View Single Post
Old 2007-09-24, 16:17   Link #2309
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No one has done a complete series yet. Guerrand stepped in when the other groups got blindsided by RL for a few weeks.

Which group to prefer kind of depends on your tastes.
A.F.K. does really professional typesetting and karaoke, until last month they were really "on time every time". Their font is easy to read but the color choice blends into the background and their dialog placement sometimes interferes with the action because of Lucky*Star's penchant for putting talking heads in the bottom of the screen. Their translation style is to equivalence what a japanese might say with an equivalent american character might say. So some of the japanese wordplay is lost or converted... this makes it sound more "local" for american viewers but on occasion may introduce a joke or catchphrase that simply wasn't originally there.
Guerrand is more strict on the translation but they jumped when the other groups took a breather. They've also chosen not to do the karaoke. So far they're the only ones to have done the latter part of the series. Their font style is a bit perfunctory but that goes with speed subbing, though for speed subbing it is actually a very good job.
EnA (caveat: my personal favorite) strikes a good balance in their translation, I like the color coded subtitles, and I find their font the easiest to read. However, they've been MIA on the series since late summer.
Wind was the subber of choice for the "footnotes galore" paniponidash viewer, but they went MIA on the series after only a few episodes.

No one has actually announced they're dropping L*S that I know of.
So, at the moment, I have some EnA, some a.f.k. and some Guerrand.