View Single Post
Old 2008-02-02, 16:45   Link #19
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
I am quite concerned about the air pollution, but knowing chinese stringent policies in such situations I would not be surprised, if every smoky plant was shut down for the time the olympic games are held.
Please don't let that stop anyone from going to the Olympic Games in person. Normally, yes, it's pretty bad, especially in recent years. However, they are shutting down not only industrial production around the area, traffic is also kept to a bare minimum weeks in advance. Drastic measures will be taken for the health of both visitors and athletes.

Although this is probably the only time the Olympic games are going to be held in my hometown in history, the expense of plane tickets and seating for a crappy view doesn't really justify going, IMHO.

Why all this talk of politics? Isn't the purpose of the Olympics to put aside politics for a while and take part in a friendly and global competition? Of course, reality isn't so simple, but I think we should at least try to respect the spirit of the games.