare.

Archon_Wing 2017-05-13 17:00

That would actually be pretty cool, but people lack imagination

Mad Pierrot 2017-05-13 19:42

In series with dark narratives, lovers could imply one of the two love birds dying. I think this was said by the writer of Gundam Wing tv series. Still about the current D.Gray-man
Spoiler for spoilers:

In another take, the author of Rurouni Kenshin, Nobuhiro Watsuki, said that every shonen manga should have a happy ending during the Jinchu arc due to
Spoiler for spoiler of Kenshin's manga.:

Applehell 2017-05-14 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Wing (Post 6084201)
That would actually be pretty cool, but people lack imagination

It's been done. See Gundam 00 and Code Geass as examples, granted they are not rivals, but they aren't lovers either.

It's just not all that common, at least in the ones with a strong romance presence.

Arya 2017-05-14 08:36

Ah, true, gundam 00 had no romance (still the princess wasn't a main character you rarely saw her IIRC); Nejimaki Seirei Senki has been hinted there won't be romance (and even they could become enemies,) well or so has been suggested at least.
In regard of CG it would have been interesting for Suzaku to be a female in terms of dynamics, but on the other hands it was already a show filled with girls so, I don't know. Or back to the original, a female Athrun, but in that case (s)he would have fallen fully into the osananajimi ground, ground that is usually manured with nothing else than romance.

I would add to Obelisk ze Tormentor's explanation, which I agree with, that writing romance is kinda easier (not going into details about the quality of writing here) since you can rely on the cliche and audience expectations, while going against it will require double efforts to break them.

Personally in any case I prefer shows that have it in respect to the ones who don't.

Saint rider 890 2017-05-14 09:45

Thanks for responce my thread .

I fell really frustation because mayority anime always pushing Male Mc and Female mc become lovers .

Sometimes i just wonder why there no anime , manga , LN where Male Mc and Female MC end up become rival / enemy .

it will better if they fell jealousy about each other because she / he surpass hìm / her in term of Inteligince , fighting and power . They starting have rival felling for each other then become enemy and end up starting killing each other . They will not end up as lover but as rival or enemy.

Tenzen12 2017-05-17 08:13

I agree with what Obelisk said too.

I just would like add, that being lovers, rivals and/or even is not actually necessarily exclusive. Just because characters fall in love or start dating doesn't mean they will loose their free will after all.

Naomi~ 2017-05-17 18:23

Cause people love that cheesy stuff lol

DragonOsman 2017-05-19 09:26

@Saint rider: It's possible for lovers to be rivals. Look at Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan.

Saint rider 890 2017-05-19 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonOsman (Post 6086139)
@Saint rider: It's possible for lovers to be rivals. Look at Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan.

Don't want because the male mc and female mc still lovers .

It will better if Male and Female they don't love each other , become rival until the end .

Saint rider 890 2017-05-19 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenzen12 (Post 6085363)
I agree with what Obelisk said too.

I just would like add, that being lovers, rivals and/or even is not actually necessarily exclusive. Just because characters fall in love or start dating doesn't mean they will loose their free will after all.

Still don't want because they still lovers . I just prefer if they become rival without romance to each other .

Tenzen12 2017-05-20 13:27

Well in that case you would have to write gay MC, lesbian heroine or kill one of them before anything happen.

Edit: Or one significantly older, married and with children.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2017-05-21 04:15

On a tangent note, it is interesting in Gundam 00 that Graham considers Setsuna as his rival, but Setsuna appear to never ever knew who Graham was.

And that's just what happens when characters don't really know each other.

As for the original point; there is a simple reason why the two main characters get romantically involved. Namely, because Romance is interesting.

With story telling, you want to have a story that is entertaining. To have a story you need characters. And to have interesting characters, you pick a time when the characters are at a most exciting point in their lives.

Look at it the other way. You don't write two characters to show them fall in love. You have two characters and you pick the most interesting part of their life to portray on screen. And assuming the two characters eventually become a couple, you would then deliberately pick the time when they first met and fall in love.

Falling in love is a major moment in a person's life, and causes massive changes. That is narratively interesting. Much the same way as a show might portray a story either at the outbreak of war, or just before a war ended. When things cause "changes". When A becomes B.

Saint rider 890 2017-05-26 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant (Post 6086860)
On a tangent note, it is interesting in Gundam 00 that Graham considers Setsuna as his rival, but Setsuna appear to never ever knew who Graham was.

And that's just what happens when characters don't really know each other.

As for the original point; there is a simple reason why the two main characters get romantically involved. Namely, because Romance is interesting.

With story telling, you want to have a story that is entertaining. To have a story you need characters. And to have interesting characters, you pick a time when the characters are at a most exciting point in their lives.

Look at it the other way. You don't write two characters to show them fall in love. You have two characters and you pick the most interesting part of their life to portray on screen. And assuming the two characters eventually become a couple, you would then deliberately pick the time when they first met and fall in love.

Falling in love is a major moment in a person's life, and causes massive changes. That is narratively interesting. Much the same way as a show might portray a story either at the outbreak of war, or just before a war ended. When things cause "changes". When A becomes B.

Sadly in Gundam 00 have male - male rival relationship not male -female rival relationship .

About fall in love ? You can make male lead or female fall in love one support character so Male lead and Female lead still have rival felling and they not fall in love with each other .

Sheba 2017-05-29 04:21

While it can be compelling to see stories about friends becoming the worst enemies, like Berserk and Gungrave have shown. Rivals and enemies kind of stories means that the audience will be very polarized, as shown by the debates of morality in the Death Note and Code Geass fandom.

Now genderswap any of the two sides and you will see another dimension added to the entire dichotomy, with unfortunate implications. As shown in today's media, with nowadays fandoms (especially those in tumblr), the male/female dichotomy may eventually sparkle something that people like me have grown tired and weary of. Maybe in the next decades; we will see a compelling story of male MC and female MC starting as friends/lovers and becoming bitter rivals/enemies. But now? Its too volatile.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2017-05-30 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba (Post 6089828)
Maybe in the next decades; we will see a compelling story of male MC and female MC starting as friends/lovers and becoming bitter rivals/enemies. But now? Its too volatile.

See, the problem here is that you are trying to portray a breakup, effectively. This can be meaningful, but it is easy for your entire premise to be rejected just because the audience might not want to watch a breakup happen.

Only a small group of people watch to watch a loving relationship fall apart leading to murder and despair. Everyone else would rather spend their money elsewhere. You could be telling the best story in the world, but if your tale leads to uncomfortablwe places people have the right to walk out.

Love stories are popular because it feels good to watch. Inverting it have the inverted effect. There is a market, it just isn't very large.

Key Board 2017-05-30 07:28

The most important role in a shounen manga aside from the protagonist is the rival
but it does not seem you can share that role with the heroine of the story

Shokugeki no Soma, kinda tried to do that, but it seems to have backpedaled
It's a shame, really

I remember there being a Korean manga/manhwa titled Veritas, where the rival is a girl
That one seems to be on hiatus as well

//

Rinvelt 2017-05-30 10:03

The Unexplored Summon://Blood-Sign Light Novel.

The main heroine is the main antagonist.

0cean 2017-10-27 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint rider 890 (Post 6083836)
So i just wonder why relationship between Male Mc and Female Mc end up as lovers ? why not become rivals or enemy ?

Just think about it for a minute. In what kind of setting would it make sense for enemies to hang out all the time? And if they rarely meet each other, how can they both be protagonists without one of them being delegated to that character the real protagonist has to beat?

Also, if you manage to get them to share time, it will just lead to romance anyway, like in Hataraku Maou-sama. Because, why else would they even want to share time?