View Single Post
Old 2008-05-15, 00:37   Link #259
osmium
of high density

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84
Much better than lame shopping sprees and workouts.
I can't agree with that: the Zentradi mall sequence was one of the most visually imaginative and fun pieces I've ever seen in anime; and because of it, I'd place episode 5 as one of my favorite episodes in the last decade.
I interpreted this comment as meaning those random episodes where they randomly have a bunch of girls at the beach, or they go shopping, or whatnot, where there isn't any real character development or plot advancement. Often the change of scenery seems to have more to do with being able to draw the characters in interesting outfits in order to take attention away from the fact that that part of the series could probably be removed without any loss of story.

Also like to just put the opinion on the record, I actually appreciate all parts of macross F... which I almost shudder at saying. The music is actually interesting in some sense (classically trained musician, going on 16 years playing, so usually "pop" stuff is waay too simplistic for my taste), the character development is pretty solid (although I find that I need to see multiple translations of some of the lines in order to feel like I've actually got a solid grasp on what was actually said, due to some fairly large differences between some translations, which could just be errors, or could be translational freedoms), and although my computer is waaay too old, yet should have the power to play them, the HD versions are *killing* my frame rate <grin>, but I still like the battle sequences, especially that little barrel roll on the ground move that Alto is so fond of.

-O