View Single Post
Old 2007-09-21, 16:40   Link #474
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
I think I'm judging "better soldier" in terms of following orders quickly. Athrun is preferable in other jobs, and I think most of us would like to be more easily compared to Athrun as a person rather than Shinn (Athrun's ability to think for himself is something I think we'd all, myself included, like to think we can do). Athrun, is, in the end, a person who can follow what he ultimately believes in, no matter what outside interference comes. This is not the formula for "a good soldier." I have difficulty picturing someone who hesitates whenever they need to pull a trigger as being the type a commander would want to have in their unit... Granted, Athrun doesn't hesitate THAT much, but I think most people in charge would prefer to not worry about their subordinates constantly worrying if they made the right choice. Of course, Athrun was in a more commanding role in SEED Destiny, so we didn't get to see that, and in SEED, until a little before the end of his time in ZAFT, he tended to just follow orders.

Quote:
Heck, as for the Destiny Plan placing people in work that they would be good at by the code of their genes, do you know how good of a plan that actually would be?! If it would work perfectly, it'd mean the end of unemployment and perhaps even the end of all poverty.
There are two ways to look at the destiny plan.

1. This is a way to end poverty. Everyone will be employed, and it's a way to make sure almost everyone is happy. Yes, there will probably be some people would still be depressed and have problems with life, but that's a natural part of being human and can't be helped. As a matter of fact, therapists will have been perfectly selected for their jobs, so they'll be the best the world has ever seen, if all goes properly. War won't ever have to happen again, it'd become a thing of the past, since, with everyone working under one system, there won't be any enemy anymore. It'll all fit, just like pieces of a puzzle.

2. The destiny plan undermines the power of human determination. Yes, perhaps one person's genes are better suited to one task than another, yes, perhaps the person has all the prerequisites in his DNA, but that doesn't mean that they're going to want to work in the job their assigned. People dream, people have aspirations, and those who work hard have always been able to overcome their difficulties. Setting up a system where, no matter how hard a person works, they still can't change where they are in life is simply inhumane.

I tried to make those sound about even. The truth of the matter is that I swing back and forth in my opinion on this, but in the end, I know I'd hate to be trapped in one job against my will, and I know that simply realizing I was trapped would be enough to make me want to do somethin' else. From a purely impersonal standpoint, yes, the destiny plan looks like it could work. So does communism, and democracy could, just like the destiny plan, end poverty "if it all works right." It's designed by humans. Nothing designed by humans works to it's full potential, whether it runs out of batteries, malfunctions, runs slow, breaks, or doesn't work at all.

Quote:
No...Dully's plan wasn't bad...Dully's implementation was just horrible. Then again, I really think that the producers didn't give Dully's character enough thought...why would he send a few mobile suits to take out Lacus when he knew the Freedom was hiding there, when the Seirans would have been a far easier target?
Two ideas here. Maybe Dullindal was planning on making Cagalli his puppet when he met with her in the first episode of Destiny, but she proved too different, ideologically speaking, from him. Then he found Athrun. By the way, did Dully know that Freedom was there with Lacus? I didn't think he did.
Azure22 is offline   Reply With Quote