View Single Post
Old 2007-11-09, 15:07   Link #333
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
So have I. In a Texan public school, I once saw a history teacher who taught that Roman Empire was the largest empire in history, and when a student corrected him by mentioning the Monglian empire, he was disciplined.
He was very subjectively pro-confederate while teaching the American Civil War, and when covering the Vietnam War, he repeatedly insisted that US did not "lose" the war, they simply retreated.

The man's real job was a coach for the school's football team, btw.

So to hyperlion:
Western history classes does not "do better job" than those in the east.
Well that's just one class and my history teacher teaches us to be very critical and ask questions. And this is just what I think, western culture is more open to free thinking then the eastern culture, in the west there were many great thinkers like John Locke, Thomas Hoobes, Henry Thoreau (only on civil disobediences really), and others from enlightenment era. So looking at that I do think that western culture do promote more of free thinking and which I think is really needed for teaching history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Wasn't the Abe Administration also criticized for trying to censor history textbooks that didn't portray Japan in a particularly good light during WWII, but were found to be historically accurate and accredited. Wouldn't this also imply that Japan has had it's bouts over bias and accuracy in the classroom.
I heard about that but I don't much about it, as far as I heard it was about comfort women during World War II.

Last edited by Terrestrial Dream; 2007-11-09 at 15:29.
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote