AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Current Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   (CR) Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=158944)

Stark700 2023-02-15 20:03

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries)

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries) is getting an anime adaptation. Coming this year.

Plot:

Quote:

Maomao, a young woman trained in the art of herbal medicine, is forced to work as a lowly servant in the inner palace. Though she yearns for life outside its perfumed halls, she isn't long for a life of drudgery! Using her wits to break a "curse" afflicting the imperial heirs, Maomao attracts the attentions of the handsome eunuch Jinshi and is promoted to attendant food taster. But Jinshi has other plans for the erstwhile apothecary, and soon Maomao is back to brewing potions and solving mysteries?
PV:

[EDIT]Episode discussion begins here[/EDIT]

Frontier 2023-02-15 20:53

Animation looks phenomenal, music sounds phenomenal, Aoi Yuki as Maomao is phenomenal :love:!

Huh...? 2023-02-15 22:11

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...larnxagia1.png

Marina2 2023-02-15 22:13

Oh, this is one of the gem of LN

I have been wondering why it doesn't get anime until now. The PV looks promising.

kari-no-sugata II 2023-02-15 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stark700 (Post 6540109)

Glad that the production values seem high. Really suits a series like this.

Maomao's voice didn't seem quite right to me though. I don't mind the unlady-like and brash tone but more of a hint of madness would have been nice :eyespin:

MCAL 2023-02-15 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontier (Post 6540113)
Aoi Yuki as Maomao is phenomenal :love:!

One of those "You couldn't imagine it being anyone else" casting choices there.

Guardian Enzo 2023-02-15 23:15

Thought that was ufotable at first.

Twi 2023-02-15 23:41

Oh, it's beautiful.

Marcus H. 2023-02-15 23:57

After Saiunkoku Monogatari and Koukyuu no Karasu, here comes yet another court intrigue series to watch out for. I totally like the depiction of the imperial city, it is more lively and vivid than the more down-to-earth approach made by BNP for Koukyuu, and there's some crime-solving involved too! Definitely looking forward.

Last Sinner 2023-02-16 03:01

This was the one title I wanted adapted. And I am PSYCHED!

If House was a female, they'd be Maomao. I adore that cynical, driven, inquisitive, reckless woman.

And now I wait for what will hopefully be one of the all-time greats.

Tenzen12 2023-02-17 09:01

I wouldn't go that far though. Maomao might be crazy but she is still unquestionally good person and I think that disqualify her from being female House...

Last Sinner 2023-02-17 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenzen12 (Post 6540255)
I wouldn't go that far though. Maomao might be crazy but she is still unquestionally good person and I think that disqualify her from being female House...

I'd personally argue that House was a good person but broken by a mixture of pain and what he was best at being what was worst for him over time.

Perhaps I'd rephrase it as that brief glimpse you get of House before pain and his demons got to him, but still with some of that cynicism and recklessness post-affliction - that's how I see Maomao. They're both in medicinal scenarios, they're both Sherlocks, they are both extreme, they are both blunt. And they are ultimately people you need if you're going to find the answer.

It is a compliment. And that's all I can say thus far from a non-spoiler context given the blurb and the first few pages of the first volume vibed that.

Guardian Enzo 2023-02-17 18:28

I agree that House was a good person deep (deep!) down, and that's why other good people like Wilson never could quit him despite his desperate efforts to push them away.

This is confirmed 2 cour, BTW. FFS please don't air in spring.

ryllharu 2023-02-17 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II (Post 6540122)
Maomao's voice didn't seem quite right to me though. I don't mind the unlady-like and brash tone but more of a hint of madness would have been nice :eyespin:

I'm the same. I know she played Maomao in the drama CD, but Yuuki Aoi's voice in the PV doesn't really fit the character for me the way she's portrayed in the manga or LN.

It's the 'older' edge of Yuuki Aoi's character ranges instead of energetic/apathetic binary teen who everyone thinks is younger than she is, and...not particular "feline" enough?

I always imagined her closer to Minase Inori.

scififan 2023-02-17 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryllharu (Post 6540304)

It's the 'older' edge of Yuuki Aoi's character ranges instead of energetic/apathetic binary teen who everyone thinks is younger than she is, and...not particular "feline" enough?

If you want a feline character, Cartoon Network has Maomao for you.

There is no other complaint so far. Speculators say no more about their freckle obsession.

ryllharu 2023-02-18 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by scififan (Post 6540313)
If you want a feline character, Cartoon Network has Maomao for you.

There is no other complaint so far. Speculators say no more about their freckle obsession.

I think you misunderstand.

Maomao's name (猫猫) is basically "Cat-Cat," and you can see in the trailer she gets treated as one for comedic effect (0:55).

In terms of voice acting, Yuuki Aoi's voice in the trailer is not as mischievous and energetic, or as non-plussed and lazy as I expected it to be. Hence, "feline" like.

Kazu-kun 2023-02-18 18:41

Well it's just a trailer, and it doesn't have a lot of dialog in it either. Let's just wait and see.

In any case, I'm so happy this is getting an anime. I fell in love with the manga and read every new chapter religiously. I can't wait to see this in full anime glory.

Frontier 2023-02-18 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryllharu (Post 6540332)

Maomao's name (猫猫) is basically "Cat-Cat," and you can see in the trailer she gets treated as one for comedic effect (0:55).

In terms of voice acting, Yuuki Aoi's voice in the trailer is not as mischievous and energetic, or as non-plussed and lazy as I expected it to be. Hence, "feline" like.

Knowing her past work, I definitely think she can pull it off :).

ryllharu 2023-02-18 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frontier (Post 6540364)
Knowing her past work, I definitely think she can pull it off :).

She absolutely can, especially given some of her more recent work, which is some of the best in her career thus far. Just not who I expected to get cast, since I don't listen to drama CDs.

scififan 2023-02-19 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryllharu (Post 6540332)

I think you misunderstood Maomoa's character, by only referring to the meaning of her name. Again, Mamo from Caroon Network is the human character with his cat attitude.
Spoiler: