AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Fansub Groups (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Touch release frequency (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=17988)

satsuke 2004-07-30 12:31

Touch release frequency

Just wondering if anyone has any comment on the frequency of the Touch releases we've been doing.

Does one episode a day too much / overload the download capacity of those interested in this series? - or would batch torrents be better or less often releases be better ?

If anyone cares, we've got episodes completed up to episode 38 at this point ..

Satsuke

Soulfang 2004-07-30 12:51

I'd suggest doing batch torrents if you're going to release this much. Since Touch is a what, 101 episode series or so, I suggest doing batches by tens.

Knuckles 2004-07-30 13:03

I like either 1 episode a day (because I have limited download) or batch with 3 episodes, maybe 2 a week.
Batch of 10's is more 2GB and takes me 2-3 days to download, so I like CD size Batchs more.

xris 2004-07-30 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by satsuke
Does one episode a day too much / overload the download capacity of those interested in this series? - or would batch torrents be better or less often releases be better ?

About a year ago we ran a number of polls asking what sort of release frequency and batch size people would prefer (as part of our Torrents releases of older series).

I seem to remember that "CD-sized" batches were the most popular. In the case of your release of Touch, it would mean three episodes for each batch (as they appear to be around 200Mb each). The "one ep per day" is not so bad, so it would mean two batched a week. In fact, exactly as Knuckles stated :)

It certainly helps long term if you do batch them and as mentioned, "CD-sized" batches seemed to be the most popular. Releasing them over the next month will certainly make people be aware of them (a new torrent every day (or two batches a week) appearing on AnimeSuki) and this in itself will help the distribution.

Soulfang 2004-07-30 15:07

The only reason I'm suggesting larger than CD-sized batches is because of the sheer size of the series. I'd rather not download ~34 batches.

Onakra 2004-07-30 17:31

Not really in response to your question, but is there any chance your group will release the scripts somewhere in the future?

Touch is finally coming to (legal) DVD and I'm definitively going to buy it.
With my Japanese I can follow most of it, but having some scripts always comes in handy. Anyway, thanks for considering.

kuru 2004-07-30 17:32

Quote:

Satsuke

One episode a day is pretty good, imho. It's not too much for me. I'm not a fan of batches.

Quote:

If anyone cares, we've got episodes completed up into the 40s at this point ..
Satsuke

That's really good news. I've know some Central Anime fansubs of Touch from the VHS times and all of them were just reworks of the NT-Anime fansubs (as the first episodes of the digital version continue to be). This made me afraid you'd go further the point NT stopped. Really good news, as Touch is one of the best anime series ever.

Elepsis 2004-07-30 17:37

As another person who's been working on Touch for quite a while, I'm wondering if your versions are actually digital fansubs or not. Your encode's quality is too high to be a VHS rip, but your subs don't seem to be produced digitally.

Soulfang 2004-07-30 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elepsis
As another person who's been working on Touch for quite a while, I'm wondering if your versions are actually digital fansubs or not. Your encode's quality is too high to be a VHS rip, but your subs don't seem to be produced digitally.

Looks like JS. Also, the video is ripped from the HK DVDs, I can tell from the washed out colors.

7thMethuselah 2004-07-30 18:07

Best method would be batches, but don't go over 1 Gb because those will be a pain to dl for people who have download limits (and thus have to wait for bandwidth to become available).

Imho 10 episode batches are evil, those take a couple of days (nights) to dl while smaller batches can be done in 1 time.

Releasing 1 episode a day isn't too much for me, but for long term you will have to switch to baches anyway in order to keep torrents more easilly seeded

satsuke 2004-07-30 19:21

Quote:

It's LaserDisc source through a genlock off an Amiga running Jacosub. We left the LD opening on the first episode intentionally as a sort of nod to it's source.

From further down in this chain, we don't use HK bootlegs for anything, the washout is partially to get the brightness down into NTSC safe levels .. the source is so bright it washes out the details (and if anyone has a preprocessing idea through vdub or AVIsynth to reduce luminance without darkening the whole thing, please PM me).

At this point we'll be doing once a day with a batch torrent of probably 3 - 5 episodes every few days, right now the individual torrents are keeping themselves seeded pretty good to warrent breaking it up this early on.

Satsuke

ff7799 2004-07-30 19:49

Soul Stop encouraging them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulfang
I'd suggest doing batch torrents if you're going to release this much. Since Touch is a what, 101 episode series or so, I suggest doing batches by tens.

Soulfang 2004-07-30 20:09

Quote:

It's LaserDisc source through a genlock off an Amiga running Jacosub. We left the LD opening on the first episode intentionally as a sort of nod to it's source.

From further down in this chain, we don't use HK bootlegs for anything, the washout is partially to get the brightness down into NTSC safe levels .. the source is so bright it washes out the details (and if anyone has a preprocessing idea through vdub or AVIsynth to reduce luminance without darkening the whole thing, please PM me).

At this point we'll be doing once a day with a batch torrent of probably 3 - 5 episodes every few days, right now the individual torrents are keeping themselves seeded pretty good to warrent breaking it up this early on.

Satsuke

Oh, sorry for accusing you of such a thing. I just noticed that the picture looked very similar to the HK DVDs I've seen floating around.

Elepsis 2004-07-30 21:08

Thanks for the clarification. Is work currently ongoing on the episodes beyond 40, or will you stop when you reach that episode?

And SoulFang, all the raws for Touch are pretty awful, including ones captured directly off its many TV repeats. They're all rather soft and oversaturated.

lordwu 2004-07-30 21:48

Hopefully the DVD releease will be better, PQ wise....

Soulfang 2004-07-30 22:41

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. Is work currently ongoing on the episodes beyond 40, or will you stop when you reach that episode?

And SoulFang, all the raws for Touch are pretty awful, including ones captured directly off its many TV repeats. They're all rather soft and oversaturated.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD boxset when it's released.

Yamano667 2004-07-30 22:57

Hong Kong Distributers have touch all 101 and whatever episodes on DVD.
Just search on Ebay :) Well I dont know if thats a licensed source ?!

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD boxset when it's released.

kuru 2004-07-30 23:00

Quote:

From a recent post on AnimeonDVD forum :

Touch DVD-BOX

Price: 92,400 yen (Including tax)
Release date: 11/26/2004
Catalog Number: TDV3249D
Running Time: 2500 minutes

18 discs (17 + 1 bonus disc), all 101 episodes, new digitally remastered print, new original box art by Mitsuru Adachi, deluxe booklet, picture label discs and a bonus CD.

Already up for pre-order at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002M3U5S/

Source: http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~nekoneko...topi20034.html

From other post in the same thread Toho's page for the release

Soulfang 2004-07-31 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuru
From a recent post on AnimeonDVD forum :

Touch DVD-BOX

Price: 92,400 yen (Including tax)
Release date: 11/26/2004
Catalog Number: TDV3249D
Running Time: 2500 minutes

18 discs (17 + 1 bonus disc), all 101 episodes, new digitally remastered print, new original box art by Mitsuru Adachi, deluxe booklet, picture label discs and a bonus CD.

Already up for pre-order at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002M3U5S/

Source: http://www.venus.dti.ne.jp/~nekoneko...topi20034.html

From other post in the same thread Toho's page for the release

Yikes, 92,400 yen.

/me saves his milk money

Thyrz 2004-08-01 18:09

I prefer 1 per day since Im no fan of batch files. keep up the good work.

thanks ;)