View Single Post
Old 2007-11-08, 14:08   Link #8
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

I'm not really into the whole sword stuff as some of the people here. meaning I don't collect them or I don't do extensive research on them, but I like them because ... well there's something beautiful about them.
My two favorite swords are:
1. The Roman Gladius.
2. The Medieval Arming sword.

The Gladius is one of my favorites because of it's aesthetic appearance and the usefulness in cramped spaces.
The Arming sword. A knight in shining armor says it all. A good all-round sword, useful for slashing, cutting, thrusting. In other words, a perfect tool every knight needs to uphold the light.

P.S. I wonder where does all the crap about the Katana comes from? Almost everyone I have asked says, that this sword is the ultimate, kickass weapon, etc, and saying that it can cut trough plate armor, slice other swords in half and more. And I hate that most Animes do nothing to prove that it's wrong.
And I also hate when movies display European swords (Especially two-handed swords) as heavy and unwieldy.

P.P.S. Why in most Animes if the hero uses a sword other than Katana it turns out to be a large two-handed sword? Do only Katanas and Claymores exist in the world of Anime?