View Single Post
Old 2008-05-28, 13:12   Link #1
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Controversial Fansub Documentary

Well, all fansubbers need to watch this and if you feel motivated to do so, respond on the Youtube comments section or on his blog.

LINK

If you are curious about the filmmaker, here is his CV. *link deleted by mod at filmaker's request*

I personally feel that the documentary is as biased as a Michael Moore film and he picked and chose his examples quite well. I definitely feel my group (Live-eviL) does vastly superior work than 99% of the examples he chose.

That being said, he seems to completely miss the idea that fansubbing is about HAVING FUN. It's about hobby, community and competition. And that oneupsmanship and peer-criticized experimentation with a visual media (via textsub, AFX, what have you) is part of the fun. It hasn't been about the "art of translation" for a long time for most experienced fansubbers. His fundamental premise for what fansubs should be is flawed by that omission/oversight. He dismisses this as a weak point but I see it as part of the fun of the community. No competition makes it BORING.

Anyway, discuss amongst yourselves

-Tofu

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-05-29 at 00:42.