View Single Post
Old 2008-03-28, 10:25   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

[Danger! Incoming BIG wall of text]

CLANNAD was most likely one of the few series I enjoyed to the fullest: expectations from Kanon or whatnot, the touch and atmosphere shown in the trailers were quite nice appetizers, but they certainly didn't make false advertizing of what the story would be.

Enjoyement speaking, CLANNAD is difficult to put in a specific category as the story and characters are versatile and quite colorful to the point of being fit in many situations without much troubles.

Is the quality only centred on the characters? well, I don't think so:

1) Image Quality:

1.1 Sakuga
The art is once again done by Ikeda Kazumi: large eyes and a gloss effects here and there. Personally, I was never troubled by Hotaru Inoue design, and it is quite refreshing to see Ikeda with the same one, with even further details and such.
Colors, smooth outlines, etc: CLANNAD has a very eyecandy side, especially the eyes: sometimes overkill, these are so detailed that expressions of the characters are natural and so forth (which is not only restricted to girls, but to the guys as well, be it Tomoya, Youhei or Akio).
Even if some episodes were inconsistent here and there (most notably, episode 19), the efforts and details are really impressive.

In comparison with Kanon, I believe CLANNAD is much more attractive, in an artistic sense, for the amount of backgrounds, colors and such.

1.2 Animation
The animation is... sometimes overboard.
The nice strength in CLANNAD is the various details which give more life to the characters: some hand gestures (non verbal communication) during a character speech (see Akio's scene in 22), some movements done so casually (see how Kotomi switches her sitting pose in episode 4), etc.
It is very smooth and energetic without rare Frame skip.

On the contrary, the Illusionary World sequences are completly overkill (around 24 UNIQUE frames per second) which don't even drop the quality of the said episodes.

In short
The visual quality of CLANNAD is nothing to complain about. Of course, the design itself might repel people who can't stand "moe", but I think it is pretty much superficial to judge and put such prejudice just because the cover of the book is too eye candy or not of one's taste.
The score is almost at the maximum, however, it would really need a constant quality from start to finish to deserve the 10. But that said, CLANNAD is pretty much close to that, for its own genre and material.
9/10

2) Sound Quality:

2.1 Voice Actors
It is simply a prestigeous cast we got here.
Even if this one was already hired by Key for the voiced PS2 version of the Game, it is quite commendable for the studio for being able to get all of them (even the minor/unnamed characters!) to retale the family tale.
Lot of bigshots are presents: Nakahara Mai, Noto Mamiko, Tamura Yukari, Yukino Satsuki, Inoue Kikuko.
Of course, many others great Seiyuu are in the pack, such like Sakaguchi Daisuke, Hirohashi Ryou etc.

Nakamura Yuuichi is quite the only "newbie" among the cast. However, he is hardly behind everyone, giving many tones to Tomoya: fun, sarcasm, lazyness, but also care and strength.

Nakahara Mai, famous for her cute roles such like Ryuuguu Rena (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), Yuzuha (Utawarerumono), Kasugano Midor (Midor no hibi), gave a pure but also strong drama club leader.
What is actually commendable is how she could change her act for the anime versions, as many changes were done (Nagisa is far less "slow" in the anime and so forth).

The list would be quite too long, but each character is pretty much faithful to its material and personality. And if we consider the script, there is nothing to nitpick about.

2.2 Opening / Ending
Mag Mell (or Megumeru - メグメル) is very nice, giving many enchanting and dreamy tones.
In comparison with the original version, I largely prefer the anime versions, for its use of intruments and such.

As for Dango Daikazoku, it is quite simple at the first glance, but it stick very well with the sequence but also with the general theme of the series.

2.3 Inserted Songs
There weren't many inserted song, but their timing and so concluded quite well the most powerful scenes of the series (Ana for Fuuko, etc.)

2.4 BGM
Pretty much faithful to their reputation, KyoAni sticked with the source material, to the point of being hardcore, along with some remix.
The timing of most if not all is quite nice, and there is little to no momentum break, such like awkward or undesired silence at a wrong moment or so.

Keeping the original soundtrack was the best move here, as each character respective BGM just represents so well their personality and much more.

In short
Faithfulness to a scary degree, CLANNAD might suffer of some "unpolished/non modern" feel in some BGM. Aside of it, the sound environment is vibrant, giving a consequent immersion along with the visual qualities.
10/10

3) Script:

3.1 Characters:
The strongest point of CLANNAD: a huge, but coherent cast. Colorful and full of chemistry, the characters of CLANNAD just apose a sympathic and empathic universe.

The 5 main girls were pretty much representing the usual "archtypes" though they quickly standed on their own merits.
But much like I said before, the chemistry itself is working so well that it is giving a proper and coherent string of interactions to the point that Tomoya is hardly the center (which gives even more reason not to call Clannad as a "harem").

Quirks, fun and various other things shroud the characters in their daily life.

Tomoya was truely a male lead that most person can accept, considering its backstory, but also stance and actions: he is not a super hero, nor a jerk. He is simply a character who was torn by his past and predicament, but who can't leave things bad when it is arround him.
Altruism? Well, he is far more social and helpful than he might think.

Nagisa is the "too cute to be true" at first, but she is not acting "for the hell of it" and has a specific environment for this. Nagisa is pure, kind and so, but she is not perfect and is aware of that. Too self unconfident? Probably, but that is hardly something at fault.
That said, despite her terrible shyness, Nagisa is able to overcome it and grows steadly and nicely along with Tomoya, turning the situation into a plain natural harmony (none of the other relationship in the series is as natural as theirs).

Much like Nagisa, Kyou suffered a superficial image of an archtype character, tsundere in her case. However it was quickly wiped for more substancial point, such like an incredible selfness and devotion for the persons close to her: Ryou, Kotomi, but also Nagisa when her romance with Tomoya was set in stone. Complexity of such character is not her only asset, as she also provide many good laughs in combination with Tomoya against Youhei.

Kotomi has a special aura around herself, giving a soothing mood, much like Nagisa but in a very stark different way. Kotomi has a very discrete, yet active presence among the group

Tomoyo was considered by many as "ice queen", but she quickly showed her own warm side (well she always had it before in my eyes ). Straight and hardly as restricted by her own emotions as Nagisa or Kyou, Tomoyo is quite the outstanding girl among the cast.

Fuuko would be the "little animal/hostile little sister" a la aruuruu from utawarerumono, but she demonstrated a very deep and caring side in her trial. Cute and definitely odd, Fuuko brought her own colors.

The main cast itself is quite complete already, but they are accompagnied with many, yet as colorful characters.
Youhei being an interesting comic relief, yet an undeniable essential support for Tomoya in many situations. Ryou is deeply linked to Kyou, but also offer her own contributions with the drama club, etc.

With a cast of 24 characters (yes, Twenty four), CLANNAD gave a plethora of personalities and likable protagonists.

3.2 Story progression
The main "dish" along with the characters, most likely. The definite change here is commendable different storytelling in comparison with Kanon: the scripters decided to keep the characters together, even if they are "done" with their route.
Be it Kotomi or Fuuko, both are still on the boat which is respecting the themes of the series. And keeping this approach, using Nagisa's route as the main vector with everyone involved with her is one of the main praise I would give to the scripters of KyoAni, as this was most likely the weak poin of Nagisa's route in the game: even trying to get all girls, they don't have much interactions with either Tomoya or Nagisa (Kotomi is completely absent for instance).
Fuuko was the pillar of "drama" for CLANNAD. What is actually peculiar and brilliant with her route is: she is not a mere copy of another character from Kanon. Her route is actually not something I would call "tragic", as her fate was already sealed. The true strength of her route, for me, was the resolve and the Iron will Fuuko carried, so she could congratulate Kouko for her weddings.
The blessing itself seems to be simple, but the efforts and meaningness behind it are grand. That's actually the reason I didn't feel exactly sad for Fuuko, but rather overly glad that things could get there despite the alarming "bad end" approaching.

Kotomi's route was on the same category: the drama was kinda affecting the character alone, but the resolution itself is definitely not the drama people would expect. Kotomi's route was more towards how people were trying to "move on". And so, the unity of the group is quite demonstrated here, with the whole group, not Tomoya alone, trying to cheer her up.

Kyou and Tomoyo routes were probably called as the "weakest" routes or so. Considering how they are heavely based on romance, such things wouldn't be alright with Nagisa's route. That said, I certainly disagree with the consensus that they were "shafted" in the process: their routes are of course very rooted with the romance, but it isn't only the sole reason for these to exist. In such, Kyou's route already started around episode 10, while Tomoyo couldn't be present because of her objectives.
Hence it is rather a problem of coherence the scripters preferred to stick on, but also a superficial judgment on "apparant route". Much like Nagisa's, Kyou's and Tomoyo's were already entwined, but of course, much less apparent than the "winner".

Nagisa's route ends the little journey of the School Life arcs, which ends on the most logical conclusion of clannad: the confession and so forth.
This route basically started from episode 1 and unfolded how BOTH Nagisa and Tomoya grew, ALONG with the other characters: In this route, the most important point wasn't really the resolution between Nagisa and her past with her parents, but her own life with everyone in the drama club.

This is why this route is the backbone of CLANNAD, as it is the main vector of the message: family and friendship.

The progression and many choices, well for me, were correct and pertinent. Despite they gambled a lot on possible issues with "lack of events", the scripters sticked with the characters, who are the real point of CLANNAD story.

In short
This series is hardly "dramatic" as people might expect from the same Company which did Air and Kanon. However, if it is so, it is "working as intended". CLANNAD was not meant as a Nakuge, but a story unfolding many characters in their life, with a heartwarming touch. This definitely worked for me, and much like I said on the Character poll, Most if not all characters in CLANNAD are likable.
9.5/10

4) Adaptation from the game
I actually played the game during the 3 weeks break of Christmas. With such, I had a tasted of the series without and with the game knowledge.

To be frank, there isn't much thing to complain about this adaptation:
The scripters had, much like I said before, the great idea to really "combine" the characters between them, being together as any usual group of friends.

The other praise I would mention is probably how they tried to involve everyone (such like Yukine, Mei, etc) in the story, without giving "unecessary cameo" or cluttered moments. That is giving even more cohension and strong bound between the characters, not only the main cast which is really a fresh change, where "secondary characters" in huge cast animes series are usually disappearing midway or so.

Of course, there is some dead end, such like the impossibility to convey fully Tomoyo's, Kyou's but also Mei's, Yukine's, Misae's and many other characters arcs. But they did quite an impressive job, far more challenging than Kanon.

In short
Knowing KyoAni for their past productions, I wasn't exactly worried about the adaptation itself. However, the scripters proved they had many cards under their sleeves to keep their vision of the story extremely close to the original material.
9/10

Conclusion
The anime series would probably suffer a lot of its own fame and hype. However, CLANNAD was really an enjoyable ride: showing an outstanding synergy between the characters, the story was a nice blend of many genre and themes, giving memorables comedy moments and such.

CLANNAD is probably one of my most favourites story/VN, and this adaptation is working wonder. The best among the 3 key games adaptions done by KyoAni for me.

9/10 - Excellent

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and i don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Spoiler for reason for 9/10:
I feel it is kinda a pity that you are giving such prejudice for a mere "feeling". Are you spoiled?
I believe that if you play the game, you would realize that After Story is keeping the winning formula, and adds more on it. Basically, School Life arcs are just a mere appetizer and the true Strength of CLANNAD is shown in AS. I think many people who played the game agree that AS is definitely superior to the school life portion.
Now, it will depends how KyoAni will animate it, but considering what they did for the SL period, I'm really confident in that.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-03-28 at 10:47.